Menu

Homeschooling High School without Outsourcing - How Do I Not Go Crazy?!

I do want to stick up a bit for TT. I don’t like their lower classes, but I do like their geometry. I know several STEM kids who went on to be successful in college after using TT. My own oldest ds used Jacobs for Algebra, TT for Geometry, Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc and Saxon for Calculus. He did several post Calculus classes in college and got A’s. He is now working in programming. His best friend did a programming degree after using TT. They also both got SAT scores in the 700’s as did my other two who used TT for geometry and one for pre-Calc as well. I only did use one year (geometry) for my future engineering bc I wanted him to have a richer deeper math background—but I need to be 100% honest that I actually haven’t seen high school level TT hold anyone back in STEM. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, possiblyavampire said:

Thank you so much! That's really helpful; you don't know how much. Your physics lab project sounds really interesting (and doable). I've been panicking a bit about physics labs because it's easy to get biology or chemistry lab kits, but it seems like there are much fewer options for physics. 

Homesciencetools.com has a nice general physics (mechanics) lab kit. They now also make kits that go with various curricula. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, possiblyavampire said:

Thank you so much! That's really helpful; you don't know how much. Your physics lab project sounds really interesting (and doable). I've been panicking a bit about physics labs because it's easy to get biology or chemistry lab kits, but it seems like there are much fewer options for physics. 

I may be able to find all the physics lab instructions if you want them.  In NZ, to earn lab credit in 12th grade for physics, this is one of the labs so it is vetted at a high level. My son's report was a bit OTT because he is mathy, but I might be able to find it also. The labs and write up took about 20ish hours (2 hours per day for 2 weeks, but maybe over 3 weeks so like 30 hours, I can't remember). There were like 4 different pendulum labs, each with a different set up. The goal was data collection, error measurement, mathematical analysis, and appropriate lab write up. But he also had to identify the expected problems and come up with a design to remedy them - so it was not a cookbook lab. Way more problem solving. What I liked about it was the intensity. Not a bit here and there every week for 9 months. We just got in and got it done, and because it was on one topic, he really started to get it and desire to be better and better at data collection.  There was only equipment that we had at home -- string, weight (a lemon I think), stop watch, ruler, etc.

Edited by lewelma

Ha! That was easy. Found his report.  This was the last of 4 reports. You absolutely would not show this to a kid because the goal is to figure it all out yourself. The lab is short because it is so full of problem solving. If you want physics labs, you need to get @Regentrude over here. 

Title: Investigation to determine the mathematical relationship between the period of a bifilar pendulum twisted horizontally about its centre and the distance between its suspension threads.
Independent variable: The independent variable was the distance between the suspension threads. The distances used were ranged from 26cm to 8cm by steps of 2cm yielding ten values.
Dependent variable: The dependent variable was the period in seconds of the bifilar pendulum twisted horizontally about its centre.
Control of variables: The length of the suspension threads was controlled by using a non-stretchable string whose length was determined while the weights were hanging from it. In order to decrease the amount which the pendulum rotated about other axes, before being released, the ruler was sighted along two separate planes. To reduce motion along the length of the ruler (parallel to line between the suspension threads), the ruler was released from directly between the two suspension threads. To reduce motion along the width of the ruler (perpendicular to line between the suspension threads), the ruler was released so that its length was parallel to the ground.
Techniques to improve accuracy: Independent variable: The distance between the suspension threads was measured both where they contacted the ruler and where they contacted the bar they were hung from. These distances were made to be equal to ensure that the suspension threads were perpendicular to the ground. Dependent variable: To improve accuracy, ten periods of the pendulum were measured and the total was divided by ten to get the length of a single period. This increased the accuracy of the measurement of a single period tenfold.
Method: A plastic ruler of length 31cm with coins taped to either end was suspended by two strings of length 60cm from a chin-up bar hung from a doorframe. The suspension threads were spaced at 26cm apart such that the centre of gravity of the ruler-coin setup was directly in between them. The ruler was twisted horizontally about its centre point and released causing it to swing about the horizontal plane. The period of the pendulum was measured with a stopwatch three times for each distance value. The distance between the strings was then decreased by 2cm and this process repeated nine additional times.

Results:

DATA COLLECTION TABLES (Didn't copy well)

THE EQUATIONS didn't copy well either (I can screen shot this stuff if you want)

Discussion
Given that the data points fit the line of best as well as they do and that the line of best fit goes almost exactly through the origin, it is more likely that the error in our predicted value for g stems from systematic error than it does from random error. Systematic error from our theoretical relationship between T and D could be due to I, L, or m. Although the length of the suspension threads was measured carefully, knots on either end made it possible for the end measurement to be off by up to 5mm in total. However, given the length of the suspension threads was approximately 60cm, this is a very small percentage and thus would barely impact the calculated value for g. Although the mass of bob could vary by as much as a gram, it is much more likely that the value for I used would be incorrect. This is because the value for I was based upon a theoretical simplification of how the mass was distributed along the bob. For example, because the coins were clearly not point masses, it was difficult to estimate exactly where the point masses should be placed in my model. If the point masses were even 5mm closer to the centre of the ruler, our value for g would be just 9.53 m/s2. This is because in the calculations for the angular inertia the length is squared, so even a very small error in the length will result in a large error in the end result. I in particular contributes a high percentage of uncertainty, resulting in a higher calculated value for g.

We do almost everything at home and didn't outsource at all until some senior year DE at the nearby university. My graduate is getting almost all A's in college classes.  We do use Mr D self paced math, but there are other good math programs that don't require Wifi. I would encourage you to use curriculum that is designed for homeschoolers. Many of them are written assuming the parent doesn't know anything about the subject and can't help much. It's more work, but it's possible to give your children an excellent education without outsourcing.

• Like 2

We don't outsource much. They each have taken one DE course senior year and the rest was done by books and/or videos at home. Maybe an occasional online class as an elective but it wasn't necessary, it was just for fun.

For science we do Dr Wile's textbooks which are written directly to the student and all 3 of my oldest have done fine with college science courses. It was hands off for me but didn't require anything other than the textbooks and the lab supplies at home.

For math we use the cd's from Video Text for Alg 1 and 2 and Geometry and from Chalkdust for Precalc. Since I've watched the video I am able to answer most questions. The ones I can't we save for DH when he gets home. He's an engineer so that helps.

Each kid is different, so the discussions about history and lit are different since each one will pull out different things to remember. And each kid will read different books at different ages/stages.

We didn't have access to good Internet until recently, so online stuff wasn't really an option til the past couple years or so. So my current high schooler is doing an online biology class with Berean Builders, but my 3 before her were all mostly done here at home. They are all either succeeding in university or graduated from university and succeeding in life, so it definitely didn't hurt them any 😉

• Like 2

I have not read this thread so I hope what I say is still revelant.

Have you looked at BJU dvd options for upper level courses you need? They have a payment plan that is even better when you order through a Homeworks consultant. We've been happy with them even with our differing religious views.

HTH!

Edited by Green Bean

15 hours ago, countingoncoffee said:

I'm not OP, but I'm not sure I understand your question. When I was in high school in VA, those of us who took classes through Virtual Virginia took the AP Exams at our high school, the same as with any other AP Exam.

Did your school have in-person versions of these AP classes? I ask because if there's a way for the kids taking virtual AP classes that the school doesn't offer to somehow still take the AP exams, OP could use that.

Edited by Malam

On 2/19/2023 at 12:31 PM, possiblyavampire said:

Everything else has to be done online through the state's virtual program, and the teachers don't put much effort into it. My niece tried to study Chinese on it. She would start her lessons on Monday and email the teacher that day if she was stuck. She would usually not get a response until Thursday night, despite all of the work being due on Friday. It was a mess. 

If they take an AP class through the state's virtual program, how do they take the AP exam?

Just now, Malam said:

If they take an AP class through the state's virtual program, how do they take the AP exam?

In some states, I know that the public virtual schools set up test centers across the state for students to proctor all the AP course they offer. In others, they have arrangements with local schools where the local schools have to offer access to the exam to the virtual public school students, including proctoring it even if they don't offer the course.

18 minutes ago, Farrar said:

In some states, I know that the public virtual schools set up test centers across the state for students to proctor all the AP course they offer. In others, they have arrangements with local schools where the local schools have to offer access to the exam to the virtual public school students, including proctoring it even if they don't offer the course.

I wonder if this could be an avenue for taking the AP exams for OP

19 minutes ago, Malam said:

I wonder if this could be an avenue for taking the AP exams for OP

In my local district the only time an AP exam will be proctored for a course not currently being given at the school is if an enrolled student requests it. Even then, I'm sure they will first check with neighboring districts (which makes sense). I would imagine that students enrolled in a virtual public might count as "enrolled" in a way that homeschoolers do not.

What I think it may actually come down to is the personality of the person in charge of arranging the tests, and how willing they are to operate in a gray area of the rules. My district likes to brag about the number of AP exams proctored, but perhaps not enough to help out homeschoolers. Or maybe I'm wrong and jumping to conclusions based on the people I interacted with trying to secure my homeschoolers seats.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malam said:

Did your school have in-person versions of these AP classes? I ask because if there's a way for the kids taking virtual AP classes that the school doesn't offer to somehow still take the AP exams, OP could use that.

Nope. We had a couple of in-person dual enrollment classes, but mostly those were also online through the Linwood Holton's Governor's School. 

In VA, I think homeschoolers can take classes through Virtual Virginia, but I'm about 80% certain that there's a tuition fee for them. It's been almost a decade since I graduated, so I'm a bit out of the loop.