Menu

Hypothetically Speaking [Hair Related Content] If A Friend Called You Out of the Blue and Said...

Spy Car

"I really want to learn how to cut hair, and I thought you'd be the perfect to practice on. Whadda you think?" What Do You Say?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Say?

• Say what? Hell no! Are you high?
    • And you thought of me? Well, bless your heart!
    • Umm, I don’t even know what to say. Can I get back to you?
    • You know I’d love to, but my hairdresser would absolutely flip out.
    • Oh what luck?! I just had my hair cut today. Shoot.
    • Love to talk about it sometime, but [kid or pet] is getting a bath…gotta run, kisses.
    • [Can’t Say No, But Dying Inside] Um…okay. I guess.
    • What’s the worst thing that could happen? Hair grows back. Let’s do it.
    • I’ve waited my whole life for you to ask. I’m thrilled.
    • I like free stuff.
    • Obligatory Other [explain]

39 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I have this hair, where it grows thickly and every strand seems to "seek the light," so every "hair day" is pretty much the same. 

If I don't cut it it gets a little shaggly. Then it grows wild.

Think "Baywatch-era" David Hasselhoff. 

I actually used to run into "the Hoff" fairly regularly twenty years ago. He lived in the neighborhood.

I could have worked as his hair "double." LOL

Bill

Gee, now I gotta Google David Hasselhoff hair. 😂😂 BRB

Oh, okay. Seems that hair type is pretty forgiving of scissor mishaps. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Gee, now I gotta Google David Hasselhoff hair. 😂😂 BRB

Oh, okay. Seems that hair type is pretty forgiving of scissor mishaps. 

It is probably the best type of hair for "scissor mishaps" as it is (more or less) "self-leveling"  :tongue:

Bill

• Haha 2

@Indigo Blue If you want to know what it looks like now, Google "Charlton Heston Moses," and look for the "silver" versions.

Now my "Covid beard" (started right at the start of the March "lockdown") is about half that long, but the hair is perfect (for when I let it get shaggy). Currently a bit more trimmed up.

And speaking of Charlton Heston (which no one was), decades back I worked on a little video project on the tumultuous history of the Screen Actors Guild. Heston was a past president, and he "made waves" in Hollywood. Anyway, we interviewed him at his Hollywood Hills home. I did sound.

Man oh man. I listened through my very sweet German microphone, a Schoeps hypercardioid, into a mixer, and then into a nice set of headphones. That man's voice? Pure honey!

You hear it in pictures, but amplified strait into my ear canals with him sitting a few feet away was quite an experience. What an amazing voice!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 7

To keep no one in suspense.

My first reaction, was indeed: Say what? Hell no! Are you high?

But after my blood pressure returned to normal a few days later, I got to thinking and came around to: What’s the worst thing that could happen? Hair grows back. Let’s do it.

Sometime this weekend. Could happen.

Bill

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

@Indigo Blue If you want to know what it looks like now, Google "Charlton Heston Moses," and look for the "silver" versions.

Now my "Covid beard" (started right at the start of the March "lockdown") is about half that long, but the hair is perfect (for when I let it get shaggy). Currently a bit more trimmed up.

And speaking of Charlton Heston (which no one was), decades back I worked on a little video project on the tumultuous history of the Screen Actors Guild. Heston was a past president, and he "made waves" in Hollywood. Anyway, we interviewed him at his Hollywood Hills home. I did sound.

Man oh man. I listened through my very sweet German microphone, a Schoeps hypercardioid, into a mixer, and then into a nice set of headphones. That man's voice? Pure honey!

You hear it in pictures, but amplified strait into my ear canals with him sitting a few feet away was quite an experience. What an amazing voice!

Bill

I will look up Carlton Heston silver Moses hair. 

I am sitting here in a parking lot here in NC about to go into Whole Foods. I stopped at Chic Fil A for a kale salad to eat in the car before I go in. It’s slightly drizzling. And here I sit, Googling Hasselhoff hair to see what the hair looks like of someone clear across the country whom I’ve never met!! 😂😂

As always, thanks for sharing another story. 

Also, you are the only person who lives in LA (or even California) that I “know”. Many times I hear about some goings on and I wonder how close is this person/thing to Spy Car?

For example, I watched the Harry and Meghan documentary. During the part when TP took them in, I was admiring how beautiful his house is. Then I was thinking to myself….wow…..if this is near SC, just think…..H and M could have been staying just down the street from Mr. and Mrs. SC! So that means I “know” a person that was living near them. Ok. This probably seems silly. It’s just fun for me to think about. Now you know how weird I am. 

Ok. Gotta run in the store. I think I want to try micro greens. I’ve never had them. Selkie has had me thinking of doing that for awhile. 

• Like 7

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

I will look up Carlton Heston silver Moses hair. 

I am sitting here in a parking lot here in NC about to go into Whole Foods. I stopped at Chic Fil A for a kale salad to eat in the car before I go in. It’s slightly drizzling. And here I sit, Googling Hasselhoff hair to see what the hair looks like of someone clear across the country whom I’ve never met!! 😂😂

As always, thanks for sharing another story. 

Also, you are the only person who lives in LA (or even California) that I “know”. Many times I hear about some goings on and I wonder how close is this person/thing to Spy Car?

For example, I watched the Harry and Meghan documentary. During the part when TP took them in, I was admiring how beautiful his house is. Then I was thinking to myself….wow…..if this is near SC, just think…..H and M could have been staying just down the street from Mr. and Mrs. SC! So that means I “know” a person that was living near them. Ok. This probably seems silly. It’s just fun for me to think about. Now you know how weird I am. 

Ok. Gotta run in the store. I think I want to try micro greens. I’ve never had them. Selkie has had me thinking of doing that for awhile. 

I believe that Harry and Meghan live up the coast in Montecito, a stunning sea-side enclave just before Santa Barbara (as one head up north from LA). It is gorgeous. Oprah has a huge place there.

My first two years of college I did at UCSB. On occasion we'd splurge and take Sunday brunch at the Biltmore in Montecito, out on a sunny patio with a view of the Pacific. It gave one the feeling you "had arrived."

Our home is not so large or glamorous. I like it though. Cute little pre-war ranch with nice touches, like real plaster and oak floors, that are uncommon in newer homes, and situated in a very nice neighborhood. Many film/television/music stars either live (or have lived) in my immediate vicinity.

The "developers" can't wait until we kick off or sell, as they will knock-down our little and build a palace the moment they get the opportunity.

BTW: Just looked in the mirror. Maybe only knock off a third (perhaps a bit more) off Heston's "Moses" beard. 

Bill

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I have had so many awful haircuts in my life that my response would be number 1, and said with great emphasis!

Trust me, there was plenty of emphasis. LOL

I think we are a lot alike. But I'm afraid I may be "mellowing"  :tongue:

Bill

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Similar but not on the same scale as Charlton Heston.

Years ago a friend mentioned that her sister-in-law was in town for a show and that everyone loved it when she practised at home. Further inquiries revealed that the sister-in-law is actually an opera singer--a real, live opera singer!!!--and she was in town singing in an actual musical at the Lyric. I googled and learned that this sil had sung big parts all over the world. Oh my goodness!!!

I have a foolish fondness for all the old classical things, including opera. When we lived in Chicago we had access to lots of wonderful resources. I asked my friend if her sil would be willing to either meet my own two kids to talk about opera or possibly do a little educational presentation to our homeschool co-op. Joy of all joys, the sil was happy to do the full presentation. She had homeschooled her daughter herself, so she was all in.

I cleared my living room of most of the furniture and spread quilts on the floor. We packed in a zillion kids (and they were attentive and well-behaved, bless them). I bought roses for the sil, because it just seemed that that's what one does for famous opera singers. She was absolutely lovely. She sang lots of bits of things. I will never, ever forget the way the sound of her unbelievable voice filled the room, filled the whole house. The impact of that shimmering voice overwhelmed my senses. It brought tears to my eyes then and I'm tearing up just remembering it.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I believe that Harry and Meghan live up the coast in Montecito, a stunning sea-side enclave just before Santa Barbara (as one head up north from LA). It is gorgeous. Oprah has a huge place there.

My first two years of college I did at UCSB. On occasion we'd splurge and take Sunday brunch at the Biltmore in Montecito, out on a sunny patio with a view of the Pacific. It gave one the feeling you "had arrived."

Our home is not so large or glamorous. I like it though. Cute little pre-war ranch with nice touches, like real plaster and oak floors, that are uncommon in newer homes, and situated in a very nice neighborhood. Many film/television/music stars either live (or have lived) in my immediate vicinity.

The "developers" can't wait until we kick off or sell, as they will knock-down our little and build a palace the moment they get the opportunity.

BTW: Just looked in the mirror. Maybe only knock off a third (perhaps a bit more) off Heston's "Moses" beard. 

Bill

Your home sounds lovely. Oak floors and plaster walls…so authentic. I would prefer that! It makes me sad to think the builders will swoop in do that. 😕 

Its just fun, though, to look. I could win a million and would only make very minor changes to my own little house. 

Your hair should recover nicely. 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Years ago a friend mentioned that her sister-in-law was in town for a show and that everyone loved it when she practised at home. Further inquiries revealed that the sister-in-law is actually an opera singer--a real, live opera singer!!!--and she was in town singing in an actual musical at the Lyric. I googled and learned that this sil had sung big parts all over the world. Oh my goodness!!!

I have a foolish fondness for all the old classical things, including opera. When we lived in Chicago we had access to lots of wonderful resources. I asked my friend if her sil would be willing to either meet my own two kids to talk about opera or possibly do a little educational presentation to our homeschool co-op. Joy of all joys, the sil was happy to do the full presentation. She had homeschooled her daughter herself, so she was all in.

I cleared my living room of most of the furniture and spread quilts on the floor. We packed in a zillion kids (and they were attentive and well-behaved, bless them). I bought roses for the sil, because it just seemed that that's what one does for famous opera singers. She was absolutely lovely. She sang lots of bits of things. I will never, ever forget the way the sound of her unbelievable voice filled the room, filled the whole house. The impact of that shimmering voice overwhelmed my senses. It brought tears to my eyes then and I'm tearing up just remembering it.

Wow, that’s incredible, Harriet!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

What a wonderful opportunity.

I happen to be an Opera-lover myself, so I can imagine what hearing a trained singer right there in ones living room must have been like.

It is incredible how the sonority of some voices are "transportational."

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Your home sounds lovely. Oak floors and plaster walls…so authentic. I would prefer that! It makes me sad to think the builders will swoop in do that. 😕 

Its just fun, though, to look. I could win a million and would only make very minor changes to my own little house. 

Your hair should recover nicely. 🙂

You would not believe the gracious homes that simply scraped to the earth around here. Our little house will be razed w/o a moment's hesitation.

That's if, and apologies to Charleston Heston, they can pry it "from my cold dead hands"  :tongue:

I'm thinking about living a long time, just to spite the developers. LOL

Bill

• Like 2

There is no way in hades that someone who isn't an experienced stylist is touching my hair. My photo ends up in the community magazine every 2-3 months for some volunteer/Rotary and on the Rotary FB page often. No way I'm getting a bad haircut. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

You would not believe the gracious homes that simply scraped to the earth around here. Our little house will be razed w/o a moment's hesitation.

That's if, and apologies to Charleston Heston, they can pry it "from my cold dead hands"  :tongue:

I'm thinking about living a long time, just to spite the developers. LOL

Bill

I don’t mean to get too personal, but what about passing it to your son? It seems the property is pretty valuable. Over his lifetime, it would even be more so. Disregard if this is not my business!

One of our boys would love to have our house because of sentimental reasons. The other wouldn’t mind selling it. He sees it as just “a house” and would be more sad about our being gone. 

• Like 1

Just now, QueenCat said:

There is no way in hades that someone who isn't an experienced stylist is touching my hair. My photo ends up in the community magazine every 2-3 months for some volunteer/Rotary and on the Rotary FB page often. No way I'm getting a bad haircut. 

I realized that since "lockdown" I've virtually become a hermit anyway, and the few people who actually do see me--don't really care how I look.

Even I don't really care.

Although, "bald" doesn't sound that good to me.

Bill 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I don’t mean to get too personal, but what about passing it to your son? It seems the property is pretty valuable. Over his lifetime, it would even be more so. Disregard if this is not my business!

One of our boys would love to have our house because of sentimental reasons. The other wouldn’t mind selling it. He sees it as just “a house” and would be more sad about our being gone. 

Yes, our plan--universe willing--is to pass this place off to our son.

We have a large lot (by suburban standards) and we are sitting on a "gold mine." Our "home" is worth nothing, but "the land" is a different story.

I'd like it to be his, to live in if he want to (a great neighborhood) or sell it one day and have some financial options.

My wife grew up in this home. Her family moved in in 1967, she was a newborn.

I always loved her "parent's house." So charming, I always thought. Just as we were getting married, her parents decided keeping up large grounds was too much, and decided to sell it (which was painful for them). My career was doing well, I had savings, so I said I'd buy it. My in-laws were overjoyed. And we've been happy too.

Many family memories wrapped up in this place.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

50 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

My wife grew up in this home. Her family moved in in 1967, she was a newborn.

Yes, that’s a very special house.

It sounds like you’re the last charming house left on the block with building and development all around. You’re gonna have to tie a bunch of balloons to your roof and float away somewhere! Lol. 

Seriously, though, It’s good your son has plans. Maybe he’ll live there. Who knows? 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Yes, that’s a very special house.

It sounds like you’re the last charming house left on the block with building and development all around. You’re gonna have to tie a bunch of balloons to your roof and float away somewhere! Lol. 

Seriously, though, It’s good your son has plans. Maybe he’ll live there. Who knows? 

There are still some charming houses left. Most are far larger than ours, and they will eventually be scraped to the ground as well. All but a few of the truly historic estates.

I remember watching the film version of The Great Gatsby, where Nick Carraway moves into a "bungalow" in West Egg, and he has to live next to Jay Gatsby. Well almost like that.

Most the the homes are not as big as Gatsby's, but there are a few that are, like the old Disney estate down the block (with a newer "hotel-sized" estate on the top of the hill), and the actress Amy Brenneman has a gorgeous old brick manor that resembles an English country home, and next to her is another historic old estate where Al Jolson one lived (which Don Ameche, Kirstie Alley and Parker Stevenson, Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards, and Katey Sagal have all lived in. Those are nice. 

But Aretha Franklin used to live next to where Amy Brenneman lives, and they tore her house down a year ago. They built two houses in its place. One seems like it will be nice. The other is a weird mish-mash of traditional and modern. Doesn't work. It is almost finished. Yuck!

And across the street from Aretha's old place, was this very cozy large two story clapboard home with dormer windows, the type you'd expect to find in a nice traditional neighborhood in the Midwest, where one of the Andrews Sisters once lived. The sort of place a distinguished college professor might live in a movie. It was painted periwinkle blue. I smiled every time I saw that house. It got scraped, and now the guitarist Slash lives there in a white modern home.  

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

32 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

There are still some charming houses left. Most are far larger than ours, and they will eventually be scraped to the ground as well. All but a few of the truly historic estates.

I remember watching the film version of The Great Gatsby, where Nick Carraway moves into a "bungalow" in West Egg, and he has to live next to Jay Gatsby. Well almost like that.

Most the the homes are not as big as Gatsby's, but there are a few that are, like the old Disney estate down the block (with a newer "hotel-sized" estate on the top of the hill), and the actress Amy Brenneman has a gorgeous old brick manor that resembles an English country home, and next to her is another historic old estate where Al Jolson one lived (which Don Ameche, Kirstie Alley and Parker Stevenson, Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards, and Katey Sagal have all lived in. Those are nice. 

But Aretha Franklin used to live next to where Amy Brenneman lives, and they tore her house down a year ago. They built two houses in its place. One seems like it will be nice. The other is a weird mish-mash of traditional and modern. Doesn't work. It is almost finished. Yuck!

And across the street from Aretha's old place, was this very cozy large two story clapboard home with dormer windows, the type you'd expect to find in a nice traditional neighborhood in the Midwest, where one of the Andrews Sisters once lived. The sort of place a distinguished college professor might live in a movie. It was painted periwinkle blue. I smiled every time I saw that house. It got scraped, and now the guitarist Slash lives there in a white modern home.  

Bill

All those houses getting scraped. So sad. I get so attached. We moved so much growing up. Dh and I rented for 3 years and then built our house. No moving after that. We raised our boys here. We’ve slowly cleared by hand and put in a nice trail. I love it so much. Sad to think one day, it will have new owners, probably won’t be taken care of as well as we have done, and eventually….scraped. I will be long gone, but sad to think about. But hopefully the boys will have their use of it or some monetary value out of it first. 

Wow. Slash moving into one of those places that had been scraped. (Well, he did gave Joe Perry his guitar back).

All those celebrities….so interesting to hear about. 

Oh, gee. I’m very much hijacking the hair stuff. 🫢

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo Blue said:

All those houses getting scraped. So sad. I get so attached. We moved so much growing up. Dh and I rented for 3 years and then built our house. No moving after that. We raised our boys here. We’ve slowly cleared by hand and put in a nice trail. I love it so much. Sad to think one day, it will have new owners, probably won’t be taken care of as well as we have done, and eventually….scraped. I will be long gone, but sad to think about. But hopefully the boys will have their use of it or some monetary value out of it first. 

Wow. Slash moving into one of those places that had been scraped. (Well, he did gave Joe Perry his guitar back).

All those celebrities….so interesting to hear about. 

Oh, gee. I’m very much hijacking the hair stuff. 🫢

Any discussion of "Slash" has a place on a "hair thread." LOL

And his place--while it has none of the traditional charm of what was there--is at least a tasteful. No one would complain if they had to live there. Aside, perhaps, from curmudgeons.

And I saw Slash do a video for Ukraine some months back. I thought  if I ever saw him, I'd say thanks. But I never do.

Bill

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

Hmmm... Dh was getting ready for a deployment and asked me to trim the sides of his head, especially around his ears. I had a very hard time actually seeing what I was trimming because it was so short. He ended up with no hair on one side of his head and just the right amount removed on the other side. 

I'd like to think I figured it out with the second side, but it wasn't something I really wanted to do every couple of weeks anyway. Instead, I inadvertantly found a way to ensure he never asked me again! 😂

My MIL tried to teach me to cut DHs hair. The result wasn’t that bad but the number of times I said whoops don’t think I meant to cut that bit was enough to make DH decide it was worth paying for haircuts 😂😂 

• Haha 4

Apologies to the OP for going "of-topic" (oh wait, it's me :tongue: ) no word yet on "the haircut," but more news on celebrities and development in my little neighborhood.

This morning I went to an estate sale down the street at the home of Mike Connors (who older members may remember played "Mannix" in the TV series of the same name). Mike passed 6 years ago. And his widow passed recently. Kinda sad to see all their personal memorabilia, family photos, and everything sold off. He was a nice man. I like the house and grounds. Pool, tennis court, roses. Has a very "rat-pack" vibe to it. Almost like it could be in Palm Springs, except with trees. It will be torn down, I'm sure.

I ended up getting his martini shaker. I'm not much of a drinker, but it seemed right.

Then today I learned that living between Connors and us (on the hill) is one of the Jonas Brothers and Priyanka Chopra. I did not know that. Do I care? Not honestly.

And then another successful television actor who just moved in across the street had a crew completely gut the landscaping and bust up the hardscaping for a major exterior remodel. There was all this beautiful flagstone in a low-boy  container ready to be hauled off to the dump. So I got up early and have been harvesting it to make pathways at my house. Rich people are nuts.

Finally, the truck operator--a nice guy named Emerito--came to haul the rubble way, but before he did he helped me put some more choice pieces aside. I appreciated it. We shared funny stories. I now have a good haul and I'm told by the new neighbors there will be more on Monday and I'm welcome to all I want.

I'm a little pooped from hauling rocks, but so worth it.

And--just now, as I'm typing--my buddy called--suggesting he drop by to do the haircut (so technically this post is back "on-topic") and I waved him off. I'm dirty, full of rock dust, and need a siesta.

But going to make some beautiful pathways. And perhaps a cocktail?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

This thread is fantastic - both on topic and off! I especially loved the original posts, but couldn't decide how to react, which is largely why I rarely post. Anyway, please keep this going!! 😁

You should jump in. The water is cold and we do bite, but you'll get used to it  :tongue:

Love the screen name BTW.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

You should jump in. The water is cold and we do bite, but you'll get used to it  :tongue:

Love the screen name BTW.

Bill

I've actually been here a very long time. It's mostly that other people post what I would have said, and I'm an introvert, so I prefer to observe and listen most of the time, both here and IRL. 

As for my screen name, I have often regretted it because I'm often NOT a happy camper, but it was the best thing I could come up with at the time. The picture is of a very old canoe that belonged to dh's family and he spent half a summer restoring. It's about 25' long, and always draws attention when we use it at our favorite campground. 

Now back to your hair... 😂

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

I've actually been here a very long time. It's mostly that other people post what I would have said, and I'm an introvert, so I prefer to observe and listen most of the time, both here and IRL. 

As for my screen name, I have often regretted it because I'm often NOT a happy camper, but it was the best thing I could come up with at the time. The picture is of a very old canoe that belonged to dh's family and he spent half a summer restoring. It's about 25' long, and always draws attention when we use it at our favorite campground. 

Now back to your hair... 😂

My hair if full of rock dust. I'm in desperate need of a shower. But I'm pre-sore from all the rock moving and don't want to move. But I must.

I feel like I'm a happy camper. But not all the time. That would be boring  :tongue:

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Camper said:

This thread is fantastic - both on topic and off! I especially loved the original posts, but couldn't decide how to react, which is largely why I rarely post. Anyway, please keep this going!! 😁

Yes, please chime in! I’m introverted, too, but I’m braver in this format! I wish there were more threads like this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

This is cool. Getting all those stones like that is awesome. And you have a neat story to tell about them. They do make beautiful pathways. And thanks for sharing more about all the famous people all around you. 

And the color, which is gray with just a hint of blue, will work well with what I've got doing on. The long drought here in CA caused me to pull out my beautiful lawns front and back years back, so I've tried to make park-like wandering pathways interspersed with plantings of roses and herbs. But I have some spots where flagstone will be perfect.

Always a work in progress.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
I blame the cat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Happy Camper said:

As for my screen name, I have often regretted it because I'm often NOT a happy camper, but it was the best thing I could come up with at the time.

I was Happy Mommy (or something similar) on another board. I, too, couldn't think of anything, so I chose what I aspired to be. As much as I loved homeschooling, I was frequently not a Happy Mommy.

• Like 2

So we have these dear neighbors who have a tree that grows some sort of bitter orange. 

No one will eat the fruit, but it is a pretty tree.

So I've been meaning to make some "orange bitters" from their tree for some time. Then the thread on Campari and cochineal (okay, perhaps that was not the original topic :tongue:) the other day got me thinking, better move.

So I gathered a bunch of these bitter oranges, removed the "fruit," then cut the peel into sections, removed the "pith" (which was rather time consuming) and have been soaking the peels in 190 proof alcohol.

Tonight, I thought I should inaugurate the Mike Connors/Mannix cocktail-shaker.

While I was/am going to infuse these for much longer, I decided orange bitters, a little simple syrup, and Presidente brandy would be perfect. Put it all in a shaker with crushed ice and sent out good vibes to Mike Connors as I shook it. Then gave it a pour.

OMG! Delicious.

The first drink was only about half-sized. If it had been bad, I didn't want too much "waste."

What a mistake! But I made another one. 

The only fear of "waste" now, is in me getting "wasted."

😜

Bill

• Like 5

Nope.  You can't cut my hair.  But I would let them practice on one of my boys' hair since I could just buzz it anyway.

I actually had a young adult kid who was thinking about cosmetology ask this (well close, she wanted to cut her sister's hair).  I offered the boys hair and she proved that it wouldn't be a good career for her.  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

So we have these dear neighbors who have a tree that grows some sort of bitter orange. 

No one will eat the fruit, but it is a pretty tree.

So I've been meaning to make some "orange bitters" from their tree for some time. Then the thread on Campari and cochineal (okay, perhaps that was not the original topic :tongue:) the other day got me thinking, better move.

So I gathered a bunch of these bitter oranges, removed the "fruit," then cut the peel into sections, removed the "pith" (which was rather time consuming) and have been soaking the peels in 190 proof alcohol.

Tonight, I thought I should inaugurate the Mike Connors/Mannix cocktail-shaker.

While I was/am going to infuse these for much longer, I decided orange bitters, a little simple syrup, and Presidente brandy would be perfect. Put it all in a shaker with crushed ice and sent out good vibes to Mike Connors as I shook it. Then gave it a pour.

OMG! Delicious.

The first drink was only about half-sized. If it had been bad, I didn't want too much "waste."

What a mistake! But I made another one. 

The only fear of "waste" now, is in me getting "wasted."

😜

Bill

Oh, that does sound good! Did you work on getting some of the flagstones installed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Oh, that does sound good! Did you work on getting some of the flagstones installed?

No flagstones installed yet. 

One, just moving them was a ton of work.

Two, tomorrow there are supposed to be more, so don't want to be too bushed.

Three, if there are more, I want to wait to see what pieces I use where.

Four, the one thing about this stone is it seems "crackable." So if I place this on bare earth, I will need to grade carefully. I may even need to put down sand.

I did lay a few pieces down just to get a "sense." It will be very nice, I think.

Ain't going to happen instantly. We have been blessed with big rains here in Los Angeles. So very needed.

But now I have dandelions galore. Much work to be done. But we are warming up and I'm excited to get going on this years garden plans.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
Yes, Desmond is sleeping on my lap
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I am still moving stone. Days and days of heavy work. So much stone.

I'm beside myself and it keeps on coming. 

Taking a quick water break and then back to work.

Bill (<--who scored!)

How’s your ole back? That’s a lot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OMG. I just caught myself in a mirror. I now look "ethnically ambiguous."

It has been very sunny, so I've got color, but more than that all my skin is coated with a powdering of dark-gray dust from the slate.

With the big thatch of silver hair sticking out. Very dirty overall. Crazy-looking!

Not a bad look.

Bill

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Starr said:

How’s your ole back? That’s a lot!

Strong. And I have not felt so "pumped up" (muscularly speaking) in forever. It is amazing what real work will do for a person.

Feeling "tired" but also feeling really strong. 

Bill

ETA: I texted my wife easier and said, "You have to feel me when you get home." LOL. 

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

I would love to see what you do with all the rock when it’s finished. 

Today, I just wanted to be OUTSIDE and did not want to be in the kitchen. So I took cutting board, knife, pans, etc., and did all the food prep outside on the deck. It was 70 here today!

I will take photos when I have some completed. 

I knew I'd have some, enough to do my first, second and third priorities--but this is a gift that keeps on giving.

Beautiful stone. And if I don't grab it, it gets hauled to the dump. Just crazy!

Bill

• Like 3

No one...and I mean no one...would believe how much stone I have moved in recent days.

I have stacks and stacks and stacks and stacks and stacks and stacks and stacks...well you get the picture.

Not done yet, and then so much work ahead of me. But so happy. I can make beautiful paths and walkways from this slate.

I gotten to know the guys on the work crew. Nice guys. I'm sure they must think I'm a bit nuts (not wrong) but they seem to appreciate how hard I'm working. 

Quick hydration break. Then back at it.

Bill

• Like 4

No one...and I mean no one...would believe how much stone I have moved in recent days.

I have stacks and stacks and stacks and stacks and stacks and stacks and stacks...well you get the picture.

Not done yet, and then so much work ahead of me. But so happy. I can make beautiful paths and walkways from this slate.

I gotten to know the guys on the work crew. Nice guys. I'm sure they must think I'm a bit nuts (not wrong) but they seem to appreciate how hard I'm working. 

Bill

How are you going to put them down? Will they be set in so that they will be flush with the ground? Or on top of the ground? Sounds like an enormous amount! 

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Impressive! But I have to wonder if you are moving all of this stone just to avoid a haircut! 🤔😂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

Impressive! But I have to wonder if you are moving all of this stone just to avoid a haircut! 🤔😂

I'm starting to look positively scary. The shaggy hair. The maniacal look in my eyes. The pumped up muscles.

The dirt and dust. So unkept.

I'm so happy they don't work tomorrow.

Bill

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

How are you going to put them down? Will they be set in so that they will be flush with the ground? Or on top of the ground? Sounds like an enormous amount! 

The original plan, when I thought I was only going to end up with a modest amount, was to make one or perhaps two, small paths. Had that been the case, I would have very carefully leveled and loosened the native earth. We have a clay soil that (I think) would have been okay for this purpose. But it would have been a lot of work (for a small space). has to be fairly perfect, or the stone will crack

Now that I've hit the motherload, I intend to have what's called "decomposed granite" delivered. I will use DG as a leveling base (like sand). When the DG is watered, it sort of locks-up, to act as a loose mortar. And it remains "naturalistic." I don't want to pour concrete.

There is way to much to lay to do the "native earth" version.

The crew just borrowed my wheelbarrow, so they can get their weekend started. How could I say no?

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How pretty! I love DG! If you haven’t used it before, Tamp a few inches of decomposed gravel for a level substrate before you lay your rock if you want a good foundation for your flagstone. We did this over heavy clay soil in our TX house and it worked well. You can use more DG and some leveling sand as grout between the flagstones, but if you don’t have a pretty solid base you will have some heave and dipping over time as you move through the rainy and dry seasons. If you have an area of just DG, you can use something like Organic-Lock to seal/stabilize it. Otherwise, expect to retamp/top off from time to time.

DG looked so good in my rose garden back in TX! We want pics when you are done!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1