Menu

Help me spend a gift card, please

GoVanGogh

Major online retailer that starts with an A… 

$300 range 

interests:

gardening (organic, fruits and vegetables, herbs, year-round harvest…)

fitness (yoga, weight training, running, hiking)

wellness/health (chronic health conditions, autoimmune)

books on any of the above topics

cooking healthy foods (already have/love a Vitamix) 

What should I buy? 

The Aerogarden Harvest in the color grey has been on clearance pricing for a couple of weeks for $70. It’s the same as the version that sells for $100-150 (prices fluctuate with occasional sales) but doesn’t come with the initial seed pods and baskets and fertilizer. Instead, buy the Aerogarden Grow Anything kit for $28 (or buy knockoff versions of the same things for even less.) You will get more supplies than would have come with the initial kit. 

There are hydroponics setups with fewer bells and whistles, but this system is very low maintenance. Every two weeks you add liquid fertilizer. You top off water occasionally. The lights and pumps are automatically timed, and reminder lights pop up for the fertilizer and water. For people with low energy, occasionally foggy brains, and bodies that aren’t always cooperative—it is still pretty foolproof. 

I have two aerogardens—they keep us in fresh lettuce and herbs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Do you have hiking poles and a good hiking day pack?  Need new hiking or running shoes?

I am good on all of those. I do use trekking poles and love them! Just bought new running shoes a few days ago, though I do have a pair of athletic shoes on my wish list and can always have an extra pair. 

12 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Not exactly what you listed, but it would help with some of the food preparation--I'd get another knife from this line: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M5U1C2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This one is no longer available, but I have it, and I'd get a different size. I really like it.

I bought some new knives and cutting boards earlier this year. I am still amazed at how nice it is to have new, nicer kitchen items. LOL We have been married forever and so many of our kitchen items were terribly outdated and worn out. I am going to look at other knife options. Thanks for the suggestion. I knew when I bought new ones that I would still likely need some more. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

I am intrigued by hydroponic, esp for lettuce. I will look at those. Thanks for the suggestions. And I can always use more grow lights. I am also sort of interested in getting soil blockers for seed starting. I saw a demo on them this fall and love the idea of them. 

Look at Winstrip trays and compare to soil blocking. If I ever am able to expand my garden, the Winstrip trays are very interesting to me. 

3 minutes ago, popmom said:

"Help me spend a gift card."--words I have never and will never utter in my lifetime 😜

I have similar interests as you, too. Maybe I should send you my "A" wishlist!

Maybe narrow down my wish list is better? LOL I could easily spend it just on books. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Not exactly what you listed, but it would help with some of the food preparation--I'd get another knife from this line: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M5U1C2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This one is no longer available, but I have it, and I'd get a different size. I really like it.

I have this exact knife! It is very good. Have you needed to sharpen yours yet? I have had mine for almost 5 years.

• Like 1

Just now, popmom said:

I shouldn't have clicked this thread. My wish list is getting longer and longer. lol

I found this book at the library, fell in LOVE with it, and am currently starting small with his instructions - for a sum total of closer to $25-ish. 😉 (I've had an Aerogarden in my Wish List for a long time, but want to first try the idea of not running electricity / hydroponics.) The book answers a LOT of questions, and is written in a very positive, practical tone, from a guy who lives in a similarly northern clime as my own. 🙂  I'm pretty excited. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, popmom said:

I have this exact knife! It is very good. Have you needed to sharpen yours yet? I have had mine for almost 5 years.

I have been very pleased with it, especially for the price. I run it over the steel occasionally, but just to hone it a little. It's the best knife I've had for cutting tomatoes! (That might be because I am not a knife "connoisseur" though.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Oh! That book has been on my wish list for a while. Thanks for the recommendation. 

18 hours ago, footballmom said:

A really nice juicer? 

Oh. I have a centrifugal juicer but have been wanting one for wheatgrass. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Thank you all for the recommendations! I appreciate the ideas so much. My birthday is in two weeks so I may (hopefully LOL) get another gift card. 
I ordered an aero garden and a juicer for wheatgrass, along with several books, including the year round indoor salad gardening. 

• Like 5