Menu

Dr. Hive - sleepy 10-year-old UPDATE Feb 2023

EmilyGF

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what is going on with DS10. Please don't quote as I will delete later.

For the last month (since being sick for 6 days at the beginning of November), he's been sleeping 1+ hour extra per day and wakes up tired. He got sick for another three days (high fever, came down with Tylenol) over Thanksgiving. The first illness may have been COVID but was not tested, the second illness tested negative. Other siblings had short illnesses of 1-3 days.

Before getting sick, he was sleeping about 20 min more per day, enough that I was sort of noticing it, but not quite sure.

Tests so far have all been normal: thyroid, complete blood count (normal), iron and iron binding, ferritin, c-reactive protein. We have a sleep study scheduled for January.

Any ideas of what to look for or push for? He's eating normal, has no complaints of aching or stomach pains, runs around when not tired, works hard around the house.

Thanks for any help. 

UPDATE Feb 2023: he got diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and got tonsils and adenoids removed yesterday.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

Did they test Vitamin B and D?

I was sure youngest DS had a thyroid issue but it turned out his Vitamin B had tanked and it was rough (took us a while to figure it out). 

I will look into B and D. We have not yet.

@KatyI hope this is puberty, but I don't remember the other big kids crashing like this. He either goes to bed before the 6-year-old or naps every day.

Emily

42 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

I will look into B and D. We have not yet.

@KatyI hope this is puberty, but I don't remember the other big kids crashing like this. He either goes to bed before the 6-year-old or naps every day.

Emily

Are there signs of a big growth spurt? Most kids chunk up before a big growth spurt, then become really picky eaters who needed extra sleep while growing. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Have you considered that he may be suffering post-viral aftereffects?

I've thought of that since the beginning of November, but he was tireder than normal before.

This kid resembles an ox in size, weight, and energy usually, so it really is odd to have him tired. Sigh.

Well, I suggested post-viral because it was the thing I thought of that nobody else had suggested yet. If the tiredness definitely predates the illness, that doesn't necessarily rule out a post-viral condition - he could've been sick sooner than you realized, with tiredness the early symptom - but I think the most likely answer is puberty / growth spurt.

Or it could be a combination of factors, of course.

• Like 1

Alright, if everyone says it is puberty/post-viral, I'll relax. 

This boy physically is very different from his older siblings (stocky, extremely tall vs. medium tall, incredibly thin) so maybe the physical change just looks different for him, too.

ETA: Not trying to minimize post-viral stuff, just recognizing that it takes time and rest, not intensive doctor's visits and medication.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Alright, if everyone says it is puberty/post-viral, I'll relax. 

This boy physically is very different from his older siblings (stocky, extremely tall vs. medium tall, incredibly thin) so maybe the physical change just looks different for him, too.

ETA: Not trying to minimize post-viral stuff, just recognizing that it takes time and rest, not intensive doctor's visits and medication.

Emily

It def could just be puberty but if you can swing it financially, do a vitamin panel. We tested thyroid and also chalked it up to puberty after those came back normal. DS eventually got worse, started losing focus and having vision problems, eye twitches, and some muscles coordination problems too. I took him back to my dr who specializes in hormones thinking it was a thyroid problem that had gotten worse (3 of us have Hashimoto's) and she pulled vitamins too and the kid had practically no Vitamin B in his system. He is still recovering from balance issues months later. Hopefully the issues aren't long term. We aren't vegan, he eats good, he eats meat and eggs, etc so this made no sense. I think he may have pernicious anemia but not sure. 

• Like 1

• EmilyGF changed the title to Dr. Hive - sleepy 10-year-old UPDATE Feb 2023

UPDATE Feb 2023: he got diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and got tonsils and adenoids removed yesterday. 

He had a large variety of blood tests that came back normal. It was the sleep study that provided answers. In retrospect, his voice sounded muffled from adenoids, but that came about so gradually that I didn’t notice until the doctors mentioned it.

Emily

• Like 18

3 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

He had a large variety of blood tests that came back normal. It was the sleep study that provided answers. In retrospect, his voice sounded muffled from adenoids, but that came about so gradually that I didn’t notice until the doctors mentioned it.

Emily

Hope that helps.  It made a Huge different for my son.

• Like 1