Menu

Decorating help

Soror

So, I bought dh this large wooden map for Christmas last year but he doesn't want to put it up until we paint since I was planning on doing that anyway.

I'm trying to decide on the color. Currently it is a tan as I needed something to help conceal fingerprints of 4 little ones and was tired of washing walls.

I really like a cottage look. I have a great room- dining+ living room. I hate how open it is. I want it to be cozy but still keep a more minimalist vibe.

My couches form Ikea are kind of a dusty blue. I have lots of wood-- wood floors, entertainment center, and coffee tables. 

I have white curtains but have wanted some floral curtains for years-- something with pink, yellow, blues and greens-- small pattern on a white or off white background. 

With that in mind what color do you think I should pick? I thought about a light yellow but not sure. 

Also-- second question-- funds are limited so I'd really like to- paint, buy new curtains, replace the rug (it is dark brown with blue/green accents and doesn't really go but I already had it), and replace some pillows. I can't do them all so I'm thinking paint first. I'm thinking the rug should be second since the white curtains are pretty neutral. 

And while we're at it any inspiration to give me???

In looking at our great room, which has a very cozy/homey feel, I'm noting these things: We have a couple of woven fabric wall hangings that add warmth, rather than just pictures. Other wall items are a small old beveled mirror in a wooden frame, some rattan type items hung in the dining area, and some cross-stitch items I made. Because the wall items are not hard finishes and don't take up space, they add texture and feeling without adding clutter.  (There are not so many so they don't clutter the walls.) I only have a couple of pillows because we generally get annoyed with them and they end up on the floor, but they are blue. A crocheted afghan on a rocker, and a homemade quilt and a throw are on the sofa and another rocker (because we use them when it gets cold.) Colors are blues, reds, greens, tans in both rugs and wall items. We also have tan walls because of the flooring, but I wish it were much lighter on the palette. It was much lighter than what was here when we moved in, so it felt like it lightened things up a lot at first, but now it doesn't. My personal preference is that I don't like a lot of color on the walls because I get tired of it too soon. I'd rather add color in things that can be changed out easier than painting. Our bedroom is painted the very lightest sage--so light you might think it's almost white unless you note the white trim. It's my favorite paint in the whole house, because it's so calm and peaceful, but goes with other brighter colors without a problem. I don't know if that helps you, but in our case, people often comment favorably when they first walk into our house. It just feels very welcoming and comfortable.

• Like 1

I love a light, creamy yellow and have a bunch of my house in varying shades. I found I have to do different colors because the light affects things so much. Our house faces north south too, so that just intensifies the light issues. I went through quite a few samples and even had to repaint a room once to find what worked because I'm not fond of a brighter yellow and they ended up stark. 

Editing to add that my overall feel is casual/nature but I like light neutrals so my big pieces are warm light neutrals and my accents tend towards muted autumn colors like russet/green/cinnamon/soft gold. A creamy yellow keeps things light and goes with a lot.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

In looking at our great room, which has a very cozy/homey feel, I'm noting these things: We have a couple of woven fabric wall hangings that add warmth, rather than just pictures. Other wall items are a small old beveled mirror in a wooden frame, some rattan type items hung in the dining area, and some cross-stitch items I made. Because the wall items are not hard finishes and don't take up space, they add texture and feeling without adding clutter.  (There are not so many so they don't clutter the walls.) I only have a couple of pillows because we generally get annoyed with them and they end up on the floor, but they are blue. A crocheted afghan on a rocker, and a homemade quilt and a throw are on the sofa and another rocker (because we use them when it gets cold.) Colors are blues, reds, greens, tans in both rugs and wall items. We also have tan walls because of the flooring, but I wish it were much lighter on the palette. It was much lighter than what was here when we moved in, so it felt like it lightened things up a lot at first, but now it doesn't. My personal preference is that I don't like a lot of color on the walls because I get tired of it too soon. I'd rather add color in things that can be changed out easier than painting. Our bedroom is painted the very lightest sage--so light you might think it's almost white unless you note the white trim. It's my favorite paint in the whole house, because it's so calm and peaceful, but goes with other brighter colors without a problem. I don't know if that helps you, but in our case, people often comment favorably when they first walk into our house. It just feels very welcoming and comfortable.

I've switched so much. When the house burned I had so many different color walls. So when we rebuilt I did mostly off-white/cream with a red couch. Then when that couch went kaput it was cream with brown leather couch and blue accents. Then I switched to the tan walls and then eventually to my current blue couch. Now, I'm craving more color and am very tired of the neutral but drab tan.

In reading different websites I see a lot of mention of different textures. I feel I struggle with this because I like the cozy homey feel of lots of different things but also crave order/symmetry. Also, I love things are close and cozy but with my open living room that is hard to achieve, especially when I don't like too many things around. The only different textures I really have are more in my pillows. I could use more texture in couch throws and eventually when I replace my ottoman.

Dh doesn't care about pillows and always move them BUT me and the kids always use them every time we sit. (he usually sits in his recliner and I don't have any pillows on it) But I think I want fewer bigger ones than I have. 

My bedroom used to be a light green as well, now it is in the blue family. I really like those shades. I would consider it for my living room except I think it would be impossible to coordinate with the couch and I've already got so many blue walls.

38 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I love a light, creamy yellow and have a bunch of my house in varying shades. I found I have to do different colors because the light affects things so much. Our house faces north south too, so that just intensifies the light issues. I went through quite a few samples and even had to repaint a room once to find what worked because I'm not fond of a brighter yellow and they ended up stark. 

Editing to add that my overall feel is casual/nature but I like light neutrals so my big pieces are warm light neutrals and my accents tend towards muted autumn colors like russet/green/cinnamon/soft gold. A creamy yellow keeps things light and goes with a lot.

I've had yellow before but don't have any yellow walls now except one kid's room but it is brighter than I'd like in the living room. I do have yellow dressers in my bedroom that I did years ago. I still love the color of those. Other than my tan walls the rest of the living spaces (kitchen, basement, my bedroom) are shades of blue. 

• Like 1

I have all of the living areas of my home painted light yellow. The bedrooms are blues/gray-blues.

my kitchen is a bolder more golden yellow while my living room and bonus room are paler. It’s like they were on the same color card I just went with varying intensities.

i love the yellow, it’s so warm and cozy and I have those tall ceilings too so it makes the room feel less cold and more welcoming. 

yellow isn’t necessarily “in” right now but I seldom follow trends and I don’t care. 

my living room and bonus room are Lemon Chiffonade from Lowes. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Signature-LEMON-CHIFFONADE-Satin-Latex-Interior-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-31-0/5001364405?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-pnt-_-ggl-_-LIA_PNT_117_Interior-Exterior-Paint-Primers-_-5001364405-_-local-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gbraid=0AAAAAD2B2W8JfwWjkKMZKaKwys2dOHyLF&gclid=CjwKCAjw5P2aBhAlEiwAAdY7dM2R5bQuHDto-5cl-wVKPz57Hnbj94sKt9BrQKcUaHxq3UR-UJSR8BoCjJkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

while the description says “beige” it doesn’t look beige at all on the walls. It has a light reflective value of 79. I wanted something over 75 to brighten my rooms in the gray middle Tennessee winter. 

I mainly decorate with blues, reds, and greens ( no gray) so I’ve not had problems decorating with it. It coordinates very well with all the colors I tend to use. We also have wood (medium brown) flooring and stone fireplaces so it goes well with those.

• Like 2

Another thing you can use to bring coziness to a large room, is to create a nook or two. For example, I have two wooden rockers and a rug that are slightly separate from the main living room seating. They are easily included when we need more seating, but are also easily separated if desired. I considered adding a small table/chairs (not kid-sized) in front of the fireplace for games/puzzles, but decided it would make our room look too cluttered and busy. (In front of the fireplace sounds like a weird spot, but due to the configuration of the room, the fireplace is actually behind some of the seating because of the location where the TV has to be due to plugs, etc. There isn't a mantle--it's a little different.)

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CHG8J54/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have this rug, and I love it. It has all of the colors that you say you like (zoom in to get a better image of the colors). It's also not expensive.

I can't help much with paint, because I would say tan to give the room warmth, and that's the color you want to get rid of. I like yellow, but it's VERY hard to pick a good yellow.

• Like 3

I didn't read other replies well first, but I cannot, cannot, cannot choose paint without choosing curtains (or bedspread, or whatever), etc. first, unless I am painting a really neutral color. It drives me batty to try, so I no longer fight it. 

We found that sticking together a bunch of the same color paint chips in a block configuration and then moving them around the room at different times of day (and ideally on a sunny day and a cloudy day) has been the winning way to pick a color we like without having to do much work or paint little splotches all over. If I am going to paint, I want to make a day of it and be done, not make a million little messes, lol!!!

I would probably find either my perfect curtains or my perfect rug. You might not want a lot of pattern on both at the same time (DH doesn't really like a lot of color on the floor, for instance), so I would choose whichever thing first that was giving me the most trouble (this can be market dependent--now that I am not looking for curtains, there are quite a few that are what I wanted five years ago, lol!), and then I would work on the rest around that one thing.

I hope you can enjoy the process and settle things in a way that you really like in the end. 🙂 

• Like 1

Behr paint through Home Depot has one cup samples they will mix for you. It was quite cheap. We brought them home and just painted little patches that received natural light, and then we could see what our favorite ones would really look like on the walls. It was worth the dollars spent on those samples.

• Like 1

I'd actually choose curtains or a rug first, and then pick a wall color that coordinates.

And if you end up leaning towards yellow for the walls, yellows that look too beige or tan on the card (like the one FairFarmhand linked) often look perfectly soft and warm and glowy on the walls, while colors that look light and pretty on the card can seem way stronger and brighter once the color is reflecting off all four walls. I painted the dining room in my previous house four times in two months trying to find the perfect light gold color. The first colors I tried all looked great on the card but two were too bright on the wall, and one went strangely green. Then I found the perfect color on a card of brown shades, which looked like a dull yellowy tan on the card but was an absolutely gorgeous pale, warm gold on the walls.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

If you're looking at yellows, try Benjamin Moore Pale Moon and Benjamin Moore Hawthorn Yellow. Depending on what the colors do in your space, if you need something lighter and more neutral, try Ivory Tusk.

You can go onto pinterest and google the color names and lots of photos will pop up. It'll give you a sense of what resonates with you. But, I would for sure do test pots of paint. Yellow is very hard to nail down. Also, be sure to check in low light conditions. You don't want a color you're happy with in the day that turns highlighter yellow at night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I'd actually choose curtains or a rug first, and then pick a wall color that coordinates.

And if you end up leaning towards yellow for the walls, yellows that look too beige or tan on the card (like the one FairFarmhand linked) often look perfectly soft and warm and glowy on the walls, while colors that look light and pretty on the card can seem way stronger and brighter once the color is reflecting off all four walls. I painted the dining room in my previous house four times in two months trying to find the perfect light gold color. The first colors I tried all looked great on the card but two were too bright on the wall, and one went strangely green. Then I found the perfect color on a card of brown shades, which looked like a dull yellowy tan on the card but was an absolutely gorgeous pale, warm gold on the walls.

This is exactly what I found. I ended up using Yellow Bliss by Valspar and Candlelight by Behr, both of which I would have passed right by on a chip or online because they look too muddy, but I love them on the walls. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the specific shades to look at. I do think I want a yellow but just on the other side of cream. And good points about trying out some different shades. I know from previous rooms I've done yellow it is hard to do right so I want to err on the light side.

I'm interested to hear some say to do the curtains and rug first. Dh will be like what's going on I thought you were just painting 🙂 I'm looking for sort of a vintage- 70s vibe. I have this old sheet set from dh's grandma that I'd like to find something similar. However, I've been looking for the perfect floral curtains for years now and have yet to find ones that are just right.

My rooms I like the most have been a bit quirky. My main bathroom is too shades of purple it is the oldest paint in the house and I still adore it. My bedroom dressers are a light yellow. On the other hand, my living room looks very traditional but it doesn't fit well.

I actually started looking at curtains first. I've found some I like but none in my price range and there is a good chance I'll have to wait until Christmas to have the funds.

@StorygirlThat is a very lovely rug. I think it is too geometric for what I'm looking for and the colors a bit darker than I was aiming. Thanks for pointing out that brand I'll look through there other rugs to see if there are any closer to what I had in mind.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So far I've changed the rug, some pillows, and foot stool. I think I don't mind the paint so much without the brown rug and tan pillows (I'd already moved them in the second pic). I found a light yellow I like and even put some on the wall to try but as it is when you change the things that most bother you sometimes the other things fall away. I have limited funds. My changes so far have been financed by selling things and early Christmas gift from my parents. I'll get some Christmas money from DHS mom but if I painted that would take it all instead I think I'll find new covers for some of the bay window pillows , recover the cushion, add some curtains, and look for one or two big, colorful, fuzzy throws. Reusing things, doing it myself and shopping around I should be able to do all that and maybe have some left for the bench I want to build in the entryway.

IMG_20221206_082632578_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221124_074821568_HDR.jpg

Edited by Soror
  • Like 7

Oh, and I looked and looked for curtains and finally gave up. I think I will do some floral curtains in the bay window - the same as in my kitchen but leave the others. At the end of the day I couldn't find ones I loved in my price range and it wasn't worth the cost to pick some I didn't.

Edited by Soror

With the color of your furniture and your new rug, I would be looking at trying to pick up that soft blue in the rug with the orange center as my paint color. I think it would tie everything together and look nice with your white curtains. I have a sister to that rug, and a slightly greyed out version of that blue would feel soft and inviting. 

I also wonder if you can break up your furniture arrangement a bit so if feels softer and less like a series of rectangles.

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

With the color of your furniture and your new rug, I would be looking at trying to pick up that soft blue in the rug with the orange center as my paint color. I think it would tie everything together and look nice with your white curtains. I have a sister to that rug, and a slightly greyed out version of that blue would feel soft and inviting. 

I also wonder if you can break up your furniture arrangement a bit so if feels softer and less like a series of rectangles.

I've had the furniture in several configurations in the past but have ended up with this one. Do you have any suggestions? 

I hesitate on the blue because my furniture is a blue (as an aside when I bought it I thought it was a gray-- I sent dh to get it and when he came home it looked more blue than anything else). I do like blue. My whole basement is blue, some of the kitchen, and my bedroom 🙂

I think it needs a couple of pops of bright color. Orange maybe? Yellow or red would be lovely too. 

However, for curtains, you don't have to necessarily use curtains themselves. With curtain clips you can take a set of sheets, a tablecloth, or just plain fabric (you can hem it for a finished look) to create curtains out of whatever fabric you want. 

• Like 1

Do you need the recliner in this room? It makes the area by the window bench feel crowded and throws off the proportions and feel of the room?

I would put the couch facing the tv armoire to weight balance the armoire visually (with the front feet on the rug, angle one chair at 45 and put one chair facing straight out where the couch currently is. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Do you need the recliner in this room? It makes the area by the window bench feel crowded and throws off the proportions and feel of the room?

I would put the couch facing the tv armoire to weight balance the armoire visually (with the front feet on the rug, angle one chair at 45 and put one chair facing straight out where the couch currently is. 

Lol I would be happy to get rid of it dh not so much 🙂 I had the layout like that previously. The width of the couch is wider than the 2 chairs so I had a hard time leaving walking room. I can try again 

15 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I think it needs a couple of pops of bright color. Orange maybe? Yellow or red would be lovely too. 

However, for curtains, you don't have to necessarily use curtains themselves. With curtain clips you can take a set of sheets, a tablecloth, or just plain fabric (you can hem it for a finished look) to create curtains out of whatever fabric you want. 

I actually have pillows with a nice yellow and others with shades of blue and red- you may not be able to see that on the picture. I'm looking for throws with some color to bring that out along with changing the covers for the bay window pillows too.

With the suggestions mentioned- I know the picture is not terribly bright but the closest I have in the house. This was previously in the room but I switched it for my bedroom. Why I can't remember. I know I have lots of wood already. I was just looking on Amazon for some prints. @prairiewindmomma do you have a specific color you think would work with my furniture. Aai said I hadn't looked at blues as I was afraid of clashing but al open to ideas. Sorry one pic is dark I forgot to turn on the flash and light and it's gloomy out.

IMG_20221207_073945444_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221207_073926526_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

With the new photos, I do like the soft yellow sample you have up…

Thanks for opinion. I do like the color. I thought it was warm and pulled from the rug as well as lightened it up. But I'm not sure if it is worth the time and money. Sigh. If I had a lot more funds I wouldn't have to pick and choose so much. 

I think it looks nice. With additional funds, I'd suggest painting with the soft yellow and getting a glass and iron coffee table and side table. It would lighten the look further and decrease the number of different woods. I picked up a glass coffee table from Facebook Marketplace for pretty cheap. Also pull the front legs of the furniture onto the rug for a bit more of an anchored look. I like the white curtains, especially if you can do the yellow eventually, and I wouldn't change them.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I think it looks nice. With additional funds, I'd suggest painting with the soft yellow and getting a glass and iron coffee table and side table. It would lighten the look further and decrease the number of different woods. I picked up a glass coffee table from Facebook Marketplace for pretty cheap. Also pull the front legs of the furniture onto the rug for a bit more of an anchored look. I like the white curtains, especially if you can do the yellow eventually, and I wouldn't change them.

Yes! I've thought about just painting the ones I have but have a hard time painting decent wood and honestly if I'm going to that trouble would rather do it for ones I love the shape of more. I actually got them on marketplace. They weren't exactly what wanted but a good price for the condition. I've looked from time to time but have yet to find any I like better I can afford.  I've not considered the iron and glass that would be a nice change from the wood. Hmmm.

I do have the front legs on the rug but might not have when I took the photo. 

39 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I like the arrangement of the furniture in the latest picture a lot more.

47 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I really like the soft yellow.

Thank you for your thoughts!

• Like 2

Opinions on prioritizing funds? 

Paint

Throws Lamp for end table and picture for wall (or you think the blue one will work- once it's straightened up as I just put it on the hangers for the last one). I could use light there and I think the height would be a nice difference. I actually need more throws than I have for the winter as we keep it pretty cool. I thought this would be a good way to bring in color too.

Pillows, curtains, and recovering bay window cushion to coordinate with new colors. Some of my pillows will go but my cushion cover is is due to be recovered anyway so I might as well coordinate it. 

Non-wood coffee table and end table to break up the amount of wood in there. 

Edited by Soror

I think painting the walls would make the most difference. It may be the lighting for the photos, but it seems to me that you could use more light and brightness.

Also, I'm thinking that the reason some people mention pops of color as a suggestion is that all of the colors in the room, except for the white curtains, are in a kind of mid-tone range. It helps to have contrast, so adding some lighter elements and some darker elements to the room would give it more visual interest. Painting the walls lighter would help a lot with this. Although instead of yellow, I'd suggest a very light neutral tan or beige. My bathroom is SW softer tan, and my cabinets have been painted blue, and I find that that kind of warm-cool contrast is pleasing to my eye. Yellow paint is VERY hard to get right, and tan is easier.

41 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Fwiw, I would paint the walls first. Go for a satin finish to help bring some light in the space and offer additional scrub ability with kid messes. 

This.

Keep the blue painting.

I think your wood will look different with the brighter paint, so start with that.

Keep the white curtains.

JMHO - YMMV 😜