Menu

Bivalent booster side effects

desertflower

Hi.

I’m asking on behalf of a friend.

Her mom got the bivalent booster shot yesterday. She has a 102.4 fever today and is sleeping all day. 

She wants to know if this is a side effect. 

As for me, I just had a low grade fever for 24 hours. 

Has anyone experienced or know someone who had a high fever with the bivalent booster? 

thanks in advance.

ETA: My friend has enough information.  Thanks for your help!

Edited by desertflower
update

A friends  husband husband had the vax booster yesterday.

Overnight he became weak, this am he was confused and fell in the bathroom twice and us running a temp.

She was considering Er last I heard.

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

Do you know if she got Moderna or Pfizer? I had very little reaction to the first two Pfizer shots, then a very strong reaction to the first two Moderna boosters, including fever, swollen armpit and lymph nodes, my whole arm was hot and red, and I felt tired and flu-y for several days. And then I was back to just a slightly sore arm with the Moderna bivalent booster.

• Like 1

I had a real fever after dose 3 & 4 and was down pretty hard for 24 hours.  I didn't really track my fever but I was in bed, had the chills and did take advil.   So it's definitely possible.   

I haven't heard about anything specific with this version compared to prior.  Anecdotally, I've heard more people that had 1 or 2 previous strong reactions have less of a reaction for this dose.  So who knows?  Maybe just where your immune system is at recognizing the virus and reacting to it.

And FTR my 3rd dose was Pfizer and my 4th  was Moderna.   Side affects were very similar for both.  

I am going to get my bivalent soon but my teen at home just got over covid last week.  We at least had a little exposure though we did get her into isolation pretty fast.  I also want to split flu and covid this time just to monitor side affects and see how this one rolls.  I may do flu first.  I'll probably do one or the other in the next week or 2.

Edited by catz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

Do you know if she got Moderna or Pfizer? I had very little reaction to the first two Pfizer shots, then a very strong reaction to the first two Moderna boosters, including fever, swollen armpit and lymph nodes, my whole arm was hot and red, and I felt tired and flu-y for several days. And then I was back to just a slightly sore arm with the Moderna bivalent booster.

No, I don't know.  Do you want me to ask?  Thanks for your info!

5 hours ago, KatieJ said:

A friends  husband husband had the vax booster yesterday.

Overnight he became weak, this am he was confused and fell in the bathroom twice and us running a temp.

She was considering Er last I heard.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's dh, Katie -- this reaction sounds scary! I hope you will let us know how he's doing tomorrow -- with any luck, he will be feeling a lot better. I'll pray for him!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure my son had a fever almost that high when he got his third shot last December.  And it went on for like three days.  It's a little hard to know exactly about the fever because he was taking a lot of Advil at the same time.

• Like 1

No lie I’m nervous about getting another covid vax of any kind. The first vax wasn’t too bad. But each time my reaction has gotten way worse. And I still got covid twice!  And the last time I was super awful for several weeks.

otoh. I sure do not want to get covid a third time.

otoh. If for whatever reason the vax isn’t taking for me, then screw that bc I was down like didn’t leave my room. At all for a good 5 days with the last moderna vax I got.

I’m very conflicted at this point for myself. Dh and all the kids except the 6 yr old have had their boosters and done well. I’m the only one who has actually gotten covid. We all got the flu shots. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's dh, Katie -- this reaction sounds scary! I hope you will let us know how he's doing tomorrow -- with any luck, he will be feeling a lot better. I'll pray for him

He is up and around, clear headed and steady on his feet. Fever is gone.

Thank you for your concern and prayers on his behalf. 

• Like 6