Menu

robot vacuums

kristin0713

Do you have one? What do you have and do you like it? I'm thinking of getting one today while they are on sale. We have floors and carpet on the main floor and a plush carpet on the second floor that is super hard to vacuum. Like it's really, really hard to push the vacuum across it. I told DH this and he was skeptical until he vacuumed and saw for himself. So I'm wondering if a Roomba or something like that would work on it? 

I like my now-old Eufy just fine. I’ve only ever used it on standard pile carpet, area rugs, and hard floors though.

My main problem is that mine doesn’t respect the magnetic “no-no strip” it came with, so there was 1 spot in our old house and 1 in the new where he likes to get stuck because he’s dumb. I’m sure newer models are better than that now.

IMO, it is NOT a replacement for a regular vacuum, but keeps things tidier and goes longer between regular vacuuming. Again, newer models maybe do better than that. (?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a 8 month old Eufy. We got it because we were keeping my dd's cat and my dh is allergic to pet dander, and I didn't want to vacuum twice a day. This is not a smart one, so it just randomly goes all over. We have hard surface floors and dense throw rugs and some carpet (bedrooms). Sometimes it gets stuck on something - usually by a wall or corner where there is a level change. It will usually free itself within about 10 minutes, but sometimes it doesn't.  It vacuums anywhere from 1.5 to 1.75 hours before it returns to its charging station. 

We did purchase some additional filters that I change semi-regularly (they were cheap on Amazon).

If you have some things on hard floors - like a piece of grass or a small stone, depending upon how it hits it, sometimes it knocks it for a spin and doesn't pick it up, sometimes it rolls right over it and doesn't pick it up - but it does the next time. 

Overall, I am pleased with it as I don't have to vacuum with our Dyson as much. It's also lovely because it gets all the way under the beds! I agree that it is not a total replacement for your regular vacuuming but will increase the time between regular vacuuming. 

I've told my DH that I would like to investigate getting a smarter one that remembers the layout of the house so maybe the vacuuming won't be so random. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

which model did you get? 

I got the G30. I'm hoping it really does memorize your rooms/arrangement and will get everything every time.  We will see. But at $180, I could not resist. I've had that one on my wish list since we decided the robotic vacuum was going to work for us. 

9 hours ago, Bambam said:

Add just like that, I decide to see if the smarter Eufy was one of Amazon's prime deals, and yes, it was a lightning deal, so now our new smarter robot vacuum will be arriving Friday! 

HA! My husband is currently watching a video review comparing all Eufy models! We already have 3 but 2 are old. @kristin0713,
I would say if your floors are mostly carpeted, it’s probably not worth it. They are great for hard floors. They actually do a better job of picking up cat litter than my regular vacuum. 

Prime days are killing my budget! Usually it’s ME making the purchases, so I’m laughing that it’s DH this time!

Edited by popmom

55 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

I watched a bunch of reviews by Vacuum Wars. I ended up getting the fancy roomba j7+, which was on sale today but still more than I ever thought I’d spend. My son watched the reviews with me and he told me to go big or go home 😆

You’ll have to update with your own review!

We have a Shark, purchased in July. Love it. Great for pet hair — we have an Aussie, lots of hair but no issues.

Prior to this we had an off brand (something like Deebot in the name?), and used it till it died. I didn’t love it for pet hair, and it often needed “help.” 

The Shark is much more easy going. We have hardwood and ruggables, though, no carpet.

We do a bigger clean every two weeks, and vacuum, but occasionally miss that target and the Shark managed fine.