Menu

If you color code your Bible

Storygirl

Please share what you do. I don't normally write in my Bible, and I want to start. I have a new Bible with note-taking sections on the side, and I have some colored pens. I'm thinking I will underline and write notes in certain colors, and I need to decide what categories I want to use for each color. I'm a perfectionist, so these decisions are hard for me, and I figured some of you have ideas about this.

• Like 2

I'm another vote for inductive Bible study!  I've used this study method for more than 25 years & lead Precept Bible studies. Feel free to ask questions. I recommend it very highly - you will learn to study the Bible!

For an overview you can go to this page, select "try the method" and get a download booklet on the basics of inductive study. If you want more detail, I suggest getting the book  How to Study Your Bible by Kay Arthur.

You can find a very thorough list of suggested key word markings here. With that in mind, I have mostly kept my markings much more basic by using color pencils and changing the color of basic things like underlining, circling, putting a square around a word, etc..

Remember that marking key words and other important information in your Bible is a tool to use to learn what the Bible says, not an end in itself.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been taking Precept classes for over 25 years.  I love the method - but I don't love all the markings in my bible - I have a low tolerance for a lot of writing or marking there.   

My advice is to think very carefully about what you'd like to mark and why, and then to start slowly so that you can see whether you really like it or not.

Anne

• Like 5

I have my own system I worked out for topics that were of particular interest to me. I put a key in the back on one of the blank pages. Orange for Holy Spirit, red for prayer, purple for Messianic prophecies, etc.

Make sure you use acid-free pens.

I’m another one that doesn’t like too much making. I read Lat Arthur’s book, but it was a bit much for the Bible I use regularly. I’ll do some of that more marking intensive stuff on printouts, but not my permanent Bible.

• Like 2

I don't normally do more than underlining, but I heard a good idea that I might start.  For each passage/verse choose a color (say blue) for the main idea.  Then a different color for supporting ideas to that main idea.  You could have a third/fourth color for supporting ideas to the supporting ideas.  I like the idea of focusing on an outline format rather than color coding individual words.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 10:27 PM, Anne said:

I have been taking Precept classes for over 25 years.  I love the method - but I don't love all the markings in my bible - I have a low tolerance for a lot of writing or marking there.   

My advice is to think very carefully about what you'd like to mark and why, and then to start slowly so that you can see whether you really like it or not.

Anne

This is my problem!! I have a lovely journaling Bible that I asked for as a gift, https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-English-Standard-Journaling/dp/1433565412/ref=sr_1_25?crid=AI4I968CZ4R8&keywords=journaling+bible&qid=1663955536&sprefix=journaling+bible%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-25    but I've been hesitant to start writing and underlining, because I'm a perfectionist. I've had the Bible for about a year and a half, so I'm definitely procrastinating about using it, though I really want to.

I have quite a few other Bibles, but I don't write in them and very rarely underline -- I take all of my Bible study notes in notebooks instead.

I'm telling myself that if I start marking my new Bible, it's fine, even if I don't end up liking it! I have other Bibles, after all. But it's still hard for me to launch off and try it. I bought a set of colored pens, but I have to make my own decisions about what to use each color for.

I'm familiar with Kay Arthur's methods, though I haven't done one of her studies.

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I don’t have any suggestions, but I bought a few sets of these highlighters for Bible journals (for me and my teens) and they are such lovely muted colors.  Highlighters have come a long way since the neons of my youth, lol. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09C4141NF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

These are lovely!

On 9/21/2022 at 9:27 PM, Anne said:

Anne

And that's one of the reasons that each Precepts study includes the complete book of the Bible being studied, so that people can mark that up instead of their actual Bibles. 🙂 I still mark up my own Bible, though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ellie said:

And that's one of the reasons that each Precepts study includes the complete book of the Bible being studied, so that people can mark that up instead of their actual Bibles. 🙂 I still mark up my own Bible, though.

oh, absolutely - I mark up my class text to a fare-thee-well!  🙂   But my own bible is much more restrained and subdued!!

Anne

• Like 2

My dh likes to mark his Bible pretty heavily. In his case, he considers the marked Bible as something he will eventually dispose of. He marks his way steadily through and then recycles it when he's read everything or the Bible is falling apart too much to be of use. In that sense it's like a workbook--a tool to serve the purpose of studying and noticing. He got the idea for this system from someone else, but I'm not sure if it's something he read about or something one of our friends does. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 10:46 AM, alisoncooks said:

I don’t have any suggestions, but I bought a few sets of these highlighters for Bible journals (for me and my teens) and they are such lovely muted colors.  Highlighters have come a long way since the neons of my youth, lol. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09C4141NF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Can you see these from the other page?

• Like 2

I promise to stop bumping this.

I'm going to start the Kay Arthur book today.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:00 PM, Storygirl said:

This is my problem!! I have a lovely journaling Bible that I asked for as a gift, https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-English-Standard-Journaling/dp/1433565412/ref=sr_1_25?crid=AI4I968CZ4R8&keywords=journaling+bible&qid=1663955536&sprefix=journaling+bible%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-25    but I've been hesitant to start writing and underlining, because I'm a perfectionist. I've had the Bible for about a year and a half, so I'm definitely procrastinating about using it, though I really want to.

I have quite a few other Bibles, but I don't write in them and very rarely underline -- I take all of my Bible study notes in notebooks instead.

I'm telling myself that if I start marking my new Bible, it's fine, even if I don't end up liking it! I have other Bibles, after all. But it's still hard for me to launch off and try it. I bought a set of colored pens, but I have to make my own decisions about what to use each color for.

I'm familiar with Kay Arthur's methods, though I haven't done one of her studies.

I have been thinking about this thread for weeks. I wanted to do inductive Bible study a few years ago but everything you said here bothered me. I always hate having written in my Bible. Two days ago I was looking at Bible journaling and found a photo of one with blank paper taped in with washi tape (reusable tape like a post it, won't rip the pages when removed) in the margins and highlighter post its. She doesn't write in her Bible at all, but has written all over it. I absolutely love it! I found clear post its on Amazon, too, so I can write directly on the text. Her Bible was very fat because of what she put in it, but I don't care. I'm fat, too. 🙂

I have a wishlist on Amazon with a Bible journaling Bible, clear post its, highlighter post its and washi tape. I think you could get the whole shebang for under $20 since you already have a Bible.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

Thanks, @Slache! These are some great ideas that I wouldn't have thought of! I didn't even know that clear post-it notes exist. Having a fat Bible might bother me, but I could certainly try out methods this way and figure out what suits my preferences before switching to making permanent marks.

You also could totally dissect a book and then move your findings to another location and remove everything. You could keep a journal or even back it up digitally so you could reference it while you're out.

I watched a video of a writer who created a wiki for her books. It looked pretty simple and complete.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I promise to stop bumping this.

I'm going to start the Kay Arthur book today.

Do you mean the How to Study Your Bible book? It’s a great reference tool. There is also the book Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days that is a hands on approach in that it is a Bible Study where you learn the inductive process as you’re doing it. 

Does anyone have an interest in participating in an inductive study club? I would I’ll be glad to start one. That way we could have a dedicated space for Q&A, tips, to talk about what we’re learning, etc. Let me know what you think. 

• Like 3

I copy the Scripture I am studying in a composition book and then do all my marking up there. I only underline things in my Bible. I am a bit of a perfectionist like others who have posted and don't want to mess up my Bible. But also, if I decide to study that book or passage again at some point, I don't have to deal with previous study notes. I can start fresh with the passage.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Do you mean the How to Study Your Bible book? It’s a great reference tool. There is also the book Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days that is a hands on approach in that it is a Bible Study where you learn the inductive process as you’re doing it. 

Does anyone have an interest in participating in an inductive study club? I would I’ll be glad to start one. That way we could have a dedicated space for Q&A, tips, to talk about what we’re learning, etc. Let me know what you think. 

Thank you! 

I don't have time for a club right now. 🙂

17 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I copy the Scripture I am studying in a composition book and then do all my marking up there. I only underline things in my Bible. I am a bit of a perfectionist like others who have posted and don't want to mess up my Bible. But also, if I decide to study that book or passage again at some point, I don't have to deal with previous study notes. I can start fresh with the passage.

I was keeping a binder but hated not having it when I went out. The entire Bible is 5 binders, so I'm not taking it anywhere.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Slache said:

Thank you! 

I don't have time for a club right now. 🙂

I was keeping a binder but hated not having it when I went out. The entire Bible is 5 binders, so I'm not taking it anywhere.

Oh, by club I just mean a board club, not a club club. A place where we can drop questions or comments for people to respond as they are able.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 3