Menu

The Garage Band Headache

stephanier.1765

Hoo boy. I hope so! 9:00 is way too close to my bedtime. 

2 minutes ago, Kanin said:

That and people forgetting to turn off outdoor lights!

Wait. You want people to turn off outdoor lights? I leave them on on purpose. Bad guys are less likely to approach a well-lit house. At least that’s what I learned growing up in Philly. 

But I do hope they quiet down soon, OP!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Hoo boy. I hope so! 9:00 is way too close to my bedtime. 

Wait. You want people to turn off outdoor lights? I leave them on on purpose. Bad guys are less likely to approach a well-lit house. At least that’s what I learned growing up in Philly. 

But I do hope they quiet down soon, OP!

The nighttime lights took me a while to get used to when we moved to our current area - not necessarily higher crime but higher rate of mischief. The neighbors all leave theirs on all night, so we had to get blackout shades for the bedroom. Before we lived here here, we never lived in an area where they were kept on all night. We’ve always had neighborhood street lights, though, and that was plenty. 

No comment on the garage band! My reaction would depend on how often they started having rehearsals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kanin said:

Oh, that would put me right over the edge. Noises are my number one nerve-jangler. That and people forgetting to turn off outdoor lights!

Hope you get some peace and quiet soon!

Interesting about outdoor lights. If you are talking about decorative outdoor lights, I can understand. But porch lights/garage lights are usually left on here to deter thieves. I love that my neighborhood is lit up at night. Nothing obnoxious, just lit up porches and driveways.

• Like 1

I do wish our neighborhood entertainment would travel some and exchange residences with other neighborhoods'.  We have a bagpipe player behind us.  He has gotten to the point of .......not bad.....but I wouldn't mind sending him over and taking your garage band one night in return!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Wait. You want people to turn off outdoor lights?

While I completely understand the reasons to keep lights on overnight, and we’re staying in a house where we did just that last night by choice, one good reason to leave them off can be because they can interfere with bird migration. I follow a twitter account which tracks heavy migration nights. They always ask people to leave lights off.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Lol. No crime to speak of in my neighborhood. Hardly anyone locks their cars or houses. One of my neighbors has a kind of short streetlight lamp at the end of his driveway, and it's almost never turned on... on the rare occasions it is, I can see it through my bedroom window (and curtains). But I'm oversensitive to lights so it's probably just a me thing. 

19 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I thought you meant the band Garage (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garage_(band)) because some of my middle school classmates were fans. Where I live, the noise rule is no noise from 11pm to 7am. We all have at least one set of noise canceling headsets/earbuds each. 

Is it literally worded as "no noise"? I'm just wondering what qualifies, bc people around here often go to work or go fishing/duck hunting much earlier than 7 am. 

The people going to work generally don't make much noise, but they're obviously starting their cars and whatnot. The people who fish and hunt aren't crazy loud, but loading and hitching a boat does make a certain amount of noise. Like I always hear the guy next door, because his boat is pretty close to our bedroom window. 

15 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I do wish our neighborhood entertainment would travel some and exchange residences with other neighborhoods'.  We have a bagpipe player behind us.  He has gotten to the point of .......not bad.....but I wouldn't mind sending him over and taking your garage band one night in return!

My church is on a huge hill and a  group of bagpipers (with a few drums) used to practice up there once a month. I always wondered of the neighbors dreaded that night of the month!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, katilac said:

Is it literally worded as "no noise"? I'm just wondering what qualifies, bc people around here often go to work or go fishing/duck hunting much earlier than 7 am. 

We have neighbors who work shifts. No noise just means be considerate. I live in a condo. Talking loudly at the ground floor open air parking to the extent your fourth floor neighbor could hear clearly everything that is said is way too loud for 11pm to 7am. 

Starting your relatively noisy car to go to work isn’t an issue. Jamming the car radio top blast at 6am while leaving the complex to get to work is an issue.

Having a party and blasting music is something that people would tolerate unless it is consecutive nights (not including weekends). However, not lowering the volume after 11pm would definitely have upset neighbors complaining. 

Like my paramedic neighbor used to say, he needs his sleep to do his work well. My HOA has adjusted the time a few times and the majority agree that 11pm to 7am is a good compromise. For those of us who play a musical instrument, we could practice our violin, clarinet, flute, etc between the hours of 7am to 11pm, and everyone would tolerate hearing the same melodies days on end. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

They must think they are really hot stuff, because after playing until 11:30, they shot off fireworks for their finale. I'm really hoping there isn't an encore scheduled for tonight.

Wow! Ds and his friends have a jam session every week. Usually it's at a business that's closed that day (the owner is one of the musicians) but they've occasionally jammed in our garage. They always keep the amps at a reasonable volume and when they meet here in the evening they stop by 9pm. Our local noise ordinance is 10pm but they don't feel right going that late. 

11:30 seems rude although maybe they thought it was okay since it was a weekend. People who work M-F often forget some people actually work weekends. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scholastica said:

Hopefully it was their farewell performance!

LOL! Other than the kid practicing who lives at the house, all has been quiet. I'm hoping the entire garage band will be just a once a week affair. And hopefully, it won't be until 11:30 followed up by fireworks every time. The kid practicing doesn't bother me at all. Alone, he's nowhere near as loud as the entire band. He just sort of fades into the background of other every day noise.