Menu

Looks like it might be our turn

Tree Frog

Dh works in an office with 3 other men. All 3 tested positive yesterday and this morning with symptoms ranging from 103+ fever and massive headache. DH doesn't have any symptoms yet, but we're staying in different parts of the house just in case. I'm supposed to drive in 4 days to visit dd, my mom, my sister, and my dad, a total of over 20 hours of drive time plus visiting time. If either of us come down with it, I won't go. What can we do to keep this at bay? Neither of us have had Covid that we're aware of. Thanks for your suggestions!

Things I'm doing and have suggested to dh:

Supplements: Vit D, Vit C, Zinc, NAC, Zlear nasal spray (thanks, @BeachGal)

Air purifier going

Windows open for now. There's a breeze, but we're supposed to be up over 100* today, so they'll be closed at some point.

All ceiling fans going.

Lots of water

Dh is masking when he comes down to the main level. Do I need to mask? Our house is a fairly open floor plan, so the air flows everywhere.

We're sleeping in separate rooms.

• Sad 17

I hope you 2 escape it.  In my post I mentioned dh and I went 2 1/2 years and didn't get it until 2 weeks ago today.  DH is day 14 Fri and I'm day 13 Fri.  I do agree with Eliz86 to stock up on food if you can.  Do it now before symptoms set in IF they do.  Maybe they won't and you'll still have food to consume.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

You could also try stinging nettle root supplements. Now is the brand we take. 500 mg per day should be okay. You will want to make sure it is root only and then read about allergies and other drug interactions it could have.

One of my sons is about to go on a cruise and will be taking that as well as Thorne’s quercetin phytosome, some other supplements and using the Xlear spray. We will see how he fares.

Hope you don’t get it. 🤞🏼

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I hope you 2 escape it.  In my post I mentioned dh and I went 2 1/2 years and didn't get it until 2 weeks ago today.  DH is day 14 Fri and I'm day 13 Fri.  I do agree with Eliz86 to stock up on food if you can.  Do it now before symptoms set in IF they do.  Maybe they won't and you'll still have food to consume.  

Right? It stinks how so many of us here have escaped for 2.5 years now we are all getting it. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I figure we're due to have it at some point. I just don't want it now!

I'm so sorry it's taken you and your dh so long to get over it! Are you both still having symptoms?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

You could also try stinging nettle root supplements. Now is the brand we take. 500 mg per day should be okay. You will want to make sure it is root only and then read about allergies and other drug interactions it could have.

One of my sons is about to go on a cruise and will be taking that as well as Thorne’s quercetin phytosome, some other supplements and using the Xlear spray. We will see how he fares.

Hope you don’t get it. 🤞🏼

I got quercetin for my mom and just checked to see if I got any for us. Looks like something I'll need to order. Do you know what does the phytosome does?

35 minutes ago, Tree Frog said:

I got quercetin for my mom and just checked to see if I got any for us. Looks like something I'll need to order. Do you know what does the phytosome does?

The phytosome variety is better absorbed so more potent.

The Thorne brand supplements are pretty reliable and often used in research as a result.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tree Frog said:

I figure we're due to have it at some point. I just don't want it now!

I'm so sorry it's taken you and your dh so long to get over it! Are you both still having symptoms?

Right, thanks.  Well, our last test on Tuesday showed an almost imperceptible "faint" line.  Almost couldn't see it or if looking too quickly it would have been missed.  I used a magnifier on it to be sure.  Anyway, we are going to test tomorrow, Saturday, and hope there is NO line at all.  We really only had bad symptoms July 7/8 for dh and 7/9 for me to about Wed 9/13.  There were symptoms afterward of this fatigue people are talking about.  One day since 9/13 dh was dizzy for an afternoon and my stomach has felt a little queasy - but only a bit.  All in all our symptoms are virtually gone except our stamina is not what it was and we tire more quickly.  I'd have to look at my post, but a poster said that after symptoms for her/dh I think it was another 2 weeks for them to gain their energy back.  Everyone goes through it differently to point but there are overlaps of symptoms too.  We DO have more energy than last week but not what we used to have.  We're pretty active and I'm surprised we even got this.  We are hoping to make a full recovery of restored "usual" energy/stamina.  

• Like 1

Sorry, I just posted on the omicron rhread that ds tested positive, but asymptomatic, at the shore this morning. He’s on the way home rn and I’m going to isolate him in the family room. It’s a split level, so dh put up a plastic tarp over the opening, we had an air purifier and a fan to blow air out of his space. It also has an outside door. Hopefully that will do it here. I’m not planning on letting him up in the main area. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

What can we do to keep this at bay? Neither of us have had Covid that we're aware of. Thanks for your suggestions!

Things I'm doing and have suggested to dh:

Supplements: Vit D, Vit C, Zinc, NAC, Zlear nasal spray (thanks, @BeachGal)

Air purifier going

Windows open for now. There's a breeze, but we're supposed to be up over 100* today, so they'll be closed at some point.

All ceiling fans going.

Lots of water

Dh is masking when he comes down to the main level. Do I need to mask? Our house is a fairly open floor plan, so the air flows everywhere.

We're sleeping in separate rooms.

Given your upcoming trip, I would be going all out. That would mean your dh doesn’t leave his room. Meals delivered to his door that he masks up before opening the door to bring in. I most definitely wouldn’t be in the same space as him without both of you wearing well fitting N95s, but I would avoid doing that at all if not necessary. I would leave all bathroom fans running as well. Your other things all sound good. 

• Like 4

Dh tested again last night and it was again negative. He does't have symptoms. I looked at the CDC site and it says the incubation period for omicron is 3-4 days. If he was exposed on Thursday, today would be the third day. If he still tests negative tomorrow, does that mean we're out of the woods?

"Data suggest that incubation periods may differ by variant of the virus. The incubation period for COVID-19 is thought to extend to 14 days. Meta-analyses of studies published in 2020 identified a pooled mean incubation period of 6.5 days from exposure to symptom onset.(1) A study conducted during high levels of Delta variant transmission reported an incubation period of 4.3 days,(2) and studies performed during high levels of Omicron variant transmission reported a median incubation period of 3–4 days.(3,4)("

I don't want my post to be searchable outside WTM; if anyone responds, please bear that in mind. If anyone wants specifics, they can private message me.  

I work in constant exposure to the public in higher education, and I've been very happy to come through several known exposures without catching COVID.  I use nasal and oral hygiene principles daily (Xlear, Nutribiotic nasal spray, or povidone-iodine in saline in a neti pot for serious exposures) and nigella sativa, and highly-debated repurposed generic drugs, or all three, depending on the level of exposure.  I take the usual recommended supplements religiously.  (I also mask in big box stores with poor ventilation, for whatever good it may do me, in spite of plenty of data that shows it's not very effective.)

For anyone reading who is not a fan of the off-label pharmaceuticals, you do you.  I will not get into a debate over them. 

Here's a fairly decent overview/compendium regarding nigella sativa, with links to a site that collects the studies.  https://onedaymd.aestheticsadvisor.com/2021/08/black-seed-and-covid-19-australian.html 

In the OPs situation, I'd be doing the nasal washes and gargles every 8 hours, and taking nigella sativa at recommended prophylactic dosages, as well as supplements. And I'd build a Corsi-Rosenthal box and start running it now in the room dh was isolating in.  Chances are if he comes down with it, it will be in the next two days. 

FWIW:  my latest exposure was about two weeks ago. I sat and talked with a co-worker for about 20 minutes at 9:30am-ish, then walked past her at her desk all morning long, stopping to talk with her briefly several times.  At noon she was steamrolled with her first symptoms, and she went home immediately, then called within the hour, having tested strongly positive (2 lines within 30 seconds on the LFT).  Her husband tested positive 4.5 days later and was quite sick.  She was moderately sick and began Pxlvd on the third day. (No rebound.) He took Mnpvr and was sicker longer, which could have been b/c his was a secondary infection. 

Best wishes, OP. 

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

Dh tested again last night and it was again negative. He does't have symptoms. I looked at the CDC site and it says the incubation period for omicron is 3-4 days. If he was exposed on Thursday, today would be the third day. If he still tests negative tomorrow, does that mean we're out of the woods?

"Data suggest that incubation periods may differ by variant of the virus. The incubation period for COVID-19 is thought to extend to 14 days. Meta-analyses of studies published in 2020 identified a pooled mean incubation period of 6.5 days from exposure to symptom onset.(1) A study conducted during high levels of Delta variant transmission reported an incubation period of 4.3 days,(2) and studies performed during high levels of Omicron variant transmission reported a median incubation period of 3–4 days.(3,4)("

Since it states a median incubation of 3-4 days, unfortunately that means half the time it was longer than that. So, you aren't out of the woods if he's clear tomorrow, but your chances of him still turning positive go down each day after that that he is still negative. 🤞

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

1. Median means that's the middle of possible incubation time, not the latest. So some were 1 day, some were 8 days. 

2. what test brand? I never tested positive on one brand, but had light positives on Binax brand. It also took a few more than 15 minutes to show up, but less than the 30 minute cut off. (I took Binax tests from multiple boxes, bought at different times, from different places, so not just a bad batch or something). It did stay negative on about day 9. I think it is just more sensitive. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

1. Median means that's the middle of possible incubation time, not the latest. So some were 1 day, some were 8 days. 

2. what test brand? I never tested positive on one brand, but had light positives on Binax brand. It also took a few more than 15 minutes to show up, but less than the 30 minute cut off. (I took Binax tests from multiple boxes, bought at different times, from different places, so not just a bad batch or something). It did stay negative on about day 9. I think it is just more sensitive. 

It was the free one the govt sent out. We have Binax tested, too, so I'll have him test with one of them. 

I didn't catch that it was the median. I think I was too hopeful. Thank for pointing it out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree Frog said:

How do you add this? It sounds like there are many different options. If you take capsules, do you have a brand you would recommend?

I use the oil, and down it with a meal as a chaser. (It smells like turpentine, which is why many people mix it with honey...apparently there is synergy there, too, but I don't want to take it with honey regularly.)  

I got liquid oil made by the same company as in this link for capsules.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2C5JOY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00J2C5JOY&pd_rd_w=8X0uf&content-id=amzn1.sym.4d0fffec-3aba-4480-8fad-c6bd8f7f6b41&pf_rd_p=4d0fffec-3aba-4480-8fad-c6bd8f7f6b41&pf_rd_r=22K3AMPDK8XRK2KRTFQV&pd_rd_wg=Zr21g&pd_rd_r=5bfd711e-691d-4965-b5dd-e45387441e85&s=hpc&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQ1dYQldJUVhMNks4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjU4MzIyMkk3UjZEN08xUThYTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDE0NDk5MzdFQjFTMFg1RkdWVyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=  (Sorry for the long link!)  The reason I got liquid was so that I could match the dosage to the studies --> 6.4mg of thymoquinone twice daily.  (It was 1.28% THQ in the brand they used:  MARNYS (TM) Cuminmar)  In the capsules I linked, 2 caps daily equals 10mg THQ. 

Honestly, for an herbal product, I wouldn't worry about that small a difference.  My opinion is that for most people, capsules are preferable to swallowing something that smells bad (like turpentine) and stings when you swallow.  (Again, that's probably why ppl take it with honey.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m gonna be real mad if I find out we’ve been locked down for years but could have had normal lives if we just Neti’d every time we brushed out teeth. 😡

I've tried using the Neti pot several times. I finally figured out to do it in the shower after I sprayed the mirror a few times with salt water. My concern is that I can't keep the water distilled/purified in the shower.

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I don't like that you have to have a turn.   I had it 3 weeks ago and the cough still lingers.   Sorry.

I'm hoping we don't have to have a turn. I'd be very happy not to have it! I'm sorry your cough lingers. I hope it's more annoying than painful. I've had a cough since 2019 and it's annoying as all get out. Thankfully it's not painful and I'm no longer throwing up from it, but it's been awkward during covid to have what is a normal cough for me.

1 hour ago, Halftime Hope said:

I use the oil, and down it with a meal as a chaser. (It smells like turpentine, which is why many people mix it with honey...apparently there is synergy there, too, but I don't want to take it with honey regularly.)  

I got liquid oil made by the same company as in this link for capsules.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2C5JOY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00J2C5JOY&pd_rd_w=8X0uf&content-id=amzn1.sym.4d0fffec-3aba-4480-8fad-c6bd8f7f6b41&pf_rd_p=4d0fffec-3aba-4480-8fad-c6bd8f7f6b41&pf_rd_r=22K3AMPDK8XRK2KRTFQV&pd_rd_wg=Zr21g&pd_rd_r=5bfd711e-691d-4965-b5dd-e45387441e85&s=hpc&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQ1dYQldJUVhMNks4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjU4MzIyMkk3UjZEN08xUThYTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDE0NDk5MzdFQjFTMFg1RkdWVyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=  (Sorry for the long link!)  The reason I got liquid was so that I could match the dosage to the studies --> 6.4mg of thymoquinone twice daily.  (It was 1.28% THQ in the brand they used:  MARNYS (TM) Cuminmar)  In the capsules I linked, 2 caps daily equals 10mg THQ. 

Honestly, for an herbal product, I wouldn't worry about that small a difference.  My opinion is that for most people, capsules are preferable to swallowing something that smells bad (like turpentine) and stings when you swallow.  (Again, that's probably why ppl take it with honey.) 

Thank you for the info.

If it stung when I swallowed it, I would probably think of it as cleaning out whatever needed cleaning out. I sometimes attribute pain to something good that's happening.

5 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

I don't want my post to be searchable outside WTM; if anyone responds, please bear that in mind. If anyone wants specifics, they can private message me.  

I work in constant exposure to the public in higher education, and I've been very happy to come through several known exposures without catching COVID.  I use nasal and oral hygiene principles daily (Xlear, Nutribiotic nasal spray, or povidone-iodine in saline in a neti pot for serious exposures) and nigella sativa, and highly-debated repurposed generic drugs, or all three, depending on the level of exposure.  I take the usual recommended supplements religiously.  (I also mask in big box stores with poor ventilation, for whatever good it may do me, in spite of plenty of data that shows it's not very effective.)

For anyone reading who is not a fan of the off-label pharmaceuticals, you do you.  I will not get into a debate over them. 

Here's a fairly decent overview/compendium regarding nigella sativa, with links to a site that collects the studies.  https://onedaymd.aestheticsadvisor.com/2021/08/black-seed-and-covid-19-australian.html 

In the OPs situation, I'd be doing the nasal washes and gargles every 8 hours, and taking nigella sativa at recommended prophylactic dosages, as well as supplements. And I'd build a Corsi-Rosenthal box and start running it now in the room dh was isolating in.  Chances are if he comes down with it, it will be in the next two days. 

FWIW:  my latest exposure was about two weeks ago. I sat and talked with a co-worker for about 20 minutes at 9:30am-ish, then walked past her at her desk all morning long, stopping to talk with her briefly several times.  At noon she was steamrolled with her first symptoms, and she went home immediately, then called within the hour, having tested strongly positive (2 lines within 30 seconds on the LFT).  Her husband tested positive 4.5 days later and was quite sick.  She was moderately sick and began Pxlvd on the third day. (No rebound.) He took Mnpvr and was sicker longer, which could have been b/c his was a secondary infection. 

Best wishes, OP. 

Thanks for all of the information on what has worked for you!

Can you tell me how you make the povidone iodine in saline mixture for the neti-pot?

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m gonna be real mad if I find out we’ve been locked down for years but could have had normal lives if we just Neti’d every time we brushed out teeth. 😡

No kidding. I used to use one after potential illness exposures (like during flu season, pre-covid), but then I read that using a neti pot reguarly actually increases the risk of sinusitis because mucus contains protective immune factors, and continually rinsing it away prevents it from doing its job. I have found myself wondering about the Japanese practice of gargling though. I wonder if they have done studies to see if any part of Japan's reduced covid rates have to do with that vs their other healthy practices such as mask wearing and focus on ventilation (I expect it's mostly the latter two, but still, it made me wonder--I'm sure it's been studied, so I will look).

eta: I'm remembering now a gargling study from early in the pandemic that found gargling did lower viral load in the throat (but obviously not in the lower respiratory tract), but that it also found it was just as effective to use plain tap water as special solutions.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think that's an oversimplification. :-) 

I have a multi-faceted approach, and I'm hopeful that as a comprehensive package, when I get COVID -- for I do expect to -- I'll be facing it with a stronger immune system and strategies in place to minimize the severity.

I use a neti pot with saline in it fairly regularly, as it keeps me from needing to take anti-histamines regularly, and from getting sinus infections, which I used to have once a year during the worst of cedar season. I don't use povidone iodine in it regularly, just when I have known exposure Or I'm feeling "sinusy".  

For people who have COVID, using povidone-iodine as a nasal spray (homemade, diluted in saline) or swabbing with a saturated swab of diluted PI, can cut down the viral load.  I've never seen anyone else write up using povidone-iodine in a neti pot (as opposed to a swab or nasal spray), but I'm very comfortable with it, so I do. 

Gargling does the same for the throat. I use an alcohol-free Crest mouthwash with the cetylpyridinium chloride when I have a known exposure or a sore throat; I use Jason cinnamon-tea tree mouthwash occasionally otherwise.  

I also use a couple of other nasal sprays regularly (most days), in rotation, because I feel more comfortable doing so after being around lots of people.  I am more comfortable doing those things than I am wearing a KN95 all day...I am concerned about bacteria and virus as well as mask particles from wearing masks long-term.  (ETA: trapped bacteria and viruses from my own breathing.)

I also have an air filter in my office, and that helps in general.  (I was in another office when I was exposed the last time...no filter there.)

Like I said originally: YMMV, and I wish everyone good health. 

Edited by Halftime Hope

5 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

I am more comfortable doing those things than I am wearing a KN95 all day...I am concerned about bacteria and virus

It’s good you have filtration running, but I’m curious why you would rather breathe the bacteria and virus if you are concerned about them than have them trapped on a mask before they get to your lungs. I understand you’re doing what you’re comfortable with and all that, and so far you’ve stayed healthy which is great, I’m just curious what exactly you’re concerned might happen if bacteria and virus were trapped on the mask rather than you breathing them in and then trying to rinse them out with nasal sprays and such.

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

It’s good you have filtration running, but I’m curious why you would rather breathe the bacteria and virus if you are concerned about them than have them trapped on a mask before they get to your lungs. I understand you’re doing what you’re comfortable with and all that, and so far you’ve stayed healthy which is great, I’m just curious what exactly you’re concerned might happen if bacteria and virus were trapped on the mask rather than you breathing them in and then trying to rinse them out with nasal sprays and such.

I just edited to explain that I'm talking about bacterial or viral growth from my own breathing, trapped in a hot, humid mask on my face all day. 

6 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

I just edited to explain that I'm talking about bacterial or viral growth from my own breathing, trapped in a hot, humid mask on my face all day. 

I don't understand  - they come from the hot, humid cavities of your OWN respiratory system where they certainly have better growth conditions than on the mask material

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

I think that's an oversimplification. 🙂

I have a multi-faceted approach, and I'm hopeful that as a comprehensive package, when I get COVID -- for I do expect to -- I'll be facing it with a stronger immune system and strategies in place to minimize the severity.

I use a neti pot with saline in it fairly regularly, as it keeps me from needing to take anti-histamines regularly, and from getting sinus infections, which I used to have once a year during the worst of cedar season. I don't use povidone iodine in it regularly, just when I have known exposure Or I'm feeling "sinusy".  

For people who have COVID, using povidone-iodine as a nasal spray (homemade, diluted in saline) or swabbing with a saturated swab of diluted PI, can cut down the viral load.  I've never seen anyone else write up using povidone-iodine in a neti pot (as opposed to a swab or nasal spray), but I'm very comfortable with it, so I do. 

Gargling does the same for the throat. I use an alcohol-free Crest mouthwash with the cetylpyridinium chloride when I have a known exposure or a sore throat; I use Jason cinnamon-tea tree mouthwash occasionally otherwise.  

I also use a couple of other nasal sprays regularly (most days), in rotation, because I feel more comfortable doing so after being around lots of people.  I am more comfortable doing those things than I am wearing a KN95 all day...I am concerned about bacteria and virus as well as mask particles from wearing masks long-term.  (ETA: trapped bacteria and viruses from my own breathing.)

I also have an air filter in my office, and that helps in general.  (I was in another office when I was exposed the last time...no filter there.)

Like I said originally: YMMV, and I wish everyone good health. 

How dare you rain on my easy out!

13 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

But they are not going to grow better in the mask than they do in your nose/mouth/throat...

Also, viruses cannot grow on a mask, period. They cannot grow outside living cells. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2022 at 4:58 AM, regentrude said:

I don't understand  - they come from the hot, humid cavities of your OWN respiratory system where they certainly have better growth conditions than on the mask material

Apologies for a late response. 

- We don't normally re-breathe air--whatever the percentage of air is that has been trapped inside the mask and not fully filtered out through it.  - We don't normally breathe in air that has been sucked through whatever fine mist of droplets or deposits are on the inside of masks.  Bacteria and fungus can replicate/grow in the droplets, and there is no reason to believe that virus isn't replicating in whatever cells are expelled in the mist or droplets breathed out. On the surface of the mask, these are in a nice safe, warm, humid "greenhouse". I am particularly concerned about fungal infection in the lungs; I suspect that masks can worsen whatever someone has going on. You asked, above, why it would matter: my body's defenses can't go out to the surface of the mask and stop whatever is replicating there before it comes back in off the mask. 

I have been an avid mask-wearer, but I am at the point where I think the consequences of wearing them constantly in low-risk COVID situations is more damaging than not-wearing them. I will happily wear a mask for large gatherings and places where there have been high volumes of people moving through an area, not because I think they are incredibly effective, but because I think will lessen the amount of exposure. 

One can find data to support whatever viewpoint one has on whether masks are effective at stopping transmission. I am happy to have others feel differently than I do; to each their own.