Menu

What to watch?

Excelsior! Academy

This is going to sound so weird but my 12-21 year olds most recently have been watching Columbo together!

They are all hanging around so I asked them and this is the list they came up with. A team, Food Truck Road race, Shakespeare and Hathaway, Leverage, Greatest American Hero (we ordered from the library) Night Rider, Expedition Unknown, Alaskan Bush People, Kid Cosmic, New Looney Tunes show, Gravity Falls.
They have also ordered Hallmark mystery movies and the Hallmark Signed Sealed Delivered movies.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, saraha said:

This is going to sound so weird but my 12-21 year olds most recently have been watching Columbo together!

They are all hanging around so I asked them and this is the list they came up with. A team, Food Truck Road race, Shakespeare and Hathaway, Leverage, Greatest American Hero (we ordered from the library) Night Rider, Expedition Unknown, Alaskan Bush People, Kid Cosmic, New Looney Tunes show, Gravity Falls.
They have also ordered Hallmark mystery movies and the Hallmark Signed Sealed Delivered movies.

Ah we love Colombo here even my 9 and 10 year olds.

• Like 1

We just watched "Goodbye Chidren" with two preteens on HBO Max as a family (got a one-month subscription for this - now watching a few other things to take advantage). Also truly excellent for teens and adults - but not light-hearted entertainment.

My college to tween year olds like a lot of the Marvel movies. Stranger Things is not ok for my tween and young teen—more for the horror aspects of the show. We aren’t especially restrictive people—Umbrella Academy, by contrast, is totally fine for us for our 13 yo.

Winx Saga, Is it Cake, Locke and Key, Avatar: Last Airbender and Madame President are all things I have seen them all watching together lately. 

5 hours ago, saraha said:

I loved the A-Team as a child!

5 hours ago, Terabith said:

Psych is pretty fun and was my oldest kid's first foray into non kid oriented television around age 10.  

They've watched some of the episodes.  I had quite forgotten about that series.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

I like to believe that 18, 16, and 11 year olds are not interchangeable widgets, but unique individuals. What sorts of things do they like to watch?

Agreed!  It's tough!  I'm trying to avoid everyone slinking off into their own rooms to play electronics all day. Not that a tv series isn't electronics, but at least we are all together, right?  The boys like all things Marvel and super hero.  The girl prefers Hallmark type movies and cartoons.  Today we watched the Minion movie and it was a hit among all.

• Like 2

The boys like all things Marvel and super hero.  The girl prefers Hallmark type movies and cartoons.

Hm. And you don't have Disney+, and you don't have HBO - which has a terrible interface, but ALSO has Teen Titans, which might work for all three kids.

That IS a toughie.

The younger kiddo actually is in that venn sweet spot, so I'll ask her for her opinions when she wakes up. Though she might just suggest *even more detective shows and procedurals* - she's been watching her way through NCIS, and I actually sold her on Grimm by saying "It's a procedural with magical people in a masquerade, but the writing is actually infuriatingly bad in parts, like, straight up copaganda garbage".

10 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Agreed!  It's tough!  I'm trying to avoid everyone slinking off into their own rooms to play electronics all day. Not that a tv series isn't electronics, but at least we are all together, right?  The boys like all things Marvel and super hero.  The girl prefers Hallmark type movies and cartoons.  Today we watched the Minion movie and it was a hit among all.

The greatest American hero might tick everyone’s boxes. It is so funny because it is so very campy and the FBI agent just ad libs like the whole show and we all just find it really good entertainment since it’s such a bad show you can’t take it seriously. The fact that the high school students are all played by 30 year olds led to some really good conversation!

I don’t know if this is still on Netflix but we watched a show put out by BYU called granite flats, it was really really good. Also, on you tube Studio C is also connected to BYU and is clean funny sketch comedy

If Psych isn’t on those channels I know I’ve watched some free eps on Peacock. 

And if you have AT&T ask about the HBO Max that you are entitled to. 

My teen doesn’t want to watch Teen Titans. Though he’s probably sat through a ton of the  eps while dd watched it in the past. So you never know. 

I recently trialed adding the Hallmark Movies now channel to Amazon Prime. We all watched and enjoyed the movie “Front of the Class”. And we tried one of the Aurora Teagarden mysteries …. It’s similar in genre to Diagnosis Murder from way back when.   The success of that movie reminded me of the series “Murdoch Mysteries” which can be seen on Amazon by adding/paying for a channel, Acorn TV I think. 

4 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

I believe we subscribed to HBO Max in order to watch The Middle. Psych is on Prime. 

Oh cool. I watched it on another streaming channel when it was still “new.” And I’ve seen Psych (certain seasons are free) on Peacock. I think we also owned some of the dvds of Psych. These shows could appeal to both my parents and us: Psych, The Middle, and Young Sheldon.

YS earlier seasons are on HBO Max. Newer ones are on Paramount+ and season 6 will air in Sept but not sure it will be available for streaming.