Menu

We got a smoker!

ktgrok

Well, a pellet grill technically. It was for DH for Father’s Day but I get to play with it too. We did a pork butt that reminded us we can only eat so much pork, lol. Too fatty.

have done boneless skinless chicken thighs that are a big hit- easy to put on a salad or add to veggies or a sandwich.

corn on the cob was very yummy.
What yummy thing should we do next? 

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Well, a pellet grill technically. It was for DH for Father’s Day but I get to play with it too. We did a pork butt that reminded us we can only eat so much pork, lol. Too fatty.

have done boneless skinless chicken thighs that are a big hit- easy to put on a salad or add to veggies or a sandwich.

corn on the cob was very yummy.
What yummy thing should we do next? 

My new favorite thing is smoked cream cheese.  Oh my word.  

• Like 1

Fun! We have one too (a Green Mountain Grill) and just did a smoked tri-tip last night. My husband will do brisket occasionally. Smoked hamburgers were good but we missed the char, so he’ll sear them on the regular grill for a bit too. My dad buys whole chickens and makes an amazing smoked chicken. Baked potatoes are good smoked as well. 

The hardest thing to learn about smoking is that it is really low temps and long times.  After about 10 years of smoking, I finally understand that when a brisket recipes calls for 16-18 hours at 225, it is not 8 hrs at 300.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Whole packer brisket is my favorite thing to come out of the smoker. 

A local restaurant does this smoked potato salad. I want to try that. 

Smoked hamburger embedded with cheese also yummy. For thanksgiving you could do your turkey in the smoker, although there is a learning curve with this, but it frees up the oven (my husband has notes on how to do this it was 3 years in the making for the best turkey we've ever had).

We've done steak in the smoker also yummy but I prefer the sous vide steak. 

Yum, that's exciting.  I wasn't sure I was on board when we purchased one but I'm so glad we did.  We do a lot of smoking on our pellet grill.  My husband is preparing a rack of ribs to put on right now *yum*.

Some of my favorite things in addition to ribs: 

Spatchcock chicken,   Brisket,   jalapeno poppers,  bone in pork chops 

Turkey breast and roast beef aren't things that I jump for joy about, but we season 'em up and smoke and slice as cold cuts for sandwiches and it is very good.

My very favorite thing to grill (not smoke) on the pellet grill is boneless skinless chicken breasts.  I marinate with the following, blended in the blender: 

1 can chipotles in adobo (I like the small can of Embasa brand)

1 whole sweet onion (might sound weird, but it caramelizes on the outside of the chicken during grilling and is amazing)

couple cloves of garlic

lemon and lime juice (sorry, I don't have a measure because I eyeball it)

salt

cumin

This will be enough marinade for 4-6 pounds of chicken.  We usually make a big batch to have leftovers for the freezer and use it on bowls, salads, in quesadillas, etc.  

I have a hard time getting a good flank steak but it's so good grilled on the pellet grill for fajitas or with homemade chimichurri 

On 7/8/2022 at 10:21 AM, YaelAldrich said:

I thought, "Ew.  One of your family members decided to start smoking.  Yuck!"

🙃

Same, and I *still* think it whenever I see the thread title. 

And, hey, you're a mod! Congrats! 🙂 

[Oops. I stand corrected.]

Edited by MercyA
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Um, where did this come from? It's that a mod badge? If so, where did I get it from because I don't THINK I'm a moderator?! I'm not the moderating type. Lol

8 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Are you a social group owner?

Oops and thanks. 

Just got back from a trip and I am even more out of it than usual. 🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1