Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~June 2022 Frugalistas~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

I've been terrible at couponing. I just get so cynical about if my products will even have a coupon and I feel impatient/rushed. ibotta is linked to my cc so when I swipe, it is like I'm submitting it to ibotta even though I forgot to clip coupons. I'm not sure if I can retroactively clip the coupons and then rescan the receipt... but half the time I use walmart pay so then I have no physical receipt and there are mixed reviews on if you can print it off the computer and photograph it. I have tried in the past and if I recall correctly, it's just a huge pain to format it so it doesn't fill the width of the 8.5x11 page or cut off and take up two pages for a longer receipt. 

Sometimes when I go into the store I take photos of the shelf tag because the price at check out doesn't match... but this is ridiculous and time consuming for a whole shopping cart. So I don't do it for every item. I did save $1 on cat clippers this way (the lower price on tag didn't match the price on walmart's app so I showed the cashier and she overrode it. If the app is lower, you're probably out of luck. But with the shelf tag being lower, they should honor it).

The family I babysit for is moving out of state this summer so I hope any money I get from the next few jobs will help cover my moving costs. I plan to move to another rental this summer. It's in the middle of repairs. My current place is going up in rent in August and the landlord blows me off on repairs. I'm guessing I'll have to pay for activating new utilities plus security deposit. Don't know if I'll have to get a moving truck or if I can just do trips with the car and get help from someone with a truck. 

I paused my individual therapy to save money while I finish my group therapy course (it has like a month left). 

I've never received a dime from Receipt Hog. I don't know how the heck that app is supposed to help. Plus, when I logged back in it had reset me to zero coins. I once linked my email to my Fetch account. You just have to remember to tell Fetch to "search for receipts" and I get points for my Sam's club e-receipts and my Amazon orders. I forget about some of them because they are subscribe and save items (like cat litter). 

TL;DR

I'm not doing so great, but I'm hoping things will look up soon. I'm actively seeking a second job but it's been really challenging with my availability. I don't know how co-parents can do that. You have wacky availability. 

• Like 4

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I've been terrible at couponing. I just get so cynical about if my products will even have a coupon and I feel impatient/rushed. ibotta is linked to my cc so when I swipe, it is like I'm submitting it to ibotta even though I forgot to clip coupons. I'm not sure if I can retroactively clip the coupons and then rescan the receipt... but half the time I use walmart pay so then I have no physical receipt and there are mixed reviews on if you can print it off the computer and photograph it. I have tried in the past and if I recall correctly, it's just a huge pain to format it so it doesn't fill the width of the 8.5x11 page or cut off and take up two pages for a longer receipt. 

Sometimes when I go into the store I take photos of the shelf tag because the price at check out doesn't match... but this is ridiculous and time consuming for a whole shopping cart. So I don't do it for every item. I did save $1 on cat clippers this way (the lower price on tag didn't match the price on walmart's app so I showed the cashier and she overrode it. If the app is lower, you're probably out of luck. But with the shelf tag being lower, they should honor it).

The family I babysit for is moving out of state this summer so I hope any money I get from the next few jobs will help cover my moving costs. I plan to move to another rental this summer. It's in the middle of repairs. My current place is going up in rent in August and the landlord blows me off on repairs. I'm guessing I'll have to pay for activating new utilities plus security deposit. Don't know if I'll have to get a moving truck or if I can just do trips with the car and get help from someone with a truck. 

I paused my individual therapy to save money while I finish my group therapy course (it has like a month left). 

I've never received a dime from Receipt Hog. I don't know how the heck that app is supposed to help. Plus, when I logged back in it had reset me to zero coins. I once linked my email to my Fetch account. You just have to remember to tell Fetch to "search for receipts" and I get points for my Sam's club e-receipts and my Amazon orders. I forget about some of them because they are subscribe and save items (like cat litter). 

TL;DR

I'm not doing so great, but I'm hoping things will look up soon. I'm actively seeking a second job but it's been really challenging with my availability. I don't know how co-parents can do that. You have wacky availability. 

Can you do something from home?  Maybe that would fit your availability. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Can you do something from home?  Maybe that would fit your availability. 

I'm trying really hard. I have a meeting with someone from an ESL company this weekend. But they haven't made it crystal clear yet how many hours I'd have to dedicate and which hours. We're just going to talk, it's not exactly an interview. My fear is I'd have to commit to like 7am classes (I have work at 8am). But she agreed to go over all the requirements. It's not an ESL company I've ever researched before (in the past I attempted VIPKID and Magic Ears). Usually the ESL jobs don't pay much and have awful hours, but this one had a better base pay. 

I apply to misc jobs on Indeed all the time but just so far no luck. I went to a meeting this week but this place wanted me to do house visits 5x a week to sell these expensive air purifier things. You get some income just for going and a flat rate for the gas per week, but I did the math and I have the kids more often in summer so there's no way it would work. I declined to attend their follow-up training. 

• Like 2

Ours bounced up to $4.49 overnight, from 4.25. 

Found some markdowns at the grocery: cat litter at 50% off and some fancy sparkling water for $1 a bottle. The empty bottles sell for $1 a piece on eBay, so (mostly) free fancy sparkling water for me! 

I found a few things to flip at Goodwill: some cute Ikea mugs, pink pressed glass tumblers, a Marc Jacobs backpack, and a tiny Waterford crystal desk clock. I may keep the clock because it's pretty, but I don't know yet. 

Sold another lamp chain for $10, and my old Corelle cookware for $18. I have a buyer lined up to buy some dollhouse stuff for $90. That was a nice find; I only paid $3.50 for the dollhouse gear. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Ours bounced up to $4.49 overnight, from 4.25. 

Found some markdowns at the grocery: cat litter at 50% off and some fancy sparkling water for $1 a bottle. The empty bottles sell for $1 a piece on eBay, so (mostly) free fancy sparkling water for me! 

I found a few things to flip at Goodwill: some cute Ikea mugs, pink pressed glass tumblers, a Marc Jacobs backpack, and a tiny Waterford crystal desk clock. I may keep the clock because it's pretty, but I don't know yet. 

Sold another lamp chain for $10, and my old Corelle cookware for $18. I have a buyer lined up to buy some dollhouse stuff for $90. That was a nice find; I only paid $3.50 for the dollhouse gear. 

$90?! Must be American Girl or a huge lot? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I'm trying really hard. I have a meeting with someone from an ESL company this weekend. But they haven't made it crystal clear yet how many hours I'd have to dedicate and which hours. We're just going to talk, it's not exactly an interview. My fear is I'd have to commit to like 7am classes (I have work at 8am). But she agreed to go over all the requirements. It's not an ESL company I've ever researched before (in the past I attempted VIPKID and Magic Ears). Usually the ESL jobs don't pay much and have awful hours, but this one had a better base pay. 

I apply to misc jobs on Indeed all the time but just so far no luck. I went to a meeting this week but this place wanted me to do house visits 5x a week to sell these expensive air purifier things. You get some income just for going and a flat rate for the gas per week, but I did the math and I have the kids more often in summer so there's no way it would work. I declined to attend their follow-up training. 

A few people that I see on Youtube that post job postings if you were interested.

Beautiful Life Interrupted - YouTube

Melecia At Home - YouTube

Delilah Bell - YouTube

• Thanks 1

@Brittany1116 I got a high mileage synthetic oil change recently and due to a screw up last time I was gifted a 50% off coupon through customer service. The full price was like $100! I was anticipating the full price being like $70 and paying like $35. It’s brutal. Then they were out of coolant so I had to stop by another day after the water they used in place of coolant had gone down. Luckily I timed it near perfectly when I returned. 

Regarding ️ I try to get gas at Sam’s but it’s a madhouse. There’s almost always a line, some pumps are either out of order or very slow to pump. One time I waited for a few cars then the pump was so slow I gave up around $8! I’ve gone to Costco but it’s a little bit out of my way and our membership there expires soon. The pump was also less user friendly to keep engaged. 

I am not very good at flipping items as I don’t think mailing is something I want to deal with or think buyers would necessarily want to pay. The last flip I did was I took a clearanced gaming item to a gaming store (third one was a charm lol. It was a Nintendo 360 item no one wanted) and they said we’ll give you a few dollars or 50% off an item. I bought a Nintendo coffee mug with the second option. My profit margins are too small for the hassle lol 

Checking in as we’ve been a bit spendy and I need to be more mindful. We refinanced so mortgage repayments will be slightly lower hopefully for however long it is till interest rates go up.

Fuel this week was $100. I had a lot of tutor kids off sick so take home pay was $270. I also needed up with a migraine so we did takeaway one night (which we never do). The fridge is freezing everything again so I haven’t put the last lot of veg in there. Hoping it keeps long enough as it’s really cold here. Bought quail food ($30) but that should last 6 months. We will need more chicken food soon. 

There seems to be more transcription work around right now. It takes a while to get paid and the pay rate isn’t great but it will be something coming in that will help.

• Like 3

Shipping is the least fun part of eBay, but if you have good stuff, people don't care about the shipping cost. If your items are kind of average "I can get similar at Target for not much extra" type stuff, then buyers will heckle about shipping costs. So, I try to stay away from "commodity goods".  I also don't use the "auction" function on eBay. I research sold prices and price my items based on past sales, with a "or best offer" option. 

Like dollhouse materials sell well because hobby shops basically no longer exist. If you wanted to build your own dollhouse from wood, with realistic details, good luck finding a shop. You can get some things at Hobby Lobby or off Amazon, but that's it, unless you try eBay or Etsy.

There are a few people that make custom dollhouse furniture and rugs that sell on etsy and eBay. I want to try my hand at that soon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

@Brittany1116 I got a high mileage synthetic oil change recently and due to a screw up last time I was gifted a 50% off coupon through customer service. The full price was like $100! I was anticipating the full price being like $70 and paying like $35. It’s brutal. Then they were out of coolant so I had to stop by another day after the water they used in place of coolant had gone down. Luckily I timed it near perfectly when I returned. 

Regarding ️ I try to get gas at Sam’s but it’s a madhouse. There’s almost always a line, some pumps are either out of order or very slow to pump. One time I waited for a few cars then the pump was so slow I gave up around $8! I’ve gone to Costco but it’s a little bit out of my way and our membership there expires soon. The pump was also less user friendly to keep engaged. 

I am not very good at flipping items as I don’t think mailing is something I want to deal with or think buyers would necessarily want to pay. The last flip I did was I took a clearanced gaming item to a gaming store (third one was a charm lol. It was a Nintendo 360 item no one wanted) and they said we’ll give you a few dollars or 50% off an item. I bought a Nintendo coffee mug with the second option. My profit margins are too small for the hassle lol 

I just got this car and we haven't had it changed yet so I had no idea. The local place does it for $61. I'd have a hard time with $100!

45 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

If that happens, do they have to give it to you at the tagged price anyway? Assuming you notice.

Walmart here has all self-check lanes now. So there are only like 2 workers watching for help call lights. I did call for help and price override today because one item was clearly marked down to $3 but rang up almost $7. I didn't quibble over the ones that were off by a dime because the place was already nuts. 

• Like 4

It took nearly 40 minutes, but I finally figured out how to get eBay labels to charge to my credit card rather than charge to paypal, which pulls from my bank account. I'm trying to put everything on to one card for the cashback bonus.  It was not an intuitive process and I doubt I could explain how to do it to anyone else. But it's done.

I think. 

I decided that I am done fiddling around with Swagbucks, Ibotta, etc. The only time I feel tempted to eat processed food is after I've looked through ibotta. I think I save more when I avoid those apps, so I deleted them off my phone.  I'll stick with the coupons available in the HEB app to keep it simple. 

Speaking of HEB, they just sent me a coupon for a free donut, lol. I have to go that way tomorrow anyway, so I'll grab a donut for DS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I did the meeting with the ESL group. It’s actually a private organization. VIPKID etc all shut down due to new laws or such. I had forgotten that. They mainly want weekdays and say the average student would want class 2x a week. So I’d suck it up twice a week (possibly 3x) to teach early. I told them I’m still interested and will see what’s next. The biggest letdown is they pay with PayPal and there are fees taken on both ends! So I don’t know how much money I’d actually collect. They pay an international fee, then PayPal docks me a fee. I googled and it said the international fee varies based on them using a card or PayPal balance. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

I just got this car and we haven't had it changed yet so I had no idea. The local place does it for $61. I'd have a hard time with $100!

Walmart here has all self-check lanes now. So there are only like 2 workers watching for help call lights. I did call for help and price override today because one item was clearly marked down to $3 but rang up almost $7. I didn't quibble over the ones that were off by a dime because the place was already nuts. 

I may need to call around and try to get a lower rate elsewhere. I got mine done at Valvoline. I had some car repairs done at a local family owned place and maybe I can inquire about oil changes there. 

I mostly use self checkout and I've had mixed feedback about whether or not they can adjust the prices for me. One time they insisted that only a manager could do it? Other times they are dismissive and say whatever it rings up is the price. They don't understand the concept of honoring a tag. Ugh. I splurged and got the expensive Ezekiel bread. The tag said $5.35 but it rang up $6.18. I hadn't thought to ask for a blind override without evidence and just paid for it. I have contacted the company for coupons (they usually mail a small stack of coupons where it's like .50 off each item). Every bit helps I guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I may need to call around and try to get a lower rate elsewhere. I got mine done at Valvoline. I had some car repairs done at a local family owned place and maybe I can inquire about oil changes there. 

I mostly use self checkout and I've had mixed feedback about whether or not they can adjust the prices for me. One time they insisted that only a manager could do it? Other times they are dismissive and say whatever it rings up is the price. They don't understand the concept of honoring a tag. Ugh. I splurged and got the expensive Ezekiel bread. The tag said $5.35 but it rang up $6.18. I hadn't thought to ask for a blind override without evidence and just paid for it. I have contacted the company for coupons (they usually mail a small stack of coupons where it's like .50 off each item). Every bit helps I guess. 

I need to start emailing companies for coupons. I have been meaning to do that for years.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, mommyoffive said:

5 pairs of pointe shoes for oldest at $120 each for ballet intensives.  Plus pads, ribbons, spacers......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

All the last of the dance stuff needed was bought in the last week

I feel your pain.  DS has skills at the end of the month and just realized his skates don't fit.  $250-350 a pair, plus the hour drive to buy them and have them fitted/baked to his feet.  He's currently eating his way through the house, too, so a growth spurt is happening whether we like it or not.  That means EVERYTHING on his body will need to be replaced by September, outside of the two adjustable pieces he wears.

Here's hoping we can find stop-gaps the next time we go to the secondhand store.  We just need to get through July.  It's a bit early in the season for a good selection but all the kids who are serious will be going through their gear right now, prepping for summer.

This is a pretty frugal weekend, though, when we ignore that revelation.  Ds and I spent yesterday volunteering for the cub scouts and brought lunches, plus were given a free lunch (ds ate both).  Today we are volunteering at the national cemetery, removing flags and memorial day decorations. I'll pack lunches again and we'll eat after we're done. 

A bonus:
Ds showed he was willing to eat a sandwich yesterday - the child spent too many of his formative years in Europe and came back appalled at what Americans call bread.  He wouldn't touch it for the longest time. Lunches have always been meals for him, or when he's pressed for time, more like a charcuterie board. Now that he's growing and hungrier he's more willing to try cheaper/easier lunch options.  I may even be able to get him to eat peanut butter if I can add some of my fake-Nutella to it.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 8:49 AM, heartlikealion said:

I did the meeting with the ESL group. It’s actually a private organization. VIPKID etc all shut down due to new laws or such. I had forgotten that. They mainly want weekdays and say the average student would want class 2x a week. So I’d suck it up twice a week (possibly 3x) to teach early. I told them I’m still interested and will see what’s next. The biggest letdown is they pay with PayPal and there are fees taken on both ends! So I don’t know how much money I’d actually collect. They pay an international fee, then PayPal docks me a fee. I googled and it said the international fee varies based on them using a card or PayPal balance. 

And then on top of the fees, if you're not an employee of the company, you'll need to factor in self-employment taxes instead of the normal income taxes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Working on and off in the kitchen this morning. Trying to keep the food bill down. Sliced and flash froze some half-dead bananas this morning for smoothies. Going to go make some granola now and throw some eggs in the Instant Pot for hardboiled eggs for snacks this week. 

Gas jumped again yesterday. I found $4.97, but saw all the way up to $5.45. 

DD went back into the hospital. Don't really know what to do about that at the moment. 

DH bought youngest DD some exercise shorts this morning at Walmart since she's using the free Planet Fitness program this summer.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

Working on and off in the kitchen this morning. Trying to keep the food bill down. Sliced and flash froze some half-dead bananas this morning for smoothies. Going to go make some granola now and throw some eggs in the Instant Pot for hardboiled eggs for snacks this week. 

DD went back into the hospital. Don't really know what to do about that at the moment. 

DH bought youngest DD some exercise shorts this morning at Walmart since she's using the free Planet Fitness program this summer.

OMG, these gas jumps are insane.   It just can't keep jumping every single day.

I am so sorry about your dd.  I hope she is ok.  Sending some good thoughts her way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

I’m sorry she is back at the hospital 

• Like 3

@HomeAgain The expense of skate gear oh my. 😞 

@historically accurate whoo free program. That sounds good. Sorry to hear about your dd 

@QueenCat exactly. My sister and I were discussing it last night. I got vague answers from the company what the fees subtracted would be and the commitment could be 3 months or 6. I said I think I’d need them to confirm the exact fees — perhaps they could ask another American employee? I would ask myself online but there’s no company name? I think there are 3 fees total before taxes. A fee to send money, a fee for money conversion, fee on my end to receive it. One of the fees can range from .99 to 4.99 USD. It’s starting to sound worse and worse. I said probably a 1099 tax form and he said maybe another one with a C? 

On a happier note, I’ve been loosely planning to move to a new rental and went to see the progress today (this place is undergoing updates and repairs). I should be able to move in July and my current landlord is raising rent in August. I asked the new landlords if they confirmed their rental price and they did; it’s what I currently pay. So I feel good about the move. It’s not closer to my job but it’s closer to the kids’ school and a few other things. I don’t go in the office that often, anyway. My current home doesn’t have central air/heat and landlord ignores things that need addressed. New landlords are related to church parishioners I know and will be way more attentive. 

Aside from the drive, dd and I had a fairly inexpensive outing to a public pool yesterday. We spent $20 ($8 day passes + $4 in concession stand snow cones). On the way home she ate food I packed but because they were out of hot dogs at pool I got take out on way home for myself. I had originally planned to buy myself a hot dog instead of snow cone and that’s why I didn’t pack more car food. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

@HomeAgain The expense of skate gear oh my. 😞 

@historically accurate whoo free program. That sounds good. Sorry to hear about your dd 

@QueenCat exactly. My sister and I were discussing it last night. I got vague answers from the company what the fees subtracted would be and the commitment could be 3 months or 6. I said I think I’d need them to confirm the exact fees — perhaps they could ask another American employee? I would ask myself online but there’s no company name? I think there are 3 fees total before taxes. A fee to send money, a fee for money conversion, fee on my end to receive it. One of the fees can range from .99 to 4.99 USD. It’s starting to sound worse and worse. I said probably a 1099 tax form and he said maybe another one with a C? 

On a happier note, I’ve been loosely planning to move to a new rental and went to see the progress today (this place is undergoing updates and repairs). I should be able to move in July and my current landlord is raising rent in August. I asked the new landlords if they confirmed their rental price and they did; it’s what I currently pay. So I feel good about the move. It’s not closer to my job but it’s closer to the kids’ school and a few other things. I don’t go in the office that often, anyway. My current home doesn’t have central air/heat and landlord ignores things that need addressed. New landlords are related to church parishioners I know and will be way more attentive. 

Aside from the drive, dd and I had a fairly inexpensive outing to a public pool yesterday. We spent $20 ($8 day passes + $4 in concession stand snow cones). On the way home she ate food I packed but because they were out of hot dogs at pool I got take out on way home for myself. I had originally planned to buy myself a hot dog instead of snow cone and that’s why I didn’t pack more car food. 

Can anyone chime in if you have experience with working for online companies? Is this how it is normally done?   I am curious.  Like did Vipkid do this?

14 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Can anyone chime in if you have experience with working for online companies? Is this how it is normally done?   I am curious.  Like did Vipkid do this?

@heartlikealion - they may have meant Schedule C, which is the part of the 1040 you fill out if you receive a 1099 (self-employment). I only ever worked for VIPKid and that was minimal at best, so I'm not really up on the fee system. However, $4.99 per fee could really, really eat into your profit. For that matter, 99 cents could if it's taken out 3 times and then you have to pay self-employment tax on top of it. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but that doesn't mean it isn't right for you. It's really sketchy that they can't give you a commitment time. But if you are self-employed, you shouldn't have to teach a class at all - you should be able to decide when and even if you work. It got at the end of VIPKid, I only opened slots if they paid me an incentive to do so. 

• Like 2

Just now, historically accurate said:

@heartlikealion - they may have meant Schedule C, which is the part of the 1040 you fill out if you receive a 1099 (self-employment). I only ever worked for VIPKid and that was minimal at best, so I'm not really up on the fee system. However, $4.99 per fee could really, really eat into your profit. For that matter, 99 cents could if it's taken out 3 times and then you have to pay self-employment tax on top of it. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but that doesn't mean it isn't right for you. It's really sketchy that they can't give you a commitment time. But if you are self-employed, you shouldn't have to teach a class at all - you should be able to decide when and even if you work. It got at the end of VIPKid, I only opened slots if they paid me an incentive to do so. 

They just said basically the kids that lost their tutors (VIPKID etc) are seeking them and he has to pair families with private tutors. It’s a one-on-one model and you will see the same student consecutively. I suppose you could see mult. students but that’s if you open more slots and another family chooses you. I think I will probably not pursue it as the fees could really eat into profit as you said. I was all excited at first because their base pay is $22. The most I was offered at VIPKID was $14/hr and I think similar at Magic Ears. My ME interview demo was so stressful. They preach about a good connection but the guy lost his lol I didn’t know what was going on so I kept teaching to no one til my timer ended lol! I figured it was still recording so I pretended a kid was in there with me. But it was just mental gymnastics and they wanted you to teach like 3-4 kids at once. For various reasons I gave up. 

• Like 1

Spent some $ yesterday on lunch (ds, dh, & I went to huddle house, so could've been worse.  It was a nice lunch date for the 3 of us who never get a chance to do that anymore); plants (got 5 more things to plant for the back yard.  We're getting quite a bit done back there since we spend the majority of our time there.   I think it's worth it just because of that, but it's still hard to spend the $, lol.); and dh's beer.   
We were thinking about getting pizza today, but instead dh grilled some chicken we had and I threw together a rice salad type thing with some of our CSA veggies.  It was delish and better than pizza.   
I bought a collar off Amazon for the foster dog for $7.  It should be here tomorrow and we can start on learning to walk on a leash.   Lord, help me, that's going to be a nightmare.  
Yesterday, our gas was $4.14.  Idk what it is today.   

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Spent some $ yesterday on lunch (ds, dh, & I went to huddle house, so could've been worse.  It was a nice lunch date for the 3 of us who never get a chance to do that anymore); plants (got 5 more things to plant for the back yard.  We're getting quite a bit done back there since we spend the majority of our time there.   I think it's worth it just because of that, but it's still hard to spend the $, lol.); and dh's beer.   
We were thinking about getting pizza today, but instead dh grilled some chicken we had and I threw together a rice salad type thing with some of our CSA veggies.  It was delish and better than pizza.   
I bought a collar off Amazon for the foster dog for $7.  It should be here tomorrow and we can start on learning to walk on a leash.   Lord, help me, that's going to be a nightmare.  
Yesterday, our gas was $4.14.  Idk what it is today.   

Harness might be easier? 
the dinner sounds better than pizza to me, too 

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

Harness might be easier? 
the dinner sounds better than pizza to me, too 

He's got a harness, but I think it's freaking him out because it feels like someone is trying to pick him up.   Idk.   I'm going to work on both and see what we come up with...  

• Sad 1

Weekend spending.

Gas.

Grocery pickup.  With items for the kids going away.  had some gift cards to apply

Vitamins  applied some gift cards

Signed up kids for mountain bike team.

Bought one kid a new mountain bike and it is really upgraded from the one they used to have.

• Like 2

If anyone is looking for deals to Europe.  SAS airlines is has been running a crazy deal on Premium Economy.  I know it is out of O'hare, you would have to check other airports.  It is for end of August until March.  For all different places in Europe.  Paris, Rome, Venice.........    These prices are in the 500s or 600s.  We have flown this class on SAS before and it is worth it for the extra space and nicer seat.  Just passing it on.  We already booked a bunch of tickets. 

• Like 2

The plumber is here today doing round 2 of the non-urgent but important stuff: fixed our leaking outdoor faucet (leaked only when on), replaced my broken kitchen faucet, and is now fixing a leaking shower (started leaking a few weeks ago) and some cracked drain pop ups. These are all things Dh could do but he has been so short on time they just haven’t happened. I gave it some time to see if we could get around to it but we’ve been slammed…so now it’s getting done.

I signed a roof contract last night (prices are double what we paid in TX 4 years ago for a similarly sized house, fwiw), and I hope to sign a solar one this week also.

After this we need to re-plumb the house, but we need to save about $20k for that one so it will be a couple of years. The house was built with c-pex pipe. 😞 

• Sad 3

Hey yall! I hope you don't mind me joining in. 

We are currently maintaining two households and it is $$$$. I'm cutting back our spending starting today. We're only here in AZ until end of July and then we're all moving back to Vegas with D. I'll go back to work part time and we'll continue trying to make ends meet there. 

Luckily, we have lots of free/cheap resources here. Free activities for kids, cheaper food options, free lunch for kids. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, desertstrawberry5 said:

Hey yall! I hope you don't mind me joining in. 

We are currently maintaining two households and it is $$$$. I'm cutting back our spending starting today. We're only here in AZ until end of July and then we're all moving back to Vegas with D. I'll go back to work part time and we'll continue trying to make ends meet there. 

Luckily, we have lots of free/cheap resources here. Free activities for kids, cheaper food options, free lunch for kids. 

Yay welcome!

Sounds like things will be so much cheaper in July!  That is something to look forward to and focus on.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The plumber is here today doing round 2 of the non-urgent but important stuff: fixed our leaking outdoor faucet (leaked only when on), replaced my broken kitchen faucet, and is now fixing a leaking shower (started leaking a few weeks ago) and some cracked drain pop ups. These are all things Dh could do but he has been so short on time they just haven’t happened. I gave it some time to see if we could get around to it but we’ve been slammed…so now it’s getting done.

I signed a roof contract last night (prices are double what we paid in TX 4 years ago for a similarly sized house, fwiw), and I hope to sign a solar one this week also.

After this we need to re-plumb the house, but we need to save about $20k for that one so it will be a couple of years. The house was built with c-pex pipe. 😞 

Are you getting solar panels? I’d research the EMF stuff before committing. 

7 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Are you getting solar panels? I’d research the EMF stuff before committing. 

The panels themselves don’t emit, there are very low emissions from the grid metering panel, which is exterior and not near a bedroom. The emissions lower or as low as anything else that I use—cell phone, WiFi router, etc. 

ETA: also, as the parent of a kid who died from brain cancer, I will add that there is no credible research that shows that low level emissions cause brain cancer. I am cautious about a lot of stuff, and don’t sleep with a cellphone by my head just in case this is someday proven wrong, but a lot of well done studies have been done and they haven’t shown a correlation or causation.

Edited by prairiewindmomma

The shower thing is blowing up in expense. The various plumbing suppliers are out of a lot of supplies and because we can’t find one $60 piece we have to replace lots. I had hoped we were past the worst of the backlog, but it seems to be compounding. We are still having issues with other supplies for house stuff also in our area….the irony of not being able to get lumber while living next to huge forests and sawmills. 🤦

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The panels themselves don’t emit, there are very low emissions from the grid metering panel, which is exterior and not near a bedroom. The emissions lower or as low as anything else that I use—cell phone, WiFi router, etc. 

ETA: also, as the parent of a kid who died from brain cancer, I will add that there is no credible research that shows that low level emissions cause brain cancer. I am cautious about a lot of stuff, and don’t sleep with a cellphone by my head just in case this is someday proven wrong, but a lot of well done studies have been done and they haven’t shown a correlation or causation.

Ok. Reason I asked is because my dad measures dirty electricity with a device and claims his neighbors solar panel emit a ton. If you Google dirty electricity + solar panels it may bring up different results than EMF? I get confused. 

So sorry about your child. 

• 2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay welcome!

Sounds like things will be so much cheaper in July!  That is something to look forward to and focus on.

I hope so. I'm trying not to invest too much in running this house, as we're all moving and it will just be standing empty for at least 6 months. It needs to be fully replumbed and refloored before we can move back in or rent it out. But it feels like every day there are more things we need here. 

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Welcome back to the boards! I feel like it’s been forever since I have “seen” you!!

Hey—how did solar end up working out for you, @desertstrawberry5? Are you glad you did it?

I am SO glad we did it. It took 18 months, and we will be paying it off for a few more years-our only debt- but we easily save $100 a month and we can use as much AC as we like. A huge bonus here. 

The house we're renting in NV is larger, vaulted ceilings, gas fire place, not wood, no solar. The utilities are nightmarish. 

Edited by desertstrawberry5
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Ok. Reason I asked is because my dad measures dirty electricity with a device and claims his neighbors solar panel emit a ton. If you Google dirty electricity + solar panels it may bring up different results than EMF? I get confused. 

So sorry about your child. 

Usually when people talk about dirty energy in this context they are talking about oscillations in the energy being generated and transmitted.  The solar panels themselves generate clean energy, it could become "dirty" when it passes through the inverters that will go on my roof and moves from DC to AC current, but only in the sense that any electrical energy is considered dirty.

Like I said, I use a cell phone and a microwave and WIFI, so I'm not one who is ultra sensitive to EMF fields. 😉

• Haha 1

Well, it's June 7th.

We have yet to turn the AC on this year.  We've had a few warmer days but so far have avoided the need by spending a lot of time outdoors so the inside felt cooler when we came in.  It also means less tv watching, and the game systems aren't heating up the house.

We've cancelled our meal subscription for the summer.  One more box will arrive this week, but it gets a little iffy to try to do it when traffic gets bad.  Plus, we'll be doing more going to the farmer's market and "snack eating", which is what happens when ds is granted a later bedtime so he can run around until dark and only comes in to grab a handful of food.  After two years of a pandemic the neighborhood is alive with kids running back and forth all day, and I'm really glad for it.  It looks like something out of our childhood: lots of swimming, bike riding, camping in backyards, and fire pits. I make a pitcher of lemonade and one of tea every other day so they can come in and grab something.  I don't know if we'll actually save money on food but we have a mission to eat up the fridge and freezer before we go on our own vacations.

We were going to go to the art museum this Friday ($5 tickets through our library), but the cost of gas is becoming downright wicked, and driving for an hour isn't appealing at the moment.  We'll hold off on that.

• Like 3

I went grocery shopping yesterday and honestly, it’s got me worried.  How much longer can this trend continue before most of the population is in truly dire straits?  A month ago the cheapest bread at the bakery outlet store was 4 loaves for 5 dollars, up from 5 loaves for 4 dollars pre-pandemic.  Now it’s at 2 loaves for 3 dollars.  (This is the stuff you take home and either use right away or freeze, because it’s approaching the expiration date.)   The cheapest price for milk around is $3.19, when it generally ran about $1.89 a few years ago.  A large bag of flour has gone from $18 to $29.  When the most basic food staples increase this much, how long can people keep absorbing the hit?  

• Sad 2

Picked up a shift at one of the libraries. I should get a tiny bonus and a raise next month at my new job (their fiscal year is July-June, so they do those in July). Since I'm the accountant, I see the salary budget early, and I'm slated for a 3% raise. 

DD is still hospitalized, but doing better. Trying to figure out how we're going to work out her return to home. Have not yet received the bills from first hospitalization.

There is going to be free summer meals for the kids, but I haven't been able to find the pickup times available online. I have to make some calls this afternoon, so I'm going to put them on the list to call for information.

Gas is holding steady at $4,97-$5.45, which is good I guess since we're driving 40 minutes to the hospital every day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2