Menu

Australians - my seat is looking Green!

9 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don’t understand the Aussie party distinctions. Is there a site that gives the highlights?  

We tossed out a climate denying, right wing Pentecostal. 

We elected a centrist government, who will need to work with Greens (left) and independents ( pro climate, anti corruption) to pass legislation. 

It is good news for movement on climate change, and our growing problems with corruption.  Also good news for Indigenous representation. 

Unfortunately, to get elected Labor  (centre) drew back on housing and poverty policy in order not to frighten the horses, so personally, this is not great news for me on my top issues. But it is good news.

The right wing party (Liberal - used to be conservative but all the moderates left ) has been in power for a decade and will now have to rebuild. They lost their heartland seats due to anti LBGT, climate and corruption failures. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Wow, who would have thought that my traditionally safe Liberal seat (Non-Australians, our Liberal here is middle-right wing) could go to the Greens.

What an exciting morning it's been. I instituted a household media blackout last night, and woke up to such fabulous news. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don’t understand the Aussie party distinctions. Is there a site that gives the highlights?  

I wish there was a simple graphic, but I can't easily find one.

If we had a spectrum from left wing to right wing, we'd have our two major parties in the middle-ish, with Labor left-leaning and Liberals right-leaning.

Greens are left.

Far right are parties such as One Nation or Clive Palmer's United Party. 

There seem to be a lot of so-called Teals this time round, which are (to my understanding) independents who are economically conservative-ish but are socially progressive. So, Teals aren't a party. It's more of a political leaning, with several key independents identifying as Teal.

Overall, I'm feeling a sense of relief and hope. I'd forgotten those feelings, so it's a bit of a breath of fresh air for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I wish there was a simple graphic, but I can't easily find one.

If we had a spectrum from left wing to right wing, we'd have our two major parties in the middle-ish, with Labor left-leaning and Liberals right-leaning.

Greens are left.

Far right are parties such as One Nation or Clive Palmer's United Party. 

There seem to be a lot of so-called Teals this time round, which are (to my understanding) independents who are economically conservative-ish but are socially progressive. So, Teals aren't a party. It's more of a political leaning, with several key independents identifying as Teal.

Overall, I'm feeling a sense of relief and hope. I'd forgotten those feelings, so it's a bit of a breath of fresh air for me.

Teal are moderate Libs, which is why they got up.

Do you think the floods swing it for the Greens in your seat?

Isn't all this political talk. And therefore not to be in the main board.  Or is it all ok if everyone is all on the same side? 

Looks like we are going to have a hung parliament, so lots and lots of boring political fighting to fill the news for the next 3 years. 

Greens are basically one step from Labour

Very bad for any industry,  manufacturing, farmers or anyone who does productive work. By productive I mean jobs that produce things, not  productive as in get things done. 

Terrific for people who live in cities

• Like 2

Also we have a crazy voting system in Australia that is based on preferences. So someone might get  most votes in an area, but that doesn't mean they will win, depends on what everyone voted second or third. Very simplestic example liberal might have more votes,  then greens second then labour third, but if labour didn't get in then all their votes go to greens so that greens total is  more than liberal so greens wins, and vise versa. 

Confusing     yes

Oh and we don't vote for the prime minister. We vote for party's, a party has to win 75 places to win with a majority. If they don't then they have to make deals with the I dependants to have a workable government, called a hung parliament. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Also we have a crazy voting system in Australia that is based on preferences. So someone might get  most votes in an area, but that doesn't mean they will win, depends on what everyone voted second or third. Very simplestic example liberal might have more votes,  then greens second then labour third, but if labour didn't get in then all their votes go to greens so that greens total is  more than liberal so greens wins, and vise versa. 

Confusing     yes

Oh and we don't vote for the prime minister. We vote for party's, a party has to win 75 places to win with a majority. If they don't then they have to make deals with the I dependants to have a workable government, called a hung parliament. 

Otoh, people vote strategically, knowing they can vote for a minor party ( helping that party with funding) but that their votes will go to Labor or Lib. 

Most green votes preference Labor, most PHON preference Liberal. 

I love that we have preferential voting - gives a lot of scope for things like minority govt - our past minority government was incredibly hard working and efficient, passing a lot of legislation negotiated with country conservative independents. 

None of them are 'my' party, though I'm a member of one, because all of them have policies I agree with and disagree with. 

I think the election of independents who are anti corruption and want a federal ICAC is good for all of us. Less corruption = a better functioning democracy. 

I'm sorry if you were unhappy with the results. Some of us will always be disappointed, and to be fair, I've been disappointed for the last decade. Commiserations, but yes, congrats to those who want action on climate and corruption. 

• Like 3

It's a bit political - I've started a thread in the politics chat. 

I am excited that one person who got in is a medical expert who has been arguing the whole time that Covid is airborne and we need to take appropriate action (eg ventilation). I hope that she has influence in the future. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bookbard said:

It's a bit political - I've started a thread in the politics chat. 

I am excited that one person who got in is a medical expert who has been arguing the whole time that Covid is airborne and we need to take appropriate action (eg ventilation). I hope that she has influence in the future. 

Not all of us are able to post there. 

But yes, for those who are, they could probably answer people's questions. 

I'm happy to get rid of my Albo' post if ppl would prefer. Everything else is factual. 

That's awesome! Who is it? Could you PM me if names are too iffy. 

35 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Otoh, people vote strategically, knowing they can vote for a minor party ( helping that party with funding) but that their votes will go to Labor or Lib. 

Most green votes preference Labor, most PHON preference Liberal. 

I love that we have preferential voting - gives a lot of scope for things like minority govt - our past minority government was incredibly hard working and efficient, passing a lot of legislation negotiated with country conservative independents. 

None of them are 'my' party, though I'm a member of one, because all of them have policies I agree with and disagree with. 

I think the election of independents who are anti corruption and want a federal ICAC is good for all of us. Less corruption = a better functioning democracy. 

I'm sorry if you were unhappy with the results. Some of us will always be disappointed, and to be fair, I've been disappointed for the last decade. Commiserations, but yes, congrats to those who want action on climate and corruption. 

I am not sorry

I don't care about the result at all. I absolutly hate politics. They are all a bunch of giant windbags constantly blowing off hot air, whatever their party

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Confusing     yes

I really like our preferential voting system. I like that we can make our political statement, by placing our number 1 with care. But I like that our vote will always end up in a pile. It will always count.  It never gets tossed out. Choosing our preferences is so important, because our vote will always matter.

And I really like that voting is compulsory here. I think it's good that it makes everyone take notice of the issues at least occasionally. 

And I really like that our new government will have a lot of independents and minor parties. I hope that this means that more diverse voices and thoughts and needs are listened to and acted upon.

I don't really see this as a problematic political discussion. I'm sure @Rosie_0801will let us know if we need to shush.

• Like 4

I am unhappy, mixed feelings, but I'm not surprised, very rare for a fed gov to go for 3 terms. I would somewhat disagree with the characterisations of some parties above but it's close enough. Would have liked to see more LibDems and more, um, competence from the big 2, but it is what it is and let's get on with it.

And that's about all I'll say about that because, yeah, political. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

And I really like that voting is compulsory here. I think it's good that it makes everyone take notice of the issues at least occasionally. 

I have taught my kids that if they don't feel like looking into all the political nonsense the main thing is to get your name crossed off at the poling booth. then you can leave the voting slips blank and shove them into the box. no fines then. I feel that is way way better then just numbering 1 to whatever down the list . That gives an unfair advantage to whomever is at the top of the paper. and I believe that is the way a lot of not interested people vote.

45 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

And I really like that our new government will have a lot of independents and minor parties. I hope that this means that more diverse voices and thoughts and needs are listened to and acted upon.

I guess that is how it should work in theory

but seems here in Vic that what happens is that some independent with  a bee in their bonnet does secret deals with the government to get whatever they want. So the reality is that a very few in one seat get the say over what happens for the whole state no matter whatever everyone else voted for

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I guess that is how it should work in theory

but seems here in Vic that what happens is that some independent with  a bee in their bonnet does secret deals with the government to get whatever they want. So the reality is that a very few in one seat get the say over what happens for the whole state no matter whatever everyone else voted for

Yes, it can be a very double edged sword, as they can hyper focus on one pet thing and hold negotiations to ransom. On balance I prefer more party/independents diversity and forced negotiations than less. It's going to be interesting, that's for sure. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

they are all drunks

I found it extremely entertaining when Barnaby got those drug addict actors who thought they were above Australian laws and brought their dogs into Australia to make a info video saying they are sorry without make up . Really exposed them for the pathetic people they are. I thought the best punishment ever 

There are some serious and possibly defamatory claims in your post.

I was trying to have a respectful general conversation about our election. 

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I was happy to see Scomo conceding graciously. I’m not a huge fan after the response to the fires but I’m glad we can just have an election and get on with it without drama. 

Yes. Could now do without today's church coverage, but as you say, democracy is a marvellous thing, and we'll miss it when it's gone. Being able to change governments peacefully is something many people across the world wish for. We are lucky. 

2 hours ago, LMD said:

I am unhappy, mixed feelings, but I'm not surprised, very rare for a fed gov to go for 3 terms. I would somewhat disagree with the characterisations of some parties above but it's close enough. Would have liked to see more LibDems and more, um, competence from the big 2, but it is what it is and let's get on with it.

And that's about all I'll say about that because, yeah, political. 

There are some interesting parties in the Senate that come without the issue I had to hold my nose about in order to vote. Booking a meeting with my MP to discuss, now she's in power. 

I'm curious to see how the Senate pans out. 

No party ever represents us 100% and I think the Libs had a good go. Time to do things differently for a bit. 

One Liberal talking head mentioned that conservatism is a tough sell when people feel they have nothing to conserve ( re our crazy housing) and I think he's right. I hope the liberals regroup into a functional opposition. Renewal isn't always a bad thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I really like our preferential voting system. I like that we can make our political statement, by placing our number 1 with care. But I like that our vote will always end up in a pile. It will always count.  It never gets tossed out. Choosing our preferences is so important, because our vote will always matter.

I don't really see this as a problematic political discussion. I'm sure @Rosie_0801will let us know if we need to shush.

Love preferential voting! 

6 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

And voting is compulsory, you get fined if you don't vote. 

You don't have to vote. You need to attend a polling place and have your name marked on the electoral roll ( or apply for a postal vote). What you do with your ballot paper is up to you, but you are not compelled to vote for anyone. 

Voter disenfranchisement is more of a problem here than compulsory voting. Aged care, remote and indigenous locations etc all struggle to make voting available to all.

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

but seems here in Vic that what happens is that some independent with  a bee in their bonnet does secret deals with the government to get whatever they want.

It's their job to try. After all they are elected to get the best deal they can for their electorate. The party members do the same, but we don't call it a secret deal when it happens within a party room.

Anyway, it's going to give us all something to look at, whether we like what we see or not.

Personally, I'd like to see the Nats and the Greens notice they have more in common than they think. (Speaking for my own part of the state.)

6 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Love preferential voting! 

You don't have to vote. You need to attend a polling place and have your name marked on the electoral roll ( or apply for a postal vote). What you do with your ballot paper is up to you, but you are not compelled to vote for anyone. 

Voter disenfranchisement is more of a problem here than compulsory voting. Aged care, remote and indigenous locations etc all struggle to make voting available to all.

Not trying to inflame passions or anything but how do the fines from not voting work if voting isn’t available to all?  

(I am just fascinated with how things work in other countries). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Not trying to inflame passions or anything but how do the fines from not voting work if voting isn’t available to all?  

(I am just fascinated with how things work in other countries). 

Good question. I'm not sure.

You can dispute the fine. Dd forgot to vote in a state election and had her fine waived because she was interstate. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Interesting. I assume there is a provision for those who remain politically neutral?

No, you turn up, get your name checked off and then you can choose to mark your ballot or not. If you don't turn up, you get a $50 fine. Plenty of people just pay the fine..

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Interesting. I assume there is a provision for those who remain politically neutral?

You get sent the fine, and you fill in the form with heaps of scriptures from the bible and you get off the fine as they put you down as a religious nut. That is what I did for years when I was a JW.