Menu

What is your favorite heavy o'dourve to take to a Christmas party?

MJN

I don't know if this qualifies as simple, but everyone asks me to bring my bacon wrapped dates. It is easy to make ahead most of the way and finish off quickly.

Amounts are approximate:

1 lb bacon

1 container fresh whole dates (produce section)

3/4 cup Honey teriyaki sauce (I usually use the one from Tastefully simple, but I have used a Trader Joe's teriyaki and added about 1/4 cup honey.

Pre cook the bacon to remove some grease, but it still needs to be soft. I use the microwave method so it cooks between paper towels to absorb much of the grease. Cut the bacon into thirds. Cut into each date and remove the seed. Wrap each date with the 1/3 piece of bacon and close with a toothpick. Put the bacon/dates onto a broiling pan and put them into a 400 degree oven and cook until the bacon is getting crispy - about 15 minutes. Remove them and drain them on paper towels. Toss them with the honey teriyaki sauce and serve.

I usually make the rolls ahead the night before and cook them up right before we leave. I can cook them up and keep warm in a crock pot - the texture is softer, but still delicious.

I do meatballs (from freezer section) with apple jelly and ketsup to taste for the sauce. If I am fixing a big batch I use a large jar of apple jelly. A small batch gets a small jar.

Chili with Frito chips is another option.

Cheese dip with tortilla chips. I do Velveta cheese with salsa added for the dip.

Amounts are approximate:

1 lb bacon

1 container fresh whole dates (produce section)

3/4 cup Honey teriyaki sauce (I usually use the one from Tastefully simple, but I have used a Trader Joe's teriyaki and added about 1/4 cup honey.

Pre cook the bacon to remove some grease, but it still needs to be soft. I use the microwave method so it cooks between paper towels to absorb much of the grease. Cut the bacon into thirds. Cut into each date and remove the seed. Wrap each date with the 1/3 piece of bacon and close with a toothpick. Put the bacon/dates onto a broiling pan and put them into a 400 degree oven and cook until the bacon is getting crispy - about 15 minutes. Remove them and drain them on paper towels. Toss them with the honey teriyaki sauce and serve.

I was just going to post this, but with water chestnuts instead of dates. You can use regular barbecue sauce instead, if you want. For that matter, plain is good, too!

Get a wheel of brie cheese and cut it in half length-wise. Sprinkle with raspberry jam and pecans and put back together. Wrap it in cresent roll dough (the kind you buy in a tube). Sprinkle the top with butter and pecans. Bake for 15 minutes until the dough is lightly brown. Serve with crackers and/or sliced baguette. This is ALWAYS a favorite of people!!

Spinach artichoke dip! I take it everywhere! I took it to a family gathering today and it was gone in about 20 minutes.;)

2 8oz packages of cream cheese (softened)

1/2 cup mayonaise

10 oz frozen spinach (thawed, drained and squeezed dry) (you could also use fresh--I did today)

1 14oz jar of artichoke hearts drained and chopped

1 cup of parmesan cheese

2 Tbsp lemon juice

3 cloves garlic finely chopped (I put them through my garlic press)

Mix cream cheese and mayon unitl smooth. Add in spinach, artichoke hearts and parmesan. Stir until well incorporated. Add lemon juice and garlic and stir well. Bake (I bake it in my large round Pampered Chef stone) at 375* covered for 20 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking for 5-10 minutes until edges are golden.

Serve with tortilla chips or chunks of French bread for dipping.

Happy Holiday Parties!

Buffalo wings

Pigs in a blanket--roll 1/2 hotdog in a crescent roll (the kind in the tube); bake as directed

BBQ pork--cut pork loin into 3-4 pieces, brown in skillet, roast in crockpot on high; shred; serve with dinner rolls and bbq sauce, coleslaw optional

Cinder

Spinach Stuffing Balls--you can find a recipe by searching recipe websites. Here's one: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Stuffing-Balls/Detail.aspx I found that I only needed 1 pkg (1 block) of frozen spinach per box of stuffing mix. These are really good even after they've cooled off.

Some recipes I found called for 6 eggs, 1 box of stuffing, 2 pkgs of spinach, and various seasonings, while other recipes called for 2 eggs instead of 6 (and everything else was nearly the same). I sort of met them in the middle, but found I needed a little extra water (probably because I didn't use as much spinach).

The nice thing is that these are vegetarian (not vegan, though), so it's nice to provide a meatless alternative for people.

These rueben bites always go fast. Take a can of crescent rolls but don't separate them, just lay them in a rectangle on a cookie sheet. Put a few thin slices of corned beef over them. Sprinkle w/shredded swiss cheese and drained and somewhat dry sauerkraut. Roll up (the long way) and bake. When done, slice into 1" slices and serve w/thousand island as a dip. Yummy!

This thread is making me snack-hungry. Here's mine --- liver pate. My sister called me today for this recipe:

16oz liverwurst

8oz cream cheese

1 TBL finely chopped onion

2 TBL cooked, finely chopped bacon

1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Blend all together using a mixer so it is all smooth (paste smooth). Form into a ball or put into dish. Refrigerate overnight so the flavors meld together. Serve with crackers.

ummmm good.

Carole

These rueben bites always go fast. Take a can of crescent rolls but don't separate them, just lay them in a rectangle on a cookie sheet. Put a few thin slices of corned beef over them. Sprinkle w/shredded swiss cheese and drained and somewhat dry sauerkraut. Roll up (the long way) and bake. When done, slice into 1" slices and serve w/thousand island as a dip. Yummy!

How long would you bake these? This sounds interesting:-)

Yum!

Carrie:-)

Guest eliza_leigh

I cook 4-Pepper Deviled Eggs during occasions. Our family members and guests loved the dish. I got the recipe courtesy of Alton Brown from Food Network. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

6 hard boiled eggs, cooked and peeled

1 tsp whole pink peppercorns, divided

1/2 teaspoon whole white peppercorns

1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

1/2 teaspoon whole green peppercorns

1/2 teaspoon caper liquid

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Pinch sugar

Directions:

Slice the eggs in half from top to bottom. Scoop the yolks into a medium mixing bowl and lay the whites aside. Place all of the peppercorns, except 1/2 teaspoon of the pink peppercorns, into a spice grinder and process until ground well. Add the ground peppers, caper liquid, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and sugar to the egg yolks and using a fork, stir to thoroughly combine. Place the mixture into a zip-top plastic bag and cut a small hole at one of the corners. Pipe the mixture into each of the white halves. Coarsely grind the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of pink peppercorns and use to garnish the top of each egg.

Chill for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator before serving.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Bacon Wrapped Smokies

I always read the reviews to make changes as I think would be best based on the reviews.

For these I place them in a roasting pan. I line the bottom with foil, and spray the rack down with Pam. I wrap each smokey as directed and then sprinkle with lots of brown sugar to make sure they they are all covered well. I don't put them in a bag and shake them up (waste to much brown sugar IMHO). Once they are done I place them in a crock pot, pour the drippings in the crockpot, add a little more brown sugar and a little bit of maple syrup.

These always go quickly and are YUMMY!

Cheese and crackers- use cream cheese, roasted red peppers shrimp can or fresh mix it all together in food processor leaving it a little lumpy. Serve chilled garnish with parsley.)

chicken wings are always a good choice ( I use wet wings and coat them in a flour mixture with seasoning salt and basil, deep fry them you can serve them hot or cold) I will often make several different kinds, after deep frying I will put barbeque sauce or teriyaki sauce or honey and garlic sauce.

The above works well using cut up chicken breast or thicker slices so no need to worry about the bone. But only works good served hot

one I am going to use this year is pork Souvlaki meat sold at Costco’s in large pieces. I am going to cube it, cook it, then put each piece on a tooth pick you can also buy the sauce already done or make your own. Garnish with red, green and yellow peppers.

Bacon Wrapped Smokies

I always read the reviews to make changes as I think would be best based on the reviews.

For these I place them in a roasting pan. I line the bottom with foil, and spray the rack down with Pam. I wrap each smokey as directed and then sprinkle with lots of brown sugar to make sure they they are all covered well. I don't put them in a bag and shake them up (waste to much brown sugar IMHO). Once they are done I place them in a crock pot, pour the drippings in the crockpot, add a little more brown sugar and a little bit of maple syrup.

These always go quickly and are YUMMY!

These and the sausage balls are my stand-bys. They are always devoured!

Reuben Rolls

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitestavern viewpost.gif

How long would you bake these? This sounds interesting:-)

Yum!

Carrie:-)

I think it's about 20 minutes?? Whenever the pastry gets medium brown and looks cooked!