Menu

April healthy eating

Selkie

This month I am looking forward to making recipes from the cookbook I just got, the PlantYou Cookbook by Carleigh Bodrug. I was able to snag one of the last three copies from a Canadian bookseller - it was sold out at every US bookseller that I tried. The recipes look amazingly good, the photography is beautiful, and the foreword is by one of my favorite gut experts, Dr. Will Bulsiewicz. 

https://smile.amazon.com/PlantYou-Ridiculously-Amazingly-Delicious-Plant-Based/dp/0306923041/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3V8B9Y8CMG7XU&keywords=plantyou&qid=1648947189&sprefix=plantyou%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-1

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with mango, kiwi, blueberries, raspberries, apple, figs, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - An oat/bean/veggie burger with a spinach-kale wrap, kraut, pickles, scallions, and greens. 2 small blood oranges and a mandarin.

Dinner - Leftover tofu/veggie sushi.

• Like 4

Big workday today--we finally finished rehabbing the basement and now have the huge task of moving everything back in down there.

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with no-sugar cashew milk

Lunch--leftover Moroccan lamb stew with gf cornbread slathered in EB butter and a little raw honey

Snack--dark chocolate, some grapes

Dinner--GF + DF pizza. I ordered it feeling jaded and cynical, but it was seriously really good. So happy. Not the healthiest,, but it was a nice way to end a workday.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eos said:

Q: do you guys list what you ate or what you plan to eat?

If I post before the end of the day, then I only do it after I've decided on what to make for dinner.  I always eat (and post) the same things for lunch, snack and before bedtime snack, with only slight variations perhaps once a month or so.  So dinner really is my wild card. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eos said:

Usually what I have eaten but occasionally what I am sure I will eat.

Saturday

Breakfast - porridge,  yoghurt,  blueberries 

Lunch - chicken, parsnip,  beans, bulgur wheat with root veg.

Snack - quark, apple, mandarin, cheese 

Supper - red mullet with wild garlic. Beans and kale. Prunes and chocologic.  More yoghurt and blueberries with quinoa crunch 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

OK, I will admit to following this thread just to mmmm and nomnomnom over some of the foods listed. Also trying to limit certain items, so I get inspiration here.

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Snack - quark,

Do you make your own?

• Like 4

Not the healthiest day but not as bad as it could have been 

Breakfast - porridge, yoghurt, raspberries 

Snack - the world's biggest almond croissant,  eaten in several sittings during the day

Lunch  - lentil sprouts and tomatoes with a yoghurt dressing and two poached eggs

Supper - gin and tonic, nuts, kippers, broccoli leaves,  courgette 

• Like 4

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with banana, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apple, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Oat/bean/veggie burger wrap with kraut, pickles, and greens. Lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - Lentil shepherd's pie, roasted broccoli, garlicky snap peas & wild mushrooms.

Dessert - Strawberries and kumquats.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Eos said:

I list whichever. If it's the beginning of the day and I want a little accountability to stick to a healthy plan, I post what I think I should eat that day. But there are just as many days that I simply report at the end of the day what I ate and how it went.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Breakfast--For our entire marriage, dh has always made a big Sunday breakfast before church. Today's was eggs, Canadian bacon, and fried potatoes with tea (NS).

Lunch--A smidge of leftover breakfast potatoes, handful of grapes, and lunchmeat sandwiches using street corn tortillas as bread. Tea with sugar.

Dinner--Tuna salad scooped with corn chips, also guacamole, tea (NS)

I may yet have some more fruit or tea tonight.

• Like 6

Sunday-  it was a junk food day. 

bone broth 

a bag of cheetos at church. Pure emotional eating because I was extremely frustrated with a couple of people. 

lunch- cup of broccoli cheddar soup. 1/4 of a salad (All-natural grilled chicken breast, bacon,crumbled blue cheese, hard-boiled egg, cucumber and tomatoes, served on a bed of field greens with creamy buttermilk ranch). A bag of chips that didn’t even really taste good but I ate anyway. 

snack- some chocolate squares. 

dinner-  the second 1/4 of the lunch salad (it was a “half salad “). 

hard boiled eggs. 

• Like 5

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with banana, kiwi, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apple, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, red cabbage, snap peas, mushrooms, beets, carrots, cukes, olives, tomatoes, scallions, garlic, couscous, spicy peanut dressing. 4 small mandarins.

Dinner - Pizza with kale, mushrooms, peppers, olives, onions.

Dessert - Strawberries and kumquats.

• Like 5

Breakfast--Pear before teaching class. Messed up my eating for the rest of the day because I didn't get nearly enough, then had two middle-of-the-day meals. I really need to get up about twenty minutes earlier to have a proper breakfast before class.

Lunch--Stirfry rice with veg, eggs, and a little Canadian bacon.

My weird, other snack--chips with salsa, orange, gave in to temptation and had a slice of gf cake with raspberry coulis drizzled over. Not so healthy. 

Dinner--Smashed it outta the park. Rosemary chicken, roast rosemary potatoes, roast asparagus. Elegant and yummy.

Snack--Smidge of dark chocolate.

• Like 6

My goal this month is to ween myself off Doritos. I developed a bit of a craving for them.Â đŸ˜„

We're also going 'scale free' in our household for mental health purposes. I'm getting used to other ways of moderating my weight-food ratio. So far, I'm using stretchy clothing, but this might not be the best 

• Like 5

Breakfast for me is two slices of toast with avodaco and pink Himalayan salt, blackberries, and half a Kevita sparkling probiotic lemonade. Kids had the same plus bananas and scrambled eggs. 

4oz Noosa yogurt as a snack. Lunch was chicken pot stickers, cucumbers, and apples. I have chugged water, but also had an A&W root beer. Kids are snacking on cantaloupe. 

Dinner is set to be tacos because it's Tuesday buuuuut... I am not feeling it. Not at all. I am craving stuff because of hormones, but nothing I want is nearby sooo..  idk. 

Edited by Brittany1116
  • Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, banana, kiwi, apple, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with a head of butter lettuce, broccoli sprouts, red cabbage, quinoa, black beans, carrots, radishes, scallions, tomatoes, olives, snap peas, mushrooms, spicy peanut dressing.

Dinner - Tried a new recipe for roasted red pepper cauliflower soup, which was very good. Threw in lots of extra spices and some roasted mushrooms. Also had roasted asparagus and a Dave's Killer Everything bagel.

Dessert - Strawberries and blackberries. 

• Like 4

Breakfast--I'm feeling good about getting an actual bowl of granola BEFORE class this morning. Coffee after class.

Lunch--Lunchmeat sandwiches with corn tortillas for bread, a little guacamole with chips, pear.

Dinner--Bunless burger with seasoned waffle fries, onions and peppers.

Snack--Dark chocolate.

• Like 4

I'm here to report that we tried Nisha Vora's recipe for a tofu scramble and liked it. (DH at first didn't realize we had the Indian black salt salt & omitted it, but I fixed that--it's essential to make the scramble egg-like & not tofu-like.) We had it in tortillas with chopped tomato and spinach & had some potatoes on the side. I think this is our healthiest breakfast-for-dinner option. I'll add fruit when available--I can see orange slices being great with this.

Unrelated: I wish I had some chocolate right now, but knowing that I'd eat it, I didn't buy it.

• Like 5

Wednesday-

bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms and onions and mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack-  five spoonfuls of Talenti Southern butter pecan gelato. 
a handful of salt and vinegar pistachios. 

dinner- chicken and asparagus with brown rice. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with pineapple, banana, apple, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, broccoli sprouts, red cabbage, olives, broccoli, radishes, tomatoes, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds - topped with mashed avocado mixed with kimchi (got this idea from a fellow member of my Forks Over Knives group and it is so good). 4 small mandarins and a walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - Same as last night - roasted red pepper cauliflower mushroom soup with a Dave's Killer Everything bagel. Roasted asparagus, cucumber slices.

Dessert - Strawberries and blackberries.

• Like 4

I've not been posting in forever. Some rough days here and there with stress and lack of sleep. But I got back to it. Eating is still not what I'd consider perfect but decent, which seems to be what I can manage right now.

b: nf greek yogurt/blueberries/homemade muesli (gf raw rolled oats/pepitas/sunflower seeds/nut mix/unsweet coconut flakes/cocoa nibs/dates/slivered almonds)

after workout; pumpkin pancakes (oats/eggs/lf cottage cheese), pb w/ flax+ chia, drizzle honey

lunch: chicken/rice noodle/veggie stir fry; 2 dark choc sea salt caramels

snack: salad or pineapple+ cottage cheese depending on if Im feeling sweet or savory

dinner: greens/salad mix+ black beans+ boiled eggs

mandarins

• Like 5

Thursday-

bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack-  Waldorf salad, chocolate squares 

dinner-  stir- fry (ground beef, tofu, cabbage, bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, bok choy, pea pods, onions). 

hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 4

A decent day today.

Breakfast--half bowl of low-sugar granola with cashew milk (NS) and a banana.

Lunch--big salad, handful of chips with salsa, couple dark chocolate squares (95%), cup of tea (S).

Dinner--Leftover sweet/sour tofu stirfry from yesterday, sweet potato

I may snack once more tonight. If so I may share some popcorn with dh.

• Like 4

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with pineapple, banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, apple, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, broccoli sprouts, red cabbage, quinoa, black beans, radishes, tomatoes, beets, scallions, broccoli, mashed avocado with kimchi. Lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - Veggie burger wrap with red cabbage/ginger kraut, scallions, and microgreens. Purple sweet potato oven fries. Roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.

• Like 4

I haven't posted much lately - busy, sleepless times. I slept well last night though.  Friday - expected

Lunch - cannelini, tomato and butternut squash.  Mooli salad. Veggie sausages.

Snacks - quark, various fruit and veg

Supper- venison burgers, and veg from the local farm

• Like 6

@Laura CorinHooray for good sleep. I got in a good night's sleep as welll. It makes such a difference.

I ended up eating more than planned yesterday. Don't know if that helped my sleep, or walking more, or another random factor.

added onto my afternoon snack (after lf cottage cheese/pineapple/pecans--- I had ham/bugles (still leftover from MIL)--- then with my evening salad I used my black beans and made some bean and cheese quesadillas with corn tortillas

Today--- 

before workout--- nf plain greek yogurt/blueberries/homemade muesli mix (no oil or sweetener)

after workout- corn tortillas/black beans/eggs/salsa

lunch- baked tofu/white basmati rice/veggies+ mandarin oranges+ dark sea salt caramels

snack- ? 

dinner- baked salmon/asparagus/spiced roasted sweet potato

• Like 6

Such a hideous headache all day today along with inflammation and muscle tension through my neck and shoulders. Some is that I got super hungry in the morning, but the usual helps like caffeine, nap, food, and Tylenol did not help. 

Breakfast--2 small bananas on my way out to an early PT appointment. Peanut M&Ms on the way home. Mid-morning I had some tea with a little sugar, as well as eggs with potato, ham, and red onion.

Lunch--3 lettuce/lunchmeat rolls and an orange.

Dinner--Curried chicken with a handful of tortilla chips to be a bread/cracker substitute. Salad. 

Snacks--a couple squares dark chocolate, shared some popcorn with dh.

• Like 4

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with mango, kiwi, apple, pineapple, banana, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, broccoli sprouts, red cabbage, quinoa, black beans, broccoli, beets, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, mashed avocado with kimchi. A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - Thai red curry soup loaded with veggies - Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, bell pepper, carrot, spinach, onions, garlic, ginger, plus cannellini beans. A Dave's Killer Everything bagel.

• Like 5

Friday- cheat day 

bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack-  the remaining bit of Talenti Southern Butter Pecan gelato

the remaining bit of salt and vinegar pistachios

dinner-  salad, chicken with a cream sauce, black beans. Shared a gf chocolate cake slice with dh.

hard boiled eggs  

• Like 5

I saw a new primary care doctor a few days ago. I got some of my lab results back, and my hemoglobin A1C is back down in the healthy category. So one goal met! 

Today I have had salmon baked with lemon and rosemary, salad of mustard microgreens and lettuce, half an avocado, sliced beets, tea with sugar.

No idea yet what I'll eat for dinner.

I've reintroduced some stuff back into my diet in small amounts--like dairy (cheese) and eggs. I've had some wheat, too. I haven't noticed any ill effects as of yet. I have not added back legumes or nightshades. 

• Like 6

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with mango, kiwi, banana, apple, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Black bean burger wrap with red cabbage/ginger kraut, scallions, and greens. Kumquats and a lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - Veggie sushi (nori, tofu, carrots, scallions, avocado, red cabbage, sesame seeds, panko).

• Like 6

Slept much more deeply and much longer with super-special magnesium supplement.

Breakfast--2 small bananas on the way to work out. Ate a proper breakfast omelette afterward: ham, potato, red onion, mushroom, eggs. Tea (S).

Lunch--lunchmeat sandwiches with corn tortillas as bread substitutes. Also an orange. Coffee with cashew milk and maple syrup.

Snack--salsa with small handful baked chips

Dinner--gorgeous, glorious homemade lamb korma with rice and sweet potato. Canteloupe also on the side.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

What magnesium supplement do you take?

It's called RelaxMax, produced by Xymogen. I get it from a naturopath doctor.

It really makes me spacey and groggy, so I do not take it every day. Be aware, though, that I tend to be extremely susceptible to drowsiness with medications, so it may not affect other people as much as it does me. That said, it does contain GABA, which is what I think heightens the drowsiness. I did originally take it daily to tamp down muscle spasms, but I do not need it at that level anymore. I take it sometimes if I've got multiple muscle spasms flaring or if I am desperate for sleep.

Each 3g scoop contains:

75mg magnesium

2g myo-inositol

500mg taurine

100mg GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid)

50mg L-theanine

There are no additional or inactive ingredients. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, popmom said:

I saw a new primary care doctor a few days ago. I got some of my lab results back, and my hemoglobin A1C is back down in the healthy category. So one goal met! 

Today I have had salmon baked with lemon and rosemary, salad of mustard microgreens and lettuce, half an avocado, sliced beets, tea with sugar.

No idea yet what I'll eat for dinner.

I've reintroduced some stuff back into my diet in small amounts--like dairy (cheese) and eggs. I've had some wheat, too. I haven't noticed any ill effects as of yet. I have not added back legumes or nightshades. 

Congratulations on the A1C, that is a great accomplishment.

• Thanks 1

3 days of HUNGER-- although it has dissipated some. There were some bad choices Thursday and Friday- although not epicly bad. There was a bowl of cocoa pebbles at some point, mostly I just ate more than planned. I've been more active the last few days and hit ovulation time and I've started a new strength programming really pushing the weights. I might have to up intake. I'd lowered it from my previous level as I hadn't been as active but it won't be enough if I continue to do more. I'm just going to play it by ear.

before workout-- blueberries/homemade muesli/nf plain greek yogurt

after workout- eggs/homemade gf whole grain bread (primarily teff w/ flax/sweet rice/brown rice)

lunch- turkey chili w/ corn tortillas; 2 dark choc sea salt caramels; apple+ pb w/ flax+ chia

snack-mixed greens/cabbage salad w/ pepitas/tortilla dressing

dinner- chicken shwarma/ cauliflower/brown basmati rice

• Like 6

Dinner plans this week:

today - black bean soup with chickpea flatbread

Monday - chicken, rice, peas, applesauce

Tuesday - pizza casserole (basically cauliflower with tomato sauce and Miyoko's mozz)

Wednesday - veggie stir fry, rice, peanuts

Thursday - potato croquettes (new-to-us recipe) with a marinara for dipping

Friday: lemon thyme white bean soup, vegetarian "crab" (zucchini) cakes

Saturday: pineapple-black bean bowls

• Like 7

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Kale and broccoli sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with mango, kiwi, apple, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - A bowl of Thai red curry Brussels sprouts soup, a Dave's bagel, and a handful of teeny tiny mandarins.

Snack - Ate some veggies while I was in the kitchen prepping food for the week - radishes, roasted cauliflower, roasted mushrooms.

Dinner - The last of the tofu/veggie sushi.

• Like 5

I ate according to my plan yesterday--- aside from the leftover piece of gf teef/flax bread dd3 decided she didn't like.

Today will not be so active-- my body is sore from so much work outside this weekend and workouts + it is storming and the girls have school to do AND my allergies are really flaring.

before workout: blueberries/pineapple/mango+ gf nf yogurt+ homemade no oil/sugar muesli (gf rolled oats/chopped dates/walnuts/macademia/cashews/pecans/almonds/cocoa nibs/ unsweet coconut flakes/sunflower seeds/pepitas)

after workout: homemade gf bread- teff/flax/rice+ eggs; apple +pb+ chia/flax

lunch: red cabbage/quinoa/black bean salad of some sort- almost grocery day so we'll see what we have in the frig; 2 dark choc sea salt caramels

snack; tuna+ purple sweet potato chips

dinner: chicken+ broccoli+ brown rice/quinoa pasta

• Like 3