Menu

April healthy eating

Selkie

Monday:

Breakfast: 2 eggs with some sad looking spinach (thanks to our not great Walmart shopper this week) and some roasted sweet potato

Lunch (on the road between jobs): hardboiled egg, some deli turkey, sugar snap peas, carrot sticks, and grapes

Snack: part of a Larabar (didn't like, so didn't finish)

Dinner: Italian chicken with marinara sauce, salad, and 2 of the ginormousest strawberries I've ever seen (Walmart shopper strikes again)

Not really very hungry today. 

• Like 5

I finished my 2 weeks with the Libre CGM. That was worth the cost of the Zoe test kit for me. My best meals (meaning I didn't have a blood sugar spike or dip) were 2 dinners. 1) 4 oz pulled pork on a white bread bun with bbq sauce, smoked gouda cheese grits, and fried green tomatoes. I was shocked. I though maybe the monitor had malfunctioned, but no. Just a gentle little rise and fall. 2) The next best meal was meatballs with a sauce made from sour cream, mayo, and siracha, white rice, steamed broccoli with a little butter. 

What I found strange was that some of their prescribed challenges didn't work like they were supposed to. So the meals they prescribed to demonstrate how sequencing foods or adding fat/fiber to flatten the curve didn't work for me--my blood sugar spiked almost as bad as eating plain white bread toast. 

I wish I could have another 2 weeks with it. 

• Like 5

Monday - 

Breakfast - An apple and a bag of greens (eaten in the car on the way to an appointment). Muesli with guava, banana, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, strawberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Whole grain wrap with chickpeas, tofu, broccoli sprouts, jalapeño kraut, pickles, scallions.

Dinner - New recipe tonight - wild rice and lemon soup with mushrooms and kale. Upped the nutrition by throwing in lots of extra garlic and spices and several varieties of roasted mushrooms instead of just one. It was excellent. Had a couple Olina's Simply Seeds crackers, too.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, popmom said:

I finished my 2 weeks with the Libre CGM. That was worth the cost of the Zoe test kit for me. My best meals (meaning I didn't have a blood sugar spike or dip) were 2 dinners. 1) 4 oz pulled pork on a white bread bun with bbq sauce, smoked gouda cheese grits, and fried green tomatoes. I was shocked. I though maybe the monitor had malfunctioned, but no. Just a gentle little rise and fall. 2) The next best meal was meatballs with a sauce made from sour cream, mayo, and siracha, white rice, steamed broccoli with a little butter. 

What I found strange was that some of their prescribed challenges didn't work like they were supposed to. So the meals they prescribed to demonstrate how sequencing foods or adding fat/fiber to flatten the curve didn't work for me--my blood sugar spiked almost as bad as eating plain white bread toast. 

I wish I could have another 2 weeks with it. 

I look forward to Zoe launching here. I've been following their news for two years.

• Like 3

Tuesday:

Breakfast - 2 eggs & some sausage

Lunch - a Whole30 compliant hot dog (I have them for the kids' lunches, but I decided to try one. I really like this type better than Oscar Meyer - if I can swing it price wise, I may only buy these in the future), sugar snap peas, and a couple more ginormous strawberries. I finished it off with about 6 pistachios.

Dinner - I went all out and cooked for an hour, which is like a marathon for me! Lemon garlic pork chops, Everything but the bagel seasoned smashed potatoes, and sesame green beans. Everything was really good.

• Like 5

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with guava, kiwi, banana, apple, pear, blueberries, strawberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar (eaten in the car, no time for a proper lunch).

Dinner - Two grilled veggie burritos (peppers, onions, corn, pinto beans, lime cilantro rice, lettuce, jalapeños, guacamole, pico de gallo).

• Like 4

I've not been eating or drinking near enough and choices have been meh at times just due to circumstances (although I did order salads when out-- last nights dinner was rice cakes so....). So, I've got a day at home with relative calm to get in a hopefully good day of eating-- before the big stress of tomorrow. 

before workout- blueberries/nf plain greek yogurt/homemade nf/ns muesli

after workout- eggs+ eggwhite omlette/roasted pot/whatever veggies are in the frig

lunch: salad-chix breast/black beans/ peppers/cucumbers/tomatoes

snack: ?

dinner: hamburger soup + teff bread

• Like 5

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with blueberries, blackberries, apple, pear, guava, banana, kiwi, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big salad: Mixed greens, broccoli sprouts, tofu, hemp seeds, beets, garlic-stuffed olives, zucchini, summer squash, scallions, cauliflower, carrots, artichoke hearts, blackberries, carrot-dill kraut, chopped peanuts. Topped with green salsa. Mandarins.

Snack - A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - Leftover lemon wild rice mushroom kale soup. A Dave's Killer Everything bagel.

• Like 3

Thursday -

breakfast - bone broth and 1/2 cup of blueberries.  (I'm experimenting with eating a light breakfast.)

lunch - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, shredded carrots.  Flaxseed muffin.  almond milk cream cheese.  chocolate squares.

dinner - hummus crusted chicken, sunflower crunch salad, green peas. 

hard boiled eggs.

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with blackberries, blueberries, guava, kiwi, banana, apple, pear, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Threw a bunch of things in a bowl and it turned out pretty tasty. Butter beans, carrot-dill kraut, roasted zucchini and summer squash, scallions, olives. Topped it with a small spoonful of tahini mixed with dijon mustard. Also had half a container of spring mix (plain), a Dave's Killer English muffin, a sumo orange, and a mandarin.

Snack - About 1/3 of a red bell pepper (shared with my dogs).

Dinner - A veggie burger (beet/red onion/carrot)on a sprouted whole wheat wrap with kimchi, pickles, scallions, and spring mix. Za'atar oven fries (mix of Yukon Gold and purple and orange sweet potatoes). Roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.

• Like 3

before workout -- blueberries+ strawberries/homemade muesli /Oikos triple zero strawberry yogurt

after workout- egg+ egg white omlette w/ veg (or crustless quiche) ,  slice of homemade teff brread

lunch: salad mix- random mix found on sale at the store love when I can find those b/c then I get a nice big variety and I don't have to do the chopping / chicken breast/ baked potato

snack: rice cakes and pb I think

dinner: cauliflower crust pizza/ roasted brussel sprouts- lots and lots 

-----------

My appetite has been low all week and I've not ate enough between stress and busyness. I'm waiting to see if/when my hunger goes nuts. 

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - Early morning was hectic because my horse vet was here for a few hours doing dental work and other routine maintenance. I had a lemon poppyseed WellBean bar beforehand, and then when we were done, I had my usual bowl of microgreens and a small muesli/bean bowl with blueberries, blackberries, apple, pear, kiwi, mango, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Microgreens salad with farro, canary beans, carrots, mushrooms, beets, scallions, artichoke hearts, olives, cauliflower, and green salsa. Two mandarins.

Dinner - A leftover veggie burger (beet/red onion/carrot) with a sprouted whole wheat wrap, kimchi, onions, pickles, spring mix. Lentils with garlic, roasted mushrooms, and spinach (yum). Roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.

• Like 3

As I predicted I was hungryish yesterday. Food was mostly to plan. Aiming for maintenance until vaca. Due to stress and not eating much the past week I've dropped a few pounds. I don't want to continue to put my body through the stress of a deficit with the other stress so high. 

Subbed out protein pancakes instead of eggs/ popcorn and dark choc instead of rice cakes and pb; and found and ate 10ish jellybeans.

Hoping to meal prep some chickpea blondies, meant to yesterday but never got around to it. I used to make them regularly but haven't in a while.

before workout: blueberries+strawberries/plain nf yogurt/homemade muesli

after workout: pumpkin protein pancakes

lunch: salad + chicken breast; 2 sea salt dark chocolates

afternoon: popcorn/ some leftover cauliflower pizza? 

dinner: ??? I'm anxious to cook an actual homemade meal not sure what

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with yellow eye beans (have been switching up my legumes a lot lately to increase diversity), guava, kiwi, mango, blueberries, apple, pear, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two sprouted whole wheat wraps with canary beans, scallions, olives, garlic, paprika, spring mix, and a drizzle of tahini and dijon mustard. Two mandarins.

Dinner - I was planning to make veggie sushi, but ended up spending the late afternoon hunkered down in the basement because of a tornado warning (no tornadoes materialized, thankfully). No time for sushi after that, so we had pizza instead - with kale, garlic, onions, mushrooms, and olives.

• Like 1