Menu

April healthy eating

Selkie

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with pineapple, pear, kiwi, apple, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk. (I was preoccupied and completely forgot to add beans!)

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, red cabbage, farro, yellow eye beans, sweet potato, radishes, cauliflower, carrots, beets, olives. Topped with a drizzle of cilantro herb balsamic vinegar from California Balsamics. A handful of kumquats.

Dinner - Clean out the fridge night. Thai red curry Brussels sprouts soup, a few purple sweet potato oven fries, and a Dave's bagel.

• Like 4

Tuesday 

Breakfast: Banana, peanut butter, buckwheat smoothie with multi vitamin, magnesium, and probiotics mixed in.

Lunch will be my version of Taco Bell pintos and cheese. Refried beans mixed with a swirl of fody taco sauce, melted vegan cheese, and topped with green onions. Served with blue corn tortillas.

Dinner will probably be vegetable fried rice. So good.

• Like 4

Tuesday-

bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack - some leftover “no-mato sloppy joe topping “ with brown rice. I thought that maybe this was a goof but my blood sugars were perfect afterwards so maybe not a goof. 

dinner-  stir fried veggies (onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, yellow squash, Chinese pea pods, celery). Steak bites. Brown rice. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with pear, apple, pineapple, mango, kiwi, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big salad: Mixed greens, farro, beluga lentils, red cabbage/ginger kraut, cauliflower, carrots, radishes, mushrooms, garlic-stuffed olives, sunflower seeds, Sweet Heat balsamic vinegar (garlic/habanero/serrano). A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - Fried (no oil) cauliflower rice with pineapple and stir fry veggies. Also roasted broccoli and asparagus.

• Like 3

Breakfast--oatmeal with frozen berry mix and some sugar. (Berries were left over from pie baking for Easter and already sugared.) Banana.

Lunch--Street-sized corn tortillas with chicken, grapes.

Dinner--Chicken with homemade tomatilla sauce, beans, rice

Snack--dark chocolate, bits of whatever as I cook for Easter.

• Like 4

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Half a package of mixed greens. Muesli/bean bowl with figs, apple, pear, mango, kiwi, blueberries, blackberries, black walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, farro, beluga lentils, tofu, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, olives. Tried a new recipe for Greek dressing which was pretty good (red wine vinegar + lemon juice + dijon mustard + garlic + basil & oregano + aquafaba). A handful of small mandarins and a lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - Tried a new recipe for dinner, too, which was sensational - sweet potato & peanut stew. Had lots of other good things in it like red lentils, kale, bell peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, smoked paprika, cumin, turmeric. Had 1 1/2 bowls and I was stuffed. Also had a couple Olina's Simply Seeds crackers.

• Like 3

Wednesday:

bone broth

lunch - gf Vietnamese noodle "salad" (rice noodles, daikon, carrots, lettuce, chicken, peanuts, scallions, cucumbers, bean sprouts)

snack - vegetarian sushi with gf soy sauce  (which I really shouldn't have had due to the carbs but I was near the Asian grocery store and stopped for fresh sushi)

dinner - half of a portion of Filipino adobo, brown rice, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli.

chocolate squares

hard boiled eggs

• Like 3

Thursday:

bone broth

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms, mixed greens.  Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin.

snack - about two tablespoons of chopped up peppermint chocolate (why, yes, I was out of my chocolate squares.  Why do you ask?)

dinner - rotisserie chicken, green beans, yam.

Sweet Loren's oatmeal cranberry gf, df, plant based cookies that are bake at home.  Trying for the first time.

hard boiled eggs.

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Half a package of greens (dh and I ate every single microgreen and sprout in this house and are impatiently waiting for a new batch to grow). Muesli/bean bowl with figs, apple, pear, blueberries, kiwi, black walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, farro, beluga lentils, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, radishes, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, the rest of the Greek dressing. A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - BBQ tofu wraps with jalapeño kraut, pickles, scallions, and greens. Harissa sweet potato oven fries. Roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash).

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with apple, pear, blackberries, blueberries, kiwi, black walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two bbq tofu wraps with jalapeño kraut, pickles, scallions, and greens. A handful of mandarins and a walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - Leftover sweet potato peanut stew and a couple Olina's Simply Seed crackers.

• Like 3

Stupid allergies had me down this week. I've still got some congestion but it is massively improved. (without fail when I work in leaves this happens-- I'm a slow learner) Food has been decent but want to dial it in. I'd like to lose 1.5-2 lbs by the end of May.

before workout- greek yogurt/strawberries+raspberries/homemade NS NF muesli

after workout- homemade gf teff bread/boiled eggs/spinach- evoo+ vinegar

lunch: shrimp rice jambalaya+ vegs/ 2 dark sea salt caramels

snack: rice cakes/pb w/ chia+flax/banana

dinner: grilled bbq chicken/ baked sweet potato fries/ broccoli

dessert: prunes/nut mix

• Like 4

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Kale and broccoli sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with figs, apple, pear, blueberries, kiwi, blackberries, black walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two bbq tofu wraps with jalapeño kraut, scallions, pickles, and greens.

Dinner - Edamame and sushi (avocado roll, veggie roll, oshinko roll).

• Like 4

Saturday-

bone broth

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack- apple with goat cheese. 

dinner- salad (Cabbage, shaved Brussel sprouts , carrots, cucumber, sugar snap peas, red onions, black beans, poppyseed dressing). 
salt and vinegar pistachios 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

We've been doing an elimination diet here for my DD who has been having stomach issues. So, I took the chance to overhaul everyone's diet. Kind of a Whole 30 style.

Saturday:

Breakfast: green eggs (scrambled eggs with wilted baby spinach) & a slice of bacon

Lunch: Leftovers - shrimp stir fry

Dinner: Pork tenderloin in the air fryer and brussel sprouts (brussel sprouts were not very good).

Sunday: 

Breakfast: waffle iron hashbrowns & some green eggs

Lunch: sausage and sun-dried tomatoes stuffed double-baked sweet potatoes and some romaine salad

Dinner: planning for buffalo chicken chowder

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and kale sprouts. Muesli/bean bowl with blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, apple, kiwi, figs, black walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Quinoa, roasted sweet potato, and bbq tofu on a bed of greens. Mandarins.

Dinner - Summer rolls (rice paper wrappers, brown rice noodles, crispy tofu, carrots, scallions, avocado, shredded red cabbage, greens) with spicy peanut dipping sauce.

Dessert - Made the salted chocolate hemp shake recipe from the Oh She Glows Every Day cookbook. Totally delish.

• Like 3

Sunday-

bone broth 

lunch- 1/2 of a half salad (All-natural grilled chicken breast, crumbled blue cheese, grapes, apples, dried cranberries and candied walnuts, served on a bed of field greens with balsamic vinaigrette); half a bag of salt and vinegar chips; cup of broccoli cheddar soup. 

snack- chocolate squares. Some sunflower seeds. 

dinner-  other half of the half salad (All-natural grilled chicken breast, crumbled blue cheese, grapes, apples, dried cranberries and candied walnuts, served on a bed of field greens with balsamic vinaigrette). Other half of the bag of chips. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Monday:

Breakfast: eggs & an apple sausage

Lunch (in the car between job #1 & job #2 - makes it very hard): hardboiled egg, a couple of slices of grilled chicken, sugar snap peas, carrot sticks and strawberries

Dinner: turkey burgers on sweet potato bun with lettuce and tomato, salad, super-yummy fingerling potatoes in the air fryer

• Like 4

Monday-

bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with onion, mushrooms, mixed greens.  Flaxseed muffin.  Goat cheese.

snack - hummus; carrot sticks, cucumber, sugar snap peas, bell peppers.  Chocolate squares.

dinner - stir fry (zucchini, yellow squash, onions., Chinese pea pods, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, pineapple-bacon sausage, cauliflower rice mixed in)

hard boiled eggs.

• Like 4

My weekend was the oddest mix of awesome healthiness and snitching Easter candy here and there. No bingeing or stuffing, but just found myself taking a candy here and there. My kids were home and it was a festive party atmosphere goofing off with them, so that's when candy happens. 

Our Easter celebration was actually on Saturday:

Breakfast--gf low-sugar granola, grapes, coffee

Lunch--Asian lettuce wraps, charcuterie bits here and there as I worked. 

Dinner--Lamb korma, sauteed veggie mix, sweet potato.

Easter dessert--I had already planned to enjoy--I had a combo plate of tiny portions of flourless cake and berry tart and some pavlova. Loved the homemade df lemon curd and lime curd, but hated the pavlova. Way too sweet

Sunday:

Breakfast--frittata with mixed veg, cantaloupe, pineapple, tea. 

Lunch--Little snacky bits leftover from charcuterie, fruit.

Dinner--big salad

Monday:

Breakfast--banana before class, tea (NS)

Lunch--ham/lettuce rolls, leftover Asian lettuce wraps

Dinner--grain bowl (Mexican style)

• Like 4

before workout: plain nf greek yogurt/1/2 cup blueberries/1/3 cup NS/NF muesli

after workout: Southwest Tortilla Bake- modified for higher protein and gf-- 2 eggs+ 2 egg white/ 2 corn tortillas/1/4 cup cheese/ spinach/green onion/red pepper

lunch: southwest salad--- lean ground beef/romaine+ cabbage blend/red pepper/sweet potato/corn/pepitas/salsa+ greek yogurt dressing; 2 dark sea salt caramels

snack: tuna/brown rice cakes/sweet chili sauce

dinner: working on menu---- 

• Like 4

I didn't post yesterday because I had a stomach bug and the only things I ate all day were two slices of toast and two sips of veggie broth. I'm feeling a million times better today, but stuck to bland food.

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Whole grain toast.

Lunch - A microwaved sweet potato, veggies (green beans, peas, corn, carrots), and an apple.

Dinner - 1 1/2 veggie burger wraps.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

@Selkie So sorry you are sick! Hope you gain strength again quickly.

I am unexpectedly out of town this week, but holding the line pretty well today.

Breakfast: Oatmeal packet that came with the room. I am so used to making my own oatmeal with fruit and nuts and just a dab of maple syrup at home I was not prepared for how abrasively sugary and FAKE it tasted. Also ate a pear.

Lunch: Panera salad.

Dinner: Veg biryani (YUM) and pappadums.

Snack this afternoon: small bag popcorn, dark chocolate, clementine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

@Selkie So sorry you are sick! Hope you gain strength again quickly.

I am unexpectedly out of town this week, but holding the line pretty well today.

Breakfast: Oatmeal packet that came with the room. I am so used to making my own oatmeal with fruit and nuts and just a dab of maple syrup at home I was not prepared for how abrasively sugary and FAKE it tasted. Also ate a pear.

Lunch: Panera salad.

Dinner: Veg biryani (YUM) and pappadums.

Snack this afternoon: small bag popcorn, dark chocolate, clementine.

Food sounds yum (except the oatmeal blech--- I bought the kids oatmeal packets after years of making it and they wouldn't eat them!).

12 hours ago, Selkie said:

I didn't post yesterday because I had a stomach bug and the only things I ate all day were two slices of toast and two sips of veggie broth. I'm feeling a million times better today, but stuck to bland food.

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Whole grain toast.

Lunch - A microwaved sweet potato, veggies (green beans, peas, corn, carrots), and an apple.

Dinner - 1 1/2 veggie burger wraps.

Ugh, stomach bugs are terrible, thank goodness it was short lived. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

before workout: nf plain greek yogurt/ 1/3 c. nf/ns muesli/ 1/2 cup blueberries

after workout: I think southwest (corn) tortilla bake w/ veggies

lunch: lean ground beef/cabbage/onion/potato 

snack: lf cottage cheese/mandarin oranges/sprinkle pecans

dinner: beef stew- lean beef roast/potatoes/carrots/onion/green beans/corn/tomatoes

• Like 4

Dh has unfortunately come down with the same stomach crud that I just had. I'm back to feeling great, but still treading a little lightly when it comes to food. Nothing too spicy or sauerkraut-y for a couple more days!

Breakfast - Whole grain toast, mandarins, blueberries, blackberries.

Lunch - Black bean burger wrap with microgreens. A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - A big salad (just mixed greens) with Boulder Ranch wfpb ranch dressing (As soon as I took the first bite, I remembered that I had bought this dressing once before and didn't like it because it is so salty. Oh well!) Pizza with tomatoes and garlic.

• Like 3

Wednesday-

bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, mixed greens.  Flaxseed muffin.  goat cheese.

snack - hummus with sugar snap peas,  carrots, broccoli, bell peppers.  A handful of pumpkin seeds.  a couple of chocolate squares.

dinner - leftover stir-fry (broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, Chinese pea pods, onions, cauliflower, brown rice, chicken apple sausage.)

hard boiled eggs

• Like 4

I hate travel food and I feel that I did not hold the line well on a busy day, though not as bad as it could have been? It's just hard when you're ripping around to a million places and the options out there are limited. I feel I need to get a better travel plan so it's cheaper and healthier even when moving quickly among different events. The real lesson here is that I need to make sure to always have an actual kitchen when renting--the AirBnb I have right now has only a mini-fridge and a microwave.

Breakfast--More nasty oatmeal packets. I had planned to visit a gf bakery for a vegan muffin but was so short on sleep and so short on time, so made do with what was in the room. Also ate an apple.

Lunch--Weird combination of gf plain burger, fries, then homemade potato chips when I was with my sister, then a clementine and a banana and some dark chocolate. The homemade potato chips were delicious--thick and not really like chips that are commercially produced. Probably not healthy? But at least real potato.

Dinner--Leftover veg biryani, clementine.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 3

Thursday-

bone broth 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack- hummus with sugar snap peas. Flaxseed brownie bite 

dinner- salmon, yellow squash, zucchini, onions, variety of carrots in different colors, broccoli. Brown rice. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 5

Another travel day with a lot of tight schedule craziness. 

Breakfast--one apple. Was starving by mid-morning. I just could not face another fake oatmeal packet.

Lunch--tacos, then later some eggs with a smidge of bacon.

Dinner--hodgepodge dh made of potatoes, ground beef, onions, mushrooms, carrots. Blessedly plain food after icky road trip food. Also some gf rice crackers with df dip of some sort from Trader Joe's and a glass of wine.

• Like 5

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with blueberries, blackberries, kiwi, apple, pear, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chickpea "No Tuna" salad (Forks Over Knives recipe) on lavash with broccoli sprouts and pickles.

Dinner - Spinach ravioli with roasted mushrooms and marinara. Roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots).

• Like 4

Um... can't remember when I posted. Keeping on, keeping on.

I'm actually currently tracking in My Fitness Pal. I haven't officially tracked food in ages. But -

- I'm looking to lose a few pounds and wanted to increase speed from my so far glacial pace- I don't like being hungry and I want little stress on my body but I'm ready to be done- as of where I am now I'd like to lose 2- 2.5 lbs in the next 6 weeks- about 1/3-4/10 lb a week

-I want to keep an eye out for my macros- more than losing a few pounds I want to shift my body composition which hasn't went very well so far so I'm going to see what happens when I'm more intentional w/ ratios and protein intake

-sometimes it is helpful to actually measure things to get back on track as to serving sizes

I'm doing this for the next 6 weeks. I'm going on vaca at that point and the thought of doing it long term doesn't sound appealing. More the plan is that with being more intentional and focused and tracking for the next 6 weeks I'll get into the groove and can continue on without doing it formally. 

Hitting calorie and protein goals this week but my ratio of carb/fat is not where I want it. Aiming to increasing fat and decrease carbs today.

before workout: blueberries/nf plain greek yogurt/homemade ns/nf muesli

after workout: cottage cheese egg bake (crustless)

lunch: salad- vegs/nut mix/baked chicken breast/some dressing; dark sea salt caramels

snack: tuna+ rice cakes

dinner: baked fish/brussel sprouts/roasted sweet potato+chopped nuts+ cinnamon

• Like 4

Breakfast: eggs, last of the strawberries, and a piece of bacon

Lunch: the last lone Italian sausage (leftover from a recipe that I went light on the sausage), carrot and celery sticks and sugar snap peas

Dinner: nom nom paleo's Kahlua pig and the last of the salad

Grocery pickup is at 7 pm tonight, so we'll have something besides dregs in the house again LOL.

• Like 5

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed micros. Muesli with banana, pear, apple, blueberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chickpea salad on lavash with cabbage micros and pickles. Mandarins and a lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - Baked "egg" rolls made with almond flour tortillas, crispy tofu, cabbage, carrots, ginger, garlic - recipe from Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures.

• Like 4

Friday-

bone broth

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Almond milk cream cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack - sugar snap peas with almond milk cream cheese. Pumpkin seeds. Chocolate squares. 

dinner- Vietnamese noodle salad (carrots, daikon, cucumber, romaine lettuce, rice noodles, chicken, green onions)

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

Slept a full, deep night, aaaaahhhhh. Was woozy half the day from the supplement I took but it was such a relief to sleep.

Breakfast--eggs, tiny bit of leftover potatoes, slice bacon, tea (NS)

Dh got some icky news related to work, so we shared a slice of gf cake leftover from Easter. 

Snack later in the afternoon--rice crackers with leftover Easter dip from Trader Joe's, baked gf cassava chips with salsa

Dinner--more rice crackers with dip, strawberries

Late snack--banana

• Like 5

I’m doing Zoe. So my meals—particularly the first meal of the day—has been nothing like I’d eat normally. I’m using the continuous glucose monitor, so I’m playing along with their blood sugar challenges. It has been totally worth the money to have these two weeks with the CGM. I wish I could keep it longer. 

Anyway, I’ll update at the end of the week. It’s been interesting.

• Like 3

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with banana, blueberries, apple, pear, kiwi, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Chickpea salad on lavash with jalapeño kraut, pickles, and broccoli sprouts. Mandarins.

Dinner - Clean out the fridge night. Leftover baked egg rolls, spinach ravioli, marinara, roasted mushrooms.

• Like 2

Saturday-

bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Almond milk cream cheese.  Flaxseed muffin 

snack- flaxseed brownie, pumpkin seeds 

dinner-  Vietnamese noodle salad 

(carrots, daikon, cucumber, romaine lettuce, rice noodles, chicken, green onions, peanuts)

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Breakfast—Homemade oatmeal with walnuts and berries. I cannot believe how good real oatmeal tastes and how vile flavored oatmeal packs taste in comparison. Also tea (NS).

Lunch—Big salad

Dinner—Gf/df pizza, pineapple

I’m kind of amazed that I had a no-chocolate day. I have also gotten tons of sleep for two whole nights and am betting there is a connection.

• Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with guava, banana, kiwi, blueberries, strawberries, apple, pear, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - The last of the baked egg rolls, a sliced cucumber, and mandarins.

Dinner - A huge salad with lots of things. Mixed greens, tofu, chickpeas, hemp seeds, roasted veggies (carrots, beets, cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash), scallions, garlic-stuffed olives, artichoke hearts, chopped peanuts. Possibly other things that I'm forgetting. Dressing was the Boulder Ranch wfpb ranch I'm not crazy about (too salty) mixed with a lot of green salsa, which was a pretty good combo. Also had a Dave's Killer Everything bagel.

• Like 3

Sunday-

bone broth

a snack bag of cheetos at church. 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Flaxseed muffin. Almond milk cream cheese. 

snack - apple with peanut chocolate butter 

dinner- burger with bacon, avocado, tomato, cheese, lettuce and gf bun (which I only ate half of). Some coleslaw which was surprisingly tasteless. I think that it needs some salt. I thought the same thing the last time I ate here but had forgotten. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3