Menu

baby to toddler chair high seat help, please

TravelingChris

My ddil wants a portable, attachable high seat type thing for my dgs who is 4 1/2 months old and sitting pretty well now and wanting food-- his teeth are starting to come in and all of my kids starting eating by this point too.  But looking on Amazon, I have no idea what kind would work for him from 4months to whenever they start sitting in regular chairs at the table.  Or do we just add a pillow at some point?  We only had high chairs- but we never lived in as cramped a house like they do.  They go from 3 in a small 3 bedroom house to 5, including a teenager and a very active 4 1/3 year old.  

Any suggestions?

Are you talking about the kind of seat that attaches to a dining room chair, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster-Green/dp/B00CSAWIOQ/ref=sr_1_22?crid=39PVA5CT8WEAU&keywords=toddler+hair+chair&qid=1647284080&sprefix=toddler+hair+chair%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-22

If he can sit upright, there is a belt that holds him in place. You can use the sliding tray to help angle them in as well.

or are you talking about the kind that attaches directly to the table: https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-QuickSeat-Hook-On-Chair-Graphite/dp/B07BVQBZDF/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2XP8VC19HBJQ5&keywords=toddler+high+chair+attach+to+table&qid=1647284120&sprefix=toddler+high+chair+attach+to+table%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-9

• Thanks 1

We used one like the fisher price one linked above. Not certain it was this exact one. My granddaughter spent half her time here while Mom was in nursing school. It worked from the time she was first eating food until she could reach the table without a booster. 

• Thanks 1

We had one like this and it was great. https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-FFJ02-SpaceSaver-High-Chair/dp/B071SKG127/ref=asc_df_B071SKG127/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241930895213&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18237456080366151206&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008801&hvtargid=pla-424164686331&psc=1

My mil had one like listed above and it was ok, but this one is softer and mine reclined so you could have baby at the table even before the eating stage just to socialize with the family. It would be better for a 4.5 month old since that small booster suggested above might not have enough support of baby isn’t sitting well.

• Thanks 1

I’m going to agree with others and suggest one that reclines.  That’s best for one so little learning to eat.  You can use it without the tray until they are ready to sit upright to eat.  Most of them can be used as a booster seat for toddlers.  Some have a height adjustment to fit the height of your table/chairs.

• Thanks 1

What about a highchair that would slide under the table like a normal chair and will grow with the child? That way the chair lives in the same footprint as the table.

Those chairs that clip to things and hang there freak me out.

https://www.amazon.com/Abiie-Adjustable-Highchair-Solution-Toddlers/dp/B00RLYG2S2/ref=psdc_166793011_t2_B071GGTYWP

• Thanks 1

The Chicco clip on one is rather nice and will work for a long while.

However, you might consider the stand alone Ikea seat.  (Antilope?) It is relatively small, but may not push all the way under the table. 

Our compromise was a raised wooden seat with a belt for a a child from about 6m to 18mo.  After that it was just the raised seat until about age 4.

• Thanks 1

I had something like this for my kids and it worked fine. Amazon.com : Graco DuoDiner LX High Chair, Converts to Dining Booster Seat, Metropolis : Childrens Highchairs : Baby

At around 2 or so I converted them to a booster. Amazon.com : OXO Tot Nest Booster Seat with Removable Cushion, Gray : Baby

That is going to last my kids until they are ready to just be in a chair. (I let my kids choose so at around 4-5 ish they start choosing between chair and the booster.)

If I had to go back I could get Amazon.com : Tripp Trapp High Chair from Stokke, Storm Grey - Adjustable, Convertible Chair for Children & Adults - Includes Baby Set with Removable Harness for Ages 6-36 Months - Ergonomic & Classic Design : Baby instead of the Graco. My friend had one and I like that you could just use it with your dining table. I think her baby started that at around 6months.

• Thanks 1

With older, we got a free-standing wooden high chair.  They were a little floppy in it at first - sometimes we fed them in their car seat or stroller until they got more sturdy.  It took less floor space than the plastic free-standing chairs.  With younger, we used a Bumbo chair for as long as I could fit them in it.  We were busier and it helped that it was so portable  - I could plop it down in the kitchen, on the porch, at a meeting at church - and it fit in the basket under the stroller.  They used the wood high chair for a while, but when we moved we gave that away and they used a fisher price thing that strapped to one of the chairs.  It's small and sits on a shelf for when I have tiny guests.  A friend had one of the Trip Trapp chairs and it was a great fit for them - their kid used it at least through elementary school (the last time I was at their house).  I considered it for kid 2, but our table didn't need any more chairs.