Menu

When your cheerleading child is one of two females in engineering and construction classes...

Sneezyone

We did two truths one lie as an intro activity in an English class I took. The students knew that I am a physics prof. 

1. I am a rock climber
2. I homeschooled my kids through high school
3. I am a competetive chess player.

Nobody guessed that chess was the lie.

FWIW, my DD has gotten a lot of cred for driving stick.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Always keep them off guard, LOL.

Also, not that it's about winning, but, the way to win 2 Truths and a Lie is to keep *everything plausible* as in your example. So often people play it with You Can't Top This craziness. And that's when the "tells" show.

I was very impressed by her choices. 🤣 She is more learned than I in the ways of socialization.

• Like 2

I can think of a couple of groups of people where this would be all over the map, lol!

1 hour ago, Pam in CT said:

Always keep them off guard, LOL.

Also, not that it's about winning, but, the way to win 2 Truths and a Lie is to keep *everything plausible* as in your example. So often people play it with You Can't Top This craziness. And that's when the "tells" show.

Typically true...my FIL would've been able to pull off some crazy ones. There were some things that were incongruent about him that were funny plus he had some six degrees of separation type things that were unexpected. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chiguirre said:

OP, don't you live close to the biggest naval base in the world? How did they not guess the obvious whopper?

Your guess is as good as mine!! The guys in the class were all...ooooohhh...it's b/c you're a girl. We didn't expect that. Meanwhile, DD zoomed the whole fam (and I do mean ZOOOMED) to Mongolian BBQ last night. I think I have whiplash.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Your guess is as good as mine!! The guys in the class were all...ooooohhh...it's b/c you're a girl. We didn't expect that. Meanwhile, DD zoomed the whole fam (and I do mean ZOOOMED) to Mongolian BBQ last night. I think I have whiplash.

When I was young, a lot of females (including me) drove stick shifts. Now, it's a lot less common in general. I personally didn't see the thrill of it and couldn't wait to get an automatic!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Selkie said:

When I was young, a lot of females (including me) drove stick shifts. Now, it's a lot less common in general. I personally didn't see the thrill of it and couldn't wait to get an automatic!

I think DD would like an auto but she didn't save up enough to afford a safe one so she *had* to learn to drive a manual. Life lessons, lol. DH and I both had manual cars as our first so we took turns teaching. 🙂

Edited by Sneezyone

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

It is clearly 2022 because, despite the pretty clear context clues that you are talking about a car, I sat here going -- so was she at Mongolian BBQ and everyone else was virtual on Zoom, but that would mean she's not part of the "whole family", or did they get take out and eat it on Zoom.  I was very befuddled.

I forgot this word used to mean something else.

Your daughter sounds awesome, even if my brain is not.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

It is clearly 2022 because, despite the pretty clear context clues that you are talking about a car, I sat here going -- so was she at Mongolian BBQ and everyone else was virtual on Zoom, but that would mean she's not part of the "whole family", or did they get take out and eat it on Zoom.  I was very befuddled.

I did the same thing. Had to re read it 🤪

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Totally honest misreading, lol. This was her dinner invite. I’m afraid I’ve set a horrible example, lol. @Pam in CT this is our standard group chat fare. 
08536D0C-E71A-423F-9348-54245CEE7EB6.thumb.png.cf41ec86b7bca933dad23d30330ce7db.pngC080D5E7-607D-4E33-AF9C-43E4D95D18D9.thumb.jpeg.65f5213b7df5921c7d2586798d1c41d4.jpeg

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Haha 2

Yay!

I just asked my engineering college kid what he would have guessed---he said he would never choose an option that implied that a woman did not have mad skillz. He assumed she could drive a stick shift. 🙂 

FWIW, while my high school kid says he sees fewer female students in his engineering, drafting, and electronics classes, my college kid reports much more representation. Hope she has an awesome semester!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yay!

I just asked my engineering college kid what he would have guessed---he said he would never choose an option that implied that a woman did not have mad skillz. He assumed she could drive a stick shift. 🙂 

FWIW, while my high school kid says he sees fewer female students in his engineering, drafting, and electronics classes, my college kid reports much more representation. Hope she has an awesome semester!

Love that! Thanks! Fortunately, DD is not at all discouraged. She's crazy excited about her course load. :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

I love playing that game-

I always use:

met my husband at a Grateful Dead show (true)

rode a camel in the Sahara desert or used to live in Morocco (true)

and another random thing (false)

so much fun 

Now I'm curious. Which show?

I assume you have a copy?

1. I have at least a thousand of hours of Grateful Dead music (which gets played with great frequency)

2. I've homeschooled all my children

3. Every single automobile I've driven as my primary vehicle has had a manual transmission

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Now I'm curious. Which show?

I assume you have a copy?

1. I have at least a thousand of hours of Grateful Dead music (which gets played with great frequency)

2. I've homeschooled all my children

3. Every single automobile I've driven as my primary vehicle has had a manual transmission

Bill

RFK Stadium in DC, summer 1995 

(right before Jerry died- we had a bunch of mail order tickets for the fall tour that never happened) 

not the best show, music-wise by far- but hey I met this cute guy who tagged along with my friend from Albany… 

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

RFK Stadium in DC, summer 1995 

(right before Jerry died- we had a bunch of mail order tickets for the fall tour that never happened) 

not the best show, music-wise by far- but hey I met this cute guy who tagged along with my friend from Albany… 

You did not happen to attend  the RFK show on June 24 1995 did you?

Please forgive the rabbit hole @Sneezyone

Bill

3 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

You did not happen to attend  the RFK show on June 24 1995 did you?

Please forgive the rabbit hole @Sneezyone

Bill

Hmmm I cannot remember if we were there both nights or just one. Probably both. Pretty sure we were there Sat and Sunday, so yes I guess I was.
I was supposed to drive all night home & work Monday  morning (wow to be young and stupid!!) but my car broke down near NYC and I had to call in after all.

Just now, Hilltopmom said:

Hmmm I cannot remember if we were there both nights or just one. Probably both. Pretty sure we were there Sat and Sunday, so yes I guess I was.
I was supposed to drive all night home & work Monday  morning (wow to be young and stupid!!) but my car broke down near NYC and I had to call in after all.

Did you hear the final singing of the song "Days Between?"

I am incapable of hearing this song without losing my composure. I sob every.single.time.

Bill