Menu

11th Grade Planning Thread 2022-2023

Gasp! Y'all, I can't believe I am going to have an 11th grader!! AAAAAH!  

This is more of a placeholder but I really appreciate these threads as they get me thinking of other things we could do/other ways to approach subjects.

So I am looking forward to seeing what you all are thinking about for next year!

Our tentative plans

• Government--homemade government using American Government: A Complete Coursebook plus updates I have worked on and any primary sources that we didn't finish this year
  • Economics--Glencoe Economics Today and Tomorrow--it's not super recent, but I will supplement with videos
  • Pre-Calculus--we will be using the Larson text plus videos that I purchased (Dana Mosley) OR ETA maybe we will are using the Brown text
  • Chemistry--Introductory Chemistry by Zumdahl with Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments. I do also own a Microchem kit. I haven't gone through the labs at all so that is very open to being changed.
  • Literature--Modern lit with House of Humane Letters
  • Composition--most likely at the community college. Not sure at all what we are doing after/before that. at local university
  • Art--continue drawing with my dad, 0.25 credit
  • Elective--TBD.  We could possibly get into a computer applications class at the community college? Or some kind of design program? Or computer programming? He could do Spanish again but I don't think he wants to. He will have four high school foreign language credits. We need to figure out possible future college major first and figure out what we might want to do in high school to meet gen ed requirements. 
  • Not for credit: continue ACT prep, Bible

Summer plans

• Personal Finance--Dave Ramsey's possibly with additions/subtractions, hopefully over the summer
  • YouScience plus surveys, etc. to figure out what we might want to be when we grow up. Possibly do some "career exploration" type stuff. Hopefully this will help to identify the open elective.
  • Start tentatively figuring out potential majors and potential schools
  • I will try not to completely lose it when I consider 1) how to pay for college, 2) if he can even go away to school, and 3) kid's Celiac disease and all the messiness of dealing with the colleges on that.  Seriously y'all, pray for me.
Edited by cintinative
  • Like 5

I'll jump in. My 11th grader will be my only high schooler next year! weird. Right now we're thinking:

Math: finish Algebra 2 at home first semester (he's on sort of weird math schedule, and is finishing geometry and about to start algebra 2 right now); dual enrollment pre-calc 2nd semester

Science: something dual enrollment. I'd like for him to take physics, but the web of prereqs means he can't until he does pre-calc, so he'll take something geology based (he's already done chemistry and bio); I think there's one on climate and one on landforms. He might take both, depending on how the first one goes

History: AP World at home

Spanish: dual enrollment

English: AP lang...I've done AP lit with 2 kids now, but this will be my first try at lang; he's my most likely to be an English major kid, so the plan is this for 11th and then lit in 12th

Electives: AP art history at home. something at our home school co-op--maybe art? whatever they have that he's interested in.

Extracurriculars: piano lessons, French horn lessons and playing with local youth symphony (it's possible he'll audition for another group, too), this year he did Shakespeare in the park with a local theater group--hoping he'll be able to do that again, too. 

• Like 2

This is for a kid not going to university. Probably will end up doing something trades-ish or maybe flight school, which does not have prerequisites where I live.

Math - MEP GCSE level (probably call it Essential Math, similar to what public schools offer here)

English - homemade literature & composition

Science - Life Science: Origins and Scientific Theory from Master Books

Economics - PAC

World Geography - A Beka

Electives - Church History (homemade) and Intro to Rhetoric (A Rulebook for Arguments)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 2:48 PM, cintinative said:

3) kid's Celiac disease and all the messiness of dealing with the colleges on that.  Seriously y'all, pray for me.

Hugs to you, momma! That would certainly be stressful. 
Is there a college close to home you could consider?

• Like 1

In the past week I've talked with my 10th grader and I think we have a plan, all subject to change as needed.  Kid has been happy with a mix of a few co-op classes with friends and classes done at home.  They are intending to do 8 credits.

Summer and fall

-1-credit computing class designed by my husband, to help kid explore working with hardware and software as possible careers (husband is a computer engineer).  

Fall only

-1/2 credit of Bible - we're going to use a guide to look at apocalyptic literature in the Bible

Year-long

- 1 credit English - likely taken at co-op - not sure which themes will be offered next year, may take an English AP

-1 credit Bio 2 - a class I teach, likely taken with friends at co-op

-1 credit Latin 5, with an eye towards the AP if it fits - taught online due to scheduling issues, but is a 1:1 tutorial with a co-op teacher - this year they have been working on translating Virgil

-1 credit World History - done at home - first semester will read thematic books like Salt, second semester will be student-chosen topics (so far they are considering Assassinations that changed history, Unintended consequences , and Defensive structures - an odd list, but if looked at over time should cover a lot of history - kid already has good survey-level knowledge to build on)

-1 credit AoPs calculus done at home - will study for AP

-1/2 credit speech class if offered at co-op

Spring semster

-1 credit dual enrollment - likely something fun like psychology or sociology

Edited to add extracurriculars - baseball, scouts, science olympiad, scholars bowl (the quiz bowl run by the local PBS station), youth group, may look into a part time job, but hard to schedule

Updated to add: We decided to do the DE class (psychology) in the fall.  The CC has an asynchronous online class so it's easy to schedule.  That will take us to 8 credits, which is plenty, but if kid doesn't find the CC class to be difficult  then we may do another in the spring.  Kid has already started reading the books for the DIY World History class, so if they get that class mostly done by Christmas break then they may be interested in adding something else in the spring.  Or not...they could be working on baseball and Science Olympiad and prepping for their Eagle project in the spring and they may be happy to have a lighter courseload.  

Edited by Clemsondana
  • Like 4

If all goes according to plan I'm not really homeschooling ever again come June. However, my youngest will be in 11th grade and this is our plan.

Summer Semester 2022

Modern States w/CLEP - American Government, College Mathematics, College Algebra

Fall Semester 2022 

Dual Enrollment: Spanish I, Anatomy & Physiology I, 2D Art

At Home: Modern States w/CLEP - College Composition

Spring Semester 2023 

Dual Enrollment: Spanish II, Anatomy & Physiology II, Drawing I, Art Appreciation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MagistraKennedy said:

Hugs to you, momma! That would certainly be stressful. 
Is there a college close to home you could consider?

Yes, and it might make sense for him to go there from a financial perspective too. He could live off campus (or commute from our house).  

• Like 1

Working on putting our plans in place --- I simply cannot believe we have come this far. Homeschooling was supposed to be an experiment. 😂

Already registered at our local cottage school:
Metaphysics 
Literature 10 (Anna Karanina, Hamlet, and Macbeth, as well as poetry)
Anatomy and Physiology
US History

Need to sign up:
Spanish II (via True North)

Still looking:
Geometry -- considering My Homeschool Math Classes or MPOA (waiting on schedule)

Extras/Electives:

She'll be working at the barn where she rides, as well as in her sister's business. (bakery)
I'd love for her to take some guitar lessons, depending on how the schedule plays out. 

Summer plans:
Riding horses as much as possible -- 🐴
I'd love for her to tackle a CLEP prep/test over the summer, but I'm having a hard time getting her buy in. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 2:48 PM, cintinative said:

• I will try not to completely lose it when I consider 1) how to pay for college, 2) if he can even go away to school, and 3) kid's Celiac disease and all the messiness of dealing with the colleges on that.  Seriously y'all, pray for me.

Prayers headed your way! I’m not sure where you live but Michigan state university has a great dining hall that has lots of allergy friendly options. We have one son who has celiac and one who has multiple allergies- I know what you are dealing with. Hugs to you! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jenkins said:

Prayers headed your way! I’m not sure where you live but Michigan state university has a great dining hall that has lots of allergy friendly options. We have one son who has celiac and one who has multiple allergies- I know what you are dealing with. Hugs to you! 

I joined a group on FB for parents of college students with Celiac. I am not sure if it has helped my worries or aggravated them. There are equal amounts of good stories and horrible ones.  😃

• Like 1

Next year's junior--

If he gets accepted at the Technical High School (1/2 day classes there...)

• 4 credits in Law Enforcement 1

and at home taught by me...

• Math-- Algebra 2 using Tobey and Slater's Intermediate Algebra
  • Science -- Conceptual Physics (Hewitt text) with lab
  • History & Lit -- Twentieth Century World History, using a mish-mash of Sonlight 300 and Ambleside Online's Year 11 and whatever I deem best. 

First half of the year will have a grammar refresher using Warriner's, (and some lit essays thrown in),  and the second half of the year will have a research paper or two tied to history topics. 

and at the local high school...

• cross country, indoor track, outdoor track. 

Arrrgh!  SAT's this year!!  Need to go find a testing site and date that works...  I think we'll shoot for a spring test, so he has more time to prep. 

He will also be working part time throughout the fall and spring. 

• Like 2

History of the Medieval World

Apologia science? 

Essentials in Writing/ Essentials in Literature—not sure what level yet.  I’ll probably look at the novel selection to decide.  Continue Winston Grammar series with siblings 

Talkbox Mom Japanese/Japanese from Zero

Everything American Government book 

AO riches, free reads, etc. 

Blacksmithing

Edited by Holly
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Complete overhaul of our original plans. I want to get back to basics and focus on hands-on/practical knowledge, follow rabbit trails, foster teamwork & togetherness, so we're doing some family-style unit studies as a group with lots of added activities.

Math: Giving Teaching Textbooks a try with Algebra 2.

Science/Nature:

• Guest Hollow's Anatomy
  • FtLoH Nature Study Club (refresher) / 1000 Hours' Add the Wonder

Social Studies:

• Canadian History
  • Early Modern - History Odyssey Level 2 (+ lots added)
  • UK & US history as it pertain to our Canadian history studies
  • Canadian Geography - Headphone History High School Geography
  • World Geography - Guest Hollow's High School

Language Arts: 

• Finishing LLfLotR
  • Spelling Wisdom
  • Vocab from Classical Roots? - I can't remember if he's finished the series
  • Brave Writer Help with High School; Boomerangs, Slingshots
  • Something for Logic

Extras:

• Masterpiece Society - Art School: Drawing 101 ?
  • Finish Breaking the French Barrier Level 1, move on to 2
  • Not sure what we'll use for Logic
  • Junior Canadian Rangers
  • Working our way through Home Ec for Everyone
  • We're refinishing our basement so he'll be learning as he goes, + Shop Class for Everyone
Edited by AsgardCA

On 1/29/2022 at 11:48 AM, cintinative said:

This is more of a placeholder but I really appreciate these threads as they get me thinking of other things we could do/other ways to approach subjects.

So I am looking forward to seeing what you all are thinking about for next year!

Our tentative plans

• Government--homemade government using American Government: A Complete Coursebook plus updates I have worked on and any primary sources that we didn't finish this year
  • Economics--Glencoe Economics Today and Tomorrow--it's not super recent, but I will supplement with videos
  • Pre-Calculus--we will be using the Larson text plus videos that I purchased (Dana Mosley)
  • Chemistry--Introductory Chemistry by Zumdahl with Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments. I do also own a Microchem kit. I haven't gone through the labs at all so that is very open to being changed.
  • Literature--Modern lit with House of Humane Letters
  • Composition--most likely at the community college. Not sure at all what we are doing after/before that.
  • Art--continue drawing with my dad, 0.25 credit
  • Elective--TBD.  We could possibly get into a computer applications class at the community college? Or some kind of design program? Or computer programming? He could do Spanish again but I don't think he wants to. He will have four high school foreign language credits. We need to figure out possible future college major first and figure out what we might want to do in high school to meet gen ed requirements. 
  • Not for credit: continue ACT prep, Bible

Summer plans

• Personal Finance--Dave Ramsey's possibly with additions/subtractions, hopefully over the summer
  • YouScience plus surveys, etc. to figure out what we might want to be when we grow up. Possibly do some "career exploration" type stuff. Hopefully this will help to identify the open elective.
  • Start tentatively figuring out potential majors and potential schools

You may want to reconsider composition at the CC at this time. If he scores well enough on the ACT for which he's prepping, then he may test out of the comp course altogether. That's time and money saved. Perhaps consider a rhetoric/speech course at home in preparation for a communications course (COMM-101?) at the CC after he's taken the ACT Exam.

After Precalculus with Mosely, CLEP Precalculus could be another avenue to explore in saving time and money, depending on which college accepts it for credit. 

ETA: Also, depending on your financial institution, some credit unions may offer scholarships ($500-$1,000) to students who take a finance course/seminar through them. 

Edited by Aloha2U
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aloha2U said:

You may want to reconsider composition at the CC at this time. If he scores well enough on the ACT for which he's prepping, then he may test out of the comp course altogether. That's time and money saved. Perhaps consider a rhetoric/speech course at home in preparation for a communications course (COMM-101?) at the CC after he's taken the ACT Exam.

After Precalculus with Mosely, CLEP Precalculus could be another avenue to explore in saving time and money, depending on which college accepts it for credit. 

ETA: Also, depending on your financial institution, some credit unions may offer scholarships ($500-$1,000) to students who take a finance course/seminar through them. 

I didn't realize you could test out of comp based on an ACT score.  How would I google that within the university's website? Test out options?  He's already taken the ACT and got a high score on English. ETA: I looked it up. He won't get to test out but he would be placed in the Advanced Freshman Comp class.  I am not sure what to think. It might be better for him?

I hadn't considered Precalculus for CLEP.  I did notice some of the majors we are looking at don't require a lot of math, and if they only required college algebra then I definitely was going to see about testing out. Thanks for pointing that out!

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

For a better choice of words than I previously used, his ACT or SAT scores could place him in a higher comp class or even allow him to bypass them entirely, earning him credit on his college transcript for the general education requirements in English (ENGL-101 and ENGL-102?) depending on the college.

For example, at the college he'll be attending, my young man earned English credit for the two aforementioned courses based on placement from his SAT score. At another college he was considering, they'd have only allowed immediate credit for ENGL-101 based on score placement but not ENGL_102 (not allowing for anyone to skip written communication courses entirely).

Edited by Aloha2U
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 7:14 PM, Aloha2U said:

For a better choice of words than I previously used, his ACT or SAT scores could place him in a higher comp class or even allow him to bypass them entirely, earning him credit on his college transcript for the general education requirements in English (ENGL-101 and ENGL-102?) depending on the college.

For example, at the college he'll be attending, my young man earned English credit for the two aforementioned courses based on placement from his SAT score. At another college he was considering, they'd have only allowed immediate credit for ENGL-101 based on score placement but not ENGL_102 (not allowing for anyone to skip written communication courses entirely).

This is what happened to me, years ago. I was able to leapfrog over Eng 101 and go into Eng 102. I didn't get credit for it, but then had to take a 200 level literature class. This was for my ADN (Associate's degree in Nursing). I've worked toward my BSN sporadically in my life, but certain colleges really wanted to see that Eng 101 credit. 🙄

20 minutes ago, MagistraKennedy said:

This is what happened to me, years ago. I was able to leapfrog over Eng 101 and go into Eng 102. I didn't get credit for it, but then had to take a 200 level literature class. This was for my ADN (Associate's degree in Nursing). I've worked toward my BSN sporadically in my life, but certain colleges really wanted to see that Eng 101 credit. 🙄

I'm sort of confused about this very thing. I will have to wait until we talk to the coordinator for college credit plus at UC, but it appears that we would not test out of the Comp 101 but would go into their special more advanced comp class (123 or something like that--they added other elements to it like some sort of service project, etc.). What I am not clear on is if that class would transfer to another university as comp 101.  I am not sure we will end up at UC, so it is important to me that it transfers.  But I need to ask because this seems to be a new course and I don't know what they are doing with DE students.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I'm sort of confused about this very thing. I will have to wait until we talk to the coordinator for college credit plus at UC, but it appears that we would not test out of the Comp 101 but would go into their special more advanced comp class (123 or something like that--they added other elements to it like some sort of service project, etc.). What I am not clear on is if that class would transfer to another university as comp 101.  I am not sure we will end up at UC, so it is important to me that it transfers.  But I need to ask because this seems to be a new course and I don't know what they are doing with DE students.

It's odd 🤷‍♀️ --- when I was looking at pursing my BSN, most schools just looked at the 6 hours of English credit and moved right on. There was only that told me that I would have to take Eng 101. 

Can you plug the class into the transfer equivalency tool for UC and see what comes up? https://www.uc.edu/aas/creditevaluation/equivalency.html

6 minutes ago, MagistraKennedy said:

It's odd 🤷‍♀️ --- when I was looking at pursing my BSN, most schools just looked at the 6 hours of English credit and moved right on. There was only that told me that I would have to take Eng 101. 

Can you plug the class into the transfer equivalency tool for UC and see what comes up? https://www.uc.edu/aas/creditevaluation/equivalency.html

It looks like this tool shows you what transfers in, not what transfers out. Of course, we would need to have some idea of what other colleges we are looking at for that. LOL. It looks like I can put in the "new" class and check in Transferology.

1 minute ago, cintinative said:

It looks like this tool shows you what transfers in, not what transfers out. Of course, we would need to have some idea of what other colleges we are looking at for that. LOL. It looks like I can put in the "new" class and check in Transferology.

oh --- I read it as you wanted to make sure it transferred IN to UC. Whoops. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are still mulling over ds's line-up for 11th... 

My LAST high schooler! I can't believe we are nearing the end of our homeschool journey.

Math:  Mr.H live class (Alg. II)

History:  Government; full year (I am teaching this at Co-op)

Science:  Forensic Science w/lab (at home)... using Oak Meadow's curriculum.

English:  A mix-match of things for fall semester - Advanced Writing (7 Sisters) and/or Abeka Grammar & Composition VI; Vocabulary; Essentials in Literature (maybe)... Spring:  most likely taking ENG 111 and continue with some things from fall semester. 

Spanish II:  We may use Abeka or Fluenz (took Spanish I at Co-op this past year and was not a good experience.) May just get a good solid foundation so he'll be prepared to take with dual enrollment at CC Senior year.

Health & Personal Fitness:  7 Sisters curriculum

Public Speaking:  taking this at Co-op; involving a lot of writing as well. 

-Would love for him to master typing so writing essays don't take as long...

-Continuing Art and Wood Carving Club at Co-op. 

-Job:  Farm hand at local farm

-Continuing the Explorer's group with our local city police department. He plans to follow a career in criminal justice/law enforcement and this group participates in volunteer jobs around the community. He also gets first hand career discovery training and physical training through this group twice a month. 

• Like 2

I'm so far behind on planning this year. Usually by now I've purchased everything and am making lesson plans. This year I'm still undecided on a few things! 

English: Literature from OK History, possibly IEW or EIW for writing component, but also considering The Power in Your Hands.

Math: TT Algebra 2

Science: Discovering Design with Chemistry, done at co-op

History: Oklahoma History using multiple resources, with literature and field trips

Foreign language: ASL at co-op

Electives: Christian Light Home Economics, homeschool choir, Bible

• Like 1

I am so late planning for the fall.  Usually by now I am already rethinking everything I already had planned, but DS has been waffling back and forth on whether or not he wanted to do classes at our local CC, so I put off any planning.  But he finally decided he wanted to stay home, so now I am contemplating what to do.

Bible/Apologetics - night time discussions with dad using Understanding the Culture

Math - TT Algebra 2

Science - Astronomy

History - American (still working out what we are using for our main source)

Literature - American (still working on the book list)

Grammar - ?  (he needs help)

Career Exploration

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve just finalized class registration at the community college, so now I can fill in the blanks. 

At the cc for this Fall:  World civ 1 and English composition 1. Spring (if fall goes well): intro to psychology, English composition 2, intro to sustainable agriculture (all asynchronous except for sustainable ag, which is done on the campus farm)

At home: TT Alg 2, Friendly Chemistry, ASL University, mom-selected lit. Probably a Bible study+devotional books. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

We’ve just finalized class registration at the community college, so now I can fill in the blanks. 

At the cc for this Fall:  World civ 1 and English composition 1. Spring (if fall goes well): intro to psychology, English composition 2, intro to sustainable agriculture (all asynchronous except for sustainable ag, which is done on the campus farm)

At home: TT Alg 2, Friendly Chemistry, ASL University, mom-selected lit. Probably a Bible study+devotional books. 

has your dc done dual enrollment before? We could do two classes in the fall but I am anxious about jumping in like that with an otherwise full load.  My kid would also have an outsourced lit class, pre calculus, chemistry, government, plus Bible and art (1 hour a week) at home. So, similar to your dc.

46 minutes ago, cintinative said:

has your dc done dual enrollment before? We could do two classes in the fall but I am anxious about jumping in like that with an otherwise full load.  My kid would also have an outsourced lit class, pre calculus, chemistry, government, plus Bible and art (1 hour a week) at home. So, similar to your dc.

No, this is our first semester. I was waffling over if it was too much, but one of her classes is an intro to composition, and I don’t think it’ll be that demanding. Also, they’re both asynchronous, so we’ll have flexibility. (I could also be completely wrong, lol. Dd isn’t strong academically.). My though is, they’re just replacing classes that we would’ve been doing at home anyway, so…idk. This fall will be our sink or swim. 😉

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Middle will be 11th grade this week. She is still struggling mental and physical health wise, so unsure how much this will need to be adjusted. I work 2 part time jobs, so it'll be tight with her and younger sister both doing high school, but we'll muddle through.

English - BYL 11 for Literature, and my own concoction for creative writing: so far, I've used bits and pieces of The Creative Writer, Stephen King's On Writing, Writing Tools, and Seize the Story.

English Elective - History of the English Language BYL 11

Math - Learn Math Fast Algebra II and ACT prep

History - BYL 11 (World History 2)

Science - Chemistry through CLRC

Foreign Language - Arabic I through CLRC (she finished German 3 last year and wanted to try Arabic this year)

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2022 at 10:53 AM, Murrayshire said:

Science:  Forensic Science w/lab (at home)... using Oak Meadow's curriculum.

@MurrayshireMy current sophomore might want to do forensic science next year and I was wondering if you could let me know how this pairing is going for you, and what text(s) you are using.