Menu

Dr. Hive - runny nose as a first sign of omicron?

Kanin

Hi all, I'm at school and mildly freaking out. My nose was a tiny bit stuffed up when I left for work today. This is not unusual with the forced air heat at my house. But now, my nose has been runny since I got here and hour ago... like faucet-runny! Usually when I have any type of virus, a sore throat is the first sign that something is brewing, but I don't have a sore throat. 

I'm on super alert obviously, but this is definitely unusual. I don't feel sick at all though. 

I guess I'll go speak to the school nurse... 

• Sad 5

Yes and also not. Sigh. This virus has too many symptoms. I will say though that if I get stuffed up from forced air heat, often when I unstuff, it is a crazy faucet because my body seems to think it had to make a gallon of mucus to counteract a small amount of stuffiness. It is maddening. Calm down body. A little stuffy is not the end of the universe.

OP, I hope you don't have covid! Hugs

• Like 4

Well, school nurse said she couldn't do a test because we really need to save them, and that a runny nose is a "low concern" symptom. Temp was 98.7. I told her that it's usually 97 something, but she wasn't worried. Back to sniffling! I could leave if I was really concerned, but I just don't know.

Thanks for commiserating! 

• Sad 7

Ugh!

Honestly, I think she’s wrong but I know as a teacher you are in a lose-lose situation. 😞 Any chance you can take sick days tomorrow and Friday, giving you 5 days off with the holiday? Because whether it’s covid (all too probable) or a cold, stuck in a classroom with kids isn’t good for anyone. 

I hope you can take care of yourself! Sending you virtual soup and hugs.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 7

I hope it's nothing, but I agree with @MEmama that if you don't feel back to normal tomorrow morning, I hope you will think about taking tomorrow and Friday off so you can recover. You've already set the wheels in motion by going to the nurse and letting her know you weren't feeling quite right, so take advantage of that tomorrow if you feel like you're coming down with something. 

Don't be a hero. Even if this turns out to be nothing more than a little cold, having a cold weakens your immune system and might make you more likely to catch Covid at work, so don't feel guilty about taking care of yourself! And if, heaven forbid, this is actually Covid, it's so important to make sure you don't let yourself get run down.

Sending hugs and lots of hopeful thoughts that this will turn out to be nothing!!!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Honestly, I think she’s wrong but I know as a teacher you are in a lose-lose situation. 😞 Any chance you can take sick days tomorrow and Friday, giving you 5 days off with the holiday? Because whether it’s covid (all too probable) or a cold, stuck in a classroom with kids isn’t good for anyone. 

Yeah, I'm heading out! I have an easy afternoon anyway, so I don't even need coverage. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I hope it's nothing, but I agree with @MEmama that if you don't feel back to normal tomorrow morning, I hope you will think about taking tomorrow and Friday off so you can recover. You've already set the wheels in motion by going to the nurse and letting her know you weren't feeling quite right, so take advantage of that tomorrow if you feel like you're coming down with something. 

Definitely! Luckily Friday is a no-students day, so it's no big deal to stay home. 

The annoying thing is that I feel fine, but this stupid nose is impossible! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Definitely! Luckily Friday is a no-students day, so it's no big deal to stay home. 

The annoying thing is that I feel fine, but this stupid nose is impossible! 

I was just thinking about this, and I had a day last week where my nose was ridiculously runny, and I was starting to worry about it, too. I have no idea what it was, because I was much better the next day, so all I can figure was that it was from either something weird in the air or the dramatic weather changes we were having. I don't think I had any fever, but I didn't think to take my temperature, so I don't really know. My normal temperature is around 97-something, too, so I know how frustrating it is when people don't take it seriously when your temperatureisn't what other people would consider to be a "real fever."

I hope you end up being fine, too!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kanin said:

At home, Binax negative.... will try again tomorrow.

I got tests at Walgreens. Three boxes for $85, ugh. There were three women in line, and all three of us were buying Binax tests, and nothing more. It was spooky. 

Yay for the negative test but seriously, $85?! 

And yeah, that everyone was there just for tests sounds depressing. 

I think I read that insurance is going to start covering tests— not sure if that has started already but might be worth looking into. I’m furious that they are so expensive here. DS can get them for 3-4 euro at any grocery (well, when they are in stock). 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kanin said:

At home, Binax negative.... will try again tomorrow.

My son and daughter both had something with a runny nose that wouldn't quit.  Both took several covid tests, all negative.  Never got really sick, just the runny nose.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Very weird!

Do you have a humidifier? I finally bought one this winter and I’m finding it’s really helpful on my sinuses. Also, the kitties don’t get shocked anymore when we pet them. Lol

I do have a humidifier... I should dig it out. LOL on shocking the kitties! I always feel so bad when that happens!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Hope you feel better today!

My mom’s first symptom was (is) a runny nose. She’s got sore throat and cough now, too, but it started with runny nose. She’s positive.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for more symptoms. Luckily I can just stay home until Monday, which is longer than our school quarantine period anyway. I might get a PCR just for peace of mind. Hope your mom gets through it quickly and easily!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Also a teacher. You know, my nose is fine at home but something about being in the N95 makes it a little runny at school. Not like a water faucet though--just a little runnier. Maybe the pressure from the nose clip, maybe the increased humidity inside the mask.

I've noticed that, too. Yesterday my nose was running down my face onto my chin, all inside the mask. It was so disgusting! I couldn't handle it. 

I don't like the humidity inside the mask... but it would be great for someone with a chronically dry nose!

• Like 2