Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

On 12/1/2023 at 4:23 PM, wathe said:

I think I might ask to see a copy of the written policy.   (Dollars-to-donuts it doesn't actually exist, or doesn't actually say what the staff think it says).  If there really is a policy that prohibits mask use during donation, I might follow-up with a letter or email to the medical director, because that doesn't make any medical sense.  

I’m trying to figure out my next steps, and asking for the written policy is a great idea, thanks!

Update, @wathe: The guy checking me in basically lied. I have a number for a supervisor on call if I try again and run into trouble. 

On 12/1/2023 at 4:28 PM, wathe said:

Shaded area with dashed line is incomplete data to be interpreted with caution, but tracks with the giant uptick in covid admissions we've seen in the hospital over the past 3 weeks or so.  I think provisional data will prove true.

I wish the local hospitals would start masking again. Staffing shortages are becoming a problem. What a surprise! /s

Edited by kbutton
  • Like 1

Just now, kbutton said:

I wish the local hospitals would start masking again. Staffing shortages are becoming a problem. What a surprise! /s

Where I am, hospital staff have been required to mask while providing care, and masks for everyone in select higher-risk departments (emerg, dialysis, oncology etc) here since about mid-September.  Thank goodness -- otherwise we would be much worse off, I think.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, wathe said:

Regional wastewater report is somewhat eye-popping this week:

image.thumb.png.b3fa45c98aa85376ea0c3ac348e2f44b.png

Shaded area with dashed line is incomplete data to be interpreted with caution, but tracks with the giant uptick in covid admissions we've seen in the hospital over the past 3 weeks or so.  I think provisional data will prove true.

Wow. That would track with what I’m seeing locally, with a lot of people quite suddenly down with Covid again. 

On 11/23/2023 at 1:24 PM, Matryoshka said:

Dh finally got covid. On Thanksgiving Day. Sigh. He started coughing last night, and assured me it was 'just a cold.'  I wore a mask to bed.

He finally tested just before we headed out to Thanksgiving dinner.  Yep, Covid.  Sigh. I'm negative... so far. 

I was thinking of you in the middle of the night, wondering how your dh fared and if you stayed healthy. I hope you are both well!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I found the comment by Kevin Huff about the pneumonia outbreak in China particularly interesting. He suggests that China did not have generalized lockdowns (only targeted covid lockdowns) and did not surpress RSV and flu in the past couple of years, so an explanation for the increased pneumonia cases based on large-scale "immunity debt" would be incorrect. (I haven't had a chance to look at the links he provided).

• Like 2

The China situation seems kind of puzzling to me. Even if it’s immune damage that’s suddenly allowed the bacteria to take off, why did everyone simultaneously experience that? Like, while I’ve seen some friends have low immunity and lots of infections post-Covid many haven’t really experienced that at all. 

2 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

Have we ever heard one of our main government health leaders (Walensky, Cohen, Jha?) be that forthcoming?

No we have not. That was excellent and straightforward and I wish this message was being clearly put forth everywhere. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Can you remind me what the masking rules are there in hospitals? I notice it says staff can return to work after five days, and I’m wondering if they’re requiring N95s at that point or just letting them come back with no masks and not testing negative. 

There was a really interesting MedCram video posted yesterday in which Dr. Roger Seheult discusses a hospitalized covid patient he treated. The patient was on 100% oxygen and was on the verge of needing intubation when Seheult persuaded the hospital to allow the patient to be taken outside for 30 mins/day of sunlight. He rapidly improved and was discharged 5 days after they started sunlight therapy. Obviously that is anecdotal, but Seheult cites tons of papers on the effect of sunlight on the immune system and discusses some of the biological mechanisms involved in some detail. He's also done several other videos on the effects of sunlight and near-infrared radiation on health, illness, and immunity.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

There was a really interesting MedCram video posted yesterday in which Dr. Roger Seheult discusses a hospitalized covid patient he treated. The patient was on 100% oxygen and was on the verge of needing intubation when Seheult persuaded the hospital to allow the patient to be taken outside for 30 mins/day of sunlight. He rapidly improved and was discharged 5 days after they started sunlight therapy. Obviously that is anecdotal, but Seheult cites tons of papers on the effect of sunlight on the immune system and discusses some of the biological mechanisms involved in some detail. He's also done several other videos on the effects of sunlight and near-infrared radiation on health, illness, and immunity.

I hope this will be studied more. My sister has an immune disorder, and her general physician insists that she sits outside with as much skin exposed as she can stand for 30 minutes a day. It is chilly right now on the Mediterranean, but she still does it for as long as she can stand. She also walks as much as possible instead of taking the car so that she exposed to sunlight that much more. She feels it has made big difference.

I have also noted that in my determination to spend more time outdoors despite being a naturally more inside kind of person, I see so many positives physically. I would love to see a lot more study of sunlight and immune function.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I hope this will be studied more. My sister has an immune disorder, and her general physician insists that she sits outside with as much skin exposed as she can stand for 30 minutes a day. It is chilly right now on the Mediterranean, but she still does it for as long as she can stand. She also walks as much as possible instead of taking the car so that she exposed to sunlight that much more. She feels it has made big difference.

I have also noted that in my determination to spend more time outdoors despite being a naturally more inside kind of person, I see so many positives physically. I would love to see a lot more study of sunlight and immune function.

One of the top researchers in photobiomodulation (pbm) is Michael Hamblin and he has written quite a bit about it already.

If a person can’t get outside, they could opt to use a device that emits near infrared light and red light. You can find wrap around pbm vests/belts for less than $100. They also make stand alone devices. I have several of these including a set of glasses that were developed by a London research institute to keep retinas healthy. I think they’re terrific.

• Like 2

We have now reached the time of year when DH’s coworkers are dropping like flies, and mysteriously, no one thanking him for his masking, but they are wanting him to volunteer to have no days off as thanks for staying healthy.

We are trying to hold back the snark given that he sometimes has to eat around coworkers and can’t avoid it (same for two other family members), but seriously, this is simple cause and effect. 

I think anyone masking everywhere they go who also works in healthcare needs a fat bonus right now.

If a hospital has a free bed, it’s iffy whether they can staff it or get the room cleaned to put you in it, but sure, it’s so much better than last year. 

/end rant

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

I am rewatching Sci fi shows from the 90's and 00's and I am really annoyed with how well outbreaks are handled and how crappy of a job done during covid by everyone whoncould have done something. 

Some states have laws on the books about spreading viruses. I really really wish these would be enforced. The fact that no one has bothered to, just reinforces that those laws were designed to target LGBTQ and minorities.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SHP said:

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/policies/law/states/exposure.html

"In many cases, this same standard is not applied to other infectious, treatable diseases."

You reminded me of an article I read this morning about long Covid and it discussed the ways it’s similar to HIV https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/10/in-cleveland-and-beyond-researchers-begin-to-unravel-the-mystery-of-long-covid-19.html

McComsey, who has spent the last two decades studying HIV, said that the data they have found so far paints a picture that is eerily familiar.

“Now I just look at it, and I’m like gosh, it’s like a déjà vu,” McComsey said.

If the idea that the behavior of the SARS-CoV-2 virus might have any similarities to HIV is news to you, you aren’t alone. But McComsey said that for the HIV researchers who have made the crossover to studying this new coronavirus, the similarities that emerged were unmistakable.

To be clear, McComsey isn’t suggesting that the viruses themselves are similar. Coronaviruses are not retroviruses like HIV, nor are they sexually transmitted like HIV. But it’s the way they make the people they infect sick that caught her attention. It hides in the body and continues to wreak havoc in the various organ system by driving inflammation and disrupting the immune response.

“HIV patients don’t die from the virus itself. They die from immune activation – from the high levels of inflammation that causes cancer, heart disease, liver and kidney disease,” she said.

“The only reason we cannot cure HIV is because the virus hides where the HIV drugs can’t go in. So it continues to fuel this high inflammation. That’s why somebody like me who has been studying HIV for the last 20 years found that COVID is extremely similar to HIV. It’s a virus that produces a lot of inflammation. We see a lot of conditions that are known to stem from inflammation, and now we have some evidence that it persists in different organs.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, KSera said:

The only reason we cannot cure HIV is because the virus hides where the HIV drugs can’t go in. So it continues to fuel this high inflammation. That’s why somebody like me who has been studying HIV for the last 20 years found that COVID is extremely similar to HIV. It’s a virus that produces a lot of inflammation. We see a lot of conditions that are known to stem from inflammation, and now we have some evidence that it persists in different organs.”

This is the clearest explanation I’ve seen that relates HIV and Covid. Thanks!

• Like 1

I went for a 5k walk with my friend on Monday (outdoors) - she's tested positive today after seeing someone with Covid prob on Sat or Sun (can't remember which day). Her family members haven't tested positive. Do you think it's likely I would catch it from her from that walk?

Saw another person today who explained he was masked because his wife has Covid. There is definitely a big uptick locally. And we have so much going on for the next few days. It's mostly outdoors, but still. 

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

I went for a 5k walk with my friend on Monday (outdoors) - she's tested positive today after seeing someone with Covid prob on Sat or Sun

Did she test negative before the positive? If she was still negative when you walked, and was symptom free, I’d feel pretty good about it.

Eta: i’d be staying masked for now though around any high risk people until you’ve tested negative a few more days down the road.  

Edited by KSera

FYI  - very short incubation time, probably.

I was last out in public  - at an airy and very lightly populated swimming pool - last Friday. Then we met our daughter on Monday afternoon, when she had mild cold symptoms.  By Tuesday she was feeling worse, and that night tested positive. 

I started to get a mild cough and sniffle on Wednesday afternoon, felt rough on Thursday and tested strongly positive today - Friday.

So I could have picked up Covid earlier, but it's at least possible that incubation was only 48 hours.

I have mentally signed myself off work for next week  - I'm keen to convalesce properly to reduce as much as I can the risk of Long Covid. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Sad 12

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

So I could have picked up Covid earlier, but it's at least possible that incubation was only 48 hours.

I have mentally signed myself off work for next week  - I'm keen to convalesce properly to reduce as much as I can the risk of Long Covid.

48 hours is definitely in the known (and currently maybe pretty typical) range. I’m sorry you got sick and hope you will be back at 100% before long. Your plan to rest and recuperate as long as possible is a good one. 

• Like 4

My dd is sick. We masked at church but she chatted with some people outside one of whom was sick. She’s negative for Covid but will retest as she seems fairly unwell. This is the second time we’ve had someone sick when they’ve been masked indoors but exposed to someone ill at closer range outdoors. 

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My dd is sick. We masked at church but she chatted with some people outside one of whom was sick. She’s negative for Covid but will retest as she seems fairly unwell. This is the second time we’ve had someone sick when they’ve been masked indoors but exposed to someone ill at closer range outdoors. 

I’m sorry. I assume you mean both she and the one who was ill were unmasked at close range outdoors? I may need to start keeping my mask on when talking to people outside. Usually I take it off outside unless I’m in a crowd. I hope it’s just a cold and she’s all better soon. 

We lost an extended family member last night (not to Covid), and went to spend time with her immediate family. We didn’t mask. We knew it was a risk, but felt it was  worth it.

Two hours in, we found out that another family member, who sat at the bedside all day and night, for days, with the person we were visiting, has Covid and is miserably sick. Person we were visiting then said she’s not feeling well. I was beside her all afternoon. DH and I left soon after. We hugged her goodbye and I’d guess she has a fever. I hope not.

Came home and used Nozzin and mouthwash, and now depending on the vaccine.

I really can’t imagine getting sick right now, on top of on-going health issues. Crossing fingers.

• Sad 12

5 hours ago, Spryte said:

We lost an extended family member last night (not to Covid), and went to spend time with her immediate family. We didn’t mask. We knew it was a risk, but felt it was  worth it.

Two hours in, we found out that another family member, who sat at the bedside all day and night, for days, with the person we were visiting, has Covid and is miserably sick. Person we were visiting then said she’s not feeling well. I was beside her all afternoon. DH and I left soon after. We hugged her goodbye and I’d guess she has a fever. I hope not.

Came home and used Nozzin and mouthwash, and now depending on the vaccine.

I really can’t imagine getting sick right now, on top of on-going health issues. Crossing fingers.

I’m sorry Sprite 😞 

• Thanks 1