Menu

2021 Year in Review - Day 12

Granny_Weatherwax

I didn't learn any new skills at work, but got to apply the managerial and technical skills I have in a new area of the business.

My crocheting speed increased.

I learned to proof-read my daughter's university papers to check that the correct style rules (mostly Harvard or APA 7th depending on the course) have been correctly applied (these cover formatting, in-text referencing, reference lists, etc).  

I tried a few new recipes in the hopes of improving my cooking skills, but I make 'functional' food - tasty enough because I'm following a good recipe, but I just don't have the aptitude to be creative in the kitchen.   My eldest daughter, on the other hand, is an absolute wizz.  She can open the pantry, haul out whatever's there and creates amazing dishes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

New skills:   basic toilet repair (the flapper and arm),   changing break light on car,   where to pay car taxes,  finding a mechanic,  how to tell when tires need air,  how to tell when tires need replacing,  how to teach my teen to drive (thank you to the hive for this skill),  the pride that comes with mastering new and big tasks.    There are still many new things on my plate to learn so this list will grow as time goes by, and that is both good and intimidating!

Lastly, and this one deserves it's own line,   how to get a jammed drawer unstuck without tearing apart the desk! (edit: all credit for this also goes to the hive)

Edited by Ditto
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have worked on my French in Duolingo for going on a whole year of daily practice. While I did know French before, I have improved my accuracy a lot and usually remember the gender of objects. 

I have improved my phone conversation skills 100%. I used to be pretty phobic of calling people, especially if I anticipate a Conflict but it bothers me practically zero now. So someone might not like what I have to say; Oh well. 

I am better at painting watercolor. I have learned quite a lot about that this year. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Smocking.

I always thought it was really hard, but made a vintage baby romper, with smocking. 

That’s so neat! My grandmother used to hand-smock many of our baby clothes and dresses. My mother, though she was a very outstanding seamstress, never learned to do it; I think she always thought it would be too hard. So the knowledge (in the family) of how to hand-smock died out when my grandmother died. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mom31257 said:

How to use a leaf blower

How to set up a spreadsheet to automatically check stock prices

Hand sewing a quilt block; designing one was a fraction project I assigned, so I decided to sew one. @TheReader helped me with the design and measurements.

8C59DE00-8EF0-41FE-924F-53378F72F606.thumb.jpeg.11748676a8b9f949037261d77129b6a2.jpeg

I love the happy colours!

• Thanks 1