Menu

Quick dry bath towels?

Hoggirl

We need to replace our towels, and I am wanting something less hefty than what we have now because they take forever to dry.  

Should I look at Turkish towels? What do I want?  I really don’t know a whole lot about towels, but I figured someone here would!

TIA! 

Edited by Hoggirl

4 hours ago, HazelAnne said:

We love our Turkish towels too!

They are thin, so they dry quickly and take up less space in the wash. I also mix them in with other loads of laundry (which I didn’t feel like I could do with traditional towels). 

Are all Turkish towels the same?  What should I look for?  Do you recall where you bought yours/what brand they are?

• Like 1

I have flat-weave towels that are similar to Turkish towels except made of linen and without fringe. I bought them from this seller on Etsy, although there are tons of other people on there selling linen towels. They're not cheap, but they're extremely absorbent, dry super quickly, and I expect the ones I have to last my lifetime (if not longer). I've read that linen is naturally anti-bacterial; I don't know if there's any science behind that, but it's true that my linen towels never stink — not even when DS leaves a damp towel in a crumpled heap on his floor for several days. I will never go back to terry cloth towels, and it kind of amazes me that they ever became the standard when they get smelly and ratty so quickly and aren't nearly as absorbent as Turkish and linen towels.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The brand I purchased was Cacala. I got them 6 years ago, when they were first available on amazon.  Other brands are out now, but I don't know much about them.  My Cacala have held up extremely well.  There's been no pilling or threadworn spots. When our dryer broke a couple of years ago, then went from the washer to the drying rack and dried in a couple of hours, even in a cold and high humidity house. They are by no means plush, but they have continued to soften with time and use, and they were never stiff or scratchy to begin with. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HazelAnne said:

Weird quote thing happened when I was replying. Sorry!

Thanks for sharing the brand @prairiewindmomma

I must say I am quite intrigued by those linen towels you linked to @Corraleno! I like the fact that they don’t have fringe.  There are MANY from which to choose as well - thank you! 

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 1

Making notes for when I need to replace towels. Dh and I have 3 from Ikea we use and they have help up fine but are very bulky and huge (that is why dh loves them). For our other bathrooms I have towels we got when dh's grandmother died, she died at least 10 yrs ago and I've got no idea how old they were then. The thicker ones are still ok but the thinner ones are on their last legs. I'd like to start switching to something that doesn't take so long to dry.

16 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The brand I purchased was Cacala. I got them 6 years ago, when they were first available on amazon.  Other brands are out now, but I don't know much about them.  My Cacala have held up extremely well.  There's been no pilling or threadworn spots. When our dryer broke a couple of years ago, then went from the washer to the drying rack and dried in a couple of hours, even in a cold and high humidity house. They are by no means plush, but they have continued to soften with time and use, and they were never stiff or scratchy to begin with. 

I have two of the same brand. I've had one 3 and one 5 years. I agree with the above. I use one for my body and one for my hair (long-thick curly hair that I never blow dry).  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARETCAS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by elegantlion

I have some large waffle linen bath sheets from NotPerfectLinen on etsy. I've had them a few years and I love them because they're absorbent and dry so quickly. They feel a bit softer than regular linen towels IMO, but take a bit of adjustment when using because they are thin.

No one else in my household will try them though! They prefer thick cotton towels.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I have flat-weave towels that are similar to Turkish towels except made of linen and without fringe. I bought them from this seller on Etsy, although there are tons of other people on there selling linen towels. They're not cheap, but they're extremely absorbent, dry super quickly, and I expect the ones I have to last my lifetime (if not longer). I've read that linen is naturally anti-bacterial; I don't know if there's any science behind that, but it's true that my linen towels never stink — not even when DS leaves a damp towel in a crumpled heap on his floor for several days. I will never go back to terry cloth towels, and it kind of amazes me that they ever became the standard when they get smelly and ratty so quickly and aren't nearly as absorbent as Turkish and linen towels.

Which ones? They have so many and I would like to order some.