Menu

What chair would go with this couch?

ktgrok

I found this on Facebook Marketplace for $50, an older lady in a ritzy neighborhood is selling it. As y'all know, we have NO couch in our front room (living room - but none of us can remember to distinguish between living and family room now that we have both, so I call it the front room or if I'm being silly, the "parlor"). I have a big dining table that came with the house that is not quite cherry...a bit browner. My mom will be giving us her cherry hutch when she sells her house, and an antique cherry desk. We have their gorgeous greenish onyx table. And no where to sit, lol. For now, we will try this. It may end up moved to the family room eventually, but for $50 it is a place to have people sit on thanksgiving - which we are hosting! And a good way to see how the pets handle the leather (or vice versa). 

But if we keep it in there, I'll want a chair of some sort too. Something smaller, since this is huge and there already is a lot of stuff going in that room. Luckily the dining table has benches, so if we have a lot of people in there for some reason some people can sit on the bench, just facing toward the couch instead of facing toward the table. And that may be fine for a while, but I'd like to keep my eye out for a chair as well. So, what on EARTH would I put with this?

image.png.1f8993861a192fc292b22911a9bfed99.png

• Like 1

And for anyone wondering, still have not replaced the couch that smells like dog...but I did use a spot carpet cleaner machine on it which helped! And I bought a slip cover that doesn't look great, but at least I know it is clean, and it is easy to wash and put on and off. And super soft - it's jersey so soft like jersey sheets. Eventually we will buy something for that room, but right now I think I'll wash the actual slip covers for the couch, then put the ugly soft slip cover over that for every day and take it off when hosting a party or whatever, lol. 

I love that color! It’s very neutral and you can play off of it with a lot of colors. It also has dominant straight and curvy lines so you have a lot of styles and shapes you could pair with it. I would avoid brown and red if you can help it just because cherry furniture tends to be more purpley or orangey than a true red and you have a lot of brown going on.

Can u train the dogs to stay off of the couch? 

• Like 1

I love it!  It’s neutral and would go with most things. What comes to mind because of your coloring is a spring mix of light green, aqua, and pale yellow, but anything that would make you happy would probably work.  I’d avoid beige and brown also. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I love that color! It’s very neutral and you can play off of it with a lot of colors. It also has dominant straight and curvy lines so you have a lot of styles and shapes you could pair with it. I would avoid brown and red if you can help it just because cherry furniture tends to be more purpley or orangey than a true red and you have a lot of brown going on.

Can u train the dogs to stay off of the couch? 

yes, but the cats I cannot. They don't claw up the furniture, but do jump onto it and sometimes dig claws in. So we shall see!

I had a burgandy camel back sofa I just replaced. Sun exposure was a bigger issue for me  than the dogs  - even though one would regularly dig in the cushions.  So leather protector/ moisturizer was important. I have WSW facing windows and full sun.

I have leather wingback recliners. You want something with visual substance to balance it.  You can do cloth (in a heavy fabric) or leather in a complimentary color.

Since you spent $50 on this and found it used, I would just keep watching for something used that would work in your space on craig's list or your favorite local listserv.  Lots of things would work since this is pretty neutral.  It's nice not to spend too much while you have really young kids anyway.    I subscribe to katilac's attitude on furniture.  We did buy some nicer furniture for our main area when my kids were a bit older.  It's seeing some wear thanks to covid now though!