Menu

CBD Oil for Anxiety?

NewIma

Do not quote please.

My life isn't super great right now. DD14 is struggling greatly with her mental health and life is hard all day everyday. I am on an ssri currently and have occasionally taken a Xanax, but the truth is i would like to take something occasionally that isn't addictive like Xanax can be. I want something to help me calm down when my dd is completely melting down so I can be more present and feel less like running away to Bermuda.

I have zero experience with CBD oil. Is it addictive? Can it help with anxiety in critical panicked moments, or is it  better for lowering anxiety in general? What is your experience? Any advice? 

• Sad 5

I recently tried some cbd oil.  It did not seem to be addictive.  I got a formulation with no THC.  It honestly seemed to do nothing in terms of anxiety.  It seemed like it was a good source of omega 3's, but I'm not at all sold on its efficacy for anxiety.  

Honestly, if I lived somewhere that pot was legal, I'd be tempted to try it, at least a couple times.  But not sure CBD oil has the same effect.  At least it didn't for me.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are several types of CBD. I'm on full spectrum for pain but would not recommend it for anxiety. I have used Delta 8 which I would highly recommend for anxiety, but it has THC derived from hemp and could show up on a drug test. I would not use the word high to describe my experience, but I would not drive after taking it, though others do. I would describe my experience as very relaxed. There is also a delta 9 which is supposed to get you high. Both delta 8 and 9 are derived from hemp. I think either would be fine.

• Thanks 1

I used CBD oil for a few months and it did help with my anxiety. I don't think it's addictive; I haven't needed it for a little while and didn't feel any negative effects from stopping it. 

The oil seemed to have a more immediate effect than the gummies, but the oil also tasted kind of bleh. 

For what it's worth, I didn't think CBD would help me one little bit and only tried it because I had nothing to lose, (got some gummies for free from a friend). I was surprised that it helped. 

1 hour ago, Slache said:

There are several types of CBD. I'm on full spectrum for pain but would not recommend it for anxiety. I have used Delta 8 which I would highly recommend for anxiety, but it has THC derived from hemp and could show up on a drug test. I would not use the word high to describe my experience, but I would not drive after taking it, though others do. I would describe my experience as very relaxed. There is also a delta 9 which is supposed to get you high. Both delta 8 and 9 are derived from hemp. I think either would be fine.

Where do you buy these?

OP, the CBD oil I tried did not work for anxiety for me. Like @Terabith, I wish marijuana were legal in my state, as the SSRI I take for anxiety / OCD has so many unpleasant side effects.

Maybe it depends.  I use cbd oil capsules.  They come in different strengths, I think mine are 10mg but I have no clue at the moment.  I have a tendency to have sensory issues (skin, things touching, odd textures) and the oil does calm my body down enough to be able to feel human again and remember what it was supposed to feel like.  At the same time, it makes me less anxious and stressed.

A 5 pack of capsules will last me a year, though.  And I am not medically diagnosed as having anxiety, which can point to other issues in the brain depending on factors.  I don't find them habit forming or anything else.  The best way I can describe it is like having all the relaxing features of a glass of wine without the dehydration, fuzziness, or poor sleep that comes with that.

Just keep in mind that if you're taking other things, especially for mood, you need to let your doctor know. And MJ itself is contraindicated for anxiety - it gives short term relief, which means the individual keeps using, but makes it worse long term, and it creates a negative cycle. I would tend to think that's a risk with some of the other products that have the same chemical effects.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 3:30 AM, SlowRiver said:

Just keep in mind that if you're taking other things, especially for mood, you need to let your doctor know. And MJ itself is contraindicated for anxiety - it gives short term relief, which means the individual keeps using, but makes it worse long term, and it creates a negative cycle. I would tend to think that's a risk with some of the other products that have the same chemical effects.

I’m on an antidepressant, and an anti anxiety med plus a beta blocker that lessens the physical symptoms of anxiety. My psychiatrist told me that he hasn’t read a bunch of peer reviewed studies about how CBD/THC interacts with antidepressants. My oncologist, on the other hand, said that since she always goes to extra lectures and meetings about medical marijuana and she considers it safer than having a drink or taking a Benadryl. 

My experience is that before starting meds, CBD/THC would cause anxiety, but so would one cup of coffee a day. After getting the anxiety down a little, I can have 2 cups of coffee in the morning without anxiety and THC no longer causes anxiety either if it is mixed one to one or higher with CBD. My oncologist also prescribed a handful of Valium each month, but  only wants me to take those in situations where CBD/THC isn’t an option. 

So, yes, absolutely, always let your prescribing doctor know, but it may turn out that they are not very knowledgeable on the topic. 

Edited by Amy Gen
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

CBD oil is a great thing for low levels of anxiety. I think it fits people who have an active job and need to be available all the time. This oil can be consumed at any time and has no odor. That’s why it’s convenient to use it anywhere.
At the same time, if you have more time and personal space, then you can try some cannabis. You can get it from a dispensary in Brampton and see how well it works. But be aware that you need to keep an open eye and don’t let your body and your brain become addicted to it.
It is a complicated topic, and there is no clear answer to the question: Yes or no.

Edited by BerthaPower
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I think it depends on the type. The ones who brag “no THC” and won’t show on a drug test, those probably won’t help. After meds kept failing and he was having more and more complications, DS started a kind that will show on a drug test and it has done wonders for his crohns. He’s been doing this for a little over a year and his labs haven’t looked like they do now since he was 10 (he’s 21). As a side effect it has also really been good for anxiety. He wasn’t even fully aware of his anxiety or how bad it was until he didn’t have it so much. 

• 1 month later...