Menu

My turn! Book suggestion for 20yo...

WildflowerMom

I always get ds20 a book for Christmas.  When he was growing up, a stack of books was a beloved gift.  Now?   Not so much.   In the past few years, I've done nonfiction books based on his interests.    This year I'd like to try a fiction book again.   
ok, so...  

Fiction

Not into fantasy

Not into comic-type stuff

Something that is the beginning of a series would be nice, so that hopefully he'll be encouraged to keep reading

Maybe mystery?   

Any ideas?   I rarely ever read fiction, so I am clueless here.  

2 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Can you give a bit more info?

Does he like humour? 

Is there anything you definitely don't want? eg sex scenes, swearing

Any particular topics to keep away from?

Yes, humor, snarkiness, and the like, is good.    I doubt he'd care about reading sex scenes only because he'd probably balk at a book that had relationship stuff in it.   Action, mystery, that type of thing would probably be a decent fit.  And humor.  He's a smartass, so humor works.  😆

• Like 1

I've got a couple of very different Australian suggestions:

Matthew Reilly: Seven Ancient Wonders series - action, adventure, mystery. Seven books in the series. Over the top action. Fast reads.

Graeme Simsion: The Rosie Project - laugh out loud funny.  Three books, I think. But I'm not sure how people with autism view these books. I think they would ever love them or hate them.

Nick Earls: throwing him in as a bonus Australian author. No series, but a stack of really funny books. Pretty crass. But VERY funny.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I've got a couple of very different Australian suggestions:

Matthew Reilly: Seven Ancient Wonders series - action, adventure, mystery. Seven books in the series. Over the top action. Fast reads.

Graeme Simsion: The Rosie Project - laugh out loud funny.  Three books, I think. But I'm not sure how people with autism view these books. I think they would ever love them or hate them.

Nick Earls: throwing him in as a bonus Australian author. No series, but a stack of really funny books. Pretty crass. But VERY funny.

Is this the Jack West series?   Looking now... 

12 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Yes, humor, snarkiness, and the like, is good.    I doubt he'd care about reading sex scenes only because he'd probably balk at a book that had relationship stuff in it.   Action, mystery, that type of thing would probably be a decent fit.  And humor.  He's a smartass, so humor works.  😆

Has he read the Andy Carpenter books?  

https://www.goodreads.com/series/42650-andy-carpenter

A good description of the series
https://us.macmillan.com/series/AnAndyCarpenterNovel

Edited by Kassia
  • Thanks 1

I'd second Matthew Reilly for a guy who hasn't been reading for a while. It got my DH back into reading - VERY fast-paced but strangely positive books. Very easy to read, I would recommend his books as 'low vocab high interest' for teens, for example. 

I really got into the Hornblower series a few years back and it's also action packed. I think I started with Lieutenant Hornblower, which was a good choice, I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Breakthrough series is really good, kind of a light Tom Clancy, but with enough personal relations to get you invested in the characters. so kind of a spy/ special armed forces thriller but also add in dolphins and maybe- aliens!  what's not to like?!

Breakthrough is the first book, I think there are 6 now in the series

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bookbard said:

I'd second Matthew Reilly for a guy who hasn't been reading for a while. It got my DH back into reading - VERY fast-paced but strangely positive books. Very easy to read, I would recommend his books as 'low vocab high interest' for teens, for example. 

I really got into the Hornblower series a few years back and it's also action packed. I think I started with Lieutenant Hornblower, which was a good choice, I think. 

The bold is true. I hadn't really realised, but it's true. There's all that super fast-paced action and how-the-googlies-did-they-escape-that moments, but then there are touching relationships, and the bird, and I really like that there are the two children.

I've just talked myself into reading the whole series again from the start!

• Like 1

The Martian by Andy Weir. Not a series, but snarky & a whole lot of fun. Plus the movie is entertaining too. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18007564-the-martian?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=8zlYws8IM4&rank=1

Narconomics: How to Run a Drug Cartel by Tom Wainwright. Non-fiction. Fascinating look at what cartels learned from big corporations like McDonald's & others. The author is British & I loved his understated humor. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25159062-narconomics?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=EIdT2AG0u2&rank=1

The Plover by Brian Doyle. This is a book I recommend to almost everyone. It's funny. It's bittersweet. It's heartwarming. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17934485-the-plover?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=GDUChdC1DV&rank=1

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Stacia said:

The Martian by Andy Weir. Not a series, but snarky & a whole lot of fun. Plus the movie is entertaining too. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18007564-the-martian?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=8zlYws8IM4&rank=1

Andy Weir's most recent book, Hail Mary, is also good. It features a middle school teacher, so the curse words are creative, and he is by himself on a space ship (2 other crew members have died) so that limits relationship options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1