Menu

It’s approved! (Vax related)

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Pfizer just got approved for 5-11 year olds. I know we have a vaccination thread but I thought this deserved a thread of its own.

Its sounding like we may be able to start vaccinating November 4, at least according to my friends at the state department of health. They expect CDC to sign off and we’ll be able to start holding clinics. That may be overly hopeful, but it’s soon.

My 11-year-old is thrilled.

edited: it’s 5 year olds, not 3 year olds. I can’t type on my phone.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Just now, WildflowerMom said:

Awesome!!!

(and how are you doing?)

Very not excited to be sitting in an airport days after taking drugs to knock down my immune system. 😂. I at least thought to bring my work PPE so I’m sitting in my N95 face shielded bubble. 

I am really hoping I don’t catch anything and can start vaccinating kids in the next week!

• Like 10

My almost six year old grandson will be dancing a jig. He regularly asks when he can get a shot so maybe he can go to the space museum again. He is a champion masker, and his not quite two year old brother wears a mask as well...way better than most of the adults I know. It feels like hope on the horizon for them! Once vaxed and the appropriate waiting time completed for optimal immunity, I am going to take him to the freshwater aquarium in Chattanooga to celebrate.

• Like 7

I feel really doubtful that the cdc will rubber stamp this for healthy boys given the current seroprevalence and case rates.  Again I'm left wondering at the stupid all-or-nothing approach.  Can we ok two doses for boys with risk factors and one dose for the rest?  Probably not, cuz that would be too reasonable.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

I feel really doubtful that the cdc will rubber stamp this for healthy boys given the current seroprevalence and case rates.  Again I'm left wondering at the stupid all-or-nothing approach.  Can we ok two doses for boys with risk factors and one dose for the rest?  Probably not, cuz that would be too reasonable.

Can you go into more about the first sentence?  I have kind of backed off looking at Covid things so I am not the most up to date.  I thought that they  had not seen lots of heart issues in the younger kids?  And that it is most protective to have had Covid and gotten a vaccine? 

51 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Pfizer's dose for 5-11 is only 10 µg — that is 1/10th of the dose that Moderna used for 12 yr olds, and 1/5th of the dose that Moderna tested on 6-11 yr olds, so even two doses of Pfizer would only be equal to 40% of a single dose of Moderna. Personally I would not be concerned at all about Pfizer at such a low dose. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Can you go into more about the first sentence?  I have kind of backed off looking at Covid things so I am not the most up to date.  I thought that they  had not seen lots of heart issues in the younger kids?  And that it is most protective to have had Covid and gotten a vaccine? 

Cases are decreasing in most places and the group has a seroprevalence of 42%, meaning they have already been infected.  We've seen in other cohorts that an initial dose reaction in someone previously infected is similar to the second dose reaction in people who haven't been infected.  

I would expect myocarditis rates to be lower than the 12-15 year klds, but none of our trials (Moderna or pfizer) have enough kids to determine what that rate is.  It's probably very low, but so is the incidence of severe outcome from covid in healthy males in that age range.  Plus, the fda used total hospitalization rather than covid-related hospitalization in running the risk/benefit.  And I just have to slam my head against the wall that we didn't run it with a single shot.  We know most of the severe outcomes are prevented with a single dose and most of the myocarditis is after the second dose.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

We know most of the severe outcomes are prevented with a single dose and most of the myocarditis is after the second dose. 

I don't think a single shot of Pfizer has been shown to be very effective against Delta. E.g., from Nature:

"Therefore, a single dose of Pfizer or AstraZeneca either showed low or no efficiency against the Beta and the Delta variants. Both vaccines generated a neutralizing response that efficiently targeted the Delta variant only after the second dose."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I don't think a single shot of Pfizer has been shown to be very effective against Delta. E.g., from Nature:

"Therefore, a single dose of Pfizer or AstraZeneca either showed low or no efficiency against the Beta and the Delta variants. Both vaccines generated a neutralizing response that efficiently targeted the Delta variant only after the second dose."

No, not against infection, but against hospitalization.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

No, not against infection, but against hospitalization.

But the risk of hospitalization in ages 5-11 is already extremely low. If one shot of Pfizer provides virtually no protection against infection with Delta, then there's not much point in it. I think most parents are concerned about infection, as well as the possibility of long covid and other issues that can occur even with mild or asymptomatic cases.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

But the risk of hospitalization in ages 5-11 is already extremely low. If one shot of Pfizer provides virtually no protection against infection with Delta, then there's not much point in it. I think most parents are concerned about infection, as well as the possibility of long covid and other issues that can occur even with mild or asymptomatic cases.

Yeah, all the doctors I'm seeing on Twitter are very eager to get their 5-11 year olds vaccinated, and are explaining why, and the reasons are all in line with why I'm relieved my kid in that age range will be able to get one. Even with boys, though the risk of myocarditis is expected to be less in this age range, the chance of myocarditis is still going to be much higher for those that get covid, so it doesn't make sense to me to skip the vaccine in order to avoid the very small risk of myocarditis. I'd be really worried and upset if my kid was among the small number of unlucky ones who got it, but I know that from all indications, they would recover just fine from it, and again, that their chance of getting it would have been even higher without the vaccine. If my kid had had verified Covid, I would start with just one shot for now, because it does seem that provides strong protection. I think it makes sense for their to be a way for people to be considered protected if they have a verified infection plus one dose of vaccine.

• Like 2