Menu

Sad to wake up to news of colin powell

lynn

I was so sad to see the news. 😞

Even though I didn’t always agree with Colin Powell, I always respected him and thought he had a lot of integrity. He seemed like a very decent man, and I was shocked to see that he had died. I hadn’t been aware of his battles with cancer. 

He is an example of someone who needed the community around him to be vaccinated to protect him. And another who died too soon due to COVID. 

It really bothers me that I'm seeing this as a "vaccination doesn't work" talking point in many places, as opposed to a "the community needs to work together to protect those who are vulnerable". 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 14

11 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

He is an example of someone who needed the community around him to be vaccinated to protect him. And another who died too soon due to COVID. 

It really bothers me that I'm seeing this as a "vaccination doesn't work" talking point in many places, as opposed to a "the community needs to work together to protect those who are vulnerable". 

QFT

• Like 1

Doesn't it seem like saying he was "fully vaccinated" miss the point that they know the vaccine effectiveness drops? He would have gotten it early on and the effectiveness dropped. He also had the comorbid issues.

I was watching a video about him and I didn't not realize the extent to which he had acknowledged he had "been a good soldier" and lied, covered up things, etc. I wonder how common this really is in the military. 

2 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Ok, I am just going to ask what this means. I keep seeing it. When I google I see quit freakin talking and quite freaking true. Those are opposite meanings. So I am just curious and do all posters mean the same thing when they post it?

Quoted for truth 

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Doesn't it seem like saying he was "fully vaccinated" miss the point that they know the vaccine effectiveness drops? He would have gotten it early on and the effectiveness dropped. He also had the comorbid issues.

Yes. He had his second dose back in February and was due to have his booster last week, but then became ill before that happened 😢. His type of cancer is known to result in only 45% of those with it having adequate immune response to the vaccine. Like dmmetler says, this is an example of why we need everyone who possibly can be vaccinated to be so, to protect those who are not well protected by the vaccine.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Appalling that far-right faux news sources are trying to spin Powell's death as some sort of bogus narrative that vaccines don't work.

Nope. He had a type of cancer that undermines the immune system and likely received treatments that also undermine the immune system.

It is unfortunate that he didn't have the opportunity to get his booster before he got ill and died.

Those who make the point that we protect others with vulnerabilities (such as Colin Powell and other with weakened immune systems) when we vaccinate are spot on.

Please get your vaccines and boosters people. Lives literally depend on it.

RIP Colin Powell.

Bill

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Like dmmetler says, this is an example of why we need everyone who possibly can be vaccinated to be so, to protect those who are not well protected by the vaccine.

Or we could have more intelligent administration of boosters. Pat dates clearly didn't serve his medical needs well.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Or we could have more intelligent administration of boosters. Pat dates clearly didn't serve his medical needs well.

That reply makes me sad. He has a kind of cancer that means even with a booster, it’s entirely likely he would never mount a response. There are people out there that rely on the protection of others. I don’t know why so many people are unwilling to care for their neighbors in this way 😞. (And I’m pretty sure you got the memo the boosters were just recently approved, right? His appointment having been last week would have nothing to do with specific dates. It had been eight months since he finished his primary series.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

???

I don't understand your point. As an active cancer patient he would have qualified for a third dose back in (I think) early/mid August. IIRC that's when third doses for immune compromised people were approved. I'm guessing there was some medical reason--perhaps due to a current treatment--that he couldn't receive that dose yet. But obviously that's just a guess. Given his age and type of cancer I think it's far from a sure thing that he would have gotten a good immune response to a third dose.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

???

I don't understand your point. As an active cancer patient he would have qualified for a third dose back in (I think) early/mid August. IIRC that's when third doses for immune compromised people were approved. I'm guessing there was some medical reason--perhaps due to a current treatment--that he couldn't receive that dose yet. But obviously that's just a guess. Given his age and type of cancer I think it's far from a sure thing that he would have gotten a good immune response to a third dose.

I qualify and haven't had a third dose yet.  I got my flu shot last time I had a window in treatment, and can't have two vaccines at the same time.

• Like 1