Menu

CRT (now rebranded as Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion DEI) and DOJ involvement in school board meetings

Fritz

18 minutes ago, Fritz said:

As was noted upthread, we did not see ONE example of this being done in the previous CRT thread. We did see multiple examples of it being done inappropriately. When schools have people like this woman involved I think we can be sure it will be inappropriately done.

https://mynorthwest.com/3182734/rantz-school-equity-leader-racist-tiktok/

A local school district’s equity team leader is no longer in her role after parents discovered her racist and vulgar TikTok videos. But the school has known about her conduct for months.

On her social media channel, Alicia Busch routinely attacks and mocks white people. She labels them “amoral colonizers” and explains she wants to make them uncomfortable. Though she threatens people with physical violence in some videos, she also says, “there is no safe place for BIPOC to exist when whiteness is present.” She also claims that the “American dream is white supremacy.”

Schools doing it appropriately don't make the news.  Why would they?  I know I have seen people protesting things that were appropriate, like the book about a black kid's experience in a mostly white school.  So is your position that it is nowhere being taught appropriately?  Or that all the protests are only against really inappropriate things?  

• Like 3

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Fritz said:

As I said I just don't think we can fix everything for everyone without the parents having to make sacrifices for what is most important for them. 

The charter school closest to my home requires parents to volunteer a certain number of hours. There are weekend projects they can help with etc, so not necessarily during school hours. I don't see this as a bad thing. Parents need to be involved.

This is actually a good example of a time where actual CRT is relevant. Saying "we can't fix everything for everyone" and then choosing to fix things in a way that it benefits the same people who always get the benefits, to the detriment of those that always tend to be on the losing end is an example of the kind of thing that CRT addresses. Poorer people who live in inner cities for example, just do not have the options for transportation for their kids, no matter how much they wish they did. It's not because they love their kids less and wouldn't be more involved if they could be. This is more of a socioeconomic issue than a race one, but in the US, economically disadvantaged people living in inner cities are disproportionately minorities.

26 minutes ago, Fritz said:

As was noted upthread, we did not see ONE example of this being done in the previous CRT thread. We did see multiple examples of it being done inappropriately.  inappropriately done.

Well, lol, that's because the point of the thread was people spreading the astroturfed stories of particularly egregious examples of "CRT." There actually were some people who shared how issues of race can and are appropriately discussed in classrooms. Most of which has little to do with discussing anything to do with actual CRT. CRT can be an appropriate discussion for high school students, but I can't see it coming into lessons at the elementary level that are discussing topics that have something to do with race.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, goldberry said:

I don't think anything about pronouns or name preferences, but someone mentioned sexual orientation.  Is that really happening?  I mean, if someone wants to announce it as part of introducing themselves, that's fine of course, but is anyone being *expected* to announce it?

Editing to add, I get the current generation is very *out* about sharing things.  When I meet my daughter's friends from college, they very often announce personal things during our first meeting, including mental health diagnoses, etc.  But it shouldn't be *asked* I don't think.

As far as I know, no adult has asked anything like that. I’m sure some students volunteer it b/c they are really, really open. 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSera said:

This is actually a good example of a time where actual CRT is relevant. Saying "we can't fix everything for everyone" and then choosing to fix things in a way that it benefits the same people who always get the benefits, to the detriment of those that always tend to be on the losing end is an example of the kind of thing that CRT addresses. Poorer people who live in inner cities for example, just do not have the options for transportation for their kids, no matter how much they wish they did. It's not because they love their kids less and wouldn't be more involved if they could be. This is more of a socioeconomic issue than a race one, but in the US, economically disadvantaged people living in inner cities are disproportionately minorities.

Well, lol, that's because the point of the thread was people spreading the astroturfed stories of particularly egregious examples of "CRT." There actually were some people who shared how issues of race can and are appropriately discussed in classrooms. Most of which has little to do with discussing anything to do with actual CRT. CRT can be an appropriate discussion for high school students, but I can't see it coming into lessons at the elementary level that are discussing topics that have something to do with race.

Ah, never mind.

My experience is similar to Ordinary Shoes’. There’s a mix of private, public, and charter schools. There are state scholarships available for private schools regardless of religious affiliation.

I’ve had kids in private and public schools as well as homeschool. In my experience and the experience of friends at different private schools they tend to be mediocre. They do have an advantage as far as not having to take students with behavioral issues or making the lives of the parents of the misbehaving students lives miserable do they pull their students out (I’m not talking about students with autism adhd etc. I’m talking about your run of the mill bully disruptive kid). They lack the deeper pockets of the public school system. They offer fewer class options that are mostly geared towards the average student. No top level math or English classes in middle school, which the public school is able to offer due to resources and a larger population of students. 

Generally speaking here charter schools seem to be plagued by management issues. 

We do not have teacher unions in our state so they are not a factor in school choice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KSera said:

Actually the charter school does have buses. Not sure if parents have to get their children to certain pick up spots or if the buses pick them up at their regular bus stops. I find it very hard to believe that any parent would have no time to volunteer a few hours in some capacity (baking for a bake sale for example or preparing a craft for the school) during the school year. 

If you think you can correct for every possible scenario to make everything fair for eveyone, good luck with that. Life is not fair.

Oh please! Are you forgetting that the examples that were shown were actual classroom examples parents had observed from their children's zoom classes, not "astroturfed" ? You or anyone else on the thread that had an example of race being discussed in a classroom in a productive way could have shown that if it indeed exists. But there was not ONE example. 

Southlake represents the zeitgeist I’m most familiar with. It’s an attitude that’s encroaching locally. Our district has been on the local news several times over the last few months because of poor public behavior and roudy meetings. It’s always the same people freaking out.

I was relatively happy with our local schools before the cray. They weren’t perfect and there were hiccups but nothing was insurmountable and I felt like staff wanted to do right by kids. They aren’t designed to please everyone. No public service or entity is. Expecting that is setting yourself up for disappointment. Stick with private or homeschooling for that. Every school in this district isn’t as successful as others but there are a variety of magnet programs to attract students placed in ‘weaker’ schools. I put weaker in quotes because this is a well-run, well-resourced district top to bottom. I’m so happy with it that I’m sending my youngest to one of the ‘weaker’ schools’ magnet programs next year.

I have no interest in scrapping public schools. Zilch. Zero. I just want zealots to stop screwing with them.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, goldberry said:

I don't think anything about pronouns or name preferences, but someone mentioned sexual orientation.  Is that really happening?  I mean, if someone wants to announce it as part of introducing themselves, that's fine of course, but is anyone being *expected* to announce it?

That was an offshoot that started from a comment by Janeway that only non-heterosexual people were eligible for lab jobs at the college.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Not that they cared but plenty of people tried to warn them about the law. Now they're stuck with the mess they created themselves. 

The ultimate goals/motivations behind the outrage-driven laws were clear from the outset. No one was hiding their objective. I don’t think any of them are upset about the fallout. Erasure was/is the point. You don’t see anyone working to repeal the laws do you? Actions speak louder than words.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, goldberry said:

This is an interesting perspective. Public schools have always been about what is beneficial for *society as a whole* not what is beneficial for individual kids or families.  That's part of why we chose to homeschool, but the reasoning makes sense.  If you have a publicly funded school, it has to benefit the majority.  In our country now, we are just about evenly split about what exactly is beneficial.  So what you are saying is a reality.

The problem I see is that the same people who don't want a teacher supporting BLM in the classroom also want to bring back patriotism and prayer in the classroom.  History can't be taught neutrally it seems, because even basic facts are being touted as anti-American.  People who want "leftist propaganda" out of the classroom, seem to be okay with their own values in the classroom, because to *them* those aren't propaganda. Those are "American values".  How is that gap ever bridged?  

(Can't seem to correct my weird font, sorry.  I haven't been on the board in awhile, where is the font size option??)

It is a conundrum, it's why I think the idea of a really secular school is a bit dangerous. No such beast exists and it's much better to be up-front about your belief system.

But I'm not sure that you'd actually find that it is true that people who object to critical theory type approaches map on to that other group quite so well.

(Although patriotism should, by definition, be quite inclusive of pretty much everyone, since it is based on geography rather than identity. Not to say it always is, but a state school could look for things that unify the group and hold them together, geography and togetherness being the most basic. If we need to find something to tie people together and give feelings of solidarity, it is probably the best bet in a pluralistic society.)

But I don't think you'd even find in this discussion that people who are critical or CT are particularly likely to be members of the religious right, and a lot of it's fiercest critics aren't. A lot of them are classical liberals, many are atheists, or Catholic, or something else, many are university educated and many aren't, some are marxists or other kinds of leftists, they cover a wide spectrum of economic bands. In fact I would say they are a much broader church than the very pro-CRT people who tend to be middle class, university educated liberal progressives who are non-religious or from progressive mainline churches. Most polling on the issue suggests that they are more likely to be white, comparatively, as well.

It's true that history is never totally neutral, but you know lots of historians, and not just religious right wing ones, think the kind of history being taught under the guise of CT is pretty twisted by that lens. It is possible to teach a pretty straightforward factual history without framing it in terms of oppressors and oppression. And with very little political commentary of any kind. Especially before you are at the university level. That doesn't mean you don't talk about race, any more than you don't talk about how workers got the vote, or the power conflicts between European powers and the papacy. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SlowRiver said:

It is a conundrum, it's why I think the idea of a really secular school is a bit dangerous. No such beast exists and it's much better to be up-front about your belief system.

But I'm not sure that you'd actually find that it is true that people who object to critical theory type approaches map on to that other group quite so well.

(Although patriotism should, by definition, be quite inclusive of pretty much everyone, since it is based on geography rather than identity. Not to say it always is, but a state school could look for things that unify the group and hold them together, geography and togetherness being the most basic. If we need to find something to tie people together and give feelings of solidarity, it is probably the best bet in a pluralistic society.)

But I don't think you'd even find in this discussion that people who are critical or CT are particularly likely to be members of the religious right, and a lot of it's fiercest critics aren't. A lot of them are classical liberals, many are atheists, or Catholic, or something else, many are university educated and many aren't, some are marxists or other kinds of leftists, they cover a wide spectrum of economic bands. In fact I would say they are a much broader church than the very pro-CRT people who tend to be middle class, university educated liberal progressives who are non-religious or from progressive mainline churches. Most polling on the issue suggests that they are more likely to be white, comparatively, as well.

It's true that history is never totally neutral, but you know lots of historians, and not just religious right wing ones, think the kind of history being taught under the guise of CT is pretty twisted by that lens. It is possible to teach a pretty straightforward factual history without framing it in terms of oppressors and oppression. And with very little political commentary of any kind. Especially before you are at the university level. That doesn't mean you don't talk about race, any more than you don't talk about how workers got the vote, or the power conflicts between European powers and the papacy. 

I’m not sure where to begin. There is no one supporting CRT in k-12 schools because CRT isn’t taught in schools. History is; English is. This is fundamentally about how we teach core subjects and whether we make any intentional effort to recognize the good, bad, ugly of our past and present, and/or the contributions of non-white people and women. The fact that you think pro-CRT voices are mostly college educated, progressive, white people is just…you might need to get out more. My feed is full of BLACK people who are horrified, shocked and upset by what’s going on BUT THEY WON’T IDENTIFY IT AS CRT IN POLLING. CRT is a creation only engaged politicos recognize as code. To the people it’s trying to erase, it’s plain old history and lived experience, fact. The people who ALREADY teach accurate history and will go on doing so, because their schools are majority minority, aren’t college educated, progressive white people. The belief that anti-/pro-CRT is a ‘church’ speaks volumes about the unmoored thinking/principles of those pushing this issue. The concept of ‘patriotism’ as unifying is a joke. You do know that the patriotism of those who’ve sought to advance equality and justice has been questioned forever, even as they serve! I can’t even. image.gif.b3ba777c7ceb9d5bcf5124ace6e4d3b9.gif

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

On 10/9/2021 at 5:43 AM, Tanaqui said:

What about people assaulting teachers and other staff on school property? Bringing weapons on school property? You are being lied to, or you are actively being mendacious.

I don't know what the DOJ is but if it is to do the police then yes if there are threats and assaults they should be called and trespass notices should be issued.

On 10/11/2021 at 11:17 AM, Fritz said:

Nothing on the face of them. It's how they are implemented as I already stated. Just like CRT they claim it's one thing but in the classroom is is not presented that way just as @Roadrunner  has already posted. Schools need to be focused on academics not social justice. If you and others would prefer your schools to focus on social justice then allowing for school choice would be a good way to ensure parents can choose the education they would like for their children to have. What's wrong with school choice? You haven't answered that yet.

The main purpose of schools is social indoctrination.  What the children are indoctrinated with depends on the time and place at the time.  A secondary aim of schools it to make sure everyone is numerate and literate enough to be useful to those in charge - the degree and type of numeracy and literacy once again varies.  If the aim was actual education the schools would be set up differently.  Occasionally excellence occurs but it is by accident rather than intent.  Discuss with quotations as required - please remember to list all references.  We all have a different idea of the job of schools.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, kiwik said:

I don't know what the DOJ is but if it is to do the police then yes if there are threats and assaults they should be called and trespass notices should be issued.

The DOJ is the federal Department of Justice. They prosecute federal crimes on behalf of the nation. The investigative arm (police) for federal crimes is the FBI.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 11:31 AM, Roadrunner said:

What I don’t understand is why we can’t fund schools on per student basis across the state so no matter where you are or who you are, you get the same funding. I mean it’s a public school. If the only advantage of white schools is in the funding, this should be a relatively easy fix. 

It sounds simpler than it is.  We do it in NZ.  But you also have to stack the funding in favour of the poorer areas.  Here every year most school run a thing called a gala which is basically a fundaraiser.  Schools with rich parents take in the money - poor schools not so much.  So now you have one group of schools that has the X amount the government has given, a second group that has X plus $2000 from fundraising and a another X plus 100,000 from fundraising.  Rich schools also take overseas students who pay the school for the privelege (I really don't see how that is legal but it is).  Also schools have a board of trustees.  A school in a rich area has a board stacked with professionals and people working to get ahead whereas the board of a poorer school will have fewer experts (lawyers, accountants, business people can really help).  The upshot is you have to rank the schools rich to poor and find the poor ones more.  But then the richness rating (it was called the devil's rating) came to be used as a way of judging schools.  

I would much rather have the system we have than a local tax system but it has major pitfalls that must be carefully avoided.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fritz said:

Just spitballing here, but how about more than one school offered on each campus. Being that everyone would not be choosing the same school maybe there would be more room to divide a school into 2 schools each with a different focus. That won't completely fix the issue I realize. Maybe the travel issue could be lessened somewhat by grouping a couple of schools on each campus.

I don't think it is possible to address every possible scenario to make everything work perfectly for everyone. I do think part of parenting is deciding what the major things are for your family and finding away to make them happen. If school choice is a major thing then it is up to the parents to find a way to make it happen (ride sharing etc). I was raised by a single mom with no extended family in the area so I get how challenging that can be.

With the current system if you live in an area with a crappy public school you are stuck with it. Having a choice to take your child's money to the school of your choice at least allows for the option of leaving the crappy school. I think you should be allowed to take that money and use it for private school, a different public school, charter school, and possibly for homeschooling. Not sure about the homeschooling thing though. I like the idea myself, but that could open a can of worms.

But when all the kids move to another school the other schools get overstretched either someone has to pay to make the school bigger or the school has to start turning people away.  Meanwhile the scrappy school has not got any help and since it has lost the kids whose parents actually have skills and their funding they are now poorer and less skilled.  Also a bunch of kids are travelling long distances to school.  I would be better to put more effort and money into improving the crappy school.  And if you are unlucky and the school 100 m down the road is full you have to travel across town to another school which is pretty silly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

People claiming that CT isn't providing the framework for a lot of what is going on in education now is why you get articles pointing out that these same ideas are being found or drawn out of several different kinds of policies. 

And it's also linked to the rather bizarre claim that keeps getting made that people who don't favour that approach don't want diversity in education, or don't want anyone to mention race, or don't want to talk about bad people in the past. 

It's possible to have good solid history teaching, and a school environment that promotes respect for all people in the community even when they have very different backgrounds or viewpoints from our own, without the kind of crap that tends to pass for diversity training. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SlowRiver said:

People claiming that CT isn't providing the framework for a lot of what is going on in education now is why you get articles pointing out that these same ideas are being found or drawn out of several different kinds of policies. 

And it's also linked to the rather bizarre claim that keeps getting made that people who don't favour that approach don't want diversity in education, or don't want anyone to mention race, or don't want to talk about bad people in the past. 

It's possible to have good solid history teaching, and a school environment that promotes respect for all people in the community even when they have very different backgrounds or viewpoints from our own, without the kind of crap that tends to pass for diversity training. 

When you define everything from books about Ruby Bridges and the Holocaust to students voluntarily outing themselves and identifying preferred pronouns as "CRT" you have zero credibility. CRT is about understanding systemic forms of bias and oppression. Period.

One wonders if you have any connection with what is actually happening in your own local schools at all or are speculating based on news reports. The FACT is that people up in arms over CRT have passed laws that have chilled literary and historical studies in public schools. They have no plan to reverse that because it's a feature, not a bug. It is absolutely possible to do the bolded but not with people who think "diversity training" is what is happening among K12 students. We're not working with the same set of facts. My children come home from public school every weekday, Monday through Friday, and neither has experienced anything close to the claims that engender so much outrage. You know what I *do* hear about? Chemistry labs, tax returns and W-2s (for Adulting 101 class), band skill exams, and club sign-ups. 

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I’m not sure where to begin. There is no one supporting CRT in k-12 schools because CRT isn’t taught in schools. History is; English is. This is fundamentally about how we teach core subjects and whether we make any intentional effort to recognize the good, bad, ugly of our past and present, and/or the contributions of non-white people and women. The fact that you think pro-CRT voices are mostly college educated, progressive, white people is just…you might need to get out more. My feed is full of BLACK people who are horrified, shocked and upset by what’s going on BUT THEY WON’T IDENTIFY IT AS CRT IN POLLING. CRT is a creation only engaged politicos recognize as code. To the people it’s trying to erase, it’s plain old history and lived experience, fact. The people who ALREADY teach accurate history and will go on doing so, because their schools are majority minority, aren’t college educated, progressive white people. The belief that anti-/pro-CRT is a ‘church’ speaks volumes about the unmoored thinking/principles of those pushing this issue. The concept of ‘patriotism’ as unifying is a joke. You do know that the patriotism of those who’ve sought to advance equality and justice has been questioned forever, even as they serve! I can’t even. image.gif.b3ba777c7ceb9d5bcf5124ace6e4d3b9.gif

I can attest, as a college educated White woman who spent my entire pre-homeschooling professional career in Majority-Minority schools (like 5 students who were not classified as "Black" in about 10 years, all from two families), there was a lot of history I learned at school. Not from the books or materials, but from my fellow teachers, and from my students. Because my students would come in talking about things they learned at home. I learned, very, very quickly, to swallow my pride and LEARN-that what I'd heard growing up in VA was just plain not the whole story. It's one reason why I had my teen do dual enrollment at a majority minority community college-because there was far more learned outside the classroom than in. 

The restrictions that are coming in on teachers scare the heck out of me. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It's as if people don't realize that the students, themselves, are carrying their personal/familial stories into the classroom. Increasingly diverse student populations, especially in the sunbelt and south, are driving more responsive teaching. Teachers are trying to engage the students showing up in their classrooms. That can be a clumsy/haphazard thing. I agree, sometimes it's unskillful. It's always been unskillful, like asking adopted kids to do a biological family tree in science or having students wear "Indian headdresses" and celebrate Thanksgiving with pilgrims. I'm all for narratives being gently interrogated with documents when they are/seem counter factual but this really is beyond that. It's about erasure. There's no evidence that what people claim to be "CRT" is harming kids and ample evidence that the response is.

• Like 8

And yet another example of school board's "domestic terrorist" the DOJ needs to send in the FBI to investigate

https://nypost.com/2021/10/13/virginia-dad-vilified-for-defending-daughter-shows-rot-at-heart-of-system-devine/

Jeering progressives demonized and dehumanized him. They fat-shamed him on social media and toasted their success at getting him banned from the next school board meeting at which they passed their policy to turn all Loudoun County school bathrooms transgender. 

Who cares if that made girls like Smith’s daughter less safe in the process? 

She says the reason the June 22 meeting got rowdy was because the progressive school board had “stacked the deck” by opening public speaking slots a day early so that pro-transgender bathroom activists could fill the slate. 

Edited by desertflower
political
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fritz said:

And yet another example of school board's "domestic terrorist" the DOJ needs to send in the FBI to investigate

https://nypost.com/2021/10/13/virginia-dad-vilified-for-defending-daughter-shows-rot-at-heart-of-system-devine/

The callousness is what is so hard to stomach from the progressive elites of Loudoun County, Virginia, the wealthy dormitory community of Washington, DC. 

They laughed and cheered when plumber Scott Smith was crash-tackled by police and humiliated at a school board meeting on June 22 as he tried to raise the plight of his 15-year-old daughter, who he says was raped and sodomized in the school bathroom by a boy in a skirt. No one expressed any concern for his daughter. 

There was no compassion, either, from superintendent Scott Ziegler, who claimed bafflingly at the meeting that there had been no assault in a school restroom anywhere in Loudoun County and airily dismissed parents’ concerns about the risks of transgender bathrooms. Then he gave a little woke homily to show those powerless parents in the room who really was in charge. 

“Time magazine in 2016 called that a red herring … we’ve heard it several times tonight from our public speakers but the predator transgender student or person simply does not exist,” he said. 

Tell that to the Smith family. 

The rainbow activist who allegedly threatened Smith’s livelihood at that meeting told him point-blank his daughter’s rape three weeks earlier did not happen, as if she would know. 

He raised his voice and called her a “bitch.” 

For that mild response to her provocation, he was arrested. The video of his humiliation, his T-shirt ripped, his belly exposed, his pants pulled down, went viral globally. 

No one cared about his shattered family.

The Soros-funded left-wing prosecutor, Buta Biberaj, reportedly a decarceration proponent, tried to get Smith jailed for his disruptive behavior. 

Jeering progressives demonized and dehumanized him. They fat-shamed him on social media and toasted their success at getting him banned from the next school board meeting at which they passed their policy to turn all Loudoun County school bathrooms transgender. 

The subterfuge might have been successful if it hadn’t been for an enterprising reporter at the Daily Wire who bothered to find out Smith’s side of the story — and a horrific tale it is. 

The alleged rapist of his daughter was quietly shipped to another school, where he struck again. That’s a failure of the school system of Loudoun County, which quite obviously did not take the Smiths’ complaint seriously. 

“If someone would have sat and listened for 30 seconds to what Scott had to say, they would have been mortified and heartbroken,” Smith’s attorney, Elizabeth Lancaster, told the Daily Wire. 

The left-wing activist group National School Boards Association wrote a letter to President Biden citing Smith’s case, without naming him, and urged the administration to use the Patriot Act to crack down on parents who demand a say in their children’s schools. It didn’t seem to occur to Biden that targeting disgruntled parents with legislation designed for foreign suicide bombers might be over the top. 

Five days later, on Oct. 4, the obedient Attorney General Merrick Garland issued his infamous memo that sics the FBI on parents like Smith. 

Again, not a thought for Smith or his daughter. 

There wasn’t a word of compassion in the statement released Wednesday by Loudoun County Public Schools. Citing privacy concerns and respect for police matters, it excused itself and school board members for their silence about the Smith debacle and the false information provided to parents. 

“What’s happened to Scott Smith’s daughter and the second victim is something that could happen to all of our children,” says Smith’s friend and fellow Loudoun County parent Elicia Brand. “It’s not a transgender issue. This is a child endangerment issue. 

“We don’t want politics and ideologies and agendas in school … We don’t want sexually explicitly material in schools [or] normalizing pedophilia.” 

She says the reason the June 22 meeting got rowdy was because the progressive school board had “stacked the deck” by opening public speaking slots a day early so that pro-transgender bathroom activists could fill the slate. 

First, this is a serious story that should be paid attention to.  Second, when you share things that are filled with loaded political language and bias then it makes it easier not to take it seriously, so you should consider your sources. "Normalizing pedophilia"??? Not happening.  Third, bathroom assaults have unfortunately been happening for many years before there were "transgender bathroom activists".  Sexual assaults on girls and women need more attention than they get, and the fact that one in a million happens by a transgender person is being used to distract from real problems not address them.  Banning transgender people in bathrooms will not solve this, because the majority of assaults are not associated with transgender people.  

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Who are "pro-CRT people?" No one even knows what CRT actually is. What polling in favor of CRT when no one understands what it is? 

THIS ^^^^^  100x THIS

I know what CRT is because I researched it.  I'm not Pro-CRT because it affects nothing that I deal with or interact with.  I am decidedly neutral.  I know absolutely NO ONE who is Pro-CRT for the same reasons.

I am PRO accurate history being taught without things being excluded because they might make someone, or some race, or some country "look bad".  I am PRO having representation in the classroom in the form of books and other material with diverse characters and their experiences.  I am PRO teachers learning to be sensitive to differing lived experiences of their diverse students.

Those things are not Pro-CRT.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Fritz said:

The callousness is what is so hard to stomach from the progressive elites of Loudoun County, Virginia, the wealthy dormitory community of Washington, DC. 

They laughed and cheered when plumber Scott Smith was crash-tackled by police and humiliated at a school board meeting on June 22 as he tried to raise the plight of his 15-year-old daughter, who he says was raped and sodomized in the school bathroom by a boy in a skirt. No one expressed any concern for his daughter. 

There was no compassion, either, from superintendent Scott Ziegler, who claimed bafflingly at the meeting that there had been no assault in a school restroom anywhere in Loudoun County and airily dismissed parents’ concerns about the risks of transgender bathrooms. Then he gave a little woke homily to show those powerless parents in the room who really was in charge. 

“Time magazine in 2016 called that a red herring … we’ve heard it several times tonight from our public speakers but the predator transgender student or person simply does not exist,” he said. 

Tell that to the Smith family. 

The rainbow activist who allegedly threatened Smith’s livelihood at that meeting told him point-blank his daughter’s rape three weeks earlier did not happen, as if she would know. 

He raised his voice and called her a “bitch.” 

For that mild response to her provocation, he was arrested. The video of his humiliation, his T-shirt ripped, his belly exposed, his pants pulled down, went viral globally. 

No one cared about his shattered family.

The Soros-funded left-wing prosecutor, Buta Biberaj, reportedly a decarceration proponent, tried to get Smith jailed for his disruptive behavior. 

The subterfuge might have been successful if it hadn’t been for an enterprising reporter at the Daily Wire who bothered to find out Smith’s side of the story — and a horrific tale it is. 

The alleged rapist of his daughter was quietly shipped to another school, where he struck again. That’s a failure of the school system of Loudoun County, which quite obviously did not take the Smiths’ complaint seriously. 

“If someone would have sat and listened for 30 seconds to what Scott had to say, they would have been mortified and heartbroken,” Smith’s attorney, Elizabeth Lancaster, told the Daily Wire. 

The left-wing activist group National School Boards Association wrote a letter to President Biden citing Smith’s case, without naming him, and urged the administration to use the Patriot Act to crack down on parents who demand a say in their children’s schools. It didn’t seem to occur to Biden that targeting disgruntled parents with legislation designed for foreign suicide bombers might be over the top. 

Five days later, on Oct. 4, the obedient Attorney General Merrick Garland issued his infamous memo that sics the FBI on parents like Smith. 

Again, not a thought for Smith or his daughter. 

There wasn’t a word of compassion in the statement released Wednesday by Loudoun County Public Schools. Citing privacy concerns and respect for police matters, it excused itself and school board members for their silence about the Smith debacle and the false information provided to parents. 

“What’s happened to Scott Smith’s daughter and the second victim is something that could happen to all of our children,” says Smith’s friend and fellow Loudoun County parent Elicia Brand. “It’s not a transgender issue. This is a child endangerment issue. 

“We don’t want politics and ideologies and agendas in school … We don’t want sexually explicitly material in schools [or] normalizing pedophilia.” 

There are a lot of infuriating things about this story, and it’s a worthwhile case to bring up for discussion, though I don’t see any relevance to CRT. In bringing up a legitimate a story like this though, the discussion is going to go a lot better if it starts from the place of a news story not written in such an inflammatory and inaccurate way. People lose sight of the actual issue when presented in such an untrustworthy way. That’s one of the reasons that people here harp on sources. 

I went looking for other stories to figure out what the actual facts were in this case. this girl was indeed attacked by this boy and assaulted, though it sounds like it was in a classroom and not a bathroom (not that that matters). The school reported it to authorities as soon as they found out about it and an investigation ensued where he was charged. It is still in the courts. The school board did not know about it because these were juveniles involved and as such it was kept private during the investigation. The people who attacked this father were wrong and he should not have been treated that way. I’m not sure what exactly his behavior was that resulted in him getting tackled and removed, though I do know it involved calling a woman the B-word, which I can’t stand, but I also can’t fault a father for being enraged out of his mind after that happened to his child. I hope his sentence (10 days, not required to serve if he has one year of good behavior) is it overturned, unless there’s something he did that I’m unaware of. The school board owes him an apology for having publicly denied the incident happened. They were unaware of it, but they should make clear publicly that they have now received additional information, and his claim was accurate.

None of which has anything to do with CRT though. 

Edited by KSera
Typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Ksera! 

it  makes me role my eyes when people say, 'just teach history, just the facts, no white people or black people or Spanish people (or whoever) messed up, just teach straight history.' When they also can't discuss a news story without bias throughout.  So I guess the 'just the facts' only applies if the story makes white conservative men look bad. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KSera said:

There are a lot of infuriating things about this story, and it’s a worthwhile case to bring up for discussion, though I don’t see any relevance to CRT. In bringing up a legitimate a story like this though, the discussion is going to go a lot better if it starts from the place of a news story not written in such an inflammatory and inaccurate way. People lose sight of the actual issue when presented in such an untrustworthy way. That’s one of the reasons that people here harp on sources. 

I went looking for other stories to figure out what the actual facts were in this case. this girl was indeed attacked by this boy and assaulted, though it sounds like it was in a classroom and not a bathroom (not that that matters). The school reported it to authorities as soon as they found out about it and an investigation ensued where he was charged. It is still in the courts. The school board did not know about it because these were juveniles involved and as such it was kept private during the investigation. The people who attacked this father were wrong and he should not have been treated that way. I’m not sure what exactly his behavior was that resulted in him getting tackled and removed, though I do know it involved calling a woman the B-word, which I can’t stand, but I also can’t fault a father for being enraged out of his mind after that happened to his child. I hope his sentence (10 days, not required to serve if he has one year of good behavior) is it overturned, unless there’s something he did that I’m unaware of. The school board owes him an apology for having publicly denied the incident happened. They were unaware of it, but they should make clear publicly that they have now received additional information, and his claim was accurate.

None of which has anything to do with CRT though. 

From my understanding his daughter was assaulted in the bathroom. The student that assaulted her was allowed to attend another school this fall and committed another assault in a classroom.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Thank you Ksera! 

it  makes me role my eyes when people say, 'just teach history, just the facts, no white people or black people or Spanish people (or whoever) messed up, just teach straight history.' When they also can't discuss a news story without bias throughout.  So I guess the 'just the facts' only applies if the story makes white conservative men look bad. 

What the heck. You do realize that sexual assaults have happened on/off school grounds by students since…forever? I’ve known of rapes and assaults on/off campus for over 30 years, since I was a HS student. It’s a separate issue from CRT. Totally irrelevant. It’s like me bringing up the Capital assault in this thread..:totally meaningless. It’s got zero to do with CRT or white men overall. This isn’t a current events story WRT to CRT…sexual violence and consent but not CRT. I would only expect it to be discussed, if at all, in the latter context, not the former. The conflation of every issue that’s bad with CRT is tiresome.

Edited by Sneezyone
language
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

What the hell. You do realize that sexual assaults have happened on/off school grounds by students since…forever. It’s a separate issue from CRT. Totally irrelevant. It’s like me bringing up the Capital assault in this thread..:totally meaningless. It’s got zero to do with CRT or white men overall.

I think you may have quoted the wrong person. 🤷🏻‍♀️   
I was talking about how people keep complaining about how they should teach history, English, whatever with zero bias, yet even an assault can't be reported with just the facts, there's so much bias in that article linked above, it's hard to read.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I think you may have quoted the wrong person. 🤷🏻‍♀️   
I was talking about how people keep complaining about how they should teach history, English, whatever with zero bias, yet even an assault can't be reported with just the facts, there's so much bias in that article linked above, it's hard to read.  

Thanks. I misunderstood your point. Agreed. You can’t talk about sexual assault without talking about male privilege. The article didn’t even cover all the facts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sneezyone said:

Thanks. I misunderstood your point. Agreed. You can’t talk about sexual assault without talking about male privilege. The article didn’t even cover all the facts.

Yes, that was what I was trying to say, but I clearly didn't say it well.  Not the first time, won't be the last, I'm sure. 🤦🏻‍♀️😆

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

It's still bad though because it was presented as a "news article." It was very inflammatory. It even included the claim that the DA is funded by George Soros. 

How was it "presented" as a news article when right about it the word "Opinion" is bolded in red?

A cursory search also indicates that Buta Biberaj received a fairly large campaign donation (over $600k) from the Justice and Public Safety PAC.

Info on the Justice and Public Safety PAC:

Justice & Public Safety PAC Donors • OpenSecrets

Largest individual donor: George Soros at over $1 million.

Total spent by that PAC in the 2020 cycle? A little over $2 million.

Source: PAC Profile: Justice & Public Safety • OpenSecrets

Are facts inflammatory?

• Like 1

Sexual assault, by anyone of anyone, is BAD.

4 hours ago, Fritz said:

What does this (troubling) story have to do with ANYONE's definition of "Critical Race Theory"?

Even its most triggered/ defensive/ panicked opponents of any texts associated with any discussion of Race in classrooms? 

Genuinely asking, because it certainly APPEARS that linking this (troubling) incident about sexual assault to CRT is Rufo in Action.

1694318808_rufoonCRT.png.6f21eaaff99702583f368a2fb1c6797e.png

Also super-curious about what this bit from the linked article quote is about:

What... does that purport to mean?  (I hear and understand the associative smear.  And God knows I understand how that particular associative smear functions.

But what literally is the allegation?  That prosecutor offices around the country have specially funded positions paid for not through tax funds but rather through outside programs by shady cabals operating in the darkness?  And that Soros is hand-selecting particular attorneys to conduct work on behalf of the cabal?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Isn't the link 'just' not every story of parents being pissed with the school/school board is about mobbing for racism/against masks? 

See, this kind of thing is just adding fuel to the fire.

Left/mainstream press - 'Man arrested at school meeting for disorderly behaviour' - no mention of the two rapes, or of the other 'righteous' parent who kicked things off by telling the father "I don't believe your daughter" Remember when that was a bad thing?! Sexual assault of child as context for safeguarding concerns. 

Leaves a wide open goal for the right to swoop in and claim to be more trustworthy by....crazy idea...reporting the context. 

It just sucks. 

If journalism would get its act together, that would be a very calming action. 

Re you have to know about male privilege to understand rape, sure. Still not gonna make elementary males do privilege walks, or read stories where maleness is represented as a devil.

I would, in my imaginary school, include female narratives and perspectives in elementary and middle, and offer feminist readings and perspectives as one among several high school lenses. And I would offer a feminist elective at high school level. Of course, in no universe would this actually be allowed to happen 😂

I think it's a little disingenuous to claim zero links between CRT and Queer Theory. They are not the same, but they are not entirely (historically, socially, philosophically ) different. Unfortunately, they also tend to come as a package DEI deal. 

Edited by Melissa Louise
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Isn't the link 'just' not every story of parents being pissed with the school/school board is about mobbing for racism/against masks? 

That's the link. The Loudon County backlash begain initially over the plan to reopen schools in the county.  As that issue moved forward issues with equity programs and how the board was spending money on implementing programs entered the mix. A side issue of dealing with a bathroom/locker room policy had been percolating in the background the whole time.  I am pretty sure a few here no that the issues in Loudon County run much deeper than "CRT" but it suits their purpose to pretend that's not the case.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

See, this kind of thing is just adding fuel to the fire.

Left/mainstream press - 'Man arrested at school meeting for disorderly behaviour' - no mention of the two rapes, or of the other 'righteous' parent who kicked things off by telling the father "I don't believe your daughter" Remember when that was a bad thing?! Sexual assault of child as context for safeguarding concerns. 

Leaves a wide open goal for the right to swoop in and claim to be more trustworthy by....crazy idea...reporting the context. 

It just sucks. 

Re you have to know about male privilege to understand rape, sure. Still not gonna make elementary males do privilege walks, or read stories where maleness is represented as a devil.

I would, in my imaginary school, include female narratives and perspectives in elementary and middle, and offer feminist readings and perspectives as one among several high school lenses. And I would offer a feminist elective at high school level. Of course, in no universe would this actually be allowed to happen 😂

I think it's a little disingenuous to claim zero links between CRT and Queer Theory. They are not the same, but they are not entirely (historically, socially, philosophically ) different. Unfortunately, they also tend to come as a package DEI deal. 

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CRT! Parents with similar issues complain all the time at school board meetings without being arrested. Kids who are bullied unto death, kids who are physically assaulted, kids who are emotionally abused. Perhaps a feminist elective simply hasn't been proposed or requested. Now that you mention it, I will suggest it to our local school board. And no, queer theory and DEI do not come as a package deal.  Acceptance of one does not equal acceptance of the other and NEITHER is discussed at the K-12 level in the US.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Pam in CT said:

Sexual assault, by anyone of anyone, is BAD.

What does this (troubling) story have to do with ANYONE's definition of "Critical Race Theory"?

Even its most triggered/ defensive/ panicked opponents of any texts associated with any discussion of Race in classrooms? 

Genuinely asking, because it certainly APPEARS that linking this (troubling) incident about sexual assault to CRT is Rufo in Action.

But what literally is the allegation?  That prosecutor offices around the country have specially funded positions paid for not through tax funds but rather through outside programs by shady cabals operating in the darkness?  And that Soros is hand-selecting particular attorneys to conduct work on behalf of the cabal?

Soros and his PAC have been heavily involved with DA races around the country in an effort to elect what can be charitably described as extremely progressive DAs.  That is a fact and is shown in campaign contribution records.  These DAs are as a group very soft on crime and many have faced a backlash in recent months due to crime issues in their cities.  I haven't seen any allegations of shady cabals from the mainstream opposition to these DAs.

• Like 1

So, basically, Soros=Heritage Foundation. Zealots abound. Sounds like a push to me. Move along. "Soft on crime" is CRT now? The misdirection attempts are so transparent now that it'd be laughable if the consequences weren't so immediate and problematic for current students.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

It sounds to me like excuse after excuse to not listen to the concerns of POC. It's the left's fault! No, it's mainstream media's fault! It's George Soro's fault! 

IDK but why can't it ever be Rufo's fault for basically inventing this entire hysteria? He even tweeted it out for everyone to see. Or maybe Tucker Carlson for talking about it on his in an inflammatory way. 

No, it's the left's fault. 

And meanwhile they're removing "Number the Stars" from classroom libraries and suspending black principals. 

It would be ridiculous but for the education of millions of kids being negatively impacted. Note NONE have been willing to engage with MATERIAL REALITY on that score.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Yes, I've noticed that. On the last thread, we had a handful of examples of what was claimed to be CRT. Then we had pearl clutching about how intolerant the Left was. No one (other than maybe Fritz) actually voiced support for any of these ridiculous laws but their endless obfuscation provided intellectual cover for the laws. "I'm not in favor of the law in Texas but..." 

And meanwhile a 4th grade teacher is disciplined by the school board for having "This is an Anti-Racist Book" in her classroom library because it offended the faith and morals of a family that donated $1K to the campaign committee of multiple members of the school board.  

But "elites...something something...GEORGE SOROS..." And we're supposed to act like this is a discussion in good faith? 

It turns out that centering the experiences/voices of kids in the schools at issue is really unpopular. That is the standout lesson from Southlake.

• Like 2

Several of you justified the DOJ labeling these parents at school board meetings as "Domestic Terrorist" and having the FBI investigate them. This particular man's case, as is stated in the article, was used by the NSBA to persuade the DOJ to label parents as "Domestic Terrorist". As it turns out this was not about parents making threats against board members over mask mandates. In fact, the school board was trying to cover up the rape of this man's daughter, but he's a "domestic terrorist" according to the DOJ. 

The Daily Wire article is behind a pay wall.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/loudoun-county-schools-covered-up-rape-prosecuted-a-concerned-father-to-protect-its-transgender-agenda

And yes, transgender is lumped in with DEI.

Edited by Fritz
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, goldberry said:

Schools doing it appropriately don't make the news.  Why would they?  I know I have seen people protesting things that were appropriate, like the book about a black kid's experience in a mostly white school.  So is your position that it is nowhere being taught appropriately?  Or that all the protests are only against really inappropriate things?  

The examples shown in the previous CRT thread were from Zoom lessons parents had witnessed and reported. There were none shown of CRT being presented well. 

Edited by Fritz
typo

4 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

It's still bad though because it was presented as a "news article." It was very inflammatory. It even included the claim that the DA is funded by George Soros. 

Right. That was the point I was trying to make to Fritz that it's a worthwhile case to discuss, but presenting an inaccurate/inflammatory opinion piece about it rather than a news piece detracted from people taking it as seriously as it otherwise could have been.

3 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Thank you for continuing to share this when the subject comes up. I think I will start quoting it each time for emphasis. @Fritz Have you seen this and followed the history of how Christipher Rufo successfully achieved what he specifically states above he set out to do?

2 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

It just sucks. 

I agree with this point. I was struck when looking for good news reporting on this incident that it was primarily very conservative outlets reporting it as an outraged "boy in a skirt!" thing with a lot of inaccurate facts, and the mainstream and more liberal press either did not report on it, or in a few cases talked about the dad being removed from the meeting without enough context. That is a glaring problem. It was actually Newsweek where I found the best, most neutral and informative reporting on it.

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

And no, queer theory and DEI do not come as a package deal.  Acceptance of one does not equal acceptance of the other

Agree. There's a lot of coorelation of beliefs on these things, but they are not a package deal and one does not equal the other.

47 minutes ago, Fritz said:

In fact, the school board was trying to cover up the rape of this man's daughter, but he's a "domestic terrorist" according to the DOJ. 

The Daily Wire article is behind a pay wall.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/loudoun-county-schools-covered-up-rape-prosecuted-a-concerned-father-to-protect-its-transgender-agenda

Honestly, could you try to start finding some more reliable sources to share here if you want to share news articles and discuss seriously? There's plenty to be upset about in this case without starting from a place of misinformation. I found decent reporting on it in the much more reliable Newsweek (not one of my usual sources, but they aren't bad). The school board was NOT trying to cover up what happened to this man's daughter, they did not know about it. Loudoun County Officials Address 'Misinformation' Over School Assaults

The statement did confirm that the principle at Stone Bridge High School reported the allegation of sexual assault immediately to police on May 28, but their school board members were not aware of it until the recent media reports as details of it were not made public.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Fritz said:

The examples shown in the previous CRT thread were from Zoom lessons parents had witnessed and reported. There were none shown of CRT being presently well. 

It’s not possible to teach CRT “well” or at all in K12.  It’s college/grad school level material.  As has been pointed out many, many times, teaching about things that happened to black people in history is not CRT.  It’s history. Which can be taught well, or poorly, but either way is not CRT. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Here’s a sample of what’s been going on in my state. In some cases, especially in rural areas, law enforcement (primarily Sheriff Offices) is not willing to help when there are threats to school board members. So then where do they go for help?

https://oregoncapitalchronicle.com/2021/10/14/facing-threats-superintendents-and-school-boards-turn-to-legislature-law-enforcement/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, KSera said:

Right. That was the point I was trying to make to Fritz that it's a worthwhile case to discuss, but presenting an inaccurate/inflammatory opinion piece about it rather than a news piece detracted from people taking it as seriously as it otherwise could have been.

Thank you for continuing to share this when the subject comes up. I think I will start quoting it each time for emphasis. @Fritz Have you seen this and followed the history of how Christipher Rufo successfully achieved what he specifically states above he set out to do?

I agree with this point. I was struck when looking for good news reporting on this incident that it was primarily very conservative outlets reporting it as an outraged "boy in a skirt!" thing with a lot of inaccurate facts, and the mainstream and more liberal press either did not report on it, or in a few cases talked about the dad being removed from the meeting without enough context. That is a glaring problem. It was actually Newsweek where I found the best, most neutral and informative reporting on it.

Agree. There's a lot of coorelation of beliefs on these things, but they are not a package deal and one does not equal the other.

Honestly, could you try to start finding some more reliable sources to share here if you want to share news articles and discuss seriously? There's plenty to be upset about in this case without starting from a place of misinformation. I found decent reporting on it in the much more reliable Newsweek (not one of my usual sources, but they aren't bad). The school board was NOT trying to cover up what happened to this man's daughter, they did not know about it. Loudoun County Officials Address 'Misinformation' Over School Assaults

Glad you noticed the dearth of reporting on this incident by the liberal press. Why is that? 

I don't follow twitter or whatever the posting above is of. Again, we heard over and over the examples from the Zoom classes were not CRT and yet, they were exactly what was/is being taught as CRT in public schools. Here we go again with don't believe your lying eyes.

This post was not about CRT but about the DOJ labeling parents as domestic terrorist and calling in the FBI to investigate. This man was sited in the request to Biden to call in the DOJ.

And yes, the superintendent was covering up the rape of this man's daughter.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/northern-virginia/teen-accused-of-sexual-assaults-in-2-virginia-high-schools/2831314/

https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/10/13/virginia-school-system-deflects-charges-it-covered-up-rape-of-ninth-grade-girl-by-gender-fluid-boy/

Edited by Fritz