Menu

News: Costco is once again placing limits on purchases of toilet paper, paper towels and cleaning supplies.

Arcadia

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

The price of apples has gone up for me. At least 25¢ per pound. I was surprised by the shift since this is apple season. I assume it is a ripple from the transportation bottleneck. I took it as a bag omen.

It could be because Michigan and parts of Wisconsin lost 60% of the apple crop due to the late freeze, followed by our midsummer drought. Normally apples are dirt cheap here, but the price is up because of this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I've had trouble finding Gatorade at both Costco and my grocery store. DS16 runs cross country, and we like to have it on hand for his meets.

I had a colonoscopy last week and the prep required 64 oz of Gatorade, but only the clear stuff. I had to go to 4 stores, and finally found the last six-pack of Glacier Cherry at that 4th stop! There were no larger bottles anywhere.

Dh has his colonoscopy scheduled for November and we're already on the hunt for 64 oz of Glacier Cherry... 😂

Edited by Acadie

32 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My,

apples here are $6kg  often more

I know, I've been spoiled. Apples are the fruit I pull out to tide my Fruitarians over to my next grocery trip.

53 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

It could be because Michigan and parts of Wisconsin lost 60% of the apple crop due to the late freeze, followed by our midsummer drought. Normally apples are dirt cheap here, but the price is up because of this.

I believe it. Same thing has happened to soybeans in my neighborhood.  Covid effects and climate change effects are getting muddled.  Hopefully the cost increase is helping whoever it is upstream that needs it. I'm still buying apples - and planning to restock the toilet paper closet. This week I started a family familiarity campaign on bidets. 😉 Good to have a backup plan.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Do they have a sugar free verison? 

They make a low-sugar version (G2) in a tub, but I've only seen the powdered sugar-free version (Gatorade Zero) in single-serving packets, which will fill a 20 oz water bottle. It's a bit more expensive per serving than the big 5 lb tub of regular gatorade, but still cheaper than buying bottles. And you can also get individual servings of powdered Propel sugar-free electrolyte drink. The Propel and Gatorade Zero powders work out to about 28-29 cents per 20 oz serving. You can get the low-sugar G2 powder from Amazon in a pack of 3 tubs that make 18 gallons in total for $25, so a little more than the regular gatorade (9 gallons for $10).

G2 (3 tubs that make 6 gallons each)
https://smile.amazon.com/Gatorade-Thirst-Quencher-Powder-Fruit/dp/B01H74NO7M/ref=sr_1_22?dchild=1&keywords=Gatorade+Zero+pouch&qid=1633067138&s=grocery&sr=1-22

Gatorade Zero (50 packets)
https://smile.amazon.com/Gatorade-Powder-Flavor-Variety-Count/dp/B082G3WBK4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Gatorade%2BZero%2Bpouch&qid=1633067138&s=grocery&sr=1-3&th=1

Propel Sugar Free (50 packets)
https://smile.amazon.com/Propel-Packets-Four-Flavor-Electrolytes-Vitamins/dp/B0789FRV55/ref=pd_bxgy_2/146-6282120-4053547?pd_rd_w=2h9Jz&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=B363KA01BJPETVRE754X&pd_rd_r=0c95188f-9c28-44b6-a9ba-74a00ab6f971&pd_rd_wg=Is7XH&pd_rd_i=B0789FRV55&psc=1

Edited by Corraleno

My Walmart has seemed to be fully stocked on TP the past couple of weeks, with plenty of every brand. But the regular grocery stores are hit and miss. They've always had some, but might be completely out of one brand or maybe have just a few packages of several brands. Yesterday the store we were in was about 30 percent stocked on the TP aisle (we didn't need any, I just happened to notice).

I've noticed that a lot of stores are sporadically out or not well stocked on just about all paper products--PT, TP, coffee filters, napkins, etc. So I'm trying to stay a little ahead on all of those. Especially coffee filters. 😉 

FWIW, my Gatorade drinkers despise the powdered stuff. The Gatorade stocks in our stores have been low, especially for the G2, but they've always had some.

21 hours ago, SusanC said:

The price of apples has gone up for me. At least 25¢ per pound. I was surprised by the shift since this is apple season.

We use toilet paper for runny noses as well. More economical for us than tissue paper.

19 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My,

apples here are $6kg  often more

Apples are ranging from $1.29/lb to $2.49/lb here. About $2.84/kg to $5.49/kg.  I think my nearest large apple farm is about 49 miles/79km away.

Almost everything is limited at our local Sam's Club, but especially drinks of any kind, water, meat, and toiletries.  Prices have gone up significantly on all meat products at the local grocery and somewhat at Sam's Club.  We have a lot of empty shelves. My current hunt is for Prego that my vegetarian kiddo practically lives on.  Bottled water is the hardest thing to come by right now for a family of our size because of the limits everywhere.  

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

We use toilet paper for runny noses as well. More economical for us than tissue paper.

This turns me into Rudolf the Reindeer in about two goes, so I cut myself some flannel handkerchiefs from flannel remnants last year. They don't leave the house, and no one else likes to speak of them 😂, but they do the job.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

. My current hunt is for Prego that my vegetarian kiddo practically lives on.  Bottled water is the hardest thing to come by right now for a family of our size because of the limits everywhere.  

If you have a Grocery Outlet store near you, that is usually where we typically find an overstock of Prego and bottled water. Their soda tends to be overstocked too at my local Grocery Outlet stores. No limits yet at the stores here. Dollar Tree sometimes have Prego in store. Smart & Final has large bottles of Prego as well. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

Almost everything is limited at our local Sam's Club, but especially drinks of any kind, water, meat, and toiletries.  Prices have gone up significantly on all meat products at the local grocery and somewhat at Sam's Club.  We have a lot of empty shelves. My current hunt is for Prego that my vegetarian kiddo practically lives on.  Bottled water is the hardest thing to come by right now for a family of our size because of the limits everywhere.  

BJs here has Prego. If you don’t have a membership you can still order via Instacart. Not sure you have BJs or Instacart but wanted to share. We also have a Prego addict in house!

• Like 1

Dh did the grocery shopping today.  Takeaways from his trip:

-milk is up at least 33%. 

-steak has gotten so expensive that we have bought our last cuts for a while.  We pulled out the vegetarian cookbook we compiled to do things like burrito bowls and chickpea curry next week. Usually steak is about once a month here, but that's not going to happen.

-he finally found toilet paper.  Everyone here has a septic system, and the stores sell a mix of styles.  All have been out of the septic safe stuff except the single ply scratchy stuff found in public restrooms.  He grabbed two medium packages because they were out of the large ones we usually get.  I wouldn't mind finding one more pack to stash as a just in case.

I've never seen him so dejected after coming back from the store.  Normally he loves it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

If you have a Grocery Outlet store near you, that is usually where we typically find an overstock of Prego and bottled water. Their soda tends to be overstocked too at my local Grocery Outlet stores. No limits yet at the stores here. Dollar Tree sometimes have Prego in store. Smart & Final has large bottles of Prego as well. 

We do have a Dollar Tree.  I try not to support them (pushing out all the Mom and Pop stores in my area), but I may give in for Prego if it goes too much longer.  I found two tiny jars for $4 at a local grocery last night.

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

BJs here has Prego. If you don’t have a membership you can still order via Instacart. Not sure you have BJs or Instacart but wanted to share. We also have a Prego addict in house!

We don't have a BJs. 🙁

10 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

-steak has gotten so expensive that we have bought our last cuts for a while.  We pulled out the vegetarian cookbook we compiled to do things like burrito bowls and chickpea curry next week. Usually steak is about once a month here, but that's not going to happen.

I've never seen him so dejected after coming back from the store.  Normally he loves it. 

It's depressing.  Even strip steaks at Sam's is now $13/pound.  Ground beef is $4.50-6/pd.  Chuck roast are $7/pd.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Milk and eggs has definitely gone up in prices. We often buy Horizon Organics milk from Grocery Outlet as their going to expire milk often goes for 99 cents for the half gallon size. The prices for one gallon organic milk at Trader Joe’s and Safeway/Vons did not go up much. 

We don’t eat steaks. Minced beef prices are quite stable where I am. We use minced beef for meatballs and patties. 

I have not noticed price increases for the foods we eat (produce, grains, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds). 

I was going to check the tp situation at Walmart when I was there this morning, but I totally forgot. Amazon mistakenly sent us four cases instead of one with our last Subscribe & Save, so we are set for quite a while.