Menu

Library book removal

SquirrellyMama

21 hours ago, Elfknitter.# said:

Sounds like they need a basic class on collection maintenance and weeding. I'm going to assume there is not a collection development policy at this library?

Info from ALA: https://www.ala.org/tools/challengesupport/selectionpolicytoolkit/weeding

Edited by SquirrellyMama

Is it possible someone returned it to the library with that note attached? 

I’m pretty conservative and that is not a book I would have chosen for our family, and it would bother me to know a public library was removing it from circulation for that reason - it’s inappropriate. 

17 hours ago, TechWife said:

Is it possible someone returned it to the library with that note attached? 

I’m pretty conservative and that is not a book I would have chosen for our family, and it would bother me to know a public library was removing it from circulation for that reason - it’s inappropriat

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

@SquirrellyMama, do you happen to remember the title? (Just curiosity from someone who is interested in Christian children's books and in angels!)

I don't remember unfortunately. The poem went something like, "Angels are with me throughout the day, when I sleep and when I play..." It had pictures of little cherubs following this kid around. Helping him out.

Kelly

Wow, as a para-librarian I am almost speechless, almost. That is no reason for removing a book from a collection. What happens to freedom of information if the people responsible for collection development and maintenance remove all the books they do not agree with? If you do bring this up to them in the future, turn it around and ask them how they would like it if the shoe were on the other foot and those of us who were liberal, atheists(insert pretty much anything here) because we don't agree with the content 🤬 This goes against what libraries are all about🤯

Do you have access to the policies that are used for collection development and weeding? 

Edited by stormy weather
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I work at a small public library. The director and Children's Librarian are both very conservative. To them I am a Christian, but voted for Biden so how Christian can I be. 

The other day when I came in there was a withdrawn board book with a note that said "Not Theologically Sound". It was a board book that showed angels following a small boy around and a poem talking about angels. 

I laughed because it seemed so silly, but the more I think about it I get more disturbed by it. 

Yes, I know it is a board book, but it really bothers me. I'm probably the most liberal person who works there and most true liberals would find me way too conservative 😁

Next time I see a note like that on a book I am going to bring up the thought that "Not Theologically Sound" has no purpose in a public library.

Kelly

Whose theology? LOL

There certainly are theologies that teach that God created angels and that angels watch over humans. 

Are any books that don’t meet the librarian’s world view subject to being removed?

What a dangerous precedent.

• Like 1

Literally illegal. Like, no American court would ever decide that was an acceptable reason. Also against the ALA's Library Bill of Rights.

The ALA has a lot of resources for understanding the legalities around this. Freedom Forum has this summary of the case law around this:
https://www.freedomforuminstitute.org/first-amendment-center/topics/freedom-of-speech-2/libraries-first-amendment-overview/banned-books/ 

You could absolutely be a whistleblower about this. You can even be anonymous about it if you want. If you live somewhere with actual journalists, I would contact a local paper. If you don't, you can still put it anonymously on local groups. This is pretty messed up. If you want to try and appeal to your superiors, you can point out that they're opening the library up to a serious lawsuit. Put the fear of the ACLU's deep pockets in them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, pinball said:

Whose theology? LOL

There certainly are theologies that teach that God created angels and that angels watch over humans. 

Are any books that don’t meet the librarian’s world view subject to being removed?

What a dangerous precedent.

No, we have books on many subjects that they wouldn't consider "Theologically Sound", this is the first I've seen this happen. 

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

Literally illegal. Like, no American court would ever decide that was an acceptable reason. Also against the ALA's Library Bill of Rights.

The ALA has a lot of resources for understanding the legalities around this. Freedom Forum has this summary of the case law around this:
https://www.freedomforuminstitute.org/first-amendment-center/topics/freedom-of-speech-2/libraries-first-amendment-overview/banned-books/ 

You could absolutely be a whistleblower about this. You can even be anonymous about it if you want. If you live somewhere with actual journalists, I would contact a local paper. If you don't, you can still put it anonymously on local groups. This is pretty messed up. If you want to try and appeal to your superiors, you can point out that they're opening the library up to a serious lawsuit. Put the fear of the ACLU's deep pockets in them.

Yeah, not going to do this. I never asked if there was another reason it was being taken out. The note was not in good taste but it might have been withdrawn for other reasons. We are withdrawing all sorts of books right now due to low check out numbers. And, no I couldn't be anonymous because only 3 of us saw that note.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

Honestly, I'm upset about this, too. And I kind of want to contact the library and/or the ALA myself. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Honestly, I'm upset about this, too. And I kind of want to contact the library and/or the ALA myself. 

Please don't,  it is small town and I will be never get a job again. Even if I moved something like that would follow me. 

Edited by SquirrellyMama

6 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Please don't,  it is small town and I will be never get a job again. Even if I moved something like that would follow me. 

Well, I don't have the information I would need to track down your location, anyway. However, I do want to emphasize -- as a person who worked for my county library and continues to be a donor and booster -- that this action is absolutely antithetical to what libraries are supposed to be about. If the book was removed from a public institution on religious grounds, that is beyond distressing and should be addressed.

14 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Well, I don't have the information I would need to track down your location, anyway. However, I do want to emphasize -- as a person who worked for my county library and continues to be a donor and booster -- that this action is absolutely antithetical to what libraries are supposed to be about. If the book was removed from a public institution on religious grounds, that is beyond distressing and should be addressed.

I get it, I really do. Trust me, I do. I feel like I am the voice of some reason and will step it up.