Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

30 minutes ago, Katy said:

IMG_9459.jpeg

They have lot of pajama days in college.

there was an induction ceremony for 2dd's doctoral program.  They were required to show up in professional dress.   I will always chuckle at the professor who said how nice it was to see them dressed so nicely, as she expected she'd see them all in pjs (or scrubs) starting the next day.

41 minutes ago, Katy said:

IMG_9479.jpeg

I was recently listening to a bit of Camile Paglia.  Her grandfather bought her grandmother a washing machine.  She sent it back.  She wanted to continue going to the laundromat to do wash - where she could visit/gossip with her friends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katy said:

IMG_9499.jpeg

Not about a 3yo but people in our hs group used to tell me that ds, who has raging ADHD just needed more exercise. Get him to run outdoors. Put him to work in the yard. Tire him out. Those people have no idea what that does to a kid with hyperactive/impulsive type ADHD. I always wanted to say "Take him for a week and try it. Then come back and talk to me."

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Katy said:

IMG_9464.jpeg

When my daughter was about two, we took her to the Monterey aquarium and saw all manner of intriguing sea life. When we asked about the day, she said her favorite thing was the paper towel dispenser! (It was right next to the manta ray petting pool and thus at the perfect height for her.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Just now, bolt. said:

Okay, maybe I'm being silly, but: what poem is this?

William Carlos Williams’s poem:  “This is just to say I have eaten the plums that were in the ice box.  And that you were probably saving for breakfast. Forgive me.  They were delicious - so sweet and so cold.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

William Carlos Williams’s poem:  “This is just to say I have eaten the plums that were in the ice box.  And that you were probably saving for breakfast. Forgive me.  They were delicious - so sweet and so cold.”

The original "Sorry, not sorry"

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

That's one of the most famous poems of all time?  I don't think so. . .

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Must be Americana. I haven't heard it. (I'm also not seeing how it's particularly poetic?)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Wait, we aren’t supposed to say that?  I think of myself as pretty gentle, and I absolutely say things like that all the time. Minus the cursing.  

Idk, I laughed because I said something similar less than 5 minutes before reading this, so I figured I was doing it wrong. 😂

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That's one of the most famous poems of all time?  I don't think so. . .

It really is.  

2 minutes ago, bolt. said:

Must be Americana. I haven't heard it. (I'm also not seeing how it's particularly poetic?)

He is a quintessential modern American poet.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I think it loses something if you take away the formatting for the poem (which I agree is one of the most famous!). Sorry for larger text, but here's a c&p from poetryfoundation.org: 

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I somehow got Little Jack Horner in my head - stuck in his thumb, pulled out a plum, and said what a good boy am I 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4