Menu

What color are your rooms? and kitchen and bathroom cupboards.

Janeway

What color are your rooms? And then say if you like them or not. If you are giving the name of the color, you can add a slight description. And if you have an idea to what you like or want, include that too. I am trying to get ideas!

Kitchen.....Sheraton Sage. I have always liked this. It is the color it was when we moved in. It is a medium green to the forest green type color.

Dining room....Silver Sage...I love the color, but not sure it is good for the room it is meant for.

Rest of the main living areas.....Accessible Beige or Nomadic Desert....one is a very light greige and the other is very similar in color, but a little more tan in it. The bathrooms are Nomadic Desert too. 

Husband wants to pick new colors, especially the kitchen. I am thinking the bathrooms too.

Also, our trim is a greige or taupe type color. This limits us on everything else. Our kitchen is dated. The cupboards in the kitchen are a medium stained wood. The cupboards in two of my bathrooms are painted the same color as the trim. I love the light sage color and am wondering if I should consider painting the bathroom cupboards or walls that color. Not sure. No idea what to do with the kitchen. I am considering just staining a darker color. The counter tops are granite, but a darker/medium color in the kitchen.

Love to hear what you all love in your own homes or would like to do in your own homes!

Kitchen and dining are Glidden Sunbeam (the sweetest, sunniest light yellow that makes you smile when you walk in), with white cabinets and trim (and a few dark red accents as concessions to DH).  I'

Bathroom is Glidden Atlantic Blue (light brightish blue but not pale), with grey cabinetry and white trim and white built in shelves.

Our new bathroom/laundry room will be pale aqua with white trim.  Not sure about the built ins yet.

Family room and office are warm cream, as are several hallways and other rooms, Glidden Gold Coast White, I think.  The built ins in the family room and office are painted with a medium stain, can't remember which one DH used.

Foyer is a sage green, again with stained built ins.

My schoolroom is currently the cream plus French Country Blue.  I like it, but the blue is more periwinkle -- it's still pretty, but it's turned out to be a bit of an odd shade for coordinating, so I'm likely going to redo it in a few years.  Not sure what color yet.  I really want a bold teal somewhere, but husband is very skeptical.  He thought the Atlantic Blue for the bathroom would be too dark because it's not a huge space, but I liked it, so we went with it -- and then he decided that I was right haha.

I love all the colors we've chosen so far!  And yes, we have a lot of custom built ins because my husband loves me. 😉

Edited by happypamama

Pretty much basic neutral colors with certain parts updated and others not. For example, pretty solid surface white counters in the kitchen with white ceramic tile backsplash. Modern-looking mixed grays wide vinyl plank floor in kitchen. Benjamin Moore Gray Owl gray paint and beautiful sill length lacy white curtains that you can see through. It’s all beautiful except...we have dated wood stained cabinets. They are older and solid wood and pretty. But dated. Dh refuses to paint them. I could do so much with my kitchen if I could do that. So they will be stained forever. I let different colors of Fiestaware mugs accent my kitchen. And I hang Fiestaware kitchen towels for a matching pop of color. I’m happy with it and have accepted we will forever have stained trim.

Bathrooms have ceramic tile floors. 

Rest of house is off white walls and medium oak flooring. Same dated wood trim. 

Oh well. At least it never shows dirt. 🙂

I like neutral walls with stronger colored furniture.  Currently my house inside is a color called Kwal Mushroom Basket but I'm slowly painting over that with SW Agreeable gray.  Cabinets and floors are midtone wood but thinking about refinishing them.  I've been accenting it with blues, greens, teals but also have a bit of wine color accents.  Office and bathroom are a deep blue not quite navy which I love. 

I like deep, saturated colors, but I have to save them for accents because my wood is mainly a medium-dark brown/cherry and my house is in full shade.  My downstairs walls are all divine white (a cream that goes with sea salt) sea salt ( it looks like a pale-neutral blue in one room and green-blue in another) and a medium sage green.  I tend to accent with brick reds or cranberry, deep sapphire blues, a natural hemp color, and some black.  My house is mid-century with a lot of clean lines so I can't get too fussy with moldings.  

Even with all the time in the world with this pandemic, I am incapable of choosing kitchen backsplash tile and I might want to change my kitchen counters.  I'm seriously leaning towards stenciling that bare wall because it's cheap, I can change my mind, and I can customize the color . . . and I'm due for project that's not a BIG project.

My current hold up is that I NEED to make some sort of portable palette that I can carry with me with paint and fabric samples so that coordinating colors is simplified when I'm out and about. I need a white as a background for my stenciled backsplash, but I don't think I can choose that, or accent paint colors, until everything else is in one place.  I've been coordinating stuff to a piece of fabric one at a time, but that's not too efficient.

Edited by KungFuPanda

45 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I decorate with sculpture, have lots of wood and metal, carvings of wood and stone in furniture, on the walls. Lots of saturated color, think reds, marigold yellows, turquoise, parrot green, peacock blue. Lots of embroidery, mirrors, sequins. Lots of artwork.

So we have very, very beige and neutral walls and furniture. 

My design philosophy is using accessories to shine. I do not want the walls and furniture to be part of it, I want them to meld into the background. 

Even in the kitchen, my stars are usually the colors of my dishes and appliances. 

So think about your design philosophy and how your house looks as a whole. 

Those colors sound absolutely gorgeous!

• Like 1

Bathrooms and kitchen are a warm cream wall with cherry cupboards in dark cherry finish. Cream marble sinks for the bathrooms. Chocolate brown, rose, and black flecked counter top in the kitchen with black sink and appliances and dark bronzed faucet. 13 ft ceilings and lots of natural light as well as large windows in big spaces so all of the dark works. 

We just bought a really big home south of Huntsville which our daughter and son knows and grandsons will live in for a few years, we will vacation there often, and then eventually they will buy their own home, and we will move in with my mother who will be there six months of the year. Daughter and so are working on color schemes now, but won't finalize until we take possession July 23. So I will have to let you know what we do in about six weeks.

I love color. And know I’m in the minority because very few neutrals here … but here goes.

Main level:

Kitchen is a golden yellow. Red, terracotta and turquoise accents.  White trim, wood cabinets.

Living room is a warm, muddy taupe.  

Entryway opening to second floor hall (very high ceilings, not a space to experiment with color, for me) is warm white.

Office is a warm, light brown.

Dining room is red.  I love a red dining room.

Second floor: 

DS’s room is a deep, deep purple.  Looks almost black.

DD’s room is faux finished taupe with warm pink undertones.

My mother’s room (formerly the extra bedroom) needs an update.  It’s a light, muted blue.

Master is faux finished in a light seafoam.  Master bath is a deep teal, white accents.

Shared bath for kids and guest is very pale lavender with multi color large polka dots.

Basement level:

Large bonus room is a dark blue, sort of a denim.  Bright white accents.

Guest room and hall are a warm yellow that changes with the light.  My favorite color in the house, aside from the master.

• Like 2

From the previous owner: most of the house is a warm light brown, a sort of cappuccino colour, with some rooms a light sagey grey. They go well together and are neutral without being completely uninteresting.

The kitchen is navy blue, which pairs well with warm reddish wood cabinets and dark grey rustic tiles.

We're slowly repainting this house....this is the longest we've lived somewhere without repainting after buying it, but we bought a house with fresh paint in really neutral grieges.  One of the colors has lavender undertones, and that's what we've been painting over into worldly grey, which has brown undertones. 

I REALLY liked the color Revere Pewter for our TX house. We had the granite that almost all Texans have--Venetian Gold---and so we stuck with creamy colors in the kitchen and brownier grieges.  We did use Comfort Grey (which is a green grey I think you might like) and navy in that house.

Honestly, two of the colors you mention are popular right now---accessible beige and sheraton sage.  If you like those really earthy tones, you might like this palette: https://kadilakhomes.com/2020/09/23/myfavoritepaintcolorsfromthesherwinwilliams2021forecast/ (scroll all of the way down)

I have really loved Urbane Bronze in person, Rosemary is a favorite of mine, and Naval is lovely too.  I would mix that with a lot of neutral creams and that accessible beige. 

Or this palette: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-collection/color-forecast/2021/sanctuary

This is the one I was looking for earlier and couldn't find.... I wouldn't actually use the Actuarian Brown as a paint color--it would be like for a leather couch, or a throw pillow, or an accent colors. Same with the Canyon Clay. I would maybe consider Canyon Clay for a very small room--like a bathroom, if it was balanced by a lot of cream or white tile in the bathroom and I had the right art for it.

Edited by prairiewindmomma

Our downstairs (kitchen, dining room, family room, and living room) is open floor plan.  We painted the majority of it grey (Behr Galactic Tint), with a few accent walls in blue (Behr Snowboard).  I have been pretty happy with it, especially now that we finally finished to project and got the stairwell painted.

The downstairs powder room is purple with very light (almost white) lavender wainscotting, and green accents.  I am not a fan of the purple, it is not the shade I was wanting, but DH doesn't want to change it.  If I get my way in the future we will repaint the purple to a deeper less reddish shade of purple or something in the pale green family.

The laundry room is tan.  I would like it a different color but am not motivated to change it.

The master bedroom is dark dreary blues and blue-greys.  It is very depressing for me.  I want to repaint to a soft white with a navy accent wall.  Our curtains are navy with silver stars, so I am using that as a inspiration.

I have plans to paint the mater bathroom, eventually.  I want to do it in a pinkish color (Behr Highland Thistle) with accents in green (Behr Chinese Jade) and white (Behr Dutch White).  I really want to paint the cupboards, but I haven't fully convinced DH yet.

We have given the kids permission to pick paint for their rooms and the shared bathroom, but so far they are just going with what is there like tans, blues, and muted green.

When I bought my current house, most of the rooms (including ceilings!!) had been painted a dark orangey-tan, which I hated, so I repainted every room except the kids' bathroom, half bath, and laundry room, which were (and still are) gray. I will eventually redo the laundry room in SW Sea Salt and paint the 70s wood cabinets BM Simply White. I'm thinking of repainting the half-bath white, painting the cabinet a gray-green, and replacing the chrome faucet and cabinet hardware with matte black. I will probably just leave the kids' bathroom gray since it has a white cabinet, white fixtures, and a black granite countertop.

My bedroom and bath are SW Sea Salt, curtains and bedding are white linen (plus a cotton quilt in a color that matches Sea Salt), and artwork includes antique prints of birds eggs in shades of blue-green and brown. 

DD's room is light aqua, with white furniture and B&W bedding, and DS's is pale gray with navy curtains and blue & gray bedding. (The paint is Behr, but I don't remember the color names).

I painted the formal living room, dining room (used as an office/homeschool room), entry hall, stairwell, and upstairs and downstairs hallways (which are all connected, without doors) BM China White, which is a neutral off-white. The entry and living room have vaulted wood ceilings, but all the other ceilings and all trim in the house = BM Simply White. I wanted a neutral background for art and antiques in those areas.

The family room is BM Kendall Charcoal, which is a dark charcoal gray with warm undertones. I absolutely love it with lots of white (white ceiling and trim, white linen sofa and curtains, white bookcases, artwork with white mats, etc.) combined with hardwood floors and antique furniture in warm brown tones. 

The kitchen has (old, cheap) white cabinets and ugly granite tile in black and pinkish-brown. I repainted the dark orangey-yellow walls griege (BM Litchfield Gray); I don't love but I had to pick something that didn't clash with the granite. I've wanted to gut and totally redo the kitchen since the day I bought it, but thought it would be easier to wait until the kids were out of the house. And then just as I was starting to choose cabinets and appliances, covid hit. Hoping to get it done sometime in the next year. The remodel will include white shaker cabinets, quartz counters, and hardwood floors. The kitchen is connected to the family room, so I may paint the cabinet part of the kitchen white and do the eating area Kendall Charcoal to match the family room. (For anyone who might be thinking "ewwww, dark gray in a kitchen???" the eating nook is fairly small, one wall has a 6' slider that opens onto the deck, with white curtains, another wall has a large antique pine hutch that's partly painted white and part wood, and the third wall will be a gallery wall with a mix of antique prints, paintings, and other art work. So I think dark gray walls in that area would recede into the background and make all the white and artwork pop.)