Menu

Further mysteries of my house and the blue sequins

Terabith

Awhile ago, I posted about finding a blue sequin in the cat's water bowl and then another blue sequin in Obama's bed.  We never found the origin of these.  

Today, all of a sudden, a pile of about 50 blue sequins appeared in the middle of the floor on the border between the hallway and the living room.  Not exactly in a pile, but not scattered all over and I swept them up.  They're all within probably nine inches of each other.  

Nobody in the house owns any items with blue sequins.  My oldest is going to theater class at school three times a week in person now, but I'm driving them to and from, and the first blue sequins predate anyone regularly leaving the house.  My kids can't drive.  There's nowhere within walking distance.  They don't seem to be entertained or amused.  Honestly, I'm the only person who even seems befuddled.  My husband is just like, "Well, yeah, the house just does stuff like that sometimes."  

What is up?  Where are they coming from?  Why are they impossible to sweep up?

• Haha 7
  • Confused 3

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Does Obama go outside?  

Random things happen at our house too and I think just don't even try to figure it out anymore. 

Obama does go outside.  I sort of figured he brought the first couple in on his fur.  I don't think he could have brought in a whole pile of 50 of them.  We don't have a cat door, so we let him in and out.  I think we would have noticed if he was holding a container of sequins in his teeth.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

I think someone is pranking you.  

That would be majorly out of character for everyone in the house.  

Do you remember the fact that my carport spontaneously generates rain when it's not raining?  

My house is weird.  

• Haha 4

I don’t know but I sometimes follow a makeup guru on YouTube, Mykie. I think her channel is Glam and Gore.  She does both pretty makeup and special effects monster makeup gor horror movies (or she did before she went full time on YouTube).  Anyway, once, years ago she spilled a bottle of green glitter when she was doing a green glitter makeup look. She moved twice after that and the mess followed her. At one point like 3 years later she found some in the garbage disposal at another apartment. She’d moved twice since the glitter spill. Plastic sparkles spread like wildfire. 

Does anyone in your house have a throw pillow with reversible sequins?  I had a cat toy with sequins once too. Have you checked DH’s closet to make sure he isn’t keeping secret sequins from you?

• Haha 2

There IS a vent/ air return right next to where the pile is.  I guess they could have conceivably come from there. 

No throw pillow with reversible sequins, but that's a good thought.   

I used to teach preschool, so I'm pretty careful with my glitter/ sequins.  I DID used to use sequins a fair amount in craft stuff, but it's been years.  

Edited by Terabith

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

There IS a vent/ air return right next to where the pile is.  I guess they could have conceivably come from there. 

No throw pillow with reversible sequins, but that's a good thought.   

I used to teach preschool, so I'm pretty careful with my glitter/ sequins.  I DID used to use sequins a fair amount in craft stuff, but it's been years.  

You totally need to open up that air vent and look inside.  

Also, it's definitely a portal connected to the monolith. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Did Obama possibly vomit up a pile of sequins from something he found and ate outside? Or were they all dry and sparkly?

They're all dry and sparkly.  It's like someone opened a bag of sequins, poured them on the floor, and then the vent blew them around a little bit.  

Any chance of one of those metal threshold strips on the floor near the pile?   Dance mom here, sequins, glitter, feather and beads will show up for years, and if you get a pile on a floor near a door with a threshold strip, they will hid under that strip for years until the perfect storm forces them out. 

That is odd. Hope you solve the mystery.  Your cat may have found a toy outside and is hiding it from you and playing with it in the middle of the night.  Did you have any Christmas Ornaments that had sequins on it.    Also look on the bottom of shoes.   Have any of the kids made posters or pictures or are into crafts?  Maybe a cheerleader or ballroom dancer ghost?  LOL!   

And yes, we too have issues with sequins and sparkles that show up for years. We even had a customer bring in a stereo covered in sparkles.  We told him to take it home and clean it all off before he brings it in again.  Despite that, we've been plagued with sparkles in random places ever since. 

Edited by Robin M

I think they are in somebody's pocket, maybe a jacket pocket. Maybe a kid put them in there long ago, and just started using the clothing item again. The little pile is a perfect for an, 'I pulled my hand out of my pocket' moment leading to a mess.

(My DD glued a pocket of her raincoat shut trying to bring home 'slime' from an event. She knew I wouldn't want slime in the house, so she was hiding it, and forgot about it.)

• Like 3

Oh, a packrat!  Packrats love shiny stuff. And if it’s afraid of Obama it might have dropped them  when Obama was near.

I forgot about them because I don’t think they’re up here in the Midwest. But we had one in my ancient childhood Florida house. My mom found a weird stash every time she did spring & fall cleaning.  She hired an exterminator and everything but never got rid of it.

After my parents divorced and my stepmother moved in she was convinced there was a ghost who loved to move shiny stuff. 😂 She was closer to a hoarder than a twice a year clean everything type though. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/24/2021 at 8:47 PM, Terabith said:

That would be majorly out of character for everyone in the house.  

Do you remember the fact that my carport spontaneously generates rain when it's not raining?  

My house is weird.  

@Terabith I can commiserate with you since I, too, have an odd house.  Mostly we have learned to ignore certain unexplainable happenings.  I would be concerned about a water leak in carport, but if you are like us, you have already eliminated that possibility.

• Like 1