Menu

Survey: Are aprons for cooking popular?

PeterPan

Aprons for Cooking  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear an apron when cooking?

• Yes, the majority of the time.
    • Depends/Sometimes/Half the time.
    • Seldom/never.

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, speak to me. You iron this thing? Because I got a WS one for Christmas one year, did the perfunctory wash, and it was all jumbled. Either I did something wrong or it needs to be ironed or whatever. I never wore it because it was just such a mess.

Adding: Mine is yellow and white stripes. Maybe the material is different? Maybe we treated it like a towel and that's why it jumbled? I don't know. I can go find it. https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/personalized-stripe-apron/?pkey=capron  This is mine, and it just says cotton. Yours is https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/personalized-adult-apron/?pkey=capron  which says heavy gauge cotton. 

Ok, so I do think mine is a bit different. Go figure, they changed the style in the last decade lol. Because 1) mine is heavy, thick cotton and has almost a canvas bag type of feel to it. It washes beautifully and doesn’t wrinkle one bit. And 2) my tie string is one long string that goes around the neck as well as around the waist which makes it super easy to adjust and tie. The one I linked appears (all of them actually) to have a separate adjusting neck tie. So these changes and reviews are precisely why every time I think of getting a new, pretty apron, I decide mine is probably better. 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sherry in OH said:

You want a cobbler apron.

The aprons I like have a back similar to the one on the Advance pattern in this image.  The fronts and hems on mine are squared.  I like that I can slip them over my head and they stay in place, no need to fuss with adjustable ties.  I do not even tie them.  The closest modern aprons I have seen are the Japanese-style cross-backs.     

I like those!  The advance ones, in denim or canvas or heavy linen, would be awesome.  

The cobbler ones are probably what I will end up with.

• Like 1

I voted that I wear one most of the time but this is just for general cooking at home, not for guests. I've ruined enough shirts when I thought I wouldn't splash/spill that I make sure to wear a full apron to protect my clothes. 

I bought my two favorites from a woman who sells at a craft fair/pioneer exhibit that dh and I go to every year.

20 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I have about five cooking aprons and one garden apron.  I'm a bit of a dervish while cooking and I will ruin my shirt just by looking at a kitchen.  I even travel with aprons if I'm going to be cooking away from home or helping someone else cook. 

Oh, I hadn't thought of taking one with me. Dh and I are going on a short getaway but we got an Airbnb so we can cook some days/nights. I'll be packing my apron. I know what you mean about ruining shirts easily. Too many shirts got relegated to "around the house only" because I didn't wear an apron. 

14 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Do you have to iron it?

I just throw it in the washer and dryer and then smooth it a bit while its still slightly damp — same thing I do with my linen shirts, sheets, towels, and even the linen curtains. Wash, dry, smooth while damp, and hang up (or spread out on the bed in the case of bed linen). But linen is my very favorite fabric, and for me the slightly rumpled look is a feature not a bug.

I'd say this photo represents the general level of wrinkling, although mine is black linen so the wrinkles are probably even less noticeable.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 4.04.57 PM.png

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Quill said:

Otherwise, I get that one pop of grease or splatter of tomato sauce on my shirt and regret it. 

This exactly! I finally got wise and started wearing aprons.

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

That is the style I have, it just slips on over your head and has wide shoulder straps that cross in the back. Here are links to a linen one like mine, as well as a pattern to make one

Linen apron in multiple colors

Pattern on Etsy

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 9.52.35 AM.png

NIce! No ties to worry about. I love mine but they tie on the sides and sometimes if I'm doing a lot of work (like kneading) the ties come open.

• Like 2

My mother claims that apron wearing skips a generation.  Her grandmother lived in an apron. Her mother never wore an apron.  She always wears an apron.  I never wear an apron.  

The theory falls apart when we get to my older son, who loves to cook but doesn't wear an apron.  So there you go.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, Carol in Cal. said:

The ones that tie on at the waist are pretty much useless, since the splatters I get are mostly on my top half.  I hate the feel of something dragging on my neck, so the full length ones are miserable to wear.  Plus they typically don’t cover enough of the top to really be all that helpful in a splatterfest.  

I think that maybe I need one with shoulders.  Like, a sleeveless smock shape that hangs off of my shoulders instead of my neck, and has big enough armholes to go over my outfit but still pretty much shields my chest.  I have never seen one like that, but if I did I would wear it religiously.  Actually, if I sewed I could probably make a pattern without a whole lot of difficulty.  Especially since I don’t actually care about pockets.  Hmmm.

I don't like them hanging on my neck either, but I put up with it when I need one.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:57 AM, Sherry in OH said:

You want a cobbler apron.

The aprons I like have a back similar to the one on the Advance pattern in this image.  The fronts and hems on mine are squared.  I like that I can slip them over my head and they stay in place, no need to fuss with adjustable ties.  I do not even tie them.  The closest modern aprons I have seen are the Japanese-style cross-backs.     

I really want to make one of those cross-back ones, but I love the old-fashioned ones too. My mom had several vintage ones in that style, and they are comfortable. Pinterest has patterns for the cross-back ones, but you can adjust a regular generic apron pattern to work that way by how you place the ties. I made two children's aprons this way. I wish I'd thought of it years ago.

Don’t know if it’s popular, and I don’t care if it is or isn’t (yes, I’m now that age!), but they sure do come in handy!  Along with my “I don’t care what’s popular” maturity, I’ve discovered an intense love of wearing “nicer” fabrics like silk, linen and cashmere (2nd hand!), even when I don’t leave the house all day. Ain’t no way I’m letting those anywhere near popping grease without covering them up!!

• Like 1

Depends on what I'm cooking and what I'm wearing. If I'm wearing just my regular around the house type of clothes, then no...unless what I'm wearing is white and what I'm cooking splatters. If I'm wearing clothes I actually care about, then always. If I'm cooking with a grandchild, then absolutely. Nothing cuter than Gigi and granddaughter matching aprons. LOL

• Like 3