Menu

What is the point of the Ivies?

MamaSprout

3 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

I dont believe that college will end up primarily online. I think the weaknesses of online learning have been highlighted.  Lack f interactive classrooms, lack of in person labs, problems with online testing, etc are all suboptimal. They make them work, but no, they are not directly equivalent.

2 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

I agree. My husband is a professor at a STEM-focused university, and yesterday the president of the university pressured them tremendously to all go back to teaching in-person classes in the fall. The kids hated this experiment. They want to see the professor, ask questions in real time and in person, they hate pre-recorded segments of the class, they hated on-line tests, etc.

It was the exact opposite of what we expected. We’ve been thinking this would be the beginning of the end—why would the university need so many professors when they can just use pre-recorded lectures over and over and over. But, the kids revolted and don’t seem to want this remote future.

This is also what I'm seeing at two universities. Professors are being told that if a class was not offered online prior to Covid, it needs to move back to in-person for fall. 

My students seem eager to move back in person - with a small exception of course. 

• Like 1

So much of the growth and learning both my daughters experienced in college (Ivy and otherwise) occurred outside of the classroom, in interactions with other students in academic and non-academic activities. Online simply cannot replicate that, though it is an excellent option when in-person becomes impossible. 

My ‘20 grad has been employed in a remote job for the entirety of her post-grad working life. Recently she had the opportunity to go to the offices and work in-person. It has been such a joyful experience for her. Although she is naturally introverted and has not suffered as much as some other personalities have during the past year, it is clear she needs in-person contact.  

• Like 5

FWIW, the only school that has not stated their intention to be on campus next fall here is the CC.  I'm guessing they may have a higher percentage of students and faculty who find remote learning a reasonable alternative except for labs and practicals. Having said that, my kid has hated it, and I suspect one reason for picking a school where 90+% of undergrads live on campus is that this last year has been very lonely. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 6:55 PM, lewelma said:

Two young women were running the session and they were students at Texas A&M. They were very enthusiastic that they could work for the summer at the Brothel and this would pay off their entire year of tuition, room, and board.  They had done if for all 4 years, leaving them with no debt.

I had a housemate who "danced" for this same reason.  Every time she needed money, she would drive to the nearby city and come back the next morning with enough to support herself for the next few months.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:31 AM, 8filltheheart said:

I dont believe that college will end up primarily online. I think the weaknesses of online learning have been highlighted.  Lack f interactive classrooms, lack of in person labs, problems with online testing, etc are all suboptimal. They make them work, but no, they are not directly equivalent.

Amen. And of the few good things the pandemic brought, this realization for the college administrations (who had been pushing for more online classes because it's cheaper for them) is one. I hope the past year has given the idea that the future of college is online the death sentence.

Nope, it is not equivalent, and most of my students greatly prefer a return to in person classes.

• Like 4

On 3/29/2021 at 7:21 PM, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

It is striking, but in a way I don’t find it all that surprising. There seems to be an odd sense of complacency when it comes to the inner workings of one’s own “machine”. 

In the case of people I know, it’s confidence not complacency.

I live in an affluent area in a state with good, affordable state universities. We all went to state schools and our children do too. Since we are successful, we have confidence that our children will be successful too after graduating from state schools. The ones that have graduated from college have had not trouble finding greats jobs all over the country even in 2020.