Menu

Books about understanding and healing from trauma

rainbird2

I'm starting to realize that my negative reactions to certain people and events in my life are stemming from personal traumatic events from the past year.  Are there any books out there I should read on understanding and healing from trauma?  I can't go to a counselor right now, unfortunately.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, fraidycat said:

The Body Keeps the Score

Yes this. Actually I haven't read it, because it came out after I did my trauma work with a counselor. He had me reading a precursor book (The Body Bears the Burden) and works by Levine. But this newer book is a better summary.

There are a variety of bodywork methods of releasing trauma, but this is the one the counselor had me do. It was pretty life altering, frankly. I started doing it daily, did it about 40 sessions. Now I just do it for maintenance every so often when I'm stressed or have something major happen. Like I just had some really bad rolls sledding, reinjured my head, so I've been doing TRE. I also really like cranial sacral, which I find is also good for releasing some of that as it released the fascia.

Disclaimer. There are some types of trauma for which TRE might not be preferred. 

Trauma work was the start of learning about my interoception, doing body scans, etc. It can be a bit of a journey.  Trauma (for me) created dissociation, so doing the work was like dropping a veil, feeling naked. I found myself but it also chained how I connected to others, making me feel more connected. I'm saying it's worth whatever effort you put into it, because surprising things can improve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, historically accurate said:

One of my DD's has PTSD. So far, what has been most helpful is a therapist. Her therapist has learned to do EMDR over Zoom. I don't know if that would be possible for you. 

I am sorry you are dealing with this.

That would be fabulous . . 

I really benefitted from EMDR for the CPTSD from my childhood.

One of my last sessions was focused on my (very toxic) brother.   I knew he was supposed to be the subject, but we couldn't get that sliver started.  Then she asked me what I would like to say to him . . . .  My therapist jumped.  I do not swear like that. . . .  But the stuff that started pouring out . . . . . I felt so light afterwards, I was giggling, and felt energetic.  I still laugh.  EMDR can be wonderfully effective.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

That would be fabulous . . 

I really benefitted from EMDR for the CPTSD from my childhood.

One of my last sessions was focused on my (very toxic) brother.   I knew he was supposed to be the subject, but we couldn't get that sliver started.  Then she asked me what I would like to say to him . . . .  My therapist jumped.  I do not swear like that. . . .  But the stuff that started pouring out . . . . . I felt so light afterwards, I was giggling, and felt energetic.  I still laugh.  EMDR can be wonderfully effective.

I know two people who have had EMDR and both have had great results.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I know two people who have had EMDR and both have had great results.  

Yes - after one session addressing my grandmother ( which was multiple sessions) - after one appointment I left screaming and crying (we hit a very deep vein), and shouldn't have been driving.

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

Yes - after one session addressing my grandmother ( which was multiple sessions) - after one appointment I left screaming and crying (we hit a very deep vein), and shouldn't have been driving.

Wow, that must have been a very tough session.  I'm sorry about what you went through.  😞 Many years ago, I saw a therapist who was actually able to get through to me but I found myself so upset and wrecked the rest of the week that I had a difficult time focusing on my kids, who were young at the time.  I stopped treatment - maybe I shouldn't have or maybe the kids were just an excuse.  But it was so incredibly painful and upsetting.  

I'd like to try EMDR but can't afford therapy.  A friend said there's a book about it, but I don't know if that would be helpful without therapy.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Kassia said:

Wow, that must have been a very tough session.  I'm sorry about what you went through.  😞 Many years ago, I saw a therapist who was actually able to get through to me but I found myself so upset and wrecked the rest of the week that I had a difficult time focusing on my kids, who were young at the time.  I stopped treatment - maybe I shouldn't have or maybe the kids were just an excuse.  But it was so incredibly painful and upsetting.  

I'd like to try EMDR but can't afford therapy.  A friend said there's a book about it, but I don't know if that would be helpful without therapy.  

Trauma release exercises (TRE) can be beneficial for CPTSD.   There are instructions on youtube, incld from the guy who developed it.  I don't think I can adequately describe it, so I won't try.

• Thanks 1