Menu

Anyone doing Yardi Gras???

LAS in LA

We are not on the economic plane that allows for a house float, lol (those are hired out to professional artists who usually work on parade floats, for the most part), but dd has promised to try and paint me a Yardi Gras sign.

And we might actually make our Mardi Gras bead dogs this year, after buying the styrofoam an undetermined, but substantial, number of years ago. People would always twist broken beads into dog shapes, kind of like you do with a balloon, and then it became a thing for artists to make them. I think the first one was a fundraiser of some kind for the SPCA, but now you can find them all over the city. 

bead-dog-09.jpg

• Like 8

Let me add that I 100% appreciate that those who are on that economic plane are creating house floats for all of us to enjoy. I think it's fabulous, and of course it's keeping a lot of artists and studios afloat. We're planning to go see a bunch of them on Saturday. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, katilac said:

Let me add that I 100% appreciate that those who are on that economic plane are creating house floats for all of us to enjoy. I think it's fabulous, and of course it's keeping a lot of artists and studios afloat. We're planning to go see a bunch of them on Saturday. 

What fun!

It's refreshing to see so many people making the best of what must be a very bad situation—I’m sure the economic impact alone in NO must be enormous. But to come together in various ways and create a different sort of celebration in its place... very cool. Have fun on your house-float tour! 🙂 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Does still turning on Christmas lights at night count? 😄

Lots of people in our neighbourhood are doing this, my family included. We just need more light at night to help keep things cheerful. 

Love it!  Totally counts.  I was so sad that people in our neighborhood took down their Christmas lights the day after.  There are a bunch of houses that go all out for them too.  We need all the extra cheer this year.  Totally fine to have your Christmas lights up all year in 2020 and 2021!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Does still turning on Christmas lights at night count? 😄

Lots of people in our neighbourhood are doing this, my family included. We just need more light at night to help keep things cheerful. 

Yes! 
The people who put up lights here tend to keep them up for far longer than just December. I don’t do outdoor lights but I use lots of fairy lights in my house all winter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Okay, I thought Yardi Gras was an official NO term from this thread, and I replied to someone on facebook posting about it by saying, "Oh, is that the same thing as Yardi Gras?" and now all my friends think I'm hilarious, and I do NOT deserve that kind of credit....

It's already a thing, yes, but we won't tell your friends . . .  

• Like 3