Menu

Beach tips and gear. What do you like, and why?

Wildcat

We need beach gear and with all the options out there, we are a bit paralyzed. Usually, we just rent a chair & umbrella from whatever resort we are staying in,  but we have moved and are near enough to a beach that we plan to go often and now need to buy our own gear.

So, hit me with your thoughts and preferences!

We need chairs ~~ do you like the super low ones (does your bottom sit in the water or are you high enough in those to avoid a wet bum?) or the low-ish ones, or regular height like camp chairs?

Covering ~~ do you prefer an umbrella, a half tent thing, or a full tent thing?

And finally ~~ where did you buy your gear? Amazon, Walmart, or touristy beach store?

Any beach-going tips would be appreciated, too. How do you minimize the sand in your vehicle, what do you bring with you, etc?

I never bothered with a chair. If you bring a beach umbrella pay extra for the one with better anchors, they fly and people get injured by them every year. As of 2019 I think some beaches were considering banning them because of serious injuries from flying umbrellas. My family always used tents and awnings for toddlers or even the kind attached to a vehicle if you’re on a beach big enough to drive on.

We always figured go cheap, go simply, go short, and go often. A beach blanket, some sunblock, a sand bucket and life jacket per child are probably all you need. And maybe some vinegar or meat tenderizer. 

Do bring really good sunblock. 

Don’t forget that sunblock only multiplies the time it takes to burn. If the average tourist burns in 3 minutes and you have spf 20, you’ll probably burn in an hour. Maybe less if you get in the water and forget to reapply. 

Get hats & sunglasses for everyone. They protect you from glare harming eyes and the wrinkles you get from squinting. 

The vinegar or meat tenderizer is to use in case of jellyfish sting. They break down the protein in the jellyfish tentacles stuck to your skin and stop the sting. Don’t believe that hilarious Friends episode.  It might be funny but pee doesn’t help.

Make sure everyone who isn’t wearing a life jacket is a strong swimmer and has a good understanding of how to escape a rip tide. 

For shark safety swim during the worst UV hours, between 10-3pm.  Absolutely DO NOT let little kids swim at dawn or dusk near people fishing on the beach. Those buckets they’re dumping is bloody chopped up fish to attract bigger fish or sharks. 

If you’re going to a shallow, ungroomed natural beach you probably want swimming shoes. Like the thin kind used in pools or kayaks. This is because shallow water = oyster beds and oyster beds = barnacles. If the tide change has the water stirred up you can easily get caught into the middle of a big bed & get feet really cut up. I still have a scar from a really big cut when I was a kid. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We live by a beach and these are my most favorite chairs (Walmart):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Reclining-Blue-Beach-Event-Backpack-Chair/659071491

Umbrellas are neither here nor there (as to efficacy as I've found they all work well) but if you get one then you want a sand anchor. I've had mine a long time and it works well. I think I got it at Walmart.

I leave sunblock, bug spray, talc powder, a washcloth, and a book in the backpack part. I also tie it up to the very back seat of my car with a bungee cord so I always have it ready when I want it. I also always have a towel in the back.

The talc powder is to get stubborn sand off your feet at the car. It dries out your skin and makes the sand brush off easily.

I leave a gallon of water in the back seat of my car and refill it from the sink in case I need it to wash off feet or anything when we get back to the parking lot. 

We really like to take this game with us so the kiddos have something to do (other than build sandcastles and jump in the waves, of course): https://www.amazon.com/GoSports-Tipsy-Toss-Flying-Bottle/dp/B07YYZDB32/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=tipsy+toss&qid=1611615344&sr=8-2

• Like 1

Beachbub umbrellas! Cadillac of beach umbrellas. Worth every penny. And they do truly block the sun. We also had a Wonder Wheeler beach cart that served us well for many years. I just looked it up on Wayfair, and the reviews on the new ones are very mixed. So I'm not sure what I'm going to get to replace it. My dream would be something with Wheel-eez balloon tires. 

https://beachbub.com/

I'm retracting my rec for Sam's Club beach chairs. I just remembered that both of the two we most recently purchased are junk. They won't stay upright. If you lean back they go all the way to full recline. We threw them away after our last trip. 

The Beachbubs come with an attached table w/ cup holders. If you go with a regular umbrella, you can get the beach spike cup holders. 

A word on EZup canopies. Beach etiquette is that tents/canopies should be set up behind everyone with just chairs or chairs and umbrellas. That's one reason I prefer an umbrella. I like to set up closer to the water.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

1. I prefer a beach tent over a beach umbrella. A tent can handle the wind much better.  If you go the umbrella route, be sure to order the bags off of amazon that you can fill with sand and tether them to the pole.

2. We have a mixture of low chairs and foldable, waterproof blankets.  I don't know that we'll replace the chairs when they wear out.  After a lot of trips to the beach, it just gets so old hauling gear all of the time, everywhere.  Ours, currently, are 5 years old and just starting to show a bit of wear--will probably get another five years out of them.

3. Invest in good SPF clothing and sunscreen and hats.  

4. We keep an array of mini hand brooms and dust pans from IKEA in the back of our vehicle.  We give everyone and everything a solid brushing before getting in.  Some beaches have outdoor showers or a pump for foot baths.....figure out what you have at your beach.

5. Turkish towels dry amazingly fast and wash well. I'm not sure why people use large traditional towels, tbh.  The sand clings to them more, and they tend to take forever to dry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1. I prefer a beach tent over a beach umbrella. A tent can handle the wind much better.  If you go the umbrella route, be sure to order the bags off of amazon that you can fill with sand and tether them to the pole.

This is exactly why we have the Beachbub umbrellas. They hold up in 35 mph winds. It uses sand as a weight/anchor. Also, I can put it up by myself. A regular umbrella with the auger/sand screw—takes some brute force to get it deep enough to be stable.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

Talc powder and a soft, mini brush/broom and dustpan for the sand! Rinse off at the beach shower if they have one, then use the powder and the brush to clean off everyone's feet and legs before they climb into the vehicle.

Turkish towels!! YES!!! Sand just shakes right off. I bought double the amount of our old beach towels and usually bring one (per person) down to the beach and leave the other one in the vehicle. Then we can dump the wet/damp ones into the back of the vehicle, grab a nice, dry towel to wrap up in on the drive back home. Twice the # of Turkish towels STILL washes/dries faster than traditional beach towels!

No help on the other stuff. We're a family of 5 and everyone prefers something different. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Oh I forgot to add- if you get a bad burn bathing in vinegar (added to a cold bath or wiped on straight with a wash cloth) will take the heat out of it much faster than aloe.  I don’t use this unless it’s really painful though, because it will make you peel rather than turn into a tan. 

• Like 1

Most of my family doesn't care and just uses generic camp chairs, but I'm one of those 'on the beach right after breakfast and stay until dinner' people.  The last time we went we took a beachbub umbrella - it takes a few minutes to set up but can be done by one person.  The beach that we go to quit allowing tents so we had to switch to umbrellas...we didn't like the change but since I"m on the beach by myself first thing and at the end of the day I've found that I like having something that I can easily install, take down, and carry by myself.  

For sitting, my family uses camp chairs or just a beach towel on the ground.  For all-day lounging I love my Fatboy.  I got it at Sams but have seen them on Amazon.  It packs to be tiny so it's easy to transport.  I find that I usually have to add a twist and resnap the bottom one or 2 times over the course of the day but it's comfortable, while if I stay in a camp chair all day my back hurts.  

One morning at the beach I had gone and set up the Beachbub and inflated my Fatboy while a group of curious college students watched.  Once I got settled, I heard one comment to the other 'She's chilling!'.  I like to think of myself as a professional at it...  🙂  

• Like 2

Doesn't it depend a little bit on what you will spend your time doing on the beach and for how long?  You don't need to buy tons of stuff up-front. What things have you loved about the stuff you rented?  Did you need it all? Did all the family members need their own chair?

My dc rarely sit on chairs. They swim, play in sand and eat snacks.  I don't even sit for long. I swim, build sand castles, walk and eat.   So we needed a place to put our cooler for food, a place for a couple people to sit and eat, and towels.  So for 6 people we bring one umbrella, a couple camp chairs, a cooler for drinks and food to keep cold, other bags for snacks, and the 'toys' (sand castle building equipment = proper metal shovels, big buckets, boogie boards).  

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

One caution.....make sure you and your kids are very well aware of the currents, rip tides, danger (we don't have sharks or stingrays,etc), etc at your local beach.   I live very close to Lake Michigan and every year several people (mostly visitors) lose their lives because they don't understand the dangers.   Even when red flags are flying people are letting their young kids out in the water.

That said, I am a morning and evening beach person, not a stay all day type.   Since it is only 10-15 minutes away, I don't haul a lot of stuff with me either.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 5:48 PM, Katy said:

I never bothered with a chair. If you bring a beach umbrella pay extra for the one with better anchors, they fly and people get injured by them every year. As of 2019 I think some beaches were considering banning them because of serious injuries from flying umbrellas. My family always used tents and awnings for toddlers or even the kind attached to a vehicle if you’re on a beach big enough to drive on.

We always figured go cheap, go simply, go short, and go often. A beach blanket, some sunblock, a sand bucket and life jacket per child are probably all you need. And maybe some vinegar or meat tenderizer. 

Do bring really good sunblock. 

Don’t forget that sunblock only multiplies the time it takes to burn. If the average tourist burns in 3 minutes and you have spf 20, you’ll probably burn in an hour. Maybe less if you get in the water and forget to reapply. 

Get hats & sunglasses for everyone. They protect you from glare harming eyes and the wrinkles you get from squinting. 

The vinegar or meat tenderizer is to use in case of jellyfish sting. They break down the protein in the jellyfish tentacles stuck to your skin and stop the sting. Don’t believe that hilarious Friends episode.  It might be funny but pee doesn’t help.

Make sure everyone who isn’t wearing a life jacket is a strong swimmer and has a good understanding of how to escape a rip tide. 

For shark safety swim during the worst UV hours, between 10-3pm.  Absolutely DO NOT let little kids swim at dawn or dusk near people fishing on the beach. Those buckets they’re dumping is bloody chopped up fish to attract bigger fish or sharks. 

If you’re going to a shallow, ungroomed natural beach you probably want swimming shoes. Like the thin kind used in pools or kayaks. This is because shallow water = oyster beds and oyster beds = barnacles. If the tide change has the water stirred up you can easily get caught into the middle of a big bed & get feet really cut up. I still have a scar from a really big cut when I was a kid. 

Thanks for this.

I think I will need a chair. I can't lay on my stomach for very long or my back starts to hurt and I like to read while chilling in between swimming & walking. I envy those who just plunk a blanket down and stay there all day.

Also, the shoes are something I didn't think about. Where we used to go on vacation, there was nothing in the water at all, but our new beach has a very wide swath of seashells to get past, so shoes might come in handy.

Oh, and no worries about believing that Friends episode. LOL. We're well-versed with vinegar and meat tenderizer. Man, but we laughed at that episode when it aired!

On 1/25/2021 at 5:56 PM, importswim said:

We live by a beach and these are my most favorite chairs (Walmart):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Reclining-Blue-Beach-Event-Backpack-Chair/659071491

Umbrellas are neither here nor there (as to efficacy as I've found they all work well) but if you get one then you want a sand anchor. I've had mine a long time and it works well. I think I got it at Walmart.

I leave sunblock, bug spray, talc powder, a washcloth, and a book in the backpack part. I also tie it up to the very back seat of my car with a bungee cord so I always have it ready when I want it. I also always have a towel in the back.

The talc powder is to get stubborn sand off your feet at the car. It dries out your skin and makes the sand brush off easily.

I leave a gallon of water in the back seat of my car and refill it from the sink in case I need it to wash off feet or anything when we get back to the parking lot. 

We really like to take this game with us so the kiddos have something to do (other than build sandcastles and jump in the waves, of course): https://www.amazon.com/GoSports-Tipsy-Toss-Flying-Bottle/dp/B07YYZDB32/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=tipsy+toss&qid=1611615344&sr=8-2

Talc powder. I need some talc powder. I have a tiny brush already but didn't know about the powder.

Thanks for the link to the chairs! I found the same chairs in a search but there were no reviews on the page I found. I'm glad to hear from someone who liked them.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:12 PM, popmom said:

Beachbub umbrellas! Cadillac of beach umbrellas. Worth every penny. And they do truly block the sun. We also had a Wonder Wheeler beach cart that served us well for many years. I just looked it up on Wayfair, and the reviews on the new ones are very mixed. So I'm not sure what I'm going to get to replace it. My dream would be something with Wheel-eez balloon tires. 

https://beachbub.com/

I'm retracting my rec for Sam's Club beach chairs. I just remembered that both of the two we most recently purchased are junk. They won't stay upright. If you lean back they go all the way to full recline. We threw them away after our last trip. 

The Beachbubs come with an attached table w/ cup holders. If you go with a regular umbrella, you can get the beach spike cup holders. 

A word on EZup canopies. Beach etiquette is that tents/canopies should be set up behind everyone with just chairs or chairs and umbrellas. That's one reason I prefer an umbrella. I like to set up closer to the water.

OK, those look umbrellas look awesome!  I have a love/hate thing with the canopies for the very reason you mentioned. 

On 1/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

2. We have a mixture of low chairs and foldable, waterproof blankets.  I don't know that we'll replace the chairs when they wear out.  After a lot of trips to the beach, it just gets so old hauling gear all of the time, everywhere.  Ours, currently, are 5 years old and just starting to show a bit of wear--will probably get another five years out of them.

3. Invest in good SPF clothing and sunscreen and hats.  

4. We keep an array of mini hand brooms and dust pans from IKEA in the back of our vehicle.  We give everyone and everything a solid brushing before getting in.  Some beaches have outdoor showers or a pump for foot baths.....figure out what you have at your beach.

5. Turkish towels dry amazingly fast and wash well. I'm not sure why people use large traditional towels, tbh.  The sand clings to them more, and they tend to take forever to dry.

Do you prefer the tent over an umbrella just because of the wind issue, or are there other reasons, as well?

I hear you on hauling gear. That was a big lure for us staying at the condo and just renting the lounge chairs & umbrella that they set out every morning. We literally just had to grab our towels, hats, sunblock, and a cooler with snacks and off we went.

I'm going to have to figure something out for the parking lot. They have showers, but the lot itself is sand, so rinsing our feet will only go so far....ugh.

Turkish towels. Those are now on my list for when my beach towels give out. Awesome tip.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:15 PM, ScoutTN said:

We love the Shibumi Shades! 

I had to look those up. I wonder if those are an issue on some beaches? Do people not trip on the tie downs? They look awesome!

On 1/25/2021 at 7:27 PM, popmom said:

This is exactly why we have the Beachbub umbrellas. They hold up in 35 mph winds. It uses sand as a weight/anchor. Also, I can put it up by myself. A regular umbrella with the auger/sand screw—takes some brute force to get it deep enough to be stable.

I'm glad to hear another rec for the Beachbub! I watched a video on the set up and it looks really neat.

22 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Italics mine

Eta the setting up an outdoor shower advice refers to back at home, not *at* the beach. Take advantage of rinsing stations when you can, but still have one at home. Nobody goes straight into the house from the beach unless you have terrazzo floors and don’t mind sweeping up sand. 

Thanks for the comments!  I do think we'll have to hose off before coming inside. No terrazzo floors here and I hate sweeping sand. LOL.

20 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Talc powder and a soft, mini brush/broom and dustpan for the sand! Rinse off at the beach shower if they have one, then use the powder and the brush to clean off everyone's feet and legs before they climb into the vehicle.

Turkish towels!! YES!!! Sand just shakes right off. I bought double the amount of our old beach towels and usually bring one (per person) down to the beach and leave the other one in the vehicle. Then we can dump the wet/damp ones into the back of the vehicle, grab a nice, dry towel to wrap up in on the drive back home. Twice the # of Turkish towels STILL washes/dries faster than traditional beach towels!

No help on the other stuff. We're a family of 5 and everyone prefers something different. 🤷‍♂️

Man, I have many really good beach towels, but now y'all have me wondering if I should get rid of them and but some Turkish towels. Ugh.

13 hours ago, Katy said:

Oh I forgot to add- if you get a bad burn bathing in vinegar (added to a cold bath or wiped on straight with a wash cloth) will take the heat out of it much faster than aloe.  I don’t use this unless it’s really painful though, because it will make you peel rather than turn into a tan. 

So, how did I never know this about vinegar taking the sting out of a burn?! Sadly, I almost never tan and nearly always peel, so I will probably have to try the vinegar sooner, rather than later.  I always seem to have an area that gets too much sun and needs aloe. 

14 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

So, how did I never know this about vinegar taking the sting out of a burn?! Sadly, I almost never tan and nearly always peel, so I will probably have to try the vinegar sooner, rather than later.  I always seem to have an area that gets too much sun and needs aloe. 

You didn't grow up in Florida?

• Like 1

You asked about tent v. umbrella.

It’s not just the wind issue. It’s also about not having to reposition the umbrellas as the sun shifts throughout the day. We have two umbrellas, and Dh usually packs those if it’s just the girls and I. I have very fair skin that does not tan—I must be in shade at the beach as much as possible, no matter the SPF I lather on. We usually have to shift to the umbrellas 2-3 times to generate enough shade for me to stay safe. The alternative is I have to wear my long sleeve UPF shirts, my swim leggings or my hiking pants and bring my really wide hat and just worry about my feet. 

A beach tent also prevents sand from blowing into food, to some extent. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clemsondana said:

Most of my family doesn't care and just uses generic camp chairs, but I'm one of those 'on the beach right after breakfast and stay until dinner' people.  The last time we went we took a beachbub umbrella - it takes a few minutes to set up but can be done by one person.  The beach that we go to quit allowing tents so we had to switch to umbrellas...we didn't like the change but since I"m on the beach by myself first thing and at the end of the day I've found that I like having something that I can easily install, take down, and carry by myself.  

For sitting, my family uses camp chairs or just a beach towel on the ground.  For all-day lounging I love my Fatboy.  I got it at Sams but have seen them on Amazon.  It packs to be tiny so it's easy to transport.  I find that I usually have to add a twist and resnap the bottom one or 2 times over the course of the day but it's comfortable, while if I stay in a camp chair all day my back hurts.  

One morning at the beach I had gone and set up the Beachbub and inflated my Fatboy while a group of curious college students watched.  Once I got settled, I heard one comment to the other 'She's chilling!'.  I like to think of myself as a professional at it...  🙂  

OK, I need help with the Fatboy. Searches showed me what is basically an inflatable bed. Is that what you are talking about?  If so, I'm confused on the twisting & snapping part, so I'm thinking I must not have found the thing you are talking about.

Funny story about the college kids. That's great!!

12 hours ago, wintermom said:

Doesn't it depend a little bit on what you will spend your time doing on the beach and for how long?  You don't need to buy tons of stuff up-front. What things have you loved about the stuff you rented?  Did you need it all? Did all the family members need their own chair?

My dc rarely sit on chairs. They swim, play in sand and eat snacks.  I don't even sit for long. I swim, build sand castles, walk and eat.   So we needed a place to put our cooler for food, a place for a couple people to sit and eat, and towels.  So for 6 people we bring one umbrella, a couple camp chairs, a cooler for drinks and food to keep cold, other bags for snacks, and the 'toys' (sand castle building equipment = proper metal shovels, big buckets, boogie boards).  

Oh, absolutely. It's just DH and me these days, and we alternate swimming, walking along the shoreline, and reading. The only stuff we rented were the lounge chairs & umbrella that the condo sets out and we liked that we didn't have to haul anything with us. LOL.  On a more serious note, what we liked were that the chairs reclined back for reading and the fact that we could stretch out on them and still 'hide' from the sun when we wanted to. Ideally, we'd only buy chairs and some sort of a cover, since we already have towels, coolers, and bags. Thankfully, our days of needing beach toys are over until any grandkids are in the picture. 

10 hours ago, Ottakee said:

One caution.....make sure you and your kids are very well aware of the currents, rip tides, danger (we don't have sharks or stingrays,etc), etc at your local beach.   I live very close to Lake Michigan and every year several people (mostly visitors) lose their lives because they don't understand the dangers.   Even when red flags are flying people are letting their young kids out in the water.

That said, I am a morning and evening beach person, not a stay all day type.   Since it is only 10-15 minutes away, I don't haul a lot of stuff with me either.

Thanks for this. This isn't an issue for us (very experienced beach swimmers), but it's a good reminder for others reading. We've seen people do things that are really not smart. We *do* have sharks, stingrays, and jellyfish here, so those purple flags do fly at times. That's when I pull out my book. Haha!

6 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Gear? A great pair of bodysurfing fins for fun and safety (assuming one has surf).

Bill 

Says the guy in CA! (And I say that with sheer jealousy and not a hint of snark.)  No surf here, sadly. Based on what we saw the other day at one one particular beach we popped in to take a peek, even swimming may not happen, as the water was so shallow. It was quite surprising to see the water nearly as flat as a pond with almost zero wave sounds.

17 minutes ago, J-rap said:

This isn't equipment, but a clothing item.  I have a "RipSkirt" that I just love.  It's a quick skirt/wrap that goes over a swimsuit and closes with velcro.  There are other brands too.  

https://www.amazon.com/RipSkirt-Hawaii-Athletic-Cover-up-Multitasks/dp/B00WROY4JK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=RipSkirt+Hawaii&qid=1611713713&sr=8-3

That looks great. I'll have to look at it more closely and see if I need one! Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

You didn't grow up in Florida?

Actually, I did for several years, but we didn't go to the beach that much and when we did, aloe was the 'go to' for burns. Like, literally cut a piece from the aloe plant and rub it on. This was in the 70s and sunscreen wasn't a thing, so... yeah. We burned. And then we were sticky from the aloe. Ugh.

My only other beach time was as an adult and aloe was sold in huge bottles at the beach stores, so that's all I knew to use. I don't want to say that I'm anxious to use your vinegar tip, but I'm super happy that you mentioned it!

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It’s not just the wind issue. It’s also about not having to reposition the umbrellas as the sun shifts throughout the day. We have two umbrellas, and Dh usually packs those if it’s just the girls and I. I have very fair skin that does not tan—I must be in shade at the beach as much as possible, no matter the SPF I lather on. We usually have to shift to the umbrellas 2-3 times to generate enough shade for me to stay safe. The alternative is I have to wear my long sleeve UPF shirts, my swim leggings or my hiking pants and bring my really wide hat and just worry about my feet. 

Ah, thanks. I also burn rather than tan. Even when under an umbrella, I manage to burn and it's not just from the sand glare. I try to tell dh it's a gift. LOL.  I am usually mostly covered up, even under the umbrella.

22 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

That’s my only criticism of the Beachbub—there’s no tilt feature. We can tilt the pole a little. Otherwise, we just move our chairs to follow the shade. 🙂 

My husband is very fair and freckled—and has had squamous cell carcinoma—so he has to be very careful, too. 

1 hour ago, Wildcat said:

Says the guy in CA! (And I say that with sheer jealousy and not a hint of snark.)  No surf here, sadly. Based on what we saw the other day at one one particular beach we popped in to take a peek, even swimming may not happen, as the water was so shallow. It was quite surprising to see the water nearly as flat as a pond with almost zero wave sounds.

Sorry you have no surf. I still love to bodysurf. Been working on making myself a handboard recently from an old skateboard (work in progress).

I still hit the same spot at Zuma (Malibu) where I started as a kid. Gnarly shorebreak, but wicked good.

Bill