Menu

Help me use these ingredients (flaxseed meal, oat flour, buckwheat flour)

fairfarmhand

Flaxseed meal is likely rancid if it has been in the pantry for a while.  I'd check the date and smell it. I keep mine in the freezer and put a bit into oats(after they are cooked) or smoothies. 

Oat flour works well for pancake and muffin recipes. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, fairfarmhand said:

Recipe?

Well.... I'm a terrible baker 🙂  But I've been using a modification of this recipe. I don't use the coconut or soy milk. Oh and I use regular butter so it's not vegan at all. Why the vegan recipe then.... no idea! Lol.

There's something about oatmeal/oat flour that makes cookies come out decently, even if the person (me) is really bad at baking! I just add more liquid (water or milk) to the recipe to make it the right consistency, and somehow that ends up OK with oat-based cookies. 

https://lovingitvegan.com/simple-vegan-oatmeal-cookies/

• Thanks 1

For general baking you could probably put a tablespoon of each finely ground in a cup and top it with flour.   That won’t work with bread but should be fine for quick bread, bars, waffles, pancakes, etc.   I often do this to up nutritional profile when baking.  I would check the flax to make sure it isn’t rancid though.  

Ground flax you can throw into almost anything.  

I've added flaxseed meal and oat bran when baking bread. Not too much, just maybe a 1/2 cup total to a 5-6 cup-of-flour bread recipe. I've added some oat bran into an oatmeal cookie recipe as a substitute for some of the flour. Could also add either into oatmeal, or muffins.

I've never  used buckwheat as the one time I tasted it I didn't like it. I know there are recipes for buckwheat pancakes. But I think that is also something that could be added to a bread recipe.  But I add lots of different things into the basic whole-wheat bread recipe. 

Agreeing that flaxseed meal may be rancid; it does not have a long shelf life.

• Like 1

Sniff everything to make sure it's still fresh. I'd throw away the flaxseed stuff (because I take it in capsules and I draw the line, lol) and make pancakes with the rest. We're huge pancake lovers here, so we'll make big batches and freeze them. Those flours would get used up in a hot flash, yum yum. Just throw them in your regular recipe and make sure you use enough baking powder.

• Like 1

Oat flour makes good pancakes. We do 50/50 oat flour and oat meal. We use about 1 TB of baking powder per 2 cups of oat product, 2 eggs per same, salt to taste, and some milk. Let it sit a bit to make the oats soft, and then fry. My kids love them, and they are far more filling than flour pancakes. They do take a bit longer to cook, and have a heartier texture. Great with real maple syrup.

• Like 2

I use flaxseed meal in my oatmeal in hopes of lowering my cholesterol level. I add an equivalent of 1 Tbs per serving. That said, the first time I tried this I had flaxseed meal that wasn't too old and had come from the bulk food bin at the grocery store. I thought it had a horrible taste. I now buy a package of Bob's Red Mill flaxseed meal and put it in the fridge or freezer as soon as I come home and I don't notice the taste in the oatmeal at all. So I agree with the others that you probably need to throw it out.

This is about the only recipe I have where I use flaxseed, but it’s a yummy recipe!

Eta: anything on hand will work, but I specifically like creamy natural peanut butter and Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips. Also, I store these in the fridge. 

56606C82-3638-43C3-B208-8E711973A20E.png

Edited by mmasc
More info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

This is about the only recipe I have where I use flaxseed, but it’s a yummy recipe!

Eta: anything on hand will work, but I specifically like creamy natural peanut butter and Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips. Also, I store these in the fridge. 

56606C82-3638-43C3-B208-8E711973A20E.png

I’ll make this...probably will have to go buy more flaxseed meal. 😝

• Haha 1