Menu

Silicone microwave popcorn makers....do they work well?

Ottakee

I am looking for a simple, easy way to make popcorn for myself (not for a larger group).  Do those microwave silicone bowl poppers work well?   Easy to use and clean?

I have an older style one that you add oil and the stir rod moves around and then when it is done you flip it over and have the bowl of popcorn.   That is more to clean though than I want.

We use a brown paper sack. Put in 1/2 cup popcorn lightly drizzled with like 1/2 teaspoon oil. Fold the top over and masking tape it. Put a paper towel in the bottom of the microwave to soak up any oil. Microwave with your microwave's popcorn button. I'm sure you can Google the time if your microwave doesnt have a setting for that.

• Like 2

My mom handed one off to us, saying if we didn’t like it we should throw it out because they never use it.  Someone has used it at least once a day for a month. We love the thing. The kids can make their own popcorn without making a mess, it’s wonderful.

edit:  cleaning. We mostly don’t.  We dump the popcorn into a bowl or bucket before putting butter or seasoning on it and just brush the popcorn crumbs out of the silicone bowl.

Edited by Danae

An air popper doesn’t need cleaned every time you use it.  I just dump out the unpopped kernels; I actually don’t think I’ve ever had to clean it.  I don’t use the measuring cup to melt butter like some people do, though.  I find it easier to use a glass measuring cup in the microwave.  

• Like 1

My kids had them in their dorms and then gave one to my mom who lives alone and was addicted to the individual popcorn bags.  We don't put any oil in them--just the popcorn.  Generally we just wipe it out with a damp rag--there isn't really any clean up.  it can be washed in the dishwasher.  It is great for a single popcorn eater.  

• Like 1

Yes! I got one from WW. It is a collapsible silicone bowl with a lid that rises up as it pops. I find this method gives me the fewest unpopped kernels of any method I've tried AND it is easy to store and environmentally friendly. I've had mine for 3 years. I do not really wash mine, just dump out anything unpopped from the bottom or wipe it if it looks like I need to. Filling it all the way (1/2 C kernels) is enough for one bowl each for me and my kids.

Emily

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I am looking for a simple, easy way to make popcorn for myself (not for a larger group).  Do those microwave silicone bowl poppers work well?   Easy to use and clean?

I have an older style one that you add oil and the stir rod moves around and then when it is done you flip it over and have the bowl of popcorn.   That is more to clean though than I want.

We got the pampered chef one and have not been thrilled. It was very expensive and we don't think it pops popcorn as well as the ones you buy in microwaveable bags. Plus then you have to season it afterward and its never been perfect.

52 minutes ago, Danae said:

My mom handed one off to us, saying if we didn’t like it we should throw it out because they never use it.  Someone has used it at least once a day for a month. We love the thing. The kids can make their own popcorn without making a mess, it’s wonderful.

edit:  cleaning. We mostly don’t.  We dump the popcorn into a bowl or bucket before putting butter or seasoning on it and just brush the popcorn crumbs out of the silicone bowl.

Agree with this.  We use ours all of the time.  I might give it a quick rinse or just wipe it out.

Sorry, I hadn't seen that you'd already ordered one.  We've been pleased with Orville Redenbacher popcorn -- the plain kind.  

Edited by DoraBora
  • Like 1

Orville Redenbacher.  I have a collapsible one.  There's two measuring lines inside.  I fill between the lines so the lower one is covered but the second line isn't touched.  I add a little salt and about 3T of salted butter, put the lid on, and set for 4 minutes.  When done I transfer it to a different bowl, dump the unpopped kernils, and repeat.  This is probably my children's favorite snack, and it tastes better than any other kind we've had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StillJessica said:

An air popper doesn’t need cleaned every time you use it.  I just dump out the unpopped kernels; I actually don’t think I’ve ever had to clean it.  I don’t use the measuring cup to melt butter like some people do, though.  I find it easier to use a glass measuring cup in the microwave.  

We've been using a (vintage - 2ds was the last to use it as a cup) baby sippy cup for melting THE BUTTER TO PUT ON (sheesh. eye roll.) popcorn.  And it has nice little spouts to be even.  😜

but - I want to be able to make popcorn in the theater - so not sure what we'll use (hot air popper, microwave popper - we've used it a couple times, or other) - but I found these  😄  They come in different sizes.  I've ordered a set, but have yet to try them out.

Amazon.com: Atsky Silicone Chocolate Melting Pot, 3 Pack Universal Baking Tools Nonstick Melting Kit in Microwave for Chocolate Butter Cheese and Caramel: Kitchen & Dining

Edited by gardenmom5
because I leave things out!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

We got the pampered chef one and have not been thrilled. It was very expensive and we don't think it pops popcorn as well as the ones you buy in microwaveable bags. Plus then you have to season it afterward and its never been perfect.

Interesting. We have a pampered chef one and have no issues whatsoever with it. We never season it either. Just pop some corn and throw it in the dishwasher. My kids use it regularly. I like that it's collapsible. 

4 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I am looking for a simple, easy way to make popcorn for myself (not for a larger group). 

For a single serving of popcorn, I usually use a mason jar and a silicone funnel on top to prevent spilling. I put 2 tablespoons of kernels in the jar and 1 tsp olive oil and cover loosely with a silicone funnel and microwave for 2:30 minutes in my 1000 Watt microwave. I put the jar in my dishwasher after use.