Menu

Homeschool Quote of the Year

NewIma

I loved both of the above quotes so went hunting for this old post ~

On 6/30/2009 at 4:15 PM, Kareni said:

June 29, 2009 -- a date to remember -- "Mom, you're right."

Yesterday, after having heard directive # 276,508 (it's easier to cut brownies if you wipe the knife after each row), my teen uttered the following words, "Mom, you're right."

After picking myself up off the floor, dancing a jig, and generally crowing about these magical words, I was brought back to earth with the follow up remark, "Well, if you were right more often, I would tell you so."

Still, it did happen, and my husband was even there to witness it. It might happen to you one day when you least expect it.

Wow, that was more than eleven years ago. Time flies!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8
  • Haha 15

7 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

My 15 year old is an apprentice blacksmith... he made an axe. Quoth older brother " Public schooled kids get suspended for having a plastic knife in their lunchbox... homeschooled kid - look I made an axe!" 

The unexpected benefits of homeschooling!! LOL

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I loved both of the above quotes so went hunting for this old post ~

Wow, that was more than eleven years ago. Time flies!

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni, you should have put it on a plaque or trophy!!! A moment to hold onto FOREVER! LOL

• Like 5

It's not about homeschooling, but the best line I remember from homeschooling:

I'm a former public school math teacher teaching my own kid math. She was probably about 5th grade. I asked her "and what do we use to solve this one?" and she replied completely seriously, "divination." That's was she thought division was. Too much Harry Potter!

• Like 4
  • Haha 18

My kids had a birthday party when they were teens, and for some reason a bunch of them wound up in front of our huge wall map, pointing at things and talking animatedly. One of their friends posted a photo on Facebook and captioned it, "Homeschoolers at a party!" 😄

It's still one of my favorite photos. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 14

When we told our kids we were expecting #4 (so a few years ago), our then-6yo son excitedly said, "Oh, I just read about all of this in a book! And YOU had the DANGEROUS PART, Dad! You had to get the sperm to the egg!" (I have never held a straighter face in my life. DH had to leave the room for a coughing fit.)

And this year, to uphold to the thread title: "But if I don't take the time to learn this now, when will I ever have time to?!" - 7yo, on wanting to read Shakespeare instead of work on handwriting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

My youngest actually has another one from this year.  He was discussing state ballot measures with a friend of his and I heard him say "I was reading the constitution this afternoon and in Article I in the commerce clause it says..." 

Yup that's normal there. "I was reading the constitution this afternoon ..."

• Like 10

My youngest, age 13, just took her computer for Zoom youth group. Middle, age 15, said let me know what craziness your group gets into. Youngest DD looks at her and says, "I don't talk to my small group. They're loud." Middle: "Who do you talk to?". Youngest: "Alison [youth group leader, aged 30-something]. We talk about books; we're reading The Diary of Anne Frank right now."

So my 13 year old started a book club with her youth group leader and that's the only reason she goes to youth group now. 

• Like 9

21 hours ago, katilac said:

My kids had a birthday party when they were teens, and for some reason a bunch of them wound up in front of our huge wall map, pointing at things and talking animatedly. One of their friends posted a photo on Facebook and captioned it, "Homeschoolers at a party!" 😄

We had a huge world map for a couple of years and everyone who came into our house would end up in front of the map! It was hilarious. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, katilac said:

I love this!

In my house all the kids made a beeline to the anatomy torso. I heard requent refrains of 'you dropped the liver!' 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had to leave not one, but two different churches after different children spoke up during the children's sermon on Christmas Eve.  

Christmas Eve number 1:  Pastor asks what makes this a special night.  Two year old Cat takes the microphone and proceeds to give a detailed explanation of exactly how babies are made before concluding that Jesus was special because Mary was a virgin and none of that happened.  The pastor tried to take the mic away from her when he realized what she was doing, but she stood up, walked away from the pastor, to continue her in depth sex ed monologue.  

Christmas Eve number 2:  Pastor makes a reference to Santa/ St. Nicholas, and five year old oldest child gives a lecture about the historical St. Nicholas, his fight against Arian heresy, how he fought prostitution and trafficking by throwing gold dowries down chimneys of poor girls' houses while bishop of Myrna, and how the character of Santa was offensive to the memory of St. Nicholas because it led to poor children thinking Santa loved them less because they didn't get as good of gifts as the children of wealthier parents.  

Honestly, I swear I have no idea where five year old got their belief about Santa.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

My favorite quote from this year:

DD22 and I were talking about dreaming (sleepy time dreams.....not future goals). She told me that when she was growing up, she used to dream that she could fly quite often and sometimes could lucid dream while flying. She then told me that she read that dreaming of flying often happens when you feel your freest. She then told me that since she dreamt of flying so often., that I should take that as a sure sign that she had a great childhood! 💜👩‍👧

• Like 14

9 hours ago, Tap said:

My favorite quote from this year:

DD22 and I were talking about dreaming (sleepy time dreams.....not future goals). She told me that when she was growing up, she used to dream that she could fly quite often and sometimes could lucid dream while flying. She then told me that she read that dreaming of flying often happens when you feel your freest. She then told me that since she dreamt of flying so often., that I should take that as a sure sign that she had a great childhood! 💜👩‍👧

Awwww.  How sweet.  I am another lucid flying dreamer.  More when I was younger.  It is the most wonderful feeling.  Once I looked over and my dog was flying beside me chasing a bird in the air.  

• Like 2