Menu

Does anyone else have weather systems that develop in your carport?

Terabith

I'm kind of assuming this is a feature of our neighborhood.  Perhaps controlled by the monolith?  

(My husband, the physicist, tells me that it has to do with the fact that one wall borders the house and there is a crawl space, so the temperature differential between the carport is much warmer than the outside, and that differential creates a weather cycle.  The air itself has to be super humid.  But there is no leak or anything.  A very small cloud forms on the inside and it rains inside the carport.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I'm kind of assuming this is a feature of our neighborhood.  Perhaps controlled by the monolith?  

(My husband, the physicist, tells me that it has to do with the fact that one wall borders the house and there is a crawl space, so the temperature differential between the carport is much warmer than the outside, and that differential creates a weather cycle.  The air itself has to be super humid.  But there is no leak or anything.  A very small cloud forms on the inside and it rains inside the carport.)

When I saw it was you posting I was like, ‘of course’.  😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

21 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I'm starting to think you live in Eerie, Indiana or something. 

Also, from every sci fi TV show ever, I know that weird weather patterns around a physicist's house means he has a secret laboratory in the basement and is about to break the space-time continuum and spend 23-87 episodes trying to put it back together.

Just to prepare you in case you want to pencil that into your 2020 plans.

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 23

Yes, but not to the extent as you.

In fact, we just had a energy assessment done yesterday and I told the technician all about my super-humid master bedroom/bathroom.  MB is on a slab and the attached bath is on a crawl space.  The crawl space does have a plastic barrier but no dehumidifyer.  It is super small and you can barely "crawl" down there between the joists... maybe crawl around like a snake would be appropriate. 

I have a small dehumidifyer running the bathroom at all times and a larger one in the Master bedroom that is used most of the summer just so I can sleep. It still smells a little mildewy on certain days.  

He told me that he suspects that moisture is building up under the crawl space and leaking out into the bath/bedroom.   He is suggesting we have the underfloor over the bathroom, or "ceiling" of the crawlspace protected with spray foam insulation.  I need to do more research before we agree to do that because I don't want mold building up under there too.  

He said that more insulation in the attic above the MB/bath would also help with the temperature variables.   It's hot and humid in summer and freezing cold in winter , especially in the bathroom.   Getting up to pee at 3am in January is pretty miserable.  I might as well be going to an outhouse. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

I'm starting to think you live in Eerie, Indiana or something. 

Also, from every sci fi TV show ever, I know that weird weather patterns around a physicist's house means he has a secret laboratory in the basement is about to break the space-time continuum and spend 23-87 episodes trying to put it back together.

Just to prepare you in case you want to pencil that into your 2020 plans.

Ooohh, that's true!  That is a good point!  

Does it apply if he's not working as a physicist at the moment?  That was his training and he worked as one for awhile, but then discovered he could make more money in IT, so he does IT for our hospital system and tells everyone about physics whenever they give him the opportunity.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, Terabith said:

Ooohh, that's true!  That is a good point!  

Does it apply if he's not working as a physicist at the moment?  That was his training and he worked as one for awhile, but then discovered he could make more money in IT, so he does IT for our hospital system and tells everyone about physics whenever they give him the opportunity.  

That's even better!! A frustrated, unrecognized genius stuck pushing buttons by day, mad weather-anomoly-creating experimenter by night, on the cusp of the discovery that will change the world forever! It practically writes itself!

Where is a TV executive when you need them?!

• Like 5
  • Haha 12

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

The whole city has major micro climates, too.  On many occasions, we'll be visiting my MIL, who does not have a monolith in her neighborhood, and it will be raining on one side of the house but sunny and dry on the other side.  

Eerie, Indiana confirmed.

or

He's already broken the space-time continuum and you're actually mid-episodes. That would explain Putin's brother.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

We have a Mediterranean climate—dryish air and no rain pretty much all the way from late Spring through mid-Fall.  So our clayey ground in the backyard bakes pretty hard, and even weeds don’t grow in it, except...

In the shaded and a bit dewy (I surmise) microclimate under the preschooler size plastic picnic table.  It would have it’s own little weed patch growing under it, wherever we put it, and if we moved it, another would start under it and the first one would die back in the hot sun.  Really funny.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

The whole city has major micro climates, too.  On many occasions, we'll be visiting my MIL, who does not have a monolith in her neighborhood, and it will be raining on one side of the house but sunny and dry on the other side.  

we get this phenomenon a lot - rain in one spot, sunny on the other   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terabith said:

I do not have a carport, but I live in a land of microclimates.  Yesterday morning, I sat outside, drinking coffee and playing on the internet while listening to the rain in the woods.  The woods ON my property. About 2 hours in, it started to rain on me.  

• Like 2

Well we had a Willy-Willy (Dust devil) form in ours one time.  ( it’s open at the back and the other door was up and the breeze came in straight and went out swirling across the paddock.  And we discovered last night when chucking a frisby that there’s a wind channel that picks it up between the shed and the house (at least that’s my story 😆).  Our Russian neighbours probably have some kind of relationship to Putin’s brother.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We would have some moisture issues, but I don't think it rained in our carport (old house). We would have slippery days in there though--the cement would be damp and slippery, or else the snow would be so dry and powdery that it was slippery on the cement. Our patio would not be slippery in the same way, and they were connected with a little breezeway. The carport was on the side of the house, and the patio was on the back, so it was off the corner of the carport.

26 minutes ago, SusanC said:

How big is your carport? Can you fit an airplane? The Boeing hangar in Everett, WA has something similar -

http://awesci.com/worlds-largest-building-has-a-climate-of-its-own/

Definitely couldn't fit an airplane.  It fits one car, plus trash can, recycling can, and lawn mower.  We have a couple of other things out there in it, but it's a "one car carport."  

No Deloreans, but that would be great!  We have a Toyota camry and an 18 year old corolla that we park on the street.