Menu

Help me figure out a covid safer day for tween/teen boys (alternate title: B&H is an idiot)

Drama Llama

We are hosting twin thirteen years olds for the day.  The 4 boys (13, 13, 13, and 10) will be outside for almost the whole day, and will eat outdoors, but I think they're going to need a break midday.  

In non covid times, I'd put on a movie inside, but I'm wondering how to make it safer.  

Options would be 

1) Set up a tent outside, and let them watch the movie there in sleeping bags?  (I don't know if that would better.  Would a tent be safer?). 

2) Put them in the playroom, which has sliding glass doors to the outside, with the doors open.  Give each kid a couple blankets to snuggle up.  Blankets for visitors go straight in the wash.  Downside to this is that my kids sleep in the playroom.  

3) Put them in an upstairs room like the living room, which would have less good ventilation, but we also spend less time there.

Please JAWM on two things.

1) I already know that such a long playdate was a bad idea.  Don't rub it in.

2) Being cautious about covid makes sense, given that we have a beloved 90 year old family member.

Do they have masks to wear inside?  If not, do you have extras to loan them?  

Could you move cars outside and show the movie in the garage with everyone masked?  They could distance better there than in a tent, and there would be more air.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Why can't they spend the day outside? We old folks do on a regular basis, so I don't see why teens can't. Unless it's super cold, ie freezing 

That is what I was thinking.   I think they will have a blast.    Around here we are having a really warm week.    They will be warmer with all the running.    Firepit and warm food or drink it it is chilly. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Why can't they spend the day outside? We old folks do on a regular basis, so I don't see why teens can't. Unless it's super cold, ie freezing 

In other times, I think we'd be fine.  One of my kids is really struggling with sustaining social interactions right now.  It's just the way he's processing his own grief.  So, I think he's going to need a break midday.  

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, maize said:

I'd do the playroom with doors open for ventilation.

Can they wear masks when indoors?

Yeah, they'll be masked indoors, and outdoors unless they're eating socially distanced.  

Sleeping elsewhere, or a garage aren't options.  We aren't at our own house, which makes this a little more complicated.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Yeah, they'll be masked indoors, and outdoors unless they're eating socially distanced.  

Sleeping elsewhere, or a garage aren't options.  We aren't at our own house, which makes this a little more complicated.  

Ventilate the room while they are in it and after they leave; I think you will be fine.

• Like 2

Straight up, you guys have great suggestions, I can't really respond as to why they aren't suggestions without giving more feedback on what's going on with my kids, and I kind of want to protect their privacy.  

Let's assume that we need to watch a movie, and it's daylight so projecting outdoors isn't an option, and there is no garage available.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

In other times, I think we'd be fine.  One of my kids is really struggling with sustaining social interactions right now.  It's just the way he's processing his own grief.  So, I think he's going to need a break midday.  

Then they can all separate and do their own thing outside for a while. Or he can come inside for some rest time while the visitors hang outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought the movie would be on personal devices, so projection wasn't an issue.

In the inside scenarios you gave, I'd go for the playroom. With proper ventilation, I wouldn't be concerned. 

Oh, I hadn't thought about all watching the same movie, on different devices.  That might be possible, actually.  We have a ton of iPads.  

• Like 3

Can you borrow a mini-dvd player from anybody?  We had them when my kids were little and could be cozy with a few kids watching.

Could they watch on a tablet?

These would be more conducive to cozy, cuddled up outdoor viewing to me.  

I would choose to put the room with better ventilation, for being indoors.  

I would also think maybe having headphones or earbuds could work better outside, if it would be harder to hear.

I think I would tend to let them take out or borrow electronics if they wanted, if that would be a good rest activity for them.

I don’t know if you have a lot of traffic noise or wind noise — it can surprisingly make things hard to hear outside.  Maybe a Bluetooth speaker if you are going to have them watch on a tablet?

I don’t know if you would be doing DVD or streaming.

The visiting boys might want to bring a dvd or they might want to bring headphones, they might have Bluetooth headphones or be able to bring them from home.  My older son and husband have these and I think we would let my younger kids borrow them.  

Just thinking 😉

21 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Straight up, you guys have great suggestions, I can't really respond as to why they aren't suggestions without giving more feedback on what's going on with my kids, and I kind of want to protect their privacy.  

Let's assume that we need to watch a movie, and it's daylight so projecting outdoors isn't an option, and there is no garage available.  

You can move a tv outside and still see it. My neighbor watches a portable tv on her deck all the time. Just make sure the sun isn’t behind the set. Those strapping boys can even move furniture outside for the day for comfort. 

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

You can move a tv outside and still see it. My neighbor watches a portable tv on her deck all the time. Just make sure the sun isn’t behind the set. Those strapping boys can even move furniture outside for the day for comfort. 

Thanks everyone!  I thought I’d clarify that the kids were at my house when I wrote this, so they have, thankfully gone home.  Lovely kids, but I have no idea what I was thinking.  

We sorted out a plan that was our best attempt to balance emotional needs and covid safety.  I guess we’ll know in 14 days whether we were successful. 

• Like 1

I say this gently- let it go.  I would just have a regular play date.  You are exposing yourself to just one family- thats not bad!  I feel like the strain of trying to social distance and the worry of trying to cover every angle will overshadow the needed play time.  Let it go.

33 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Thanks everyone!  I thought I’d clarify that the kids were at my house when I wrote this, so they have, thankfully gone home.  Lovely kids, but I have no idea what I was thinking.  

We sorted out a plan that was our best attempt to balance emotional needs and covid safety.  I guess we’ll know in 14 days whether we were successful. 

I get the juggling.  We have entertained a few people on our patio about 5-6 times since March.  I'm attending an outdoor bonfire (weather permitting) next weekend with about 10 girlfriends that I miss dearly.  This is my dance troupe and I was used to seeing them all once or twice a week.  Some I've known for 15+ years.  Clearly, not doing ANY of this is The Best way to stay safe and I do have a vulnerable child.  It's HARD not living life fully for a whole year  . . . and I'm an adult with a lot of patience.  In my twenties I would be clawing through the walls to get out.  Right now, visiting outside before the snow flies seems like the best coping mechanism.