Menu

What OTC allergy drugs am I looking for?

Laura Corin

I use Pseudoeohedrine Hydrochloride. 120mg for 12 hours relief.

Or, Phenylephrine HCL (presumably Hydrochloride) 10mg for 4 hours relief.

I don't take either on a daily basis, just when I need them. Those are the only things that work well for my sinuses. Unfortunately if dh takes either he becomes irrationally angry. Fortunately, he figured that out early on and switched to Loratadine, 10 mg for 24 hours relief.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I use Pseudoeohedrine Hydrochloride. 120mg for 12 hours relief.

Or, Phenylephrine HCL (presumably Hydrochloride) 10mg for 4 hours relief.

I don't take either on a daily basis, just when I need them. Those are the only things that work well for my sinuses. Unfortunately if dh takes either he becomes irrationally angry. Fortunately, he figured that out early on and switched to Loratadine, 10 mg for 24 hours relief.

Those are decongestants, and great, but not antihistamines. Just FYI for OP. 

• Like 1

Cetirizine is the most effective, lasts 24 hours, but can make you drowsy. Not as bad as say, diphenhydramine, but a bit. I take it at night for that reason. 

Fexofenadine is my second choice. Not nearly as effective for me, but non drowsy. Take ever 12 hours. 

Loratadine is useless in my opinion, at least at the levels in over the counter pills

For long term control the steroid nasal sprays are the best. Take up to a week to get good control, but work really well. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Those are decongestants, and great, but not antihistamines. Just FYI for OP. 

Oops, i meant to comment on that but got distracted trying to spell everything correctly! I have all the symptoms you mentioned along with sinus headaches, but decongestant is sufficient for dealing with them. Perhaps by getting rid of the sinus issues anything else becomes very minor?

I think Loratadine is the generic Claritin, so that is an antihistamine (@ktgrok?)

Hahaha, nevermind, i see she already addressed it!

Edited by SusanC
asked and answered
  • Like 1

I take diphenhydramine, 1/2 a dose as needed and nasal spray once per day. It's enough to control my allergies which are awful this time of year.

I found that most of the others (Loratidine, Cetirizine, Fexofenadine, I've even tried Montelukast which may not be OTC) either don't work at all for me or make me really crazy cranky, irritable and depressed. 

• Like 1

Cetirizine plus Famitodine if there is any skin involvement/itching (Ranitidine is more effective as an H2 for me, but has been pulled from the US market due to contamination. I don't know if it is still available in the UK). Both are available in prescription and OTC strengths. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Cetirizine is the most effective, lasts 24 hours, but can make you drowsy. Not as bad as say, diphenhydramine, but a bit. I take it at night for that reason. 

Fexofenadine is my second choice. Not nearly as effective for me, but non drowsy. Take ever 12 hours. 

Loratadine is useless in my opinion, at least at the levels in over the counter pills

For long term control the steroid nasal sprays are the best. Take up to a week to get good control, but work really well. 

Cetirizine doesn’t make me feel tired, and I actually sleep much better on the days I take it. My husband has much worse allergies than me and he finds if he takes it daily, even half a dose, his eyes dry out, he loses his sense of taste and smell, and gains some weight. He is trying to wean himself off. 

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

I use Flonase spray and fexofenadine (brand name allegra).

Both ceterizine (Zyrtec)  and loratadine (Claritin) have depression as a side effect, and I rather have a runny nose than feel like I don't want to live.

Yup - two of my kids react with depression/cranky/crying bouts/irritability with those two. Thankfully the on with the worst allergies is like me and does fine on them. 

I did not know that Allegra was less likely to do that - I may try that with the sensitive ones if that is the case. Generally all I can do for them is the nasal spray, and if it is bad I give diphenhydramine at bedtime, so it mostly wears off by the next day. 

40 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Fluticasone nasal spray. An antihistamine like cetirizine will help with  itchiness, but it’s a nasal spray that will help most with nasal complaints.

For eye itching we use ketitofen fumarate (Spelling is a bit off) or olopatadine.

Oh yes, the eye drops work well - burn a bit, but work. 

1 minute ago, sbgrace said:

Cetirizine--it does not make me drowsy, though I know it does for some.

You could try a nasal steroid. I don't like nasal sprays, but given these are minimally systemic, it might be a good option if it works for you. 

Flonase makes a "sensitive" version that is such a fine mist that it doesn't feel like anything at all. I use it for the kids. IT's less strong, so follow dosing, but alcohol free, fragrance free, and so fine it sort of freaks me out to not feel it at all when I use it. 

• Like 2