Menu

Doesn't make sense - insomnia

Night Elf

I was in an accident last Tuesday. I injured my chest, probably because I was thrown forward and the seatbelt locked. Anyway, I was prescribed a muscle relaxer and a pain pill. So I've noticed that when I take both of those at night near bedtime, I cannot get to sleep! I feel sleepy for a little while and try to close my eyes but I don't fall asleep. It's now nearly 2:30 am and I'm still not ready for bed. All I want to do is sleep! I've got the chiropractor super early in the morning and then plan on going car shopping tomorrow. If I'm dead tired, I won't be able to make good decisions. Ugh.

• Sad 9

I'm sorry you were in such a bad accident. The insomnia could be anxiety from the accident. Is it still on your mind? If you don't feel well, you could wait a bit to shop for a car.

The chiropractor sounds good. You might also consider Cranial Sacral therapy. They loosen the fascia that tightens when you're in an experience like this. It could make you feel better.

• Like 1

Do you think you still need both the muscle relaxant and the pain pill? I was prescribed a muscle relaxant after an accident and used it just for a few days. 

Talk with your doctor about whether you can stop one of the meds (I'd stop the muscle relaxant first, myself) as an experiment, to see if that helps with your sleep. If the first attempt doesn't work, you could try going off the other med. 

I had a neck injury, so different from yours, but my PT said what my gut had told me--if you're stabilized to the point where you've controlled swelling and aren't in pain all the time, going off pain meds can help you listen to your body's feedback on what posture and movement is okay for you and where your limits are. It was part of my recovery to listen to my body and increase my range of motion and activity level just up to the point of pain but not into it, if that makes sense.

You're still in the immediate aftermath of the accident, so you may need one or both medications longer, but it is worth talking with your doctor and chiro about when might be safe to try tapering down the meds. You can always go back on them if needed.

I hope you start to feel better soon. Healing is a process, made up of small shifts and changes for the better.

• Like 1

That is how my body responds to hydrocodone.  I’ve used it twice after surgeries -oral and knee- and while it makes fell me so drowsy, I literally cannot sleep and am awake for hours.  it was super frustrating given the circumstances, so I stopped taking it and switched to alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen for a day or so. 

Do you need the pain relief? Are you taking them around the clock? IMHO you don’t have to take it just because they prescribed it/gave it to you.  But I am pretty low pharmaceutical intervention unless fully indicated and tolerated. 

Im so sorry for your accident.  Gentle hugs and prayers for peace and healing for your body. 

Was the pain medication a narcotic - like hydrocodone? Those are SUPPOSED to make you sleepy, but in me they make me relaxed BUT awake. They give me insomnia for sure. Every time. After I gave birth to DS via emergency C-section and 40 hours of labor, no sleep, etc I got narcotics in my IV and they gave me insomnia, so I was up all night AGAIN! 

It is an uncommon, but known, side effect in some people. 

If that's the issue just take only the muscle relaxer, but not the prescription pain medication. I've never heard of muscle relaxers keeping you awake, so you should be fine wihtout the other one. 

3 hours ago, LarlaB said:

That is how my body responds to hydrocodone.  I’ve used it twice after surgeries -oral and knee- and while it makes fell me so drowsy, I literally cannot sleep and am awake for hours. 

Yup. 

Although, I also am one of the people that processes hydrocodone in such a way that it makes me feel REALLY good. So I can't sleep, but I don't care, lol. 

I'm very cautious with hydrocodone because it really makes me feel amazing, so I'm guessing I'm at a higher risk of addiction.

I dropped the hydrocodone. I think it was the culprit. I took it 2 nights and was awake both nights. I took only a muscle relaxer last night with no problems. I do not take either around the clock. I thought taking them at bedtime would help me sleep. It hurts to lay down. They gave me a prescription strength ibuprofen and am taking that only now. It's been a week and I still hurt. My chiropractor can't help because my pain is in the sternum. I just have to wait for it to get better.

I did go car shopping. I replaced my wrecked Hyundai Sonata with a 2019 Kia Optima. I really like it! It's fun to drive. It was more money than I wanted to spend but DH said we could easily handle it. So I got it. I just wanted to get out of my rental. It was a Nissa Versa and I just didn't like it. The other car they had was a Hyundai Accent but it had a strong smoke smell in it so I refused that one. Anyway, I'm happy with my Kia. 

I am still a little spooked when driving. I refuse to go near that grocery store during traffic times. 🙂

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I dropped the hydrocodone. I think it was the culprit. I took it 2 nights and was awake both nights. I took only a muscle relaxer last night with no problems. I do not take either around the clock. I thought taking them at bedtime would help me sleep. It hurts to lay down. They gave me a prescription strength ibuprofen and am taking that only now. It's been a week and I still hurt. My chiropractor can't help because my pain is in the sternum. I just have to wait for it to get better.

I did go car shopping. I replaced my wrecked Hyundai Sonata with a 2019 Kia Optima. I really like it! It's fun to drive. It was more money than I wanted to spend but DH said we could easily handle it. So I got it. I just wanted to get out of my rental. It was a Nissa Versa and I just didn't like it. The other car they had was a Hyundai Accent but it had a strong smoke smell in it so I refused that one. Anyway, I'm happy with my Kia. 

I am still a little spooked when driving. I refuse to go near that grocery store during traffic times. 🙂

Great update except I'm sorry you're still experiencing pain.