Menu

Share with me your favorite recipes

Terabith

9 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Can you give examples of some things you like?  

Our general rotation involves spaghetti, mac and cheese, chicken noodle casserole, chicken with black beans and rice and cheese casserole, pot roast, chicken gnocchi soup with kale, meat loaf, sometimes pork chops or pork loin, burgers, breakfast for dinner, quesadillas, chicken marsala (though the kids aren't wild about that one but it's delicious), Hawaiian chicken, chicken tikka masala.  We eat a lot of chicken, which is fine, because we all like it, but branching out can be good.  

Rosemary Ranch chicken - recipe is for kabobs but I just use chicken breasts (less work!) https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/64513/rosemary-ranch-chicken-kabobs/

I serve it with roasted potatoes (sweet or white) and whatever veggies are in season or in the freezer. 

We've made this when we had a large group of teens over. They all enjoyed it (even the super picky eater). I usually try to make extra so we can have it the next night cut up on a salad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

May I  please have the chicken gnocchi soup recipe?

Do you like sausage?  I make a lot of food with various forms of sausage -- lentils with sausage, cabbage and carrots with kielbasa, apples and sausage.

Do you like Asian food?  Peanut noodles, and egg rolls in a bowl are hits here

Other Italian food?  One of my kids likes to make homemade pizza, and the other likes to make spaghetti carbonara.  

Love Asian and Italian foods!  Not crazy about sausage or bacon.  I'll use bacon or sausage as garnishes or ingredients, but I don't like them as a center of a dish.  

I love lentils!  I'd kinda forgotten about them, even though I got a bunch before the pandemic hit.  I should make something with them.  That would be good.  

8 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Rosemary Ranch chicken - recipe is for kabobs but I just use chicken breasts (less work!) https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/64513/rosemary-ranch-chicken-kabobs/

I serve it with roasted potatoes (sweet or white) and whatever veggies are in season or in the freezer. 

We've made this when we had a large group of teens over. They all enjoyed it (even the super picky eater). I usually try to make extra so we can have it the next night cut up on a salad.

This looks great!  I love rosemary, and mine is flourishing right now.  

We probably do more sheet pan meals than anything else.

Italian sausage + onions and peppers + potatoes - tossed with just a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper

Mini-meatloaves + carrots or green beans (yes, you can just roast green beans) with garlic bread

Last night I had some chicken thighs and we had acorn squash in our produce box so we had parmesan and herb coated chicken and acorn squash with the Harvest Grain mix from Trader Joe's. That came out pretty well.

My kids' favorite meal is sesame noodles with steak. It's the tiniest bit of steak sliced thin after it comes off the grill pan. Sesame noodles are just spaghetti noodles tossed with sesame oil, soy, a bit of rice wine vinegar and a pinch of brown sugar. And I slice up a ton of raw veggies really thin. Grated carrots and chopped scallions always, but then whatever I have on hand. Often bell peppers, sugar snap peas, and zucchini sliced really thin. And chopped spinach or arugula.

• Like 2

I don't like to work with recipes on weekdays because it takes too long.  So I have some go-to no recipe meals that we like.  Some recent hits have been:

- black bean tacos: about 3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained, heated through in a sauce pan with juice of a lime and some cumin.  Serve with whatever taco toppings you like.  

- Bean burritos: I just used canned refried beans, add some cooked lentils for a meaty texture, and some diced onion.  Serve with whatever burrito toppings you like.  

- Mushroom spaghetti sauce: saute a lot of finely chopped mushrooms in a bit of olive oil until significantly reduced in volume, maybe 10 minutes?  If you've got it, add minced onion, carrot, and celery in there, too.  Add jarred tomato puree, Italian seasoning, lots of garlic, a couple spoonfuls of sugar, and some cooked trained lentils for a meatier sauce.  Cook on low for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the noodles of your choice.  

My easiest meal is this: cut up zucchini (courgette?) capsicum (red pepper?), onion, sweet potato, toss in olive oil, put it in the oven till cooked but not crisp. Put a bit of garlic and olive oil in a fry pan, thyme & rosemary if you have it, then shove in the veggies, then put chicken thighs on top. Let it all cook.  You can eat it like that or serve with pasta.

I could eat it all day. 

Turning things into burgers works for my kids. Cook some chicken strips, add the bun - chicken burger. Same with fish (they don't really eat red meat). You can put whatever veg they eat on the side. My kids like everything separate. Macaroni cheese means pasta in one bowl, grated cheese in another, tomato in another, and they just take bites. No mixing! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just found this thread and thought I would share some new recipes I have tried this school year. I can't have dairy, so I sometimes portion things out for myself before adding any cheese or dairy. I have a tri-lasagna pan that allows me to cook my own portion without dairy as well. 

https://www.budgetbytes.com/easy-cilantro-lime-chicken/

https://bakeatmidnite.com/mexicali-hashbrown-taco-casserole/

https://www.yellowblissroad.com/teriyaki-turkey-rice-bowl/   (used store bought teriyaki sauce)

https://lilluna.com/green-chili-smothered-burritos/

https://thatlowcarblife.com/fried-cabbage-with-sausage/

• Thanks 1

I tweaked this recipe a bit.   https://www.littledairyontheprairie.com/italian-chicken-bacon-sandwich/

This made 3 sandwiches. I cooked 6 pieces of bacon, and set the bacon aside. I drained all but a couple tablespoons of the bacon grease and added a large can of cooked chicken breast (drained and shredded). I added 1/2 tbsp of oregano and basil and heated through. I added 2-3 tablespoons of parmesan and heated until it melted. I added enough ranch dressing to help the meat hold together some. I added half the bacon, crumbled. 

I used a special bread bought in the deli department, sliced it open, and added mayo to each side. I put the meat on one side and some bacon slices and provolone cheese on the other side. I toasted them in the oven until the cheese was melted.

You could add lettuce, tomato, onion, etc. I avoid dairy, so I took my portion out before adding the cheese and added some ranch dressing that I use. 

This is a three-generation family favorite.  It's called "Saint's Stew" -- haha, it was originally a special church recipe that was used for a community-wide lunch.

I rarely use onion soup mix or creamed soups anymore for anything, but this recipe calls for those things.  (And it does make the recipe super easy.)  It will smell amazing while it's cooking.

-  1 can cream of mushroom soup

-  1 package dry onion soup mix

-  1 soup can full of red wine (burgundy is suggested, but any not very sweet red wine will do);  water can always be substituted, but wine is so much better.  🙂  

-  1/2 teaspoon each of:  dried (not ground) thyme, dried (not ground) marjoram, and dill weed.

-  Salt and pepper to taste  (You might be able to leave out the salt entirely, since there's salt in both the added soup ingredients.)

-  2 pounds stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces  (This amount is flexible, anywhere between 1 and 2 pounds;  You can add more vegetables if you use less meat.)

-  Other stew ingredients of your choice.  Our favorites:  Carrots, onions, potatoes, frozen peas.  Chop everything into stew-sized pieces.  (Not necessary for the frozen peas, of course!)

Mix all ingredients together and place in a covered casserole.  Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours. 

Alternatively (this is what I prefer):  Bake everything except the vegetables at 300 degrees for 3 hours.  Cook the vegetables (all together is fine) on the stovetop in a little water in a covered saucepan until tender.  Drain.  Add to the meat stew at the end before serving.  This way, the vegetables retain a nicer color and a little more of their own flavor.

The quantity of vegetables is flexible.  If you want the stew saucier, add fewer veggies.  If you want a very hearty stew, add more.  You just kind of eye it and decide how much you want.  (We always went with a heartier stew!)

• Like 1