Menu

? about allergy, fluid in ears, etc. - in an adult

StaceyinLA

I’ve had what I think is fluid behind my eardrum for a while now. I suspect it could be a dairy allergy, and I have not completely removed dairy from my diet. I haven’t been to the doctor because frankly other than just feeling like there is fluid in there, I really am not having other symptoms, and would like to see if there’s anything I can do to try and clear it up on my own.

What are the odds this is what I’m dealing with, and any suggestions for what might help.

3 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

Have you tried Sudafed?  The ask-at-the-pharmacy-because-it's-behind-the-counter stuff.  You want to make sure it has Pseudoephedrine in it.  Not phenyl something.  It's very drying.

I have not tried Sudafed. Would that be preferable to Benadryl for trying to dry it up? I struggle with Benadryl, and can only take it at night. I’ve only tried it once/twice. I’ve tried Mucinex a few times just to see if I could loosen it up and have it drain (sorry if that’s gross), but no real luck with that. IDK if I’ve tried anything consistently enough for it to have time to work. I HATE taking medicines of any kind.

4 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

Oh Sudafed is way better than Benadryl for drying.  Honestly.  It's really really good.

Okay great! I will get some tomorrow.

I’m also really just curious what the odds are that this could be from something like a dairy allergy. I remember my grandson having this issue, and the hive saying dairy was a likely culprit. I just don’t know what else to think. I almost instantly have mucous/phlegm (sorry again) after having a coffee or latte with dairy milk or cream, although I swear sometimes I feel like it happens after I have one with cashew cream. I kinda even wondered if it could be sugar. It’s so odd, and it’s a fairly new thing.

Edited by StaceyinLA

13 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Why not get rid of dairy and see if it resolves?  Seems like that would be the simplest solution.

I’m working on that. The only issue I’m having is with my 1 cup of morning coffee. I’m trying to give that up completely, but it’s a struggle. I just cannot find a good replacement.

The thing is, even if it resolves, I still wonder if the fluid that’s there will just disappear. At this point I feel like I need to do something to try and dry it up, and I also wonder how long it would take after eliminating dairy completely to see improvement.

Nasonex nasal spray was prescribed for my DD years ago because it improves eustachian tube functioning (at the time, it was off label) and can drain fluid and avoid ear infections in kids prone to them. Nasacort is the OTC version and may be worth trying. 

46 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I’d suggest you go 21 days without dairy, then eat some ice cream about 3 days in a row and see if it suddenly flares up. 

Elimination diets recommend 30 days.

I am allergic to dust mites, and so I have some congestion all the time. There's a definite increase in congestion when I have dairy on a regular basis, and for me, even the little bit of cream in my hot tea in the morning for three days in a row is enough. It also causes inflammation: my hands hurt.

My ears get congested with dairy.  It lasts for at least three or four days each time I have it, and sometimes longer.  Sudafed helps tremendously, but it still takes time to go away.  Cut out the dairy for a full week, preferably two, and see what happens.   

3 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

I’m working on that. The only issue I’m having is with my 1 cup of morning coffee. I’m trying to give that up completely, but it’s a struggle. I just cannot find a good replacement.

The thing is, even if it resolves, I still wonder if the fluid that’s there will just disappear. At this point I feel like I need to do something to try and dry it up, and I also wonder how long it would take after eliminating dairy completely to see improvement.

Oat milk is better in coffee than rice milk.

9 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

Oat milk is better in coffee than rice milk.

I’ve never used rice milk. I’ve made homemade cashew cream and I just can’t enjoy it the same. I am at the point where I’m just hoping to cut coffee out completely because I really feel like if I have to find a way to like it, I may as well just not have it. I’ve wanted to ditch caffeine for a while, but right now I’m just really struggling to give up that one cup in the morning. I think it’s just the habit. I’m gonna try and replace with tea.

I may try some oat milk just to see. I’ve looked at some creamers like nut pods and stuff, but honestly I just can’t justify loading my coffee up with oils and other crap in place of grass-fed cream. I’d rather not do that.

Maybe I should make some oat milk. I have lots of oats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I understand your experience, the coffee with cream was the hardest part for me, too!

Everyone has different taste preferences, but to me it has to do with mouth feel. Nut milks just don’t do it for me, in coffee.  The two combinations that I have found most satisfying are coffee with oat milk, and strong chai tea with coconut milk. Neither are the same, but are tolerable substitutes. Honestly I found it easier to bite the bullet and drink my simple 10 ounces in the morning straight black. 

Same. I haven't found any substitutes that have the same mouth feel, so for me it was just easier to give it up altogether. 😞 Well, except I can have a cup of hot tea with cream about once every three or four days in the winter. I just drink iced tea otherwise. 🙂

10 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I understand your experience, the coffee with cream was the hardest part for me, too!

Everyone has different taste preferences, but to me it has to do with mouth feel. Nut milks just don’t do it for me, in coffee.  The two combinations that I have found most satisfying are coffee with oat milk, and strong chai tea with coconut milk. Neither are the same, but are tolerable substitutes. Honestly I found it easier to bite the bullet and drink my simple 10 ounces in the morning straight black. 

I suspect (given your low carb habits, right?) that you’d opt for unsweetened oat milk. If you’re just having one cup in the morning, and you’re not intermittent fasting, you might want to try sweetened oat milk first. It tastes better and may help you make the texture adjustment first, then you could try it unsweetened. 

I do have a small amount of sugar in my coffee. I’d likely opt for unsweetened milk only due to the amount of sweetener - I’d want to control it.

The coffee issue really is a problem. I just don’t have a lot of vices. Honestly, it’s something I want to give up for multiple reasons, but I am struggling with it, and I think it’s just the connotation of that relaxing cup of brew in the mornings before my day gets started. I just need to find an alternative.

Dairy doesn't affect me at all with my ears. So it may not make your ears better either.   Allergies and autoimmune flares affects my ears.  And unfortunately, since I have Sjogren's and am so dry,  congestion just dries in my Eustachian tube.  

Now I have noticed that since I have been using Dymista - flonase plus an antihistamine nasal spray- which started in 2014, it has been a bit better.  Since I also added a third antihistamine into the mixture- Zyrtec, even better.  

I get fluid in my ears but in my case it's from seasonal allergies (seasonal is a misnomer because there's always something blooming all year that gets me). If you haven't already gone to get Sudafed I want to add that you should make sure you get the real thing. Generic is fine but if you don't get the kind you have to sign for, it's not going to be very helpful. Make sure you get pseudophedrine. You'll have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter and show your ID, but it's worth it over the other OTC stuff.

21 hours ago, perkybunch said:

Have you tried Sudafed?  The ask-at-the-pharmacy-because-it's-behind-the-counter stuff.  You want to make sure it has Pseudoephedrine in it.  Not phenyl something.  It's very drying.

Well my husband brought some home for me, and it’s the wrong kind. Has they phenylephrine. Guess I’ll have to try and swap it for the correct stuff.

5 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Oh there is a big difference in how this works versus the real stuff. You have to buy the real stuff at the pharmacy counter, they no longer keep it on the store shelf (due to its use in meth production).

I think he asked the pharmacist. Apparently the Sudafed company itself is no longer? I have no clue. If he can’t figure it out, I’ll have to get it myself when I’m out tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I just backed up and saw this post. I use Nasacort as long as I can, it is less drying to my nasal passage, but if I’ve waited too long, I need to use the Flonase. 

When DD was on it, it was as a daily preventative. It seemed to work well-she went from having frequent ear infections to not having any (I think they took her off it at age 7-8 because she was past the peak age for them). She uses Flonase during allergy season for congestion. (As do I-I can't take real Sudafed because I'm on medication that increased my heart rate anyway)

My mind is blown by all you people trying to give up coffee.  I've been trying to find a way to drink coffee for the antioxidants.  I just hate the stuff, even with enough cream and sugar to make it basically ice cream.  I've more or less given it up.  I'll just stick to blueberries and dark chocolate.

My husband switched from coke to black coffee, so I know it can be done, but ugh.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

You can bake instant coffee into a batch of brownies. Or mix it up in chocolate cake frosting.

You can also use coffee to rub down a big hunk of meat, like brisket, before roasting it. 

Ooohhhh.....you're BRILLIANT!  I will try this.  

Oh gosh I had so many posts last spring about this.  I was suffering from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction brought on by spring allergies.

I use Nasacort everyday right before spring starts and all during the summer.  Flonase (even the kind without alcohol) gives me headaches for some reason but Nasacort doesn't at all.  My DH is just the opposite and can't use the Nasacor but uses the Flonase. It can take up to 2 weeks for this to fully work.

Sudafed from behind the pharmacy counter. Be sure and ask if you can take it with the nose spray because I've never taken them together. I don't take Sudafed after 4pm because they say it can keep you up at night but doesn't affect everyone that way.

The fluid can cause me to experience tinnitus occasionally which really sucks so I try and stay on top of the meds.

Rubbing Vick's Vapor Rub behind my ears helps ease the fullness too, so I sometimes do that before bed.